Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

twistedmentat posted:

I love how Belters have this weird hybrid language and completely alien accents.

And that's what the language in Firefly would actually be like IRL. A weird mix of English and Mandarin, not just perfect English and using Mandarin for swearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

The guy writing the recaps for The AV Club thinks Nguyen's name is "Winn." Like, his name tag clearly says Nguyen.

Until today, I didn't know that Nguyen was pronounced that way either. I guess I don't know enough Vietnamese people :shrug:

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

MrWilderheap posted:

In astronomy maybe, but as far as English in general goes "world" can mean a group of people (e.g. "the western world") or it can also mean "everything that exists"

As someone who has studied astronomy at university level (although I'm not an astronomer), I don't believe 'world' has a proper scientific/astronomical definition. If you mean planet you say planet, if you mean moon or dwarf planet you'd say that.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Well that makes sense I guess. My knowledge of military ranks is basically zero. I know generals are top dogs and privates are bottom dogs but that's about it. Not even sure what a sargent is to be honest tho I don't really care enough to find out either.

Sergeant is somewhere in the middle, and that's probably all you need to know. It can depend on exactly which military or branch of the military you're talking about of couse, kind of like how a navy captain is a very different rank to an army captain.