Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, it was just one of those things where I don't think the show would have improved by wasting a scene where Naomi types into a controller and someone says "Whatcha doing?" and she says "Oh, just shutting down the Roci by remote control, nbd."

If it needed to be done I would've probably done the same tracking shot of the ships shutting down one-by-one, until it zooms in on the Roci. Cut to a monitor on the ship: "Remote Shutdown", cut back to the exterior with the ship powering off.

I really enjoy the series for the political elements but the expositional dialogue is one of the weaker points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I don't know why they established that Miller's partner survived if we were just never going to see him again anyway, though.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
If you want a non-region-blocked video with Sutton's voice this is all I can think of:

https://youtu.be/xw-jSymE76o

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

NTRabbit posted:

Caliban is a half man, half monster character from Shakespeare's The Tempest, and is a pretty neat reference for the protomolecule hybrids.

Also, like many Shakespearean characters, a moon of Uranus

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

twistedmentat posted:

Video was this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNjrI0YvZYA

They say 50-100 million upon reawatch, with the 50 million number I can believe based on the Ceres and Pre ProtoMolcule Eros, but that 100 million yea.

There's no point in the show naming every single inhabited station, but the asteroid belt is about 95 quadrillion km^2 when seen from above and there are plenty of asteroid candidates that are many hundreds of times bigger than Eros was.

To be honest, the most implausible part about the whole thing is spinning them up in the first place, as discussed by illectro/Mr. Manley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU9dCWY7G2M

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Honestly, if they're going to steal design cues from games, I'm glad HW is one of them.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
What was up with the sideplot where Amos and Naomi turn into lizards?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
If you can stomach the fact that it's rather dated and also an anime, Legend of Galactic Heroes has loads of political intrigue and colossal battles.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Cojawfee posted:

I'm pretty sure Data describes it as a dead language. Or maybe that was Futurama.

It was both.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

jeeves posted:

I am 100% convinced Amos was written as a love letter tribute Titus Pullo.

I guess it worked, as the two awesome characters are now one in my head.

Amos is Pullo if he was a psychopath

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Yeah, Ashford as an anti-villain rather than an actual villain was a good decision. Cool character, cool actor.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I love that this show can make me excited to see a guy whose name is "Fred Johnson"

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

MA-Horus posted:

I'm having beers with Cara Gee tonight

Any questions I can ask in a totally non fanboy fashion?

(yes I will be asking how the gently caress she figured out Drummer's accent)

Ask her if she made whirring noises when walking with the robot legs.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

MA-Horus posted:

Yes, she made the robot noises with the legs.

She is a wonderful person and we nerded the gently caress out while our friends laughed at us.

:pusheen:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I just figured that it was like Badger and that he's in such a poor-as-poo poo environment that a hat is considered a luxury item.

Hell, water is.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Make that stretcher centrifuge but strap the people on facing outwards

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The show turned Jon Snow into the main character, so theres that

Given who he is I think that was always bound to happen

What I like most about the Expanse is the political intrigue, which I think makes it slightly closer to Rome in that respect.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Grand Fromage posted:

At least it's low altitude and most of the debris will be down quickly, unlike the Chinese one.

Here's hoping, because this kind of poo poo terrifies me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS1ibDImAYU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Cojawfee posted:

Wow. I'm all onboard for a casual "humanity is a cancer on the earth" every once in a while, but to actually believe that humans should totally go extinct.

From an objective standpoint, it would probably be for the best, but I do have a vested interest in that not happening.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Johnny Truant posted:

Klingon has 0 utility

Why would you waste time learning it

Like I'm generally not one to rag on how people spend their time, I do lots of dumb poo poo, but learning Klingon is stupid af and an absolute waste of time

I remember reading about a couple who raised their kid as a native Klingon speaker and even he stopped using it after a few years.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Baronjutter posted:

We;re watching through battle star galactica against my will and I got super excited when I saw Prax.

Oh poo poo, yeah, Chuckles!

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
This is the only poo poo I'm interested in:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/3BE65HKE2/rocinante-full-colour?optionId=64727273&li=marketplace

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Mu Zeta posted:

They don't have race anymore in the world of The Expanse. I don't think there's sexism either. It's pretty much between the rich and poor. And from Naomi's accent she's definitely poor.

I would definitely call her Belter accent poor.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Johnny Truant posted:

How come we haven't started work on a space elevator? That seems the most feasible to escape our gravity well, yeah? I know nothing about physics and space so this is probably a dumb question.

It's certainly a neat idea but there are a few logistical issues when it comes to maintaining a cable as long as the earth is round.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The Belter accent for me sounds very similar to Multicultural London English, especially when it's coming from Dawes (makes sense, seeing as Jared Harris is from London)

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Wait, does the Roci have a railgun now?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Unless something unplanned happens, the ships tend to be under constant acceleration for the entire journey aside from a brief period where they flip around. I think I remember reading they tend to go at 0.3g for the sake of the Belters and Martians

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Thom12255 posted:

Can Belters stand Martian gravity?

The Belters on the asteroid stations are in .3g, which is about the same as Mars.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
You'd reach the speed of light (assuming Newtonian physics right up to the end) after almost a year of travel at 1g, so only for journeys of about 2 years.

So, to reach the same speeds at 0.3g you'd be heading somewhere about 7 years away for you.

I did modules in Special Relativity at university, but I've forgotten all the numbers for Lorentz transformations apart from just knowing that they'd exist.

If you want to fit a 10m ladder in your 5m garage, just carry it in running at close to the speed of light.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Crazycryodude posted:

If Epstein's yacht did 10g for a week before running out of gas he'd be going a solid chunk of c, like ~0.15-ish, so that makes sense. Although the Mormons could expect to be at Alpha Centauri within a few years, I'm honestly surprised nobody's bothered to put together an extrasolar mission before them tbh. You'd have to build a dedicated exploration ship with 15 years of fuel and provisions, of course, but that seems like the kind of thing that would be well within the capabilities of Mars or Earth if they felt like it.

Actually, now it makes perfect sense. The Mormons wouldn't be able to burn for more than a few years before hitting light speed but they don't need to be burning the whole way at all.

They got the drum.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Or Mass Effect, where there is actually FTL, but nowhere near fast enough to get very far around the galaxy

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Groetgaffel posted:

Ship FTL also has a second limiting factor in Mass Effect.
If I remember my :techno: correctly, using the FTL drive builds up a static charge that has to be discharged after a while. For ships that can't land on planets, the only suitable places to do so is the atmosphere of a gas giant, and certain space stations with the correct infrastructure.

Yeap, absolutely correct.

That's one of the things I loved about the first game, that they'd created a universe and put a huge amount of thought in the how everything "worked"

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

404notfound posted:

The first Mass Effect had weapons with infinite ammo, limited instead by an overheating mechanism. The in-game explanation was that your ammo was essentially a big chunk of metal that the gun would shave tiny slivers off of to shoot.

Then the second game onward switched to a more traditional ammo system with the justification that "more bullets = better than" and changed guns to use "disposable heatsinks" (i.e., ammo magazines).

I like that they tried to keep in-universe with the change, but it's a shame that one of the more unique things about the game went way post–EA acquisition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEnIQWXCgzQ

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
BSG had a run of 1 and 2/3 of a season without a single bad episode but slowly turned into Lost: In Space no pun intended about midway through the third.

Still recommended though, the earlier seasons had some of the best VFX art direction I've seen for a sci-fi show

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Galactica is great until they get to New Caprica and then sort of shakes itself apart in pieces and chunks. The moment they crash Pegasus into a basestar is really a shift from "military sci-fi with magic realism" to "magic space realism." And that doesn't usually bother me, but it's the start of a slow decline that -- though it never completely craters.

I've said it before in this thread but the thing I really lament after that point is how they stopped paying attention to the little details.

From Season 2: every single little gun is animated and firing

They stopped doing that from Season 3 and all the ships started flying around like in Star Wars

----------------------------------

There's bound to be some overlapping interest here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_nj6wW6Gsc

Captain Splendid fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 20, 2019

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Grand Fromage posted:

free the turds.

Tuppence a bag.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Do either of Miller's partners ever show up again?

"Hey! The rookie you thought was dead is alive and recovering but oh well that's his last scene so it doesn't matter" v:v:v

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

ashpanash posted:

You STILL get people tossing out Tesla's name today like he was some kind of revolutionary maverick who tried to change the world, not an insane tinkerer who had no understanding of theory but happened to have the right idea at the right time.

He picked the perfect brand name, thinking about it.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Not posting the tweet here, because it contains a casting spoiler, but Amazon France will be the first to premier!

Not sure if I found the same tweet as you but they didn't explicitly say that he would be in *this* season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I mean, technically The Expanse is a TV series with Jonathan Banks, but that's not the same as outright saying he's in season 4