Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Am I supposed to know who Melba is, or is this just setting her up as a character?

Also, holy poo poo at that guy just stopping. When he first started talking about how everyone would remember him, I figured he was going to slam into the ring to try to destroy it or something. Then he got excited that his girlfriend wanted to bang him again, and I was wondering why if he was going to kill himself. Then I realized he was going to fly through the ring. Then that climax, god drat. Can't wait to see what the hell that ring is supposed to be.

She reminds me of Julie Mao but it's been so long since I've watched the first episode that it's hard to be sure.

Would definitely explain her turning blue and going beastmode on the dude, though. Which.. raises additional questions.

I haven't read the books, this is 100% speculation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

So what was the big surprise from the crew stream

This seems to have turned into a wet fart?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

hailthefish posted:

She reminds me of Julie Mao but it's been so long since I've watched the first episode that it's hard to be sure.

Would definitely explain her turning blue and going beastmode on the dude, though. Which.. raises additional questions.

I haven't read the books, this is 100% speculation.

She actually looks nothing like Julie Mao

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gonz posted:

Book spoilers about the ring:

Pretty sure there's another thread for that?

(Same goes for all the coy spoiler posting that I'm not quoting for what I hope are obvious reasons.)

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Oh well beep boop goons bad at faces.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Open Source Idiom posted:

(Same goes for all the coy spoiler posting that I'm not quoting for what I hope are obvious reasons.)

The only thing worse than Crossfitters are people that post book spoilers

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Open Source Idiom posted:

Apologies. I didn’t realize there was a book talk thread. I’ll hold off on all spoilers from here on out.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Christ, they really made David Strathairn look hosed up.

Also, David Strathairn out of nowhere.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I like how months of scans and research by UN and Martian scientists and naval personnel yielded less than a racing belter trying to impress his ex-notex-girlfriend more than well packed banana hammock guy

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
this would have been a good cliffhanger for a season finale

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Baloogan posted:

this would have been a good cliffhanger for a season finale

I think someone mentioned season 3 not aligning with the books so maybe it was the end of a book?

Also, it may as well be the finale. :v:

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
So Thomas Jane has had this pinned on his Twitter this whole time https://twitter.com/ThomasJane/status/834611978383421441

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That episode screamed season premier to me. New plots, new characters, changeover of cast. Particularly given that the previous episode had an action climax and wrote out several characters, like a season finale does.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

An episode that is both a season opener, and a season ending cliff hanger, aired mid season. Breaking paradigms.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

TTerrible posted:

I think someone mentioned season 3 not aligning with the books so maybe it was the end of a book?

Start of one, actually. Book two's epilogue is the Protomolecule construct leaving Venus.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

NTRabbit posted:

I like how months of scans and research by UN and Martian scientists and naval personnel yielded less than a racing belter trying to impress his ex-notex-girlfriend more than well packed banana hammock guy

This is the universe where the super-efficient fusion drive was invented when a random guy accidentally made his space boat 1000% time more fuel efficient (and died horribly as a result). Unexpected discoveries resulting in/from someone's grisly death is how science works in the Expanse.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

TTerrible posted:

Also, it may as well be the finale. :v:

It's been a while but I think book 2 ended with Holden seeing Miller. Horny belter racer kid was already in the 3rd one. The show is mixing and speeding things up quite a bit, and doing a really good job of it.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Toast Museum posted:

Start of one, actually. Book two's epilogue is the Protomolecule construct leaving Venus.

And the Prologue of book three was SPLAT if I'm remembering correctly.

But the books and TV show seasons have never lined up form the get-go. There are some significant moving around of characters, mostly we get characters a lot earlier in the show than the books.
If anyone is curious:
Season 1 is about 3/4th of Book 1
Season 2 is the remainder of Book 1 and about half of Book 2
Season 3 [so far] is the remainder of Book 2 and getting into 3 now with this last episode.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Also I appreciate how, even though I knew there was going to be a new guy accidentally being overheard/walking into shot in her Dear John video, they still managed to surprise me with the banana hammock. That's just going the extra mile.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Was there anything cool announced during the cast livestream?

e: Also, when do we usually get the ratings from last night's episode? I'm not expecting much, but it'd be nice to see how much impact the campaign to save the show is having.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 24, 2018

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The livestream announcement is that Tom Jane is there with them I assume.

The timeskip was super awkward. Did I miss a "six months later" or something at the beginning? It took me several scenes to figure out just how much time had gone by. Regardless this is still amazing TV and has easily become my favorite show.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

counterfeitsaint posted:

The livestream announcement is that Tom Jane is there with them I assume.

The timeskip was super awkward. Did I miss a "six months later" or something at the beginning? It took me several scenes to figure out just how much time had gone by. Regardless this is still amazing TV and has easily become my favorite show.

The time skip note was audio, "184 days since the ring formed"

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

There was also an "A few months later" on screen during the initial scenes with the slingshot pilot, between him seeing the press release of Avasarala's speech and shooting the rings of Saturn. Gives everyone enough time to wind down from last episode and travel out to the Ring.

I also forgot to mention: loving loved the belter remix of Highway Star.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Being stuck in that loving tin can for months does not seem fun.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I liked that the belter slingshotting extreme sport referenced in the first season came back in a meaningful way

Also want to give a shout out to the drone camera and its operator. That was a cool little slice of sci-fi; dude looked like Nosferatu casting some sort of warding spell piloting that thing around and it was smart and appropriately off-putting at the same time.

Oh yeah and I just remembered Amos answering the documentary film maker's line of questioning. She says something about not being able to find any record of his whereabouts for years and he dismissively says something like "woah, that's crazy. :geno:" his delivery was so great. Amos loving owns.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
In the books, the girl Maneo wants to bang is also his 1st cousin

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Phi230 posted:

In the books, the girl Maneo wants to bang is also his 1st cousin

Eh it's not so bad. If twins nowadays can have their dna become distinct from one another due to time in space who knows what a belters dna will look like.
Or maybe don't gently caress your cousin.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Well he didn't gently caress his cousin because the Ring Crush rear end To Paste

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I just wanna thank the lord that they didn't slot our sweet Diogo into that role and they introduced Maneo instead

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Maneo's rear end got crushed to cytoplasm

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
piss bag is real

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Arcsquad12 posted:

Eh it's not so bad. If twins nowadays can have their dna become distinct from one another due to time in space who knows what a belters dna will look like.
Or maybe don't gently caress your cousin.

Their DNA isn't different, their gene expression is different.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Phenotype posted:

Was there anything cool announced during the cast livestream?

e: Also, when do we usually get the ratings from last night's episode? I'm not expecting much, but it'd be nice to see how much impact the campaign to save the show is having.

The ~big surprise~ was Steven Strait being there to give an uplifting speech...

Numbers should come out today or tomorrow, hopefully that will loosen a log from the jam. :shrug:

Phi230 posted:

I just wanna thank the lord that they didn't slot our sweet Diogo into that role and they introduced Maneo instead

Thank goodness everyone on the production crew is too nice to fire actors. :sweatdrop:

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

etalian posted:

It's getting better!

when most people talk about baltimore "getting better" they mean gentrification is forcing out all the poor black people into poor suburbs where the white residents wont have to look at them

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Fake news. Everyone knows the Earth is flat!

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phi230 posted:

I actually said out loud when Maneo first appeared, "Oh, I'm so glad it's not Diogo"

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
I don't think anyome mentioned yet that the "Two heartbeats from ruling the planet" line from, literally, the first episode came back.

The way things shook out are exceptionally well done- Avasarala being in the top seat in the UN and pushing hard for peace, with that awkward and uncomfortable tolerance of her handlers moment getting her makeup put on was really well done. You empathize with her as challenged by the transition from the edge of space in constant danger to the excessive, pampering seat of luxury the ultra powerful live in.

The Rosi crew specifically are confusing. They're famous, and yet strapped for cash. They don't have anyone to fight, and yet they are still in a court case with the Martian government over ownership of their high tech Martian battle cruiser.

You'd think access to martian crypto keys alone would be enough for Mars to fork over an insane amount of cash and say "you never saw any of this", or some of their weapons tech, or god knows what else. But I guess you can run away with a nice Martian space ship and end up with a civil incident to deal with rather than an interplanetary one.

This show has fans that are good company.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

TimWinter posted:

I don't think anyome mentioned yet that the "Two heartbeats from ruling the planet" line from, literally, the first episode came back.

The way things shook out are exceptionally well done- Avasarala being in the top seat in the UN and pushing hard for peace, with that awkward and uncomfortable tolerance of her handlers moment getting her makeup put on was really well done. You empathize with her as challenged by the transition from the edge of space in constant danger to the excessive, pampering seat of luxury the ultra powerful live in.

The Rosi crew specifically are confusing. They're famous, and yet strapped for cash. They don't have anyone to fight, and yet they are still in a court case with the Martian government over ownership of their high tech Martian battle cruiser.

You'd think access to martian crypto keys alone would be enough for Mars to fork over an insane amount of cash and say "you never saw any of this", or some of their weapons tech, or god knows what else. But I guess you can run away with a nice Martian space ship and end up with a civil incident to deal with rather than an interplanetary one.

This show has fans that are good company.

Also, at this point the Tachi/Roci is a few years old: she's no longer the cutting edge of MCRN tech, especially now that PM tech is out in the wild. I imagine Martian materials science got a big boost from studying the stealth tech and then the Ring.

The show really feels like it's starting to hit its stride, finding the perfect balance of narrative recreation to translate the books into a TV show. The changes here almost always help the story or streamline it, as opposed to say GoT, where the changes felt forced or like simple audience manipulation. They even finally stopped doing that thing I hate where they compress SFX shots into time-dilation nightmares!
:woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

TimWinter posted:

I'm not strapped for cash, but if a major corporation/government came after me in court I'd be hosed.
The Roci is a Corvette class ship, not a cruiser.