Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It's even worse on bluray ( digital pasties ) and yeah, making her an aryan, especially when she dies in the first ep, is a pretty overtly racist casting decision.

They actually cast her as white because she dies in the first episode. They didn't want to kill a named POC right at the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

the show has 3 non euro women as lead characters. I wouldn't sweat the loss of one character who disappears almost immediately.

https://twitter.com/Mi55Tipper/stat...563413206126592

edit: thinking back to the post I made where I said that Frankie Adams wasn't large enough. lol

They sure as poo poo shoot her as flatly as possible though so her size is never shown off.

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

That certainly seems likely since we saw ~some~ kind of planet-shattering explosion in the trailer and it seems unlikely that it would be Miller's World.

I think it's way more likely to be Holden's vision of the demise of the Protomolecule creators

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

Here is a spoiler thread. Mainly because I liked the title idea I had too much.

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was it the very same episode? God drat I must have missed it completely. Twice!

This is because for all its greatness The Expanse can't figure out how to make its muddy looking space scenes legible.

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

double nine posted:

rewatching season 1, what was Jules-Pierre Mao planning to do with the stealth ships? Before the protomolecule became his obsession. Was he planning to build a private space empire with his own military?

I think he was simply planning to sell them to Earth. Earth had been illegally building stealth ships ready for war. The Protomolecule changed plans and Mao used the ships he had built.

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

It's an example of the show introducing something without any real dramatic weight and not doing a good job of selling what it means to the characters. The show is guilty of this multiple times over, most frustratingly with the reveal that the Protomolecule is alien.

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

If Season 3 ends on a high note or closes a chapter of the overall story, it'll suck but I'll be fine with it.

Having read the books and seem the episode titles you should expect another cliffhanger ending.

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

logikv9 posted:

Please god get picked up somewhere else

I'm going to guess that it won't be. Netflix has the international rights and Amazon has the American rights. That means neither company would be able to have it on their platform worldwide and would be potentially helping their competitor. So... no pick up.

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

Svaha posted:

This bit has me worried.

It should. The show is hosed for this reason. Neither company will want to touch it when they will be inadvertently helping the competition.

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

Alcon had the streaming rights sold and signed before they even approached SYFY the first time because they jumped the gun on the shows success. I feel kind of bad blaming SYFY for this one.

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

MizPiz posted:

One thing I am concerned about them finding a new distributor are the potential influences they'll have on the show. It seemed like the show got away with more than what most other ones can, especially one with the sort of budget the Expanse has.

Compared to a lot of shows the Expanse isn't that expensive to make. It looks expensive, but compared to even something like American Gods is relatively cheap.

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

MooselanderII posted:

Haha holy crap, some of the Expanse reddit people are hosting a go fund me to hire a plane to fly a "Save the Expanse" banner above Amazon studios: https://www.gofundme.com/savetheexpanse-marketing

And they raised the cash.

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

Cas is making a live announcement in 20 mins. Looking good.

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

Sorry for hyping you all up folks. Guess that's it for hope.

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

Svaha posted:

The live viewing thing was always a hail mary to keep the status quo. Live viewing is fundamentally at odds with the existing audience of the show, which is actually very large. Amazon doesn't give a poo poo about the live numbers and they haven't said no to picking the show up yet.

Oh they definitely have. There's an unspoken reason everyone involved in the show went from pushing fans to contact Amazon and waiting around their offices to begging for live views on the chance SYFY has a change of heart.

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

In the books Earth is 30 billion and Mars has four.

I don't think we ever see the moon. The only real extended Mars surface action is the novella about Bobbie, which all takes place on Mars.

We spend a lot of time on the Moon and what would probably be a few episodes worth of time on Mars in later books.

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

Frustrated posted:

Can any book reader tell me around when this season looks to end so I can skip right to that point in the books after this season ends?

No idea. All book readers best guesses have been thrown off by comments made by the authors regarding the cancellation.

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

Blackchamber posted:

Oh so hes an officer who pushes all his work off on someone else why he gets all the credit? Ok thats grounded in reality, I'm on board.

This is actually pretty accurate to the books, yep.

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Cas will be debuting the rap he wrote to get more people watching and boost the SyFy numbers

I just laughed out loud on the train because of this post. Well done.

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

To be fair it was behind sealed deck plating. And it's been a pretty calm few months it seems, they probably didn't get shot at more than once or twice, practically a vacation, so I can understand not ripping deck plating off when not a whole lot is happening.

I still feel like we missed a lot with the time skip. I guess a lot of it can be glossed over; Chrisjen being formally cleared and returning to Earth, peace being declared, the OPA actually becoming a state, squiddy traveling nearly the half the width of the solar system, although I do wonder if it obeyed physics this time and had any recognizable form of propulsion. But particularly I feel like we missed something with the UN SG resigning, and why Anna we chosen/agreed to go on this Thoughts and Prayers brigade. It seems unlikely that she'd volunteer considering the effect it's having on her family, and all she is is just a talented speech writer the disgraced former SG used to know.

The main problem with the show has always been it's awful pacing.

Book One ended when Eros crashed into Venus and Book Two ended when the squid ship rose off the planet.

Each season having an amazing midseason finale and then an unresolved, listless mess of a finale has been terrible for it.

The time jump would make way more sense and feel more natural if it was between seasons.

Anna is currently in early Season Two Bobbie territory. They pushed her into the first half of the season despite her not really having much to do and not being around for that part of the books.

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

DaveKap posted:

I don't read the books and so I'm curious about this and whether or not it's much of a spoiler to tell us who should've said what line exactly...

It's Miller. When he first reappears in the books it's the very end of Book Two and the last line of the book. Hey. We need to talk.

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

Steven Strait looks so sweet and personable in all of these pictures that I'm putting ten more points in the "he's really good at playing an unlikeable character" column for why everyone doesn't like him.

Also just remembered he was the caveman from 10,000 BC.

Holden's character suffers the most from the shows changing timeline. In the books the first two seasons of experiences are actually about five years of time so he's obsession with the Protomolecule once it resurfaces on Ganymede makes more sense because he's had a couple of years to be haunted by Eros. Other aspects of his motivation has been lost in translation.

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

etalian posted:

Amos passed the Captain America test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Acl9LnAlQ

Urgggh. I hate that furnace effect so much. What the gently caress?

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

R-Type posted:

Why. What does it matter if the story is good who is what? What if Amos is anti? You going to rage quit? It matters not.

Bit of an over reaction here.

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

bloom posted:

Not even sure what an increased budget would translate into when the show already looks amazing.

Its the interiors that suffer the most from the shows low budget. The Roci hasn't been fully explored on screen for example, and the Behemoth is too tight and constrained compared the wide open fields it's said to have in the books.

Plus, as the story continues events get bigger and I can't imagine some of the stuff coming up would be easy to do with the shows current budget.

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

double nine posted:

speaking of, I've been thinking why the protomolecule bit on the Rocci hasn't been spreading along the ship, as compared to the earther vessel that ate a protomolecule missile during the Io climax. Either there isn't enough radiation for it to grow because of superior martian radiation insolation, or the protomolecule has realized the ability of staying hidden? Or maybe some part of Miller still in there is protecting the rocci from being engulfed?

It needs radiation to stay active and not slip into hibernation. It needs organic matter to grow.

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

Blackchamber posted:

So what you are saying is its a show-er not a grower?

I've not watched Hung sorry.

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

Phi230 posted:

That's because the PM is merely a tool of the actual Ring Builder species

Put down your phone next time the show is on

I don't think this has actually been confirmed in show dude.

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

So this is actually a badly framed shot. The camera is INSIDE the ring, and the whole gate is off to your left. If you zoomed out, it would make more sense, but the torp being completely surrounded by stars, even though it's inside the gate and just being framed in it, makes it seem like it's outside the gate.

The Expanse has never been very good at actually portraying space and ships places in it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

Speaking of spoilers:
(Preview for tonight)
https://twitter.com/casanvar/status/1012040630057553926?s=21

I'm calling Bull.

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

Rocksicles posted:

gently caress this thread needs a big padlock on it

edit: i just found out Julie Mao was the Kree assassin chick in the last season of Shield

That's just blown my mind.

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

Baloogan posted:

if this is a book spoiler please don't answer it, but what happens when you enter the other side of the ring? like, it seems like theres only one side that works based on the geometry of the alien pocket universe thing

What do you mean? The gates allow two way travel in and out.

Do you mean the green space that marks the border of the slow zone? In which case you know everything we do. Things just vanish like the probe did earlier.

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

Dancer posted:

Lol ProtoGen threw 75% of their fleet down the drain to blow up the Donnager.

Actually I'm not sure that's quite right. I know that Spacedock does a great job of checking facts but I don't think it's ever confirmed that all the stealth ships were destroyed in the scuttle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 16, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Bobbie is wearing her Goliath Armour in that pic too, so it might be just fun from the art department for the binder

That's the Season Three key art. They wouldn't of made one for Season Four yet so they are just using an older image.