Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dancer
May 23, 2011
I would like to play. I'm hoping a smaller group won't be as thoroughly exhausting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Dear diary,

I woke up this morning with the sudden uncontrollable urge to murder some bougie scum. By sheer happenstance, I woke up inside the mansion of these suspicious nazi-sounding bastards, so hey, it all worked out. I managed to improvise a nice sturdy gallows on one of their bannisters. The wiley nazis have cleverly disguised themselves as hard-working members of the American proletariat, but I'm sure they can't hide for long. Tonight, someone hangs.

One of them has a distinctly German sounding first name...

##vote Lumpen

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

##vote Dancer

Trying to hard to fit in with us hard working locals.

Smells like privilege.

I do have privilege. I have the privilege of being a cog in the machine guillotine that shall bring justice to the oppressed masses. Why don't you sit down by the fire and hear my tale of the permanent crisis of capitalism.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Please ignore my avatar tia.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Kashuno posted:

Notice it says

ISK MY

I can only assume this means 'I should kill many you'

not exactly great grammar there, but it's fact ##vote DBD

What if it's a reference to Eve? "ISK (I) M(iss) Y(ou)"? We are looking at a former member of the bourgeoisie who is now down on their luck, has not quite yet acknowledged the oppressive nature of money and capitalism, and is nostalgic about when he was on top. We have a golden opportunity to recruit a fellow potential fighter in the struggle. You should not be pushing them away.

##vote Kash

Dancer
May 23, 2011
(Welp gently caress I was legit unaware that you already had 2 votes)

##unvote

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I find myself in the awkward position of not seeking someone's head. How can we achieve an upheaval of the social order without decisive action?

Hmm, what's the most bougie sounding name on that list?

##vote Hal

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Lumpen posted:

Confirmin' totally Town, amigos!

If I recall, it was mentioned towards the beginning of the westworld thread that you capitalize both starting T's when you're actually town. This is suspect behaviour, comrade!

Dancer
May 23, 2011

flerp posted:

the only way to do is by turboing kash btw

What is this "turboing" you speak of, and does it involve an extra-quick guillotine? I might be interested...

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

hi dancer how many games have you played before?

This is my 3rd.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

##vote b-minus1

The statistically safe vote

Care to elaborate? "statistics" sounds like something a CIA spook would use to destabilize a democratically elected government.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

I think Dead Cow might have rolled scum.

Calls me out for a serious vote on dancer (who probably also rolled scum).

New or not, Dancer was acting a bit weird with that self-conscious unvote.

I think DC looks worse for it.

##vote DC

For whatever it's worth (and I know there's a chance I'm making things worse by defending myself): I just got out of the Westworld game where it was pointed out multiple times that 3rd vote on someone while still in jokephase is apparently bad. I imagine it's worse with 7 to lynch instead of 12 to lynch.

If I look scummy then so be it; it's not like you can have a serious case on anyone D1. ##unvote, I'll be around to contribute to a hammer (including myself, since I'm pretty sure that's better than a no-lynch)

Dancer
May 23, 2011
AA is starting to look like he isn't necessarily a friend of the common folk.

Starts with OMGUS:

I think Dead Cow might have rolled scum.

Calls me out for a serious vote on dancer (who probably also rolled scum).

New or not, Dancer was acting a bit weird with that self-conscious unvote.

I think DC looks worse for it.

##vote DC

Then an almost-OMGUS (not in reaction to a vote, but in reaction to mere questioning):

##vote Quid

Looks worst now.
based only on this not unreasonable post by Quid:

Quidthulhu posted:

It seems a bit odd to me that other stuff has happened in thread and DC's still your strongest gut-read. Nothing else? How do you feel about b- and myself being terrible at reading comprehension?

If you're someone who forms such strongly held opinions based off gut reads, which AA looks like so far, then it seems to me that Quid and b-minus' brain-farts should absolutely trigger your scum sensor. Mine is triggered by unreasonably strong conclusions based off poor justification.

##vote AA for now, with the caveat that I'll be around for the final 20 minutes of the day, so if either DC or b- becomes particularly suspect, I can do my part to push the pendulum (which I find unlikely given that it's still day 1 and we have basically nothing to work with)

Dancer
May 23, 2011
In the grand scheme of things, I think I find Dead Cow slightly more suspect than you (part of the reason is that he voted for you, in a fashion that might be opportunistic (? can't tell for sure), another part of the reason is that I accept brain-farts happen). BUT it occurs to me that, with this plurality thing, if there's a tie, scum can too easily just select their target. So, on the off-chance that there's exactly 1 scum between the two of you, I'd rather go for the coinflip that it's you, instead of just letting scum choose.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Dead Cow posted:

Plurality is usually both die in the case of a tie I thought.

What I mean is, if the vote is 4-4, scum can swing it with 30 seconds on the clock (or probably like 5 minutes so it's not quite suspect) by changing a single vote.

Speaking of, the person who broke the tie is AA. I don't necessarily see this as scummy behavior right now, but if DC is ever flipped scum, the action becomes retroactively scummy.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
BTW, of all things you will or will not accept newbie-justification for, please accept it for me asking this question. I would like some more experienced players' input. Am I correct in assuming that, if a tie is formed with like 30 seconds left, and I see it formed, I should step in to break it?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
JFC plurality is a mess who came up with this.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
##vote dead cow I don't want a tie, tyvm.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

PLAYER: Dancer
TOWN RATING: 0.5 (Newer Player Buff)
SCUM RATING: 0.0

Joke-phase begins. It's weird how they specifically bolded SCUM, but that's probably just reading into things.

Executioner crumb?

The vote on Kash and subsequent unvote upon realizing it was third vote is weird, but a newer player to be funny with 3rd vote shenanigans in this community may not be so weird.

+0.5 S.R.

+0.5 T.R.

Obv, genuine question which prompted explanation of Bee Man rolling scum indefinitely.

This honestly makes me feel better about them. I'm getting very genuine vibes from Dancer so far this game.

+1.0 T.R.

+0.5 T.R.

This explanation and vote have contradicting logic.

+2 S.R.

PLAYER: Dancer
TOWN RATING: 3.0
SCUM RATING: 2.0

New player Buff puts them at 3 from 2.5, but that contradiction in logic seems really bad.

If you had a reason to believe DC was more suspicious, and were holding a vote on me at the time, while still again, comparing the active lynch leaders, why do you need to rely on the clarification of tie breaking, and voting to break a tie.

It feels like you are using your newness, since it has been directly been questioned by Somber, to your advantage to appear innocuous on your DC vote.

It really strikes me as weird, and makes me want to revisit my early suspicion on that self-aware unvote you made.

BUT I know what it's like to be new here so for now I must think about this.

:thunk:

In that contradition you're referring to, in both cases I was trying to move the vote away from a tie, with an extra factor pressuring me on the second post.

First quote: DC is at 3, b- is at 4. If I vote DC the way I want to vote (between the two of them), I create a tie, and I was worrying that that would allow scum to choose their victim.

DC then gets two votes and is at 5. Then I learn that a tie means both people die.. Then we get to T-2 minutes. The way I see it, Dead Cow is already dead at that point, I worry that a scum might suddenly change something (vote b- / remove vote from DC) to make it a tie again. I vote DC to make it 6-4.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Quidthulhu posted:

Actually, you know what

##vote JFisk

Maybe Hal DID have a N0 cop

Like, a mod might keep information secret, but I don't expect an entire night phase to stealthily happen. And how common is it for there to be a night phase where the cop activates and the scumkill doesn't? (of course on the assumption the doctor that may or may not exist didn't randomly choose just the right person to protect).

No, this sounds pretty ludicrous. I really think we should work under the assumption N0 didn't happen. You might still want to vote for JFisk for different reasons (big lurker), but this reason is a bad one.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Well ok or that, I guess :v:

Dancer
May 23, 2011

b-minus1 posted:

Just trying to make sense of the Hal n0 considering he had like 8 posts

Thought this could have been s n0 cop result. N0 actions seem unlikely in a small game though

In Westworld 2/2 N1 kills were on the biggest lurkers. This just seems to be a trend round these parts.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
And I'm re-reading now that, despite all the words they flung at each other, apparently at the stast of the day AA reached the same conclusion Quid did, and snap-voted JFisk. I kinda wanna ask what's the deal? Am I that weird for it not even crossing my mind that a stealth-N0 would happen? The way I see it it's a foregone conclusion that Hal had not had a chance to use his role yet, ergo he was working on the same info we have.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Quidthulhu posted:

Also I considered it because literally:

I will admit to having missed that. I want to say it looks like just flavour to me, but what do I know.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I have a lot of problems with a lot of the things people are saying the past day.

The first thing I wrote here was something about how I don't like all the "gut reads" on NGO, but then I went through their post history, and there is exactly one post with meaningful content, and it's kinda bullshit:

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I'm convinced that b- is scum and is playing lazy because he got assigned scum AGAIN and is just lolling his way through the game because he's depressed about being scum again. I can't shake this feeling.

It particularly bugs me that there are legitimate cases to be made on b-minus, post-lynch. I personally dislike all these meta/style arguments multiple people have been making (NGO, DBD, I think Quid? or DGK?). I'll list my arguments in ascending order of strength:
a) His strongest scum read before the lynch was flerp, and he seems to have entirely dropped it.
b)

b-minus1 posted:

i dont like this post because i dont get why you care what AA thinks of me. you dont know my role/aligrnement and i dont know yours. let me defendmyself
It's kind of a core gameplay mechanic in mafia (particularly forums based) for people to say what they think of other people so that when someone flips you can try to derive some information from their comments/comments made about them in the past. It should go without saying that not just quid, but all of us, will care about what AA thinks of everyone.
c)

b-minus1 posted:

your rating system is p flawed. +1 for saying yeah im scum lol
+1 for not noticing that lumpen replaced out LOL
ill give you the 0.5s because yeah i was gonna just roll with it and let myself be lynched,but decided not to at the last second. whatever. if anything that should make it pretty obvious what my role is in this game
Note that this post was made before we knew the cop was dead; he seems to be hinting awfully hard at being a miller, presumably just in case he gets investigated at some point. To his credit (at least a little), he references it again after Hal dies, so at least he's being consistent:

b-minus1 posted:

that's a great question. on one hand, im glad to finally roll town. the reason I was wishy washy in the hour before deadline was because of the plurality vote aka no lynch was not an option, and there wasn't much activity at all. I didn't have a particularly strong scum read on dead cow, and knowing my role, I was fine with being a d1 lynch target. i really wasn't trying to come off as defeatist in tone at all. i was approaching it (or at least trying to approach it) from a strategic point of view. then i decided screw it I want to play mafia and decided not to let myself be lynched that easily.
But this quote shows another little problem, which is
d) the sudden significant change of heart with 9 minutes left on the clock. This could mean a few things, one of which could be an acknowledgment that he's about to die, and wanting to take someone else with them.

I don't want to place him at -3 quite yet, with 2 full days left to go, but consider this a vote on b-minus.

Unrelated to all that, seriously, can we stop debating the value of "scum rating/town rating". AA seems to find it useful, and if it makes it easier for him to share his opinions then good on him. If you personally don't find it useful, or take issue with the fact that it goes to 4 instead of going to 5.5 or whatever, then feel free to view them as subjective (which they are). I don't see his system as having inherently more or less value than LumpenLists (which, I understand, are also not seen as universally good, but they have value to some people).

Dancer
May 23, 2011
For clarity: the first thing I posted there that I basically dropped because I focused on B- still applies: NGO's lurking is definitely getting slightly suspect, and it feels like they just wanted to post something that might be seen as scum hunting, without drawing too much attention to their scum-buddy.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Note: I am under the influence of alcohol (having just come from board game night) but I will try to do what you ask quid (with the note that I have already presented my, I believe, strong case against B-, and also a bit against NGO).

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

AA how an argument is presented is just as important as the argument itself. You can't pretend that assigning numbers has any actual meaning when you just arbitrarily shift them based on personal preference. Like you're assigning objective value to the subjective to begin with, but then you're not even sticking with that.

I take issue with the idea that AA was "assigning objective value to the subjective". See my prev post:

Dancer posted:

Unrelated to all that, seriously, can we stop debating the value of "scum rating/town rating". AA seems to find it useful, and if it makes it easier for him to share his opinions then good on him. If you personally don't find it useful, or take issue with the fact that it goes to 4 instead of going to 5.5 or whatever, then feel free to view them as subjective (which they are). I don't see his system as having inherently more or less value than LumpenLists (which, I understand, are also not seen as universally good, but they have value to some people).

Somberbrero posted:

You call me out for my binus callout and then also he's your top scum contender? can you see how that feels contradictory? I appreciate that you're getting your thoughts out there and generating content, but your thoughts should be organized towards 'hey this is person is scum, here's why, now let's kill them.'
It is not at all contradictory to call out X for accusing Y and then also find Y very suspect. As a great person said before, "how an argument is presented is just as important as the argument itself", and whether or not you agree with the fact that Y is suspect, if it is just presented with no justification, the person presenting it are themselves acting in a suspicious fashion (note: I haven't gone back and re-read the entire context of this, my point is just that as an experienced mafia player you should know this, and it feels like you're saying things you don't actually believe i.e. what scum is wont to do).

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Quidthulhu posted:

And to be clear, I think that this IS probably AA's town game, because he historically goes hard on people in odd ways and gets dunked D1 because of it. But I am worrying that since he is leading the charge here and so very clearly wrong about me that you combine that with an incredibly apathetic D1 and we're gonna be down a shitton of town going into D3 simply because scum will be content to sit back and let him lead a group of town who are content to shrug and go "sounds good I guess."

This here is the quintessential example of the following complex situation:

It, at times, does read to me very much like two good faith people (i.e. town) being silly, and juuuust straddling the border of presenting opinions that almost look faked simply because of how forced they are. About a dozen times so far it feels like AA/Quid have been nitpicking about each other over tiny inconsequential details in each others' posts that wouldn't actually be suspect in a vacuum, but They. Keep. Coming. Over. And. Over. Again.

I take *particularly* strong issue with AA declaring Quid "strongest scum read". Like, I don't feel entirely comfortable defending Quid, because a lot of their arguments are pedantic crap, but it's hard to see Quid as *that* suspect in a game where so many decent cases have been made on so many other people. B- is my strongest suspect (as explained earlier), somber is suspect, NGO is suspect... But AA declares Quid "strongest scum read".

AA, do me a favor. Quid is the one person who's most directly in conflict with you. I think there is a chance that that might bias you towards perceiving them as an enemy. Can you play devil's advocate here, assume that you're seeing Quid as a bigger threat than they actually are, and re-read all the stuff the two of you have typed at each other over the past few days. Can you still justify Quid as "strongest scum read"? Note that I am very much not saying that I'm sure they're not scum, just that it looks to me like, if you're legitimately trying to scum-hunt, it's clouding your judgment.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

b-minus1 posted:

i believe it
##vote dgk
why are you doing this?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
This is still a gray area for me. I know nothing about NGO so far, who so many people see as suspect. I think I disagree with the "lurkers are suspect" meta, though I guess I see why it exists. It jumps slightly at me that they have made statements about exactly 2 people, Quid and B-. Also briefly addressed AA. There are 8 other people in the game NGO has not deigned worth their time to comment on.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
My brain hurts. I need to do a list, but I'm on too little sleep and too much alcohol for that.

Before I leave, JFisk, please post, like, something, like, ever? As mentioned in the previous post, I think I'm cool with the existence of lurkers, but then you just show up and fling a vote at AA without any reason and that just seems scummy. That's not very cool.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
That vote didn't get registered. As said before, I'm entirely willing to vote B- so I could hammer, but I would rather do it closer to the deadline (if this were a closed night game I would explicitly ask you to wait for deadline so I can say stuff once I'm back home, at my PC; kinda busy now)

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Deadbeat Dad posted:

The deadline time is loving awful for me and I have to lay a vote down and project who can actually get lynched 7 hours from when I vote because I don't want there to be a no lynch and have my vote being a single vote hanging on somebody that isn't going to get lynched.

Quick note, this game is plurality lynch, and this was brought up in several different posts, and I'm surprised you missed it. I get that you're busy, mistakes happen; I'm not going to count this against you (yet).

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Quidthulhu posted:

Somber
So far, Somber is looking really good as potential scum. Just enough content and apologies to get by D1, flipflopping, bad casework, sideline discussion to generate posts....not liking his content at all.
This is a good position I could get behind.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Kashuno posted:

##vote dancer too drunk to elevator at so throw myb

So, I should go back to your previous post where you actually voiced your complaints against me (since I didn't have a lot of time D2; I kept a few hours free before the deadline but then the hammer happened).

Kashuno posted:

Next on my random list to read is dancer

Good post. Quid's "n0 in the OP" is dumb.

<big post> Looks good to me.

his post on AA is real bad, if one is scum the other probably is.

although........................

DANCER, you give no opinion on who's scum or town, you're just saying words. Give some alignment reads

I take slight issue with your describing my post on AA as bad. I understand that I was going into some pedantic and possibly meaningless arguments, but I will point out that I ended that post with a very specific thing.

Dancer posted:

AA, do me a favor. Quid is the one person who's most directly in conflict with you. I think there is a chance that that might bias you towards perceiving them as an enemy. Can you play devil's advocate here, assume that you're seeing Quid as a bigger threat than they actually are, and re-read all the stuff the two of you have typed at each other over the past few days. Can you still justify Quid as "strongest scum read"? Note that I am very much not saying that I'm sure they're not scum, just that it looks to me like, if you're legitimately trying to scum-hunt, it's clouding your judgment.
I don't think I'm the only one here who believes that AA's tunneling was actively detrimental to town. It both made him more suspect than he is, and it made us (or at least me) question his judgement more. Maybe I phrased the rest of my post poorly, but I considered then, and I still do now, that it would be of more value to us to get AA off his "obsession".

As for alignment reads, in general order of confidence.
Quid's itchy vote trigger finger bothers me, but it has never happened close to the hammer, and I read his posts as a townie getting frustrated.
flerp is probably the worst of the lurkers (tho NGO and JFisk are also bad jfc I get why DBD is frustrated). This is his single post with any content:
One third of it is him re-hashing the same psychoanalytic stats bullshit that other people have done on B-
One third is him commenting on 6 different low-content posters and placing them in three different categories with little discernible reason (Somb & DBD good, Fisk, Kash & DGK "I don't know because they haven't posted", NGO "I can't possibly know even if they do post")
One third of it is him commenting on the Quid/AA slapfight and there's *some* content there, I guess? But, here would be flerp's one chance to comment on two very active posters, who have provided a lot of content... and he proceeds to not reference any of that content at all (because "having dinner right now")
Conclusion: between all the lurkers, flerp is my most likely scum pick
Somb is, as just mentioned, scummy. For a decent-ish case, read Quid's post that I quoted.
JFisk somehow feels like an even bigger lurker than flerp, but doesn't make attempts to cover it up by acting like they're making an effort-post and providing garbage content. lean a bit scum
DBD is making some fairly subtle and useful observations, with the caveat that he also tends to not commit to things (best example: his recent observations about me "Hey guys I noticed a thing. What could it mean? Who knows!" lean town
Nevergirls my mind reads as lean scum but I'd have a hard time properly justifying.
Kash I don't fuckin' know, he's a granite octopus. lean nothing
DGK same. Note: DGK and Kash don't seem to like each other.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I don't want Quid dead ##vote Kash, would prefer voting flerp, or failing that, somb.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

I notice you didn't have anything to say about the dialogue between Quid and I. Not interesting?

These vote patterns are weird.
Long slap-fight that I don't have time to properly dissect with big course-work deadline tomorrow. Few bits of yours I don't like:

Somberbrero posted:

So I guess you're going to keep arguing that it's not something you really meant rather than taking responsibility for it?
That was you referring to Quid's thing where he summarized who voted for the two mislynches so far, and acting like Quid was making some bold dramatic statement, which would've been unjustified if true. Quid never claimed his statements to be as strong conclusions as you're trying to picture them here.

Somberbrero posted:

there is no reason for AA to die if Quid is town. Quid is there at the start of the day to immediately jump on NGO and discredit it as a setup kill. With AA alive there's a guaranteed vote against Quid, now there's not. AA also thought I was town.
Bullshit, there can be any number of reasons for scum to kill AA. Maybe scum didn't like that he was making in-depth reads (whether correct or not). Maybe scum aren indeed trying to implicate Quid. Maybe scum thought they had seen a power role breadcrumb somewhere. I indeed take issue with Quid's initial reaction. I believe it was premature, and I appreciate that he took it back. I don't think it makes him scum.

Somberbrero posted:

i feel like every nevergirls case is 'just look at 'em!!!' I did look at 'em and I don't see it. Give me something else to work with. It seems pretty clear that if NGO is scum, they're not partners with Quid so that's probably coloring my view a bit.
I actually half-agree with you on this one, which is why I am not at all sure that my read of NGO as "lean scum" is accurate. But sometimes "just look at 'em" (also known as "gut reads") is all we have.

##vote flerp (I am aware this will 99% not get anywhere, but I'll be around for a few more hours to vote "properly").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Quidthulhu posted:

Why is this your vote? You leaned neutral on Kashuno in your summary post before. If you voted Somber here, it would be 2 Somber, 2 Quid, which would...be doing the same thing you're saying here, making a statement about how you don't want me dead. You clearly have suspicions of Somber because you mention them directly here, so, what gives? I don't understand this vote.
The exact thing I said in my vote-post, I didn't want you dead, so I voted for the not-you vote leader. It was a snap call that I figured I'd still have time to change if it turned out wrong/unnecessary. As said, I'm busy with course-work, but I can take small semi-regular breaks for this thread (like I just did).

• Locked thread