Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Here's a better idea: don't get upset about properly tagged spoilers.

Or just read the dang books.

AlternateAccount posted:

Putting this right up top this time, since last year it got a little stupid.
/!\ Please be cool about book stuff. /!\
Keep it in its own thread. If a singular, unconnected event has occurred in the show, let's be cool about discussing how it was different in the book. Don't discuss poo poo that could possibly spoiler future events. It's not that hard.

Or just read the dang OP.

Anyway, I need more Avasarala, Amos and Alex in my life. Also Anderson Dawes. And Bobbie. And belter-bro whose name I can't recall.

...basically everybody but Holden, I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

AirborneNinja posted:

I would not call the Expanses cinematography shaky-cam in the slightest.

https://i.imgur.com/XJvkJH7.gifv

Exactly what I was thinking when I was reading the shaky can critiques. Like... not really? Sometimes the zoom effect they use is a little.. weird, but shaky cam is like Blair Witch or Cloverfield poo poo.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

yeah, the armor has to be compact enough that it can be used in ship to ship actions. I seem to remember a larger armor suit from the book (which gets owned by protoman) but it's not in the show, for budget reasons I suppose.

Again... can we not have book spoilers in the TV topic, please?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

AirborneNinja posted:

Is it a spoiler for things that already happened?

Eiba posted:

He was talking about the scene where Bobbie's unit gets taken out that they didn't even show in the TV show. There's a big guy of some sort in her unit, but I don't remember the details myself. There was decidedly no big guy in the TV series so it's not a spoiler about anything that'll be on TV.

Ohh gotcha, my bad! I didn't put two and two together when reading the sentence. I just started book 1 so I'm overly sensitive about it I guess, ignore me, carry on, carry on.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Same, I have a report due tommorrow. Doesnt syfy put it up on their website?

A report... on The Expanse?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

on queen christina of swedenChrisjen of the UNN, actually, but its probably gonna eat my time tonight.

ftfy

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Thirty minutes until we crush rear end to dust!

I'd tag team rear end-to-dust crushing with Diogo any day

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Probably nothing to do with them running low on air/food, or being in an active warzone, or JPM weaponizing the children into protomonsters, or...

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

I mean they are dumping $500 million on the Lord of the Rings series. And that's after paying $250 million just for the rights.

loving ew.

Watching the series has got me pumped to start reading the books again; I took a break after 3 to swap to some different scifi but I'm gonna come back at this series hard.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I hope they fit some of the spoopy ring stuff into the show. Also I forgot how much the timeline is being compressed, been rereading book three and it's like five years from the beginning of the story at this point.

Yeah, I just started book 5 and after the prologue they're like "1 year after blahblah blah, 3 years after book 4 stuff" and I was thinking, drat, if the time jumps in the book are this big they're gonna be on the exact opposite side of the spectrum for the show, most likely!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Goddamn that was a great loving finale, when the gate system opened I was literally just :aaaaa:

The map that Avasarala was looking at was super cool too

And yeah Amos' "guess I'm gonna need that gun back" said so coolly and calmly was just :swoon:

Can't wait to see their take on book 4! Space Indiana Jones Holden with killer slugs and the evil alien bullet thingy! :bubblewoop:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I thought the shimmer related to(book spoilers) the blob of protomolecule left on the Roci that allowed Miller to brainllucinate into Holden? During that little vision Miller says something like "I need to stick with you/stick around" pretty close to the shimmer, right? That's what I took away from it :shrug:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I want some cool ringspace with ~1300 open gate wallpapers, or like the projection thing Avasarala was looking at :swoon:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Phi230 posted:

What happens when you need to bathroom in your power armor

You know the true answer to this.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Diogo got floored.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Invalid Validation posted:

I personally hope they turn into yarn people.

Ah, Nylar 4, a great planet.

But do you think the OPA will join with the DOOP? Turn into the DOOPA?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm still waiting for my Kindle public library books 6 & 7 :argh:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Rocksicles posted:

You want the epubs? i have the whole series on epub and audiobook.

I'm considering listening to it up to the end of book 3

Are the easy ways to read those that aren't my phone? I like the Kindle cause it's a screen but not really a screen.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I watched so much SG1 with my dad it will forever hold a special place in my heart :3:

BSG is hot trash though :shrug:

I love that Farscape is up on Netflix though, drat that's a great show

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Farscape is a different kind of sexual awakening.

yeah, a Claudia-Black-Sexual-Awakening

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

bring back old gbs posted:

and most importantly its based on work by an author that actually seems to be writing more story, and general consensus is that the quality hasn't really dipped. Keeps everybody optimistic and not "ahh geez this is the [BOOK NAME HERE] season...."

yeah, even the book that is generally considered at the bottom of the list I'm still very excited for :bubblewoop:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

so Miller is Jesus, right? if we're sticking with the religious theme and all

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Holden is Jesus.

Miller got resurrected so

Holden is like

Job or something

idk the Bible?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Miller wasn't resurrected, he's a hallucination.

nah he was resurrected like 113 times a second iirc

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Morphix posted:

I'll admit I had to google the names to see the faces,

:thunk:

if you're in season 3 of a show and literally can't remember main character's names i think you need to go to a memory clinic, friend

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

Neither Drummer or Ashford are exactly main characters

they're main characters IN MY HEART, OKAY

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

DaveKap posted:

Remembering names is loving hard, dude. Some of us have better things to remember.

:goonsay:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

so is the gate the ring, or does it need hands on either side, one with a ring, or

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

The best scene is still Amos preparing cereal in front of a bunch of 8 year olds and watching the space jellyfish emerge from Venus while saying "What the gently caress is that?" and the censored audio version, which I've seen, loving ruins the moment.

That scene is :discourse:

Wes Chatham is the best :swoon:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

crazypeltast52 posted:

They are there because Americans would recognize them as the religion that could and would fund a project like that.

or Scientology

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

He's gonna die before he finishes it

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

crushed to dust in the early solar system.

Diogo transcending time and space, I like it

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

I had completely forgotten about Atlantis.

Man Jason Momoa has come a long way since lovely sci-fi TV huh

Holy gently caress I completely forgot he was in that trainwreck of a TV show

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

New thread title mods???

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Specifically, Cibola refers to the ruins of a pueblo (native housing structures in Southwest America) in modern day New Mexico. In 1540, Francisco Coronado conquered it, thinking that it was one of the legendary cities of gold (he was wrong, of course, but that didn't stop him from slaughtering the inhabitants).

Later in 1628, a Catholic mission was established there. The native Zunis were forced into unpaid labor and their religion was suppressed. They later revolted and burned the mission to the ground. Hence, Cibola Burn.

drat, that's cool to know. I never really looked deeply into the book names, I'll gave to dig the rest.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

They repaint the mural in the command deck to be Saint CrushesAssToDust

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Surprise Giraffe posted:

If progress continues at the current rate we won't need alien tech to walk from one star systems to another 100+ years from now

:thunk:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

I think you mean beautiful.

All Cats Are Beautiful

:hmmyes:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Baloogan posted:

season 4 is wall to wall bezos dick pics

"I call them Bezos panels"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw Bobbie Draper in Mortal Engines and it was terrible. She does a stupid accent too.

Saw her IG post about that and was thinking about watching the movie, thanks for saving me the time :toot: