Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I watched season one back when it was the only season available and it was kind of underwhelming at the end - now I know that's because the season ended in the middle of a plotline.

I've just binged the whole series from scratch and it's incredible how much better the show gets.

Though the time jump in the middle of season three was very jarring. I had to stop and check Wikipedia to make sure I didn't somehow miss an episode. If the show gets that far, I hope they do the 30 year time jump the same way. Just this week, everybody is old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Netflix and Prime (with HBO) is plenty for me, though I still buy the occasional movie where there are gaps.

Now that GoT is over (thank god), I'm going to drop HBO once Chernobyl is done.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Cojawfee posted:

The water isn't all that spicy. Depending on how deep that pool is, you could swim a couple feet under the water and actually be receiving less radiation than you would on the surface. Water is very good at blocking radiation. To bring this back to space talk. Some space travel plans include having a panic room type thing surrounded by the water supply which people could go into during high radiation events to protect themselves.

Red Mars used this idea, there was a scene where they saw a solar flare and had a certain number of minutes to get to the radiation shelter that was in the middle of all the water tanks.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Johnny Truant posted:

How come we haven't started work on a space elevator? That seems the most feasible to escape our gravity well, yeah? I know nothing about physics and space so this is probably a dumb question.

In the same way a Dyson sphere is the most feasible way to get all the possible energy of the sun, yes.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

And hoo boy if it snaps it's gonna be a bad time for a lot of people.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Yeah imagine the destruction caused by it wrapping all the way around the Earth like that, flattening cities and creating bigass waves. And in most cases, the poor saps at the terminal stations get sent out on a one way trip to asphyxiate (well, more likely to starve).

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Doing a rewatch and dragging my wife along this time because I have nobody to talk to about this show except one friend. As I expected, it was very hard for it to hold her interest in the first season and a half until maybe the last couple episodes of that arc. The second half of the second season started getting her more interested and now in the middle of the third season, she's hooked.

That's the big problem that makes me think it's not going to get the huge following Amazon thinks they can bring it. People who hear about it will watch the first season and think "what's the big deal" and probably not bother to get to the good poo poo.

Oh well, as long as Bezos is a fan, he can get hosed but at least he can keep this show going.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

sebmojo posted:

I think if you don't like it after the donnager escape it might not be for you

Personally I enjoyed the first season but it didn't grab me the way season two and especially season three did. The way season one ended in particular didn't really leave me feeling like I had to have more. I never bothered with the show after that until after season three had aired (I watched season 1 prior to season 2 premiering). If season one ended with the Eros impact on Venus, probably a different story.

Each of the seasons is better than the one before it, and season three is the only one that properly ends at the end of an arc with a tease of what's next. Also the second half of season three having lots of Ashford and Drummer owns.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 28, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't think it's enough of a spoiler in the show at this point if it hasn't been covered, but the protomolecule was never meant to interact with humans. It was meant to absorb and repurpose primitive biomass that's barely even capable of thinking, like bacteria. Infecting and absorbing sentient humans added unexpected complexity and gave the protomolecule consciousness that it was never meant to have.

Seems like an oversight in their risk register.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

So I didn't watch the longer clip but a question I have from the trailer...is Bobbie part of the Rocinante crew this season? I distinctly got that impression from her strapping in next to Alex at the end of season 3. But she was nowhere to be seen when the Roci was landing on New Terra.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I thought it was her name just because I can't imagine Drummer taking it otherwise without punching him in the throat.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Unless you either work remotely or have your own office that is...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Can anyone link where I can get the $200 toy roci? The Kickstarter doesn't have an order link.

Asking for a friend of course.

Edit: supposedly I have the S1-4 soundtrack ok vinyl coming Friday, who knows?! Amazon has been bad about such things lately. But if so between that and S4 I'm gonna be up pretty late.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 12, 2019