Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Crazycryodude posted:

I don't give a poo poo how many "diverse" characters a show has just for the sake of diversity. I do give a poo poo when they make an explicitly Nigerian character into a Norwegian for some indiscernible reason. Ade has all of five minutes of screen time, it's not like they needed to find an actress that could work on the show long-term and had to make a concession to casting constraints. I'm sure there were dozens of black actresses that were just as available and happy to work for one portion of one episode as the generic blond white girl they went with.

It's not like the casting choice for a minor character ruined the show or anything, I'm obviously still watching and still like it, but I think it was a dumb and bad decision that I can see no real justification for.

somewhere a casting director's eye is twitching and he/she doesn't know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Barreft posted:

It's only been a page and this thread is already :stonk:

Hi have you ever seen a TVIV thread during the off-season?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Dreylad posted:

noooope

for better or for worse BSG seems to have set off a need for a lot of sci fi shows to use shaky cam in space scenes.

It led to some pretty memorable scenes though: resurrection ship part 2, escaping new caprica, the resurrection hub. too bad about the final episodes making GBS threads the bed.

Final episodes making GBS threads the bed is hardly the fault of shaky-cam though.

Not sure what Expanse should do for space combat scenes. The books always conveyed a sense of claustrophobia and lack of solid situational awareness. You got the perspective of the crew members dealing with the limited intel they can get off sensors, not a Star Wars WW2 aerial battle recreation or BSG shaky-cam showing how the vipers are doing.

Ideally, space scenes should be from the perspective of people outside the ship, like Miller's view from Eros or Prax's view of the battle above Ganymeade. As annoying as the scene was otherwise (HOLDEN JUST SO ANGRY!!!!), the Roci hunting down the protomonster was pretty well done.

Of course, for a remote space battle, having everything be dictated by Alex would be pretty boring and come across as hilariously cheap. So...yeah. Get used to shakycam I guess.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

etalian posted:

Amos passed the Captain America test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Acl9LnAlQ

Nah, captain just dived on it.

Amos passed the Homer Simpson at Globex test.

Btw that ME elevator video someone linked to had an ad for the expanse on it for me. Wonderful.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Urgggh. I hate that furnace effect so much. What the gently caress?

Yeah that made no sense to me either. It's like they couldn't make up their mind between a traditional furnace effect or a disintegration effect so they split the difference and it just seems bland as gently caress instead of solemn.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

My uncle works at Syfy and he gave me this spoiler screen cap. Apparently in the finale Laurence Fishburne is joining the cast!

Why are you posting a GoT still of Xaro Xoan Daxos and Jon Snow in the Expanse thread?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Bert Roberge posted:

Some cars automatically try to find a picture of the artist and uh

Behold the real author of the Expanse series.

Tbf that's a great phonetic guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

likes: hard sci fi, interplanetary politicking, Shohreh Aghdashloo

dislikes: hats in space

take off your loving hat dude you look like a loving moron

e:

it's mostly the hat

I'm only two episodes in though so I'm willing to suspend judgement for now.
My wife's biggest problem with the show is his goofy hair. She prefers it when he's got the hat on.

Really the biggest problem with the show is everything above Tom Jane's forehead.