Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i liked the movie but i enjoyed the book a lot more, hth op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hell Yeah posted:

ok the problem with this movie for me is that he's like trapped on mars, right? he's in a deadly situation with his back against the wall, and for him it's the best thing ever. matt damon seems like he is having so much fun in the movie, totally feeling himself like never before, and yet the guy is basically about to die constantly. it's like if castaway featured tom hanks rocking out and having fun all over the beach wearing sunglasses and cracking cold beers with a party dog.

(honest to god seriouspost) in my copy of the book there are 'discussion questions' at the end of the novel, and one of them brings up the idea that Watney uses his sense of humor and grandeur as a defense mechanism against his incredibly likely demise. I think Matt Damon did a good job working that angle and it was entirely on purpose.

TBH if I was stranded on Mars I'd be on some poo poo too man

• Locked thread