Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

The real expanse is in our ability to distinguish actors from one another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

404notfound posted:

Yeah, zero-g fire and tears were cool to see, not to mention a corridor full of floating bodies and droplets of blood. And they even tied the scientifically accurate risk of zero-g internal bleeding into a plot device with the Behemoth offering to take on casualties! Really masterfully done.

For a show that keeps cranking up the crazy space magic, it's nice to see that things can still remain very grounded.

And then they proceeded to shock a flatline. :eng99:

I guess you can't have everything.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I went back to listen to Miller's 'explanation' to Holden about how he's communicating. It starts with technobabble, but then he says '...which requires closed time-like curves in a Lorentzian manifold.'

So, for those who aren't physics nuts like me, a Lorentzian manifold is basically a space that obeys the Lorentz transformation. The most familiar space of such type is the space-time you and I reside in right now. Yup, we live in a Lorentzian manifold (as far as we can tell.)

A closed time-like curve is a sciencey way of saying 'time travel.' See, we travel through space-time in open time-like curves in general. A closed curve loops back upon itself, and if it is time-like (as opposed to space-like or light-like) it falls back to the event that initiated the curve. It might seem weird that time travel is being referred to here, but I don't think it means we'll be seeing any back to the future shenanigans. A traversable wormhole is an example of a closed time-like curve, because FTL travel is by definition time travel. And most science fiction properties that have some sort of FTL ignore the causality issues that would arise from it (because no one really knows how to deal with it or how the universe would cope with a causality violation).

Basically, the explanation for the Miller communication is that he's stimulating Holden's brain with little wormholes (and the ring is apparently a really big wormhole). Kinda neat.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Zartosht posted:

Babylon 5 is a flawless work of high art, loving inyalowda. Farscape is also excellent, and all Star Trek sucks, especially DS9 for literally being a ripoff of B5.

I loved (a lot of) Babylon 5 but let's not go crazy. Babylon 5 had two and a half good seasons of material in 5 years, and its acting and (especially) writing were very hit or miss, even during those times. It was also not nearly as pre-planned as it was claimed, and the original 'plan' is practically a different show than what we got.

Farscape was a better show than Babylon 5 is nearly every way.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I think the show has consistently been getting better and more confident in its storytelling every season. Season one was the weakest, season 2 was a marked improvement with some slow parts, and season 3 has really built on what was established in seasons 1 and 2 to just go crazy.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Morphix posted:

Seasons 2 by episode 3 I was ready to throw in the towel on the show, it does this thing that I hate shows doing which is every character pairing off and having their intense interpersonal moment, like the ezbake create a dramatic scene is have to characters talk very intensely aboout an issue but always resolve it within the scene.

I mean there's going to be some shorthand in any storytelling scenario. It sounds more like you're just complaining that they're taking the time to establish the characters. That's loving bizarre. Characters are the foundation of storytelling. Shakespeare wasn't giving his characters long, intense monologues in order to further the plot.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Static! posted:

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

This is the hill you want to die on?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

ooooohhhh boy

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQLZff9ioko

Oh my god it's so much worse than I remembered

Edit: now in HD!

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 8, 2018

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Morphix posted:

someone said a bad thing about a thing I like, which makes me feel sad because I don't know how to seperate myself from the things I consume so I assume the person saying the bad thing is really saying I'm bad for liking the thing.txt

Your opinions are your own, but this poorly composed .txt joke with a long-rear end, meandering 'title' is loving ghastly.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I feel like you don't have any appreciation for:

A) What kind of story they're trying to tell
B) Seeing the world through the lens of each character
C) What kind of budgets they're working with

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

sebmojo posted:

I'm imagining this as a scifi blipvert and it owns.

Oh my god we'd all explode.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

listen everyone, he's made "award winning weed" so his opinion deserves respe

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

It's leaked season 4 test footage from when the aliens arrive and Fred Johnson uses the protomolecule to turn Drummer into a human turret

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

There's enough of Babylon 5 that I legitimately like to give it a half-hearted recommendation, but I also think it's entirely unessential and hasn't aged well at all. Farscape is much more interesting.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

etalian posted:

It's the decade of JNCO jeans

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/leevis-3-legged-jeans/n10132?snl=1

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Phi230 posted:

People enjoy this show?

No one enjoyed this show.

But it wasn't the core babylon 5 show, it was a 'tv movie', that, if successful, might have led to a spinoff. An ill-conceived, poorly executed, terribly written, godforsaken hellbeast that was fortunately DOA.

Still, it's something of a window into how far Babylon 5 would occasionally sink into the deep, forboding depths of unfortunate silliness and cheesiness. Most of the core show is better than that. But not all of it.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Amazon does the same thing. If Amazon has exclusive rights to some British show in the US they call it an Amazon Original despite the show being produced by Channel 4 or BBC or whatever.

Yeah, it's no different than NBC saying Scrubs was an NBC show when it was produced by ABC or Star Wars having the 20th Century Fox logo to start when it was produced by Lucasfilm. The distributor gets to put whatever they want in front of that poo poo.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

In four spacial dimensions, it would be perfectly valid for two sides of a given two dimensional surface to work differently. One side could simply be pass-through with the other being the gateway.

Of course that would open up questions like, what happens if you go halfway through on the opposite side and then reverse your direction? These aren’t problems in four spacial dimensions but they are big ones in our three-dimensional universe.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

The gate 'tech' was so inconsistent in Stargate that I bet if they did address it, it would have been changed in a later episode with some off-hand, one-line excuse to justify some plot shenanigans

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

Man Jason Momoa has come a long way since lovely sci-fi TV huh

In terms of production values yeah, but in terms of acting and/or narrative quality of the characters he plays not really

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I'm champing at the bit to find out

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Keep smoking that award-winning weed, Morphix

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Rocksicles posted:

You could argue that it doesn't really work

Neither would spinning up Ceres and Eros or whatever protomolecule bullshit is, but that shouldn't stop you from enjoying the show

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It's hyper-capitalism, with most people given the option to be second-class citizens in return for never being allowed to participate in the economy or own capital.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxag32cxwsY

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Jesse Iceberg posted:

I really appreciated that angle on it too, though I can't remember did they mention a reason why they couldn't get input from their higher ups still in the Solar System, through the ring gate?

Since the gate space didn't put any restrictions on EM radiation like radio they should only have been several light hours distant from Anderson and Dawes, or maybe I've forgotten something. Still a long delay with the pace things developed at.

EM radiation did not pierce through the gate. Even the comm laser only heated up the ring a few degrees.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

NmareBfly posted:

I can't remember if this becomes non-viable at some point due to the lockdown, but it's not as easy as pointing an antenna either way.

When poo poo really hit the fan, nearly every vessel was being held by the sphere in the center of ring space, and the speed limit was so slow that getting to the ring would have taken something like 7 months, if I am remembering correctly.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Does it seem at all odd that they would just be searching for raw materials? They apparently have access to dozens of star systems, what resources don't they have?

Presumably, there's no FTL without the gate system, right? So as they are getting started, they fling out maybe hundreds of thousands of protomolecule probes, thinking that a few thousand or so will be successful. Clearly, like with the sol system, some can be unsuccessful. Or take a long-rear end time. Most probably never reach a target at all. But enough do that you get a network.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Early Game of Thrones was pretty great. We shouldn't forget that.

It doesn't excuse the way it ended, but good things should get the props they deserve for being good.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah. I mean, it's a different experience from Netflix. You get ads more integrated into the shows, at various points.

From how I see it, Amazon has more intrusive self-advertising but, for the most part, shows that are less expensive but more critically appreciated than their comparative shows on Netflix. Season 4 of The Expanse is probably way less expensive but way better than the third season of 'Stranger Things.' At the same time, Netflix still probably has something in its library that most people consider an all-time classic.

Presentation, sometimes, is everything.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

How come we haven't started work on a space elevator? That seems the most feasible to escape our gravity well, yeah? I know nothing about physics and space so this is probably a dumb question.

Sure, all we have to do is find a way to get a spool of super-strong material that is 36,000km in length that weighs so little that we can place it in geostationary orbit.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I think you can just start with Season 3 Episode 7, Delta-V. It's like a new season anyway. Everyone gets reintroduced, as does the premise, and I think it's pretty compelling right off the bat. 8 Episodes later, if people are interested, they can go back and watch Seasons 1-3.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah when you get going at relativistic speeds, even just bumping into the odd hydrogen atom floating around can gently caress you up. You'd need some kind of thick shielding on the front of your lightspeed ship to soak those impacts. Water's pretty cheap and dense, maybe just slathering a bunch of ice all around would work.

You've got two other problems, though. One is that the CMB is everywhere. If you approach the speed of light, the CMB will be blue-shifted well into the gamma, and your spaceship will be cooked with radiation even if it doesn't hit a single stray atom.

Your second problem is Unruh radiation. If you're accelerating, the once-empty vacuum becomes a seething mass of thermal radiation. That's also going to be gamma-shifted and it's going to fry you again. You get double fried, like a good french fry or chicken wing.

But yeah, you shouldn't worry, your ship will be pulverized by relativistic hydrogen long before that happens. A little water shielding isn't going to help. Look at it this way: the universe really doesn't want anything with mass accelerating close to the speed of light. It will thermalize you if you try.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 24, 2019

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Mister Bates posted:

Also you don't have to worry about what a near-light-speed impact will do to the ship if it isn't actually going that fast in the first place, which would simplify shielding a lot.

Oh, for sure. But you also never get anywhere. The universe is really huge and we have no protomolecule with which to build gates.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

They're Mormons. They never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I earnestly admire the ability to not be bothered by being in perhaps the penultimate generation of civilization on Earth. I just hope I can find that serenity before I starve to death when our biosphere collapses in 2030.

Everyone always predicts doomsday. It's been predicted for as long as we have recorded history. Yet doomsday never comes.

Ultimately, it inevitably will. But our collective track record towards predicting its arrival is exceptionally poor, even when we think we have good motivation.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Rocksicles posted:

I mean if you're trying to do a confusing perspective and people were confused i'd say mission accomplished.

This is pretty textbook damning with faint praise.

No one's perfect, and even if you really like the effects on the Expanse, you have to admit that there are some times when they're a little iffy or unintentionally confusing. Note that I could replace "The Expanse" in that sentence with any property I can think of and the sentence would still be true.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I think it's interesting to contrast this with how the PM disassembled the ship studying it on venus (I forgot the name).

The PM needed to learn how the materials it came into contact with worked so it could construct a gate. The station was an entirely different device that was only interested in protecting itself.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Because it makes for better storytelling to give the individual factions singular points of command.

If you want the story to be more closely related to our reality then simply substitute the name 'UN' for 'ExxonFacebookDisney Inc.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Tighclops posted:

I can't remember specifically when in the show they dropped the reference but it's entirely possible the writers didn't know that about the character at the time

not that it matters

You STILL get people tossing out Tesla's name today like he was some kind of revolutionary maverick who tried to change the world, not an insane tinkerer who had no understanding of theory but happened to have the right idea at the right time.