Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The worst part was when they were texting each other or whatever. You'd see the words being typed while matt damon narrates it in his head, then you see it on the receiving person's screen and then they read it out loud so the jokes were triple shoehorned in and was really annoying.

Most of the movie was like someone watched neil degrasse tyson jerk himself off over the universe and thought that's what scientists actually talk/act like. The fact that it led to a huge uptick in people using "science" as a verb at work was also really annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Razorwired posted:

You're not really the target audience. The target audience is dweebs who think 10000 hours of watching the Cosmos reboot and reading XKCD will make you an astrophysicist.

Yeah, seriously. The fact that this guy thinks he is the target audience perpetuates the stereotype of engineers not knowing poo poo about science and are just a bunch of wannabes.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

General Dog posted:

The Martian is okay but Interstellar is better

Interstellar was pretentious garbage that almost put me to sleep. Everyone at work when it came out was praising it for its theoretical accuracy with the black/worm hole stuff but a lot of it is still super far-fetched, and scientific accuracy isn't relevant to me when I'm watching a movie. It was just a movie that was nice to look at but I don't even remember what the plot was beyond someone jumping into a black hole for questionable reasons.

I didn't like the Martian too much either for similar reasons, except it is more targeted to the "I loving love science" crowd where they use science as a verb and think stuff like "what the bleep do we know" is profound.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

ElGroucho posted:

Look at me, I'm sciencing! - Some loving bitch nerd

For a while after that at conferences there always seemed to be at least one grad student giving a talk that described how much work is left to do in the field they are talking about and had a slide like "so let's science the poo poo out of it!" and I wanted to die every time. also I wanted them to die, with me.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Colonel Cancer posted:

I think I say it in every thread about space movies, but Pandorum is an amazing space movie and apparently it's on Netflix now.

I liked the movie a lot but don't do what I did and watch it super drunk the first time because you will get super confused toward the end. I went in expecting a simple scifi alien movie but for the last third or so i was just like "what".

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

lol this guy just called a mainstream blockbuster movie "pretentious"

I'm not the only one. Just check out a lot of the reviews.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

suck my woke dick posted:

it was a pretentious poo poo rear end movie that made idiots think they just experienced minblown.gif irl

see also: inception. That was also a mainstream blockbuster and it was pretentious as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

i am mentally exhausted by a movie about a ship going through a black hole, my opinions on movies are clearly valid

Do you know what pretentious means

• Locked thread