Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Toast Museum posted:

Also, I think you're underestimating the travel times a bit. Earth to Luna might be hours, but pretty much anything else is days to weeks, and the moons of Saturn and beyond take months to each. Still beats the years it would take with the methods we have now, of course, and the show hasn't exactly played up travel times so far.

That's more of a book thing. In the show, it's pretty obvious that only like a week or two at most have passed since the beginning, despite the massive travel distances. I can't really fault them for it though, having a bunch of "several months later" cards between each scene wouldn't make for good TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Barreft posted:

It's only been a page and this thread is already :stonk:

oh no people are having a mild discussion about something

somebody call the mods!!!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Y'all are missing the real controversy: the terrible sfx sequence when Alex did ~2 months worth of slingshots in 20 minutes and then somehow negated all of that delta-v with maneuvering thrusters. :eng99:

Yeah this was really dumb, but they acknowledged that it was dumb, and like I said earlier, one dude alone on a spaceship doing minor orbital changes over the course of several weeks doesn't make for good TV.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah that would have been really good, but then you run into the problem of having to explain what the rest of the gang was doing down on Ganymede for over a month.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

Can we just make bookchat a probatable offense? Take it to TBB.

Here's a better idea: don't get upset about properly tagged spoilers.

Or just read the dang books.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If someone accidentally mouses over a spoiler tag and stays on it long enough to actually read anything of substance, that's entirely on them. I can understand not wanting to be spoiled, but this is ridiculously hypersensitive.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm totally fine with not talking about the books. I just think it's extremely stupid that people can't even handle spoiler tags.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

It's just a matter of time until some rear end in a top hat quotes a giant black bar post and makes a :airquote:subtle:airquote: joke that gives away the whole topic. Don't pretend like this doesn't happen constantly.

It happens sometimes, but it only spoils things when a dozen people quote it and yell OMG THATS A SPOILER!!!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, sustained G load is big deal and can be quite damaging if you don’t take precautions and aren’t built like a brick shithouse.

Yeah, one thing that is really lost in the show is the time scale. In the books it's not "we're going to be hitting 6G for a minute or two, hold on to something", it's "we're going to be sustaining 6G for several hours, you're gonna need a ton of drugs to keep from passing out and also you'll have major organ damage".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

"Are you a good pilot?" "No, I'm a marine."

I wasn't expecting to see Anna yet, but that's not a huge surprise considering Avasarala has been on the show the entire time. I also wasn't expecting to see Mei's friend Katoa either, but for the opposite reason - he was introduced much earlier in Caliban's War, so I thought he was just going to be written out.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also there's the fact that they could just move her again. They have to get to Io quickly while there's still a reasonable chance of her actually being there.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

Mao is his partner in crime, not a political rival.

whynotboth.gif

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I guess we've got faster than light rail guns and missiles now :cripes:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

I too am annoyed that we didn't get to see the Secretary, Undersecretary, and the defense staff jawing about the sportsball results for 30 minutes while the railgun shells reached their targets, and another 30 minutes while the missile made the return flight. How dare the writers compress time from the perspective of the viewer for dramatic effect. After they refused to hire all of the active centres in the NBA and WNBA to play the parts of belters, this is the last straw.

Alternatively they could have done something else to show that the SG is an easily swayed bobblehead, Errinwright is ruthless, etc. This whole sequence wasn't in the book at all, so it's not something that they had to make watchable.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

But they could have done it in so many other ways. Like others said, they could have broken up the scene to imply the passage of time, rather than literally watching the projectiles cross the inner solar system in 15 seconds. Or they could have said that the Mars ships had managed to sneak inside of Luna's orbit. Breaking the laws of physics doesn't add anything to the story either, so why do it?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Phi230 posted:

Deimos' remains formed a feint ring, orbits don't work like that

Stable orbits don't. A massive explosion imparts new velocity vectors, and all it takes is a little nudge to degrade an orbit and set it on a reentry trajectory. If it was in Earth orbit, I'd say they'd probably burn up in the atmosphere, but Mars doesn't really have much of that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

404notfound posted:

Don't go to any fan wikis

This is just good advice in general.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

I think Mars would get incredibly tedious so they're choosing not to. Ever Martian we've met has been a jarhead with a hardon for murdering the poo poo out of Earth. Can you imagine a whole planet full of those three idiots from the last episode?

I really hope you're not being serious here.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

We also got to see Alex's ex-wife and she's not exactly OORAH KILL THE EARTHIES

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Toast Museum posted:

Kibble dishes are also pretty dry in the books. Not dehydrated, exactly, but it does sort of reconstitute in the mouth. Texturally, it's intended not to make a mess in low/no gravity.

Since it's Belter food, I always pictured it as dog kibble, but for humans.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This was one of the most exciting, tense episodes in the show so this news sure is a punch in the gut.

Netflix would be crazy not to pick this up, but this is 2018 and hope is a lie.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

I didn't know Cas was in Star Trek Continues.

Hold yer Vulcan horses, that ain't logical y'all.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Frustrated posted:

Can any book reader tell me around when this season looks to end so I can skip right to that point in the books after this season ends?

Read all the books.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's cool that people are so paranoid over spoilers that they can't even talk about things that already happened on the show.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This season continues to own. I'm glad the show has some surprises for filthy bookreaders like me.

PS mods please change the thread title to URINE - DO NOT DRINK

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

crazypeltast52 posted:

Wait, was the bag marked? I wasn’t looking closely and assumed whisky/whiskey.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also I'm a fairly loving sedentary blob, but I can't imagine being cooped up in a space the size of a minivan for half a year.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Inya do it cause she mad at daddy.

Belta do it for fat tiddies.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Beltalowda gonna rise up and take back what is ours! Earth corps have no claim to da Belt!

*looks directly into the camera*

...Except for our fine friends at Amazon Interplanetary, who's products and services are truly superb.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I don't think anybody ITT is upset that Amazon is picking this show up. Just making some harmless jokes about it. Lighten up, thread.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

this thread: loving bookreaders, always spoiling things, go post in a different thread because we can't not read spoiler tags

also this thread: here are some cool things i found on the wiki that will explain everything

also also this thread: hey can someone tell me what happens in the later books?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

We can banish bookreaders to another thread and forbid spoiler tags all we want, and it still won't keep people from freaking out about potential spoilers, trailer spoilers, speculation spoilers, etc, because some goons are a bunch of paranoid neurotics about gleaning even the slightest glimmer of future information about their spaceship laser pew pew stories.

Here's my idea: people can post spoilers inside of tags within reason. If people post blatant spoilers outside of tags, report them. If people are having a massive conversation inside of tags, ask them to take it to the other thread. If someone speculates and happens to be mostly correct, don't freak out and get a mod to edit their post (ironically spoiling it for them). Most of the rest of the forums seems to be fine with this, so I don't think this is too unreasonable.

"Be cool about spoilers" goes both ways.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

You're not at all wrong, but goons are not remotely capable of acting in this very reasonable manner, as a whole.

At some point you just have to let people occasionally gently caress up. If someone gets spoiled on something it's not the end of the world. This obsession with keeping the thread 100% airtight from spoilers does more harm than good.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Maybe the real protomolecule was the friends it disassembled along the way.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My favorite thing about this episode is that what pissed Holden off the most was the hat.

e: also this

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 1, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Snowman Crossing posted:

cant believe charlie day is in the expanse

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah when they're headed out to the ring it's been right about five years since the Canterbury.

Show's also gone through like a third of book three in two episodes since a lot of it has been changed.

Just getting to the ring alone takes something like nine months. Even with magic 100% efficiency engines that let you fly in a straight line to your destination, getting places takes a long rear end time in space.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nothing Phi230 is talking about is information that is revealed past this point in the books. It's literally all show stuff.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

People are totally cool with speculation

Yeah, no, that's not true at all. Like just two weeks ago someone posted their speculation, and they were right about a few things, so people freaked out about them being a secret book reader and got a mod to edit their post (thus ironically spoiling it for them).

This whole thread is loving stupid, just keep it locked except on Wednesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DaveKap posted:

Half the time I watch this show I don't see Strait

Put down the bottle.