Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

PriorMarcus posted:

I think he was simply planning to sell them to Earth. Earth had been illegally building stealth ships ready for war. The Protomolecule changed plans and Mao used the ships he had built.

I think they were built to do exactly what they did, start a war, so they could sell protomolecule stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Syzygy Stardust posted:

The Belt is not self sustaining if Earth were to be destroyed.

The books sort of imply the opposite is true. Places like Ganymede's farms and the belt ice and mineral mining were the only things keeping Earth running, and if all of that were in the sole control of the OPA they'd be fine.

It's not real clear to me where the power for all that distant moon farming comes from, but it's all there.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Thanks rear end in a top hat.

You're just going to have to live with the knowledge that she's getting cut in half and dumped into a reactor shaft

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm calling Bull.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

AlternateAccount posted:

This doesn't make a lot of sense. 30 billion people is four times current population, but that wouldn't require developing literally every spot on Earth into an urban shithole. If an order of magnitude more square miles of developed space is still leaving an insane amount of untouched land. The Earth is pretty big you guys.

It's not all urban shithole. Holden's parents have a big farm in Montana, presumably that's not the only green place left on the planet. I just get the impression that it's not cheap to live outside of the urban hellholes (the books mention that the 8 adults having 1 child gave enough tax breaks for them to afford the farm)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

bring back old gbs posted:

Yeah resource distribution aside, if you packed Americans into a city as densely as Japanese people manage to cram into Tokyo you could fit the entire country's population in a single state. And not one of the big ones.

Forget the country, the whole world ain't that dense

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

How are u posted:

e: gently caress my mother ^^^^ :argh:

I apologize for beating you to the picture. Now we can all discuss how inhumane it'd be to force everyone on earth to live in Arkansas

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

logikv9 posted:

i dont care that much but seeing him or even adam savage on anything kinda just takes my mind off the show for a split second, which sucks because i'm usually really engrossed.

cool stuff is happening! wait, is that *squints* that dude from that other thing. that's weird

I'm like that with basically every actor tho. "Wait, isn't that that woman from that thing?" and I end up on imdb to discover that she was, in fact, juror #4 on some episode of Castle and I wasn't just going crazy

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

double nine posted:

So when are they going to use the gate network as a 3d soccer field?

It was clearly designed for golf

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Elias_Maluco posted:

Neither Drummer or Ashford are exactly main characters

Yeah, recurring guest star and new this season. But everyone should remember Whistler

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just lol if you don't want an Amos shower scene

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tighclops posted:

I'm perfectly happy with sex or nudity so long as it's not just like, oh we put this here because ratings have slipped into the toilet and look our Vulcan babe is HOT don't you want to look at her nipples through this catsuit style monkeyshit.

Sorry, all the protomolecule aliens now have big anime tiddies for ratings purposes. Even Miller.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

crazysim posted:

If they're going western, I wonder if they're going to film in southern California for some parts. .

as long as they manage to sneak the cowboy bebop theme in there someplace I don't care :v:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Elementary is the best Sherlock Holmes on TV

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

dog nougat posted:

I'm convinced Morphix's posting is basically just some horrible and unfunny gimmick. Nobody can be so consistently dense and insufferable right?

An insufferable troll in tviv? *gasp* How dare you suggest such a thing

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Also, Anna isn't Mormon, she's Methodist or something? Episcopalian?

Methodist in the books anyway

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Baronjutter posted:

Please don't disrespect the scifi tradition of mormon space colonization

They just need to stop the trope of it ending horribly for the Mormons, don't give them any reason to stick around!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Orange Devil posted:

Quick, write a scifi about the Mormons moving into space, finding their god and being empowered by him to attempt to convert the rest of humanity by the sword.

I'm pretty sure that's called the Book of Mormon

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chalks posted:

Westworld

Also Game of Thrones

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Isn't "Boldy Going Nowhere" the subtitle of DS9

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Pretty sure they wanted to start a war to make a market for the super soldiers

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Baronjutter posted:

Why do AI's own hotels in that setting??

I think it was pretty much people set up hotels run by AIs, then the AIs got full rights and basically owned themselves, then everyone stopped going to the hotels because the AIs got ultra possessive of their clients and people found it creepy

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

etalian posted:

He saved them hundreds of years of joyless interstellar fuckery.

They'll never forgive him

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Avasarala and Amos have the best relationship in general

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cojawfee posted:

His diet was cigarettes and an apple. I don't know how he could stand that. If I'm not actively doing something, I just start eating.

A can of tuna and an apple a day I heard

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arrinien posted:

Was he popping dozens of supplement pills a day or does tuna and an apple actually meet some sort of bare minimum of human nutritional needs?

Unknown, he's only ever really talked about tuna, apples, water, and black coffee

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tighclops posted:

"The human race doesn't deserve to exist, all humans should go extinct."

"Okay, you go first."

*Gasps* "how dare youuuuu-"

murder/suicide only works if you do it in that order

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cojawfee posted:

Can I spoil other books? Like in Jurassic Park the dinosaurs eat the people

Have you seen the passion yet? Jesus dies.

A lot of the show stuff is accelerated from the books. I think some of the stuff in the pilot was also from book 5 ish

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just started a rewatch on Prime and wtf, it's showing me a super loud and super obnoxious advertisement for other Prime Video shows before every episode. It's not a separate video, it's literally the first 30-60s of the episode. I've never seen this before until now. Has this always been a thing?

Not that new, at least a year I think. It goes in streaks on random stuff, but almost always on their originals now

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Taintrunner posted:

I think he meant the crew. Although then you'd have random water bottles and Starbucks cups littered all over the background and foreground of every shot.

That could sort of be explained away in the Expanse. There'd be random fur cloaks and swords littered over the background

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They scanned for a perfect height cliff that's why they had to walk so far

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

CainsDescendant posted:

Also, the trailer specifically showed Naomi going through a planetside conditioning course to prepare herself, and the rest of the crew presumably spent some time in the gym getting back in shape as well. If the ring in this new system is as far out as the one in ours they had plenty of time on the trip to get ready for some hiking.

Something the show expresses far worse than the books is how it takes weeks to get anywhere, lots of time to do whatever

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

uber_stoat posted:

that character hasn't been introduced yet.

He would be Duarte

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

sebmojo posted:

I love the sass of taking multiple trillions of dollars to build the biggest space ship in history, shooting it at some weirdass alien goo planet on the sayso of some weird adventurers in a stolen ship, then claiming it as salvage and taking it home.

do the books talk about the presumably gigantic litigation battle the church wages to get the nauvoo back?

It's mentioned, tho I think they sorta got over it after all the other portals opened. Been a while since I read the early books

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nail Rat posted:

So I didn't watch the longer clip but a question I have from the trailer...is Bobbie part of the Rocinante crew this season? I distinctly got that impression from her strapping in next to Alex at the end of season 3. But she was nowhere to be seen when the Roci was landing on New Terra.

From what I remember of book 4, it's basically a giant bottle episode. A subset of the characters are in a specific place to do a specific something for the entire book, and the rest of the universe is pretty much ignored.

I'm sure they'll mix it up for the series since I doubt they want half the characters sidelined for a whole season.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Also habitats are 100% forever dependent on the host planet for literally everything. At least on planets you can get some materials/water/etc to help reduce the load

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Doomsday will happen when Saudi Arabia sounds like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5L7rE6qzfQ

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Use all the waste heat to melt the asteroids, obviously

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kazinsal posted:

Two terrible CGI pasties and one off-screen pair of implied tits.

I wonder what would happen if HBO did a hard sci-fi series.

Is there a good sci-fi series with an appropriate HBO level of debauchery? They'll just have to do Anita Blake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MA-Horus posted:

Absolutely.

Altered loving Carbon my dude.

Yeah, but altered carbon is already being done!