Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

No. The bridge people were on basic. :stonk:

No they weren't They were the people who didn't want to be on basic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
imagine how it must be for those people who for whatever reason are unemployed and can't get Basic. what would they have to do to survive? ask ..................Amos................

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I think mention is made in The Churn or Caliban's War that all that is very limited when you're on Basic. Like, you get enough to not die but really enough to live on.

There are waitlists on healthcare, and you have to live where they tell you, but Basic-style food, clothing, etc. is freely available from vending machines, as the stuff has no resale value.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The thing with Basic isn't that it is physically awful, it's that once you are on the system the AI or whatever is always monitoring you. So if you want to do anything even slightly productive then woah there buddy that's not signed off, what's your tax code, oh you have never owned currency in your life eh? trying to dodge the law and steal work from people who earned it?

So by accepting Basic you are cutting yourself off from the grey economy which is 95% of people's only opportunity to feel active or valued, or get beyond 'one Starbucks a month' style luxury rationing. And naturally if you want to be an actual criminal then you need to stay far far away from the UN databases.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Yeah, it's basic assistance not a universal basic income.

So, you can get, like, 1600 calories of nutrient paste from vending machines and once a week get some scrubs made of recycled paper from another vending machine, and if you get critically ill you can see a doctor (hope you like waiting lists!), but it doesn't give you any purpose or enough stuff that you could achieve some kind fulfillment.

Lots of people fall through the cracks, some avoid the system entirely, some are entirely unregistered (birth is monitored by the UN for population control, iirc) and actively avoid the government in the second-class, criminal underworld. Many of those 30 billion (Doctor Bridge Guy and others) are more than qualified to get good work, but they lack the connections to get on the work lists.

Serf
May 5, 2011

regardless of semantics, that's what you'll get under a democracy that still allows for capitalism.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Serf posted:

regardless of semantics, that's what you'll get under a democracy that still allows for capitalism.

I don't know, giving away stuff for free to stop people from rising up and overthrowing the government doesn't really feed the capitalist engine in the same way that universal basic income would. All the companies selling poo poo to idiots are bankrupt in this future I guess because 95% of people never buy anything and lets face it that's basically most companies.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 13, 2018

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The whole concept of basic in these books would not work in any mixed market economy.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Collateral posted:

The whole concept of basic in these books would not work in any mixed market economy.

I guess that is kind of my point. Can you call it a market economy when most people are 100% frozen out of the market because they are not allowed to work and cannot legally own a dollar?

I mean however bad things get in the West today, at least in theory you could upcycle trash and sell it. If the UN was meeting your basic needs, at least it would be something to do. But in the Expanse apparently you can't, because the UN won't even drip feed some cash into the system or allow you to barter.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Collateral posted:

You could argue that it doesn't really work

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Rocksicles posted:

You could argue that it doesn't really work

Neither would spinning up Ceres and Eros or whatever protomolecule bullshit is, but that shouldn't stop you from enjoying the show

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The UN/Earth is like the ultimate form of neoliberalism: corporations own almost all wealth, labor is almost entirely automated so all wealth concentrates near entirely to the corporation, and the state's role has withered to the point where their sole purposes are to protect corporate interests and suppress/bread and circuses the majority of the population.

There's pretty much a dual economy. Capitalism for the rich and basic for everyone else.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
It's hyper-capitalism, with most people given the option to be second-class citizens in return for never being allowed to participate in the economy or own capital.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It's hyper-capitalism, with most people given the option to be second-class citizens in return for never being allowed to participate in the economy or own capital.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxag32cxwsY

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm just a huge nerd but I couldn't care less about the gates and other star systems and proto-poo poo. I want a deep dive in the socio-economics of the system and the show to focus on a pan-system workers uprising.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Baronjutter posted:

I'm just a huge nerd but I couldn't care less about the gates and other star systems and proto-poo poo. I want a deep dive in the socio-economics of the system and the show to focus on a pan-system workers uprising.

Doesn't seem like it would work in a universe where space stations exist. Talking literal nuke it from orbit approach to problem solving.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
https://twitter.com/Breck_Eisner/status/1073372336018112512

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Holden wishes he was Cap.

My problem is who Mao and other mega rich people are getting their money from? If almost everyone is living off Basic, they have zero income to spend on even the basics, so who's buying their poo poo? I guess the government would pay Mao for stuff, but where are they getting their money? They're not taxing people either through income or sales tax.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They've only specified that "over half" of the UN population is on Basic, and half would be 15.5 billion so there's still plenty of people with actual jobs and money. There aren't nearly enough jobs for 31 billion people but there are still billions who are employed.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

twistedmentat posted:

My problem is who Mao and other mega rich people are getting their money from? If almost everyone is living off Basic, they have zero income to spend on even the basics, so who's buying their poo poo? I guess the government would pay Mao for stuff, but where are they getting their money? They're not taxing people either through income or sales tax.

Big corporations would prefer to just sell to other big corporations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
yall are buying martian propaganda hook line and sinker itt

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Baloogan posted:

yall are buying martian propaganda hook line and sinker itt

death to all inners :anarchists::hf::ussr:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Yeah, the whole basic thing seems like a recipe for economic stagnation and collapse. The government has to fund the handouts through tax, but they have nobody to tax and businesses have nobody to sell to.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

drewhead posted:

I find that to be a weak argument. Because a thing can be exploited by some does not necessarily negate it's original purpose. Automation isn't inherently the bad thing. The people using it to screw over workers are. If automation were used in a purpose to free up labor for other productivity then the capitalist does make more profit as it is a net gain in labor (pending pricing).

Great. This means you agree with the Luddites that actually existed and not with the charicature they are usually portrayed as.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Chalks posted:

Yeah, the whole basic thing seems like a recipe for economic stagnation and collapse.
This is exactly what's happening in the show.

Did you not notice how hosed the UN Navy is? Go back and look at some of the interior sets for their ships, everything looks old and scuffed and worn out.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sometimes you have to shoot a few bankers if you need to truly get something done.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Belter society is a self interested merchant guild of the technocratic elite. They are all fusion engineers and gravitational physicists and navigators. They can take care of themselves :smugdog: whats bone disease

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hard to believe they wouldn't have solved boneitis for over 600 years(?) after the show's set.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

They have solved it. A lot of Belters just can't loving pay for it.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Sorry my last reply was from a phone. What I meant to say is that an economy is a cyclical system, it either retains, increases or loses value, depending where it is on the cycle. Having a parallel economy that removes value (basic) from the main economy while being banned from participating (contributing) would cause both economies to collapse swiftly. The government would have to ensure that it's inputs into the normal economy where exactly the same amount as is removed by the basic system, at the very least. Or you could just allow those people to participate in the normal economy, like we have now.

The basic system would be a parasite and no sane economist (I won't say sane politician, because of what we have right now) would allow it to exist in the form the books and show present it as. Even if they tried, collapse would follow.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

tooterfish posted:

Too busy being 80s guys.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

tooterfish posted:

Well, solved-ish. The treatments work okay for most people but not everyone, and the treatments are apparently pretty unpleasant.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Maybe if they actually all lived in properly built "spin stations" at 1g and weren't so married to their insane idea of spun-up asteroids that barely get the job done they'd be healthier.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Baronjutter posted:

Maybe if they actually all lived in properly built "spin stations" at 1g and weren't so married to their insane idea of spun-up asteroids that barely get the job done they'd be healthier.

Check you inner privilege!

But yes I do find it a little odd that stations like Tycho aren't the more common thing.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Maybe it's more expensive to live in good places and less expensive to live in poo poo places

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I'm pretty sure Tycho spins at 0.3g like Ceres and pretty much every other spinning station. The Belters with the more extreme physiological differences are the ones who live on non-spinning stations like Pallas and the ones who spend most of their lives in a ship.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Chalks posted:

Yeah, the whole basic thing seems like a recipe for economic stagnation and collapse. The government has to fund the handouts through tax, but they have nobody to tax and businesses have nobody to sell to.

That's the whole point of the first trilogy, no? That things are stagnant and rveryone is gonna tear themselves apart to keep things the same?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Collateral posted:

The basic system would be a parasite and no sane economist (I won't say sane politician, because of what we have right now) would allow it to exist in the form the books and show present it as. Even if they tried, collapse would follow.

You're right, we should kill all the poor to maintain profits

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Phi230 posted:

That's the whole point of the first trilogy, no? That things are stagnant and rveryone is gonna tear themselves apart to keep things the same?
Kinda reminds me of that dumbass pseudo-profound motto of the place I work at. Goes something like this (translated): "A lot needs to change for everything to stay as it is."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Toast Museum posted:

I'm pretty sure Tycho spins at 0.3g like Ceres and pretty much every other spinning station. The Belters with the more extreme physiological differences are the ones who live on non-spinning stations like Pallas and the ones who spend most of their lives in a ship.

0.3 is the agreed upon standard gravity in space, yeah. Everything spins at that and 0.3g is the standard cruise acceleration. It's comfortable for everyone more or less.