Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«66 »
Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

This show just does that instant death from outer space so well. I remember Shed the medic just having his head disappear midsentence during the Donnager battle being one of the scenes that sold me on this show in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

What a god damned episode.

Again. This season is nuts.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Naomi code switching to a stronger Belter accent while she's among other Belters was a really nice little touch.

I also really enjoyed this.

logikv9
Mar 4, 2009

Ham Wrangler

i didn't know what to expect and it was a bit jarring to suddenly fast-forward 6 months but holy gently caress

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

PARTY ON, GARTH OF IZAR

I'm consistently impressed by basically everything about this show and I don't even know where to start

I haven't read the books so I didn't know about the splat ahahahaha

e: where can I pledge my allegiance to the new belter nation

ekeog
Feb 24, 2013

man david strathairn is an extremely good choice for this role and i'm very excited to see the rest of this season

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

seriously wasn't the pirate guy on the show before? i forget when

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Can I get a gif of the actual splat please?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Isn't it weird how scientists can imagine all the matter of the universe exploding out of a dot smaller than the head of a pin, but they can't come up with a more evocative name for it than The Big Bang?

Jesus loving Christ

There isn't a big enough

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

DAAAAAMN!
Put your glasses back on.

Tighclops posted:

I'm consistently impressed by basically everything about this show and I don't even know where to start

I haven't read the books so I didn't know about the splat ahahahaha

e: where can I pledge my allegiance to the new belter nation

You'll need to learn lang Belta first.

It's totally a thing.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Lang Belta was designed by an actual linguist to actually make sense, and yet Duolingo only has the dumb meme languages of Klingon and High Valyrian instead of it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

DAAAAAMN!
Put your glasses back on.

TVIV> The Expanse, Season 3: Belta lik pashang!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i like how 'welwalla' literally means 'guy who lives in a gravity well'

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

"TELL ME HOW TO GET PIG SEMEN OUT OF SUEDE" Club soda, fucktard.

Oh, and props to the costume department for Amos' holey, tattered undershirt.

They are really good at setting stuff up on this show and having it pay off way down the line: remember when they introduced these slingshot guys in what? Episode 2?

They really compressed a lot into this episode for the pace they've been going so far and it felt very natural to me. We got a time jump and a brace of new characters that look like they'll stick around for a bit. The show has been really great this season about fleshing out the world with secondary characters each episode!

And no one has even mentioned Melba doing the Horizontal Pile Driver on that dude...way to hulk out, lady.

Anywho, the show continues to get better in my opinion, really hoping Bezos loves space enough to just buy ~all the things~...

theCalamity posted:

Can I get a gif of the actual splat please?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

What the gently caress did I just watch

I love this goddamned show.

xthnru
Apr 6, 2007

FUCK YOU GUYS. I'm out.

Crazycryodude posted:

Lang Belta was designed by an actual linguist to actually make sense, and yet Duolingo only has the dumb meme languages of Klingon and High Valyrian instead of it.

Memrise has a course! It's a fun little phrasebook that will teach you useful phrases like "Na gif fo mi na kaka, dzhemang (don't give me any poo poo, brokedick)"

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

I thought last episode was loving amazing but holy poo poo this one blew that right out of the goddamn well.

The loving pirate dude accent is goddamn ridiculous. Nobody fucks with Drummer dude, when you gonna learn. All the world building has been fantastic. And that ending... gently caress me, man.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Deal With it Midgardian

Dude should have watched more sci-fi, I was positive that was a portal the first moment I saw the Ring.

That or a giant space hedgehog was going to come along.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

So the thing that never settled right was Miller chasing Julie Mao's ghost. It was like, wasn't she not really there? Miller sort of must have been hallucinating.

Now I think it's pretty clear it wasn't just artistic license, it was intentional how the hallucinations were done and there's some underlying mechanism for how they work.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

Dude should have watched more sci-fi, I was positive that was a portal the first moment I saw the Ring.

That or a giant space hedgehog was going to come along.

I read the books, and like, that was done a million ways better than I could have possibly imagined. Dude got loving obliterated, holy poo poo

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

i like how 'welwalla' literally means 'guy who lives in a gravity well'

Oh it's more than that.

Wallah is a Hindu suffix that is used to indicate a persons doing something, usually a profession, for example a Chaiwalla (chia meaning tea) being a person who sells tea. It can also be used to refer to a persons hobby or even an obsession they have.

In Belter Creole, they appropriate the Wallah suffix with other languages - a psychiatrist is known as a Govawala, Gova being taken from the Polish word głowa which means head.

Pashangwala is another good one, taking the Mandarin word "to mount" which Belters use in lieu of gently caress.

Welwalla means person who is obsesed with the wel (aka inner plannets).

.... as a person who loves language and etymology this show tickles me in ways I never thought possible.

Rougey fucked around with this message at May 24, 2018 around 05:06

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Deal With it Midgardian

Taintrunner posted:

I read the books, and like, that was done a million ways better than I could have possibly imagined. Dude got loving obliterated, holy poo poo

Yea, I assume what happened is he was going insanely fast, then BAM came to a near stop, so part of him just kept going forwards.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I assume what happened is he was going insanely fast, then BAM came to a near stop, so part of him just kept going forwards.

Delta-

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Am I supposed to know who Melba is, or is this just setting her up as a character?

Also, holy poo poo at that guy just stopping. When he first started talking about how everyone would remember him, I figured he was going to slam into the ring to try to destroy it or something. Then he got excited that his girlfriend wanted to bang him again, and I was wondering why if he was going to kill himself. Then I realized he was going to fly through the ring. Then that climax, god drat. Can't wait to see what the hell that ring is supposed to be.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Cojawfee posted:

Am I supposed to know who Melba is, or is this just setting her up as a character?

New character.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Don't call me, I'll call you.

Cojawfee posted:

Also, holy poo poo at that guy just stopping. When he first started talking about how everyone would remember him, I figured he was going to slam into the ring to try to destroy it or something. Then he got excited that his girlfriend wanted to bang him again, and I was wondering why if he was going to kill himself. Then I realized he was going to fly through the ring. Then that climax, god drat. Can't wait to see what the hell that ring is supposed to be.

You aren't supposed to know who she is yet but pretty chekovs gun that her introduction is people talking poo poo about Mao and asking what she thinks about the guy that put him away

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

YOSPOS

The *splat* was really cool. Between this and the lab tech it's impressive how well they're pulling off gore effects despite the show not having them before.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

It was cool to see them clean up and reuse the Agatha King set for the fancy UNN flag this week. Come on, Amazon, look at how efficient this production is!

VV Fair enough.

Toxic Fart Syndrome fucked around with this message at May 24, 2018 around 05:55

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Don't call me, I'll call you.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

There is another thread for stuff like this and the mods aren't playing this week...may want to edit that.

Well that spoiler is completely based on the tonight's episode so gently caress off ding dong.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Camera dude and hulk-drug lady and maybe interview lady are up to something and I don't like it.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

That was so Metal.

Elentor fucked around with this message at May 24, 2018 around 06:17

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also belter 1st officer guy is pretty cool and he's 100% right that they need to create a civil society but he's also 100% up to no good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Do Randroids Dream of Objective Sheep?

People are gonna squee about a lot that happened.

Can we get a moment--just a moment--to appreciate the guy who steps in on his brother's girl, and walks in on the Dear John VLOG wearing a banana hammock to say whats up? Just suspending completely for a second the idea that Belters are tallish skinny waifs and going straight for the FCC safe dickcentric cuckoldry sight gag? Because that whole story sequence was a hilarious departure in tone, and that particular bit was the cherry on top.

«66 »