Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
maybe.... they let the south america nuke get through to silence political enemies? open your eyes, sheeple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Protomolecule Alex as a god sized spaceman would be wonderful, yes.

The protomolecule changes the rules of physics again and a titanic "YA'LL" is heard throughout the solar system.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

pretty sure the missiles can only hit whichever part of the earth is facing them when they're about to... well, hit

doubt they were ever meant to be pinpoint accurate.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean, we haven’t resolved exactly what stopped that last railgun shot as far as we know. #justaskingquestions #avasarala2320

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Wasn't it "having to re-calibrate because we were going to shoot earlier but then didn't"?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

logikv9 posted:

maybe.... they let the south america nuke get through to silence political enemies? open your eyes, sheeple

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Wasn't it "having to re-calibrate because we were going to shoot earlier but then didn't"?

cycling doesn't misfire railguns
goias maior was an inside job!

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Protomolecule can't mutate steel beams.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
New statement from Alcon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7gd8LrLHWE&t=2271s

In summary: no promises, lots of moving parts, currently working through multiple scenarios, keep making noise.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Joe Mantis posted:

In summary: no promises, lots of moving parts, currently working through multiple scenarios, keep making noise.
Cynically, it feels like they're stringing fans along so they keep watching rather than get discouraged at following a dying show. Like they stopped the scheduled set striking when they realized the fans had latched on to that as proof of death, not because there's any real new hope for the show.

I'll be absolutely thrilled if another season is confirmed but all this meaningless noise doesn't seem actually hopeful to me at this point.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I would prefer if the show wasn't cancelled, but admittedly I did just start watching like a week ago so it's hard to feel the sting. My Farscape wound still hasn't healed all these years later!

Caros
May 14, 2008

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I would prefer if the show wasn't cancelled, but admittedly I did just start watching like a week ago so it's hard to feel the sting. My Farscape wound still hasn't healed all these years later!

I'd be shocked if the cancellation hasn't been actively good for their viewership in the short term at least. I've known about the expanse for a couple of years, and even been interested in watching it after catching a scene on youtube at one point, but I doubt I'd have ever bothered to hunt it down if I hadn't seen all the talk about it as a result of the cancellation.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

logikv9 posted:

Taintrunner posted:

I mean, we haven’t resolved exactly what stopped that last railgun shot as far as we know. #justaskingquestions #avasarala2320

Honestly when it first happened, the way Errinwright and Anna were acting, my first reaction was to think that Errinwright orchestrated the whole thing specifically to hit where Anna's family was, so she'd be so devastated and blame the secretary general and leave, getting out of his way. Later I realized he couldn't have possibly planned out that much, and she was just looking at the screen in horror because she's a good person, not because her family specifically was in the blast. I still think it's possible he organized the delay to make the SG look bad though, it made everything play into his hands. Probably not, but possible.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't understand why they didn't have like 2+ cannons for every target. During the cold war you wouldn't just have 1 nuke for each target, you'd have a bunch because that first-strike really needed to cripple the enemy asap. Did they really only have one orbital cannon per martian missile base? For such a critical first-strike you'd think there would be some redundancy built into the plan.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
The nuke was likely targeted at a military installation, perhaps a missile silo.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
If Mars really wanted to kill earth they should have automated Epstein ships in the outer solar system that burn with their magic space engines to hit a large fraction of c as they dive towards earth and the moon.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Baloogan posted:

If Mars really wanted to kill earth they should have automated Epstein ships in the outer solar system that burn with their magic space engines to hit a large fraction of c as they dive towards earth and the moon.

Martians are the good guys

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Milo and POTUS posted:

martians are fascists

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

StashAugustine posted:

martians are fascists

The whole martian society is weird and appropriately (and surprisingly) alien. I knew a guy who was a merchant sailor and said that Singapore was basically a fascist utopia and I think that mars is as about that on a planetary scale as you can get. Really I sympathize with the belt for the most part.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Baloogan posted:

Then there is nothing stopping Earth from doing the same. I've always assumed those weapons were part of some mutually assured destruction they had going. I just pretended the stealth nuke ships are boomer subs for a real world analogy.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There needs to be a version of the Bechdel test except it has a scene with two Martians talking to each other without mentioning earth or the UN.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Eiba posted:

Cynically, it feels like they're stringing fans along so they keep watching rather than get discouraged at following a dying show. Like they stopped the scheduled set striking when they realized the fans had latched on to that as proof of death, not because there's any real new hope for the show.

I'll be absolutely thrilled if another season is confirmed but all this meaningless noise doesn't seem actually hopeful to me at this point.

Alternatively, it's nice to have this kind of open flow of communication with the producers of the show. Even if the pause in striking the set is pure optics it at least shows they are competent enough to manage public image. That paints them as a competent company, which is a good thing, especially since they are currently negotiating the show's future. I'd rather have this than absolute silence.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Baloogan posted:

Ships actively burning around is the main way to track them, aside from the magic stealth tech, and even with that I have to think constantly burning to that speed would make you super detectable. Then it's just a matter of firing a nuke or other big time weapon at it from directly it's approach vector. It might work with real good stealth teach, full autmoation so you can accelerate past what a human can take, an starting from like, half of Mars' distance from Earth instead of way the hell out there, who knows.

It seems like stealth nukes would be the best option, drop them relatively close to Earth and they have to be able to fully mask something missile sized by now, they already had those big ol' missile platforms floating around in stealth mode, and they only got picked up after Earth was looking at them for presumably several weeks and knowing what to look for based on their intelligence.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Mu Zeta posted:

There needs to be a version of the Bechdel test except it has a scene with two Martians talking to each other without mentioning earth or the UN.

It's how they suss out spies. You ask if they want to go for a drink and if they don't mention the rivers of earth ooooh boy get your hitting sticks.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Joe Mantis posted:

New statement from Alcon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7gd8LrLHWE&t=2271s

I don't know why celebrities come on this show. Most of their videos have under 1k views.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

Given that's there's supposed to be twenty missiles with twenty warheads each, the plan might be to just hit the target fairly indiscriminately (did we get a yield for that one warhead?) It didn't strike me as targeted to South America specifically, that was just where it happened to hit.

Also, considering the population, an “indiscriminate strike” is almost guaranteed to cause mass casualties as long as it hits land.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't know why celebrities come on this show. Most of their videos have under 1k views.

I know they do podcasts too, there may be a significantly bigger audience there.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Well as a brazilian I kinda felt honored Mars chose my country to be nuked

And Goiás, of all places

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elias_Maluco posted:

Well as a brazilian I kinda felt honored Mars chose my country to be nuked

And Goiás, of all places

I too feel special that we were chosen by Mars.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

NowonSA posted:

Ships actively burning around is the main way to track them, aside from the magic stealth tech, and even with that I have to think constantly burning to that speed would make you super detectable. Then it's just a matter of firing a nuke or other big time weapon at it from directly it's approach vector. It might work with real good stealth teach, full autmoation so you can accelerate past what a human can take, an starting from like, half of Mars' distance from Earth instead of way the hell out there, who knows.

It seems like stealth nukes would be the best option, drop them relatively close to Earth and they have to be able to fully mask something missile sized by now, they already had those big ol' missile platforms floating around in stealth mode, and they only got picked up after Earth was looking at them for presumably several weeks and knowing what to look for based on their intelligence.

Stealth tech is designed to work when the ship is not under thrust. There is nothing that can hide the giant plume coming out of your ship and anything approaching earth like that could easily get picked off.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Considering engineers can spin asteroids big enough to house cities, compared to just lobbing rocks into gravity wells nukes seem almost quaint.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm disappointed there still isn't news, but from everything I've read the lack of dismantling the sets is a good sign. I don't believe putting that on hold is worth it just to maybe keep viewership up and keep up false hope.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I figure it there were no hope whatsoever, Alcon wouldn't be spending money on storing the sets. If they knew for a fact the show were cancelled, I doubt they would care about making sure people keep watching in a financial sense. They will still get whatever money is owed to them whether the ratings soar on cable or not.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the Alcon news just sounds like a big nothing

rip the expanse

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

It's coming, don't worry. There'll be at least three more seasons.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Cancelled scifi shows are well known for making a comeback if people make enough noise on the internet.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Someone got paid 30k finding a major google bug and used this as their example.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lol some youtube copyright troll company called "entura international" that i'm pretty sure has absolutely nothing to do with The Expanse, just got one of the most viewed (and one of my favorite :argh:) expanse videos on youtube taken down (the battle of Thoth station). It had been up for a year and had almost 300k views and had tons of recent comments with new fans saying they just found the show and that the battle was awesome and whatnot. Seemed like a good thing for getting random youtube nerds interested in the show

great timing assholes

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Baronjutter posted:

Someone got paid 30k finding a major google bug and used this as their example.

I think the guy might have started with "the-expanse" as his original app ID. By the time it came to report, the show was being canceled.

edit: v dammit, i missed the highlighted red part

crazysim fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

crazysim posted:

I think the guy might have started with "the-expanse" as his original app ID. By the time it came to report, the show was being canceled.

That's what it says.