Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'll be diving into it right after I'm done with Seventh Function of Language. See, I suggested this book because I couldn't talk myself into starting it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm about 20% in and it's... A lot funnier than I thought, honestly. Question from someone not familiar with American history - are any of the ghosts based on real people?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ben Nevis posted:

And I finished this last night. Overall my favorite part was probably Lincoln's first visit and the responses from the ghosts.. I wasn't so sure of the change in Lincoln. Everyone has sorrow, therefore we need to keep these guys better, harder, faster. That struck me as a bit of a stretch, though I don't think it matters. this was a good book and I really enjoyed it.
Yeah, I've just read the second spoilered part and it feels really artificial - especially compared to the very human(e) ghosts. I get it's a strength from weakness thing and overcoming despair to go on to do Great Things but it's just, I don't know, forced.
Maybe I just can't tell good literature from poo poo but I'm not that amazed. It's really well written, the language is vivid and flowing but the tale beneath feels kind of banal. If I wanted to be really rude, I'd compare it to Coelho. (I don't, I actually like this book, but some of that sentiment is there)

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 19, 2018

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

chernobyl kinsman posted:

do the twenty days of turin. it's big-dick lit enough to appease most of the child loving thread and it has enough trans-dimensional monsters to satisfy the genre fiction contingent
That actually sounds really cool, even if the description makes it look like pretty standard cosmic horror; what do childfuckers like about it, the politics?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Mar 30, 2018

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So he wasn't someone like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_McKittrick_Ros who was just always bad, he somehow managed to convince everyone at the time that he was brilliant
edit oh my we could do this one

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/34181/34181-h/34181-h.htm
I am astonished by all the amazing alliterations.

e: Apparently she wrote poetry too!

• Locked thread