Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

tooterfish posted:

Consider Phlebas isn't too out there, probably the most adaptable one. It's a pretty standard adventure story at heart.

I guess so. I always tell people to skip it and start at Player of Games because it is so far detached from the rest of the series.

We'll see :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

TTerrible posted:

I guess so. I always tell people to skip it and start at Player of Games because it is so far detached from the rest of the series.

We'll see :negative:

Consider Phlebas is kinda egh but it was written in a way that lends itself well to a traditional TV adaptation. It's a good jumping off point for The Culture as a whole. That being said, Player of Games is way better and I'd kill to see someone like Chiwetel Ejiofor as Jernau.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

JossiRossi posted:

They were hella dead, and after the ship was dismantled into it's component parts, their bodies probably were shortly after.

In the book version of that event, the bodies were not dismantled. Onlookers speculated that either the Protomolecule considered them indivisible components of the ship, or that after disassembling the population of Eros, it had nothing left to learn about human bodies.

TTerrible posted:

The Culture is going to translate as well to a TV series as Dark Tower did to a movie.

I'm torn on this. I think you're probably right, but I want to see them try anyway. Banks did include a lot of big cinematic settings and scenes, especially in Consider Phlebas, so there's a lot to work with. On the other hand, a lot of ships and drones look like nondescript ovoids and boxes, and without the sort of asides you can have in text, it'd be easy for exposition to get clunky.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Jules-Pierre Bezos

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Baloogan posted:

Jules-Pierre Bezos

yeah like is he not self-aware or does he just think mao is the hero

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Since the Culture has come up: I feel like there's a pretty good chance that Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk both believe they're running the Vanguard Foundation.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sure are a lot of spoilers being posted in this thread. Shame if something would happen to all those posts...

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Episode 7 is gonna reach out to new heights

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Sure are a lot of spoilers being posted in this thread. Shame if something would happen to all those posts...

lol i've never read the books, and my "spoiler" was just me guessing...though now i know i was right, thanks to you editing it

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's cool that people are so paranoid over spoilers that they can't even talk about things that already happened on the show.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Rah! posted:

lol i've never read the books, and my "spoiler" was just me guessing...though now i know i was right, thanks to you editing it

jfc :same:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The squid ship is actually one giant testicle for Galactus, who is currently under construction

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

TTerrible posted:

The Culture is going to translate as well to a TV series as Dark Tower did to a movie.
Best make "Excession" into a series instead. Lots of ships ranting and conspiring.

tooterfish posted:

Consider Phlebas isn't too out there, probably the most adaptable one. It's a pretty standard adventure story at heart.
Last I remember, the book opens with the protagonist trapped in a hole being shat on. That'll make for nice TV.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I haven't seen any clear answer to this, but is this season going to be 13 episodes like season 2 or do we just have two episodes left until the end of the season?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's 13.

Does the news mean Amazon is also taking over the international streaming rights?

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 22, 2018

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I know, but it does sounds like its actually pretty close now. So I guess at least there's reason to be optimistic

What we do now is signal boost over all the twitters and the facebook and drop messages like "Thank you Amazon!" "You're the best faceless corporation ever!" "PoundSignAmazonSavesExpanse" to the point where it'll be just an enormous PR hit for them to back out.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you Jeff Bezos, because of your generosity we will attempt to make your death by guillotine as painless and as quick as possible

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mu Zeta posted:

It's 13.

Does the news mean Amazon is also taking over the international streaming rights?

Who knows? Aside from the title of one article, we have no idea if the show is actually renewed or not.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Probably more accurate as to where things are: https://twitter.com/AbrahamHanover/status/998724670286323714

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

https://twitter.com/abrahamhanover/status/998724471933493248?s=21

Watch live or DVR by Friday, seems like! :f5:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The leaks are real but the news is fake.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
It's all a ruse to get us to watch a dead show for some reason.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

Thank you Jeff Bezos, because of your generosity we will attempt to make your death by guillotine as painless and as quick as possible

a space guillotine where the blade has to be attracted to the floor via magnets

fake edit: MIIIIIIIIIIIKE

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Amazon is doing The Culture? I thought they were doing The Foundation.

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

They have the rights anyway. I don't think production has started.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Best make "Excession" into a series instead. Lots of ships ranting and conspiring.

I'd love to see how they do the epic space battle that lasts for less than a millisecond

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
If Amazon is expressing this much interest, really it’s just negotiations at this point. Like they just have to make the deal. Good news.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
That is some amazingly stupid headline writing to put "renewed" in the headline when the lede of your drat story is "deal has not closed." Just the most awful misleading poo poo and clearly done to try to get more attention, I expect better even from the hollywood reporter.

Also if that story is right and Jeff Bezos-Mao is a big fan of the Expanse then maybe we never had to sweat over it so much to begin with, it's gotta be a cakewalk for him to wave his hand and say "go get that show for me."

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 22, 2018

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

twistedmentat posted:

Apple is doing The Foundation.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

MrWilderheap posted:

I'd love to see how they do the epic space battle that lasts for less than a millisecond

In super slow motion, presumably :v:

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I think what's happening is that Amazon has decided to revive The Expanse, but they are currently trying to work out the rights. Because Netflix also owns some streaming rights, Bezos can't just automatically acquire the show if he wants.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Just buy Netflix. Problem solved.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm not even sure what all there is to it. Syfy had the TV rights, Amazon has US streaming rights, Netflix has international streaming rights. Does Amazon just pay Syfy's share? When Syfy cancelled it, the show died. Does that kill the contracts? There's no doubt a whole bunch of lawyering going on to find out how to work things out. It will suck if it comes down to Netflix loving the deal.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I wouldn’t put it past Netflix to spike the deal out of spite unless Amazon offers them an assload of cash.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

qirex posted:

I wouldn’t put it past Netflix to spike the deal out of spite unless Amazon offers them an assload of cash.

Netflix is dead to me if they do that.

And get caught.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

theblackw0lf posted:

I think what's happening is that Amazon has decided to revive The Expanse, but they are currently trying to work out the rights. Because Netflix also owns some streaming rights, Bezos can't just automatically acquire the show if he wants.

I agree with you that, since we're still hearing about it, Amazon does want to produce Season 4. This is speculative, but it may be that Netflix holds the rights on Seasons 1-3 for a certain period. So the question becomes how all that gets resolved. I think something similar happened when Disney bought out Star Wars but there were still Clone Wars airing on Cartoon Network and streaming on Netflix. Not identical, per se, but as close as I can think off hand. I'd be curious to know more about Alcon's position in all this. They may end up having to decide between retaining some value from Netflix (worse, could they have a breach of contract on their hands if they had to leave Netflix?) and producing another season on Amazon, a season which could face a slashed budget and production schedule.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Amazon throws around so much money. Their shows like Bosch and Goliath look like normal network shows but the budget is like $80 million. They can do The Expanse right.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I agree with you that, since we're still hearing about it, Amazon does want to produce Season 4. This is speculative, but it may be that Netflix holds the rights on Seasons 1-3 for a certain period. So the question becomes how all that gets resolved. I think something similar happened when Disney bought out Star Wars but there were still Clone Wars airing on Cartoon Network and streaming on Netflix. Not identical, per se, but as close as I can think off hand. I'd be curious to know more about Alcon's position in all this. They may end up having to decide between retaining some value from Netflix (worse, could they have a breach of contract on their hands if they had to leave Netflix?) and producing another season on Amazon, a season which could face a slashed budget and production schedule.

I think it could be as simple as Amazon buying out the international streaming rights from Netflix, but I think that's got to be the main issue they're trying to work out right now, since from my amateur legal viewpoint it would seem like streaming it as part of Amazon Prime would be international streaming since it has subscribers in so many countries. If not a buyout maybe they work out a deal that lets them both stream the new stuff, or that Netflix can only stream seasons 1-3, but I'm sure that Amazon's going to want to own the Expanse past and future if they do the deal.

Lots of moving parts to it, and it makes me miss the days when a network could just pay for a show, own the show, and then if they cancel it you don't have to worry about the 3-5 people who all own a piece of it in our crazy modern media world.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Do we actually know what the current (well, post-season-three) situation is re: streaming rights? Maybe those agreements contain clauses making them contingent on the broadcast situation or something like that.

Mu Zeta posted:

Amazon throws around so much money. Their shows like Bosch and Goliath look like normal network shows but the budget is like $80 million. They can do The Expanse right.

I would love to see some kind of internal "stretch goals" budget document. Like, what do they think they can pull off with x% more money per episode?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Netflix took down Expanse related stuff today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Phi230 posted:

Netflix took down Expanse related stuff today

Wow if Amazon actually pulls through with this I could stop watching it on Space and just stream like a good boy.