Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

The lack of love for Anderson Dawes and Jared Harris's phenomenal performance as him in the op is a bit disappointing.

He is a good character in the books but Harris has killed it in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I'm just worried that Diogo is going to take up the slingshot club life as a break from being an OPA rumbler.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

In a later scene (I think it's after they get on the Tachi, and Alex is watching the Martian news) there's a report on in the background referencing Diogo's uncle getting killed but it's framed as the Martian frigate being attacked by OPA terrorists and them destroying the ship.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

I always read it as just basic tech that was far too expensive for the OPA or any small time player.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

I really don't think the suits were proto tech, but I can see why folks would think that. Before Eros, the Protogen team didn't have much protomolecule, and couldn't even keep it properly contained during the Phoebe experiment, much less develop and build items based on it. It just doesn't add up that they'd somehow reverse engineered any aspect of the PM and incorporated it into space suit designs when all they had for data and samples were from Phoebe. I think it was just military grade tech in hands that shouldn't have had it, just like the stealth ships.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Phi230 posted:

Regenerating suits is something nobody else has. I think the Protogen suits look dumb as hell, and they shouldn't have made them regenerate for no reason in one scene

I mean it hasn't been shown so explicitly, but the Martian who gets them on the Tachi was shot to hell and wasn't spraying gas everywhere from his suit before they got inside the airlock. Could've been a production choice, or you could read it as his suit also having resealing capabilities. I'm trying to remember if Bobbie's faceplate started to reseal after it got cracked by the protomonster when it exploded, it definitely was bleeding gas before she passed out, and I don't think it was when she gets woken up by the medic.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

My memory is fuzzy on some of those details but for what it's worth, that whole scene with the healing armor wasn't in the books, and there were no implications that Protogen had developed any PM based tech before the hybrids started showing up. Big picture it doesn't matter too much, the point was to show that the people attacking the Donnager had tech well beyond what anyone expected, just like non-Martians having stealth composites.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

etalian posted:

The proto-molecule has the Hat.

I know you're joking, but Anderson Dawes probably has the hat given that Miller left it behind when he left Ceres.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Amos is fantastic, and his casting couldn't have been better. I really hope the show goes on long enough to cover the later books because Amos has some great scenes later on in the story.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

There's a lot in the show especially that doesn't make sense if you look too closely at it from a hard sci-fi perspective. The notion that the missile platforms could be hidden, and once found, be "lost" if they move makes no sense, same for the Roci somehow being able to "lose" the tracking of the UN or Mars, and then be compromised (except to the person they're communicating with) if they took or sent a tightbeam transmission.

Stealth in space aside from some very niche cases doesn't exist, and the idea of railgun platforms on Earth being able to snipe the Martian platforms without any warning is also complete nonsense if you're being 100% grounded in reality.

That said, it'd be really boring TV to be completely realistic, so I'm fine with their bizzaro space world where things aren't perfectly accurate if it's generally consistent within its own rules.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

If those platforms were Mar's main deterrent threat, they're really bad at deterrence. A bunch of large missile platforms a long ways from Earth when you're the only power who has access to large amounts of stealth composites shows a real failure of imagination.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

They're analogues for SSBNs, the stealthy first strike weapon of choice during the second half of the cold war, Mars will still have the land based ICBM equivalents on the planet.

The stealth ships have all so far been made from advanced sensor absorbent materials wrapped around angular designs that scatter returns, which means to me that parking one in near earth orbit is like having an F-117 orbit Baghdad at 100 feet in the day time, poo poo's gonna be seen.

Plus there's the getting it there part, because stealth doesn't hide engine plumes, which would mean ejecting them in secret from civilian cargo ships passing by, by which point you might as well be saving money and using briefcase bombs.

Yeah stealth ships wouldn't be very useful for that kind of role (ignoring that stealth ships don't work in a realistic space setting), but those composites could be put on unmanned objects that could go dark and cold and be inserted into useful orbits by using decoy missions over a long period of time and eventually end up in orbits that would make them strategically useful in a doomsday scenario.

Avasarala's concern in the first season about people who throw rocks speaks to the most obvious application: stealth composite coated asteroids (or similar large masses) thrown on hard to predict (or obfuscated) trajectories are going to be nearly impossible to find unless you know exactly where to look until it's too late to effectively destroy them - which kinda makes the whole idea of a first strike on the missile platforms not make much sense from the perspective of wanting to knock out Mar's main deterrent in a major planet-to-planet exchange. Getting them rolling without people noticing would be the tricky part, but in the setting as described, well within the bounds of possibility.

Just in case anyone in here hasn't heard of the online bible of hard sci-fi Project Rho, here's their page on stealth in space which covers in great detail a lot of what's being discussed currently.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Well Antarctica might have mineral deposits worth going after, and depending on what climate change did to the region, it may be more inhabitable than you're thinking in the post-climate change world of the Expanse.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Phi230 posted:

Nah Malthus was a dumb bitch and so are people who buy into overpopulation rhetoric

He might've been wrong in some ways, but lol if you don't think that endless growth of energy consumption is something that we as a species can sustain forever.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

If I'm remembering the first book correctly, Ade actually notices a patch of space that's a bit warmer than background right before the Anubis fires up its drive and nukes the Cant, but they don't really get into the exact specifics of how the stealth composites work beyond that.

Grand Fromage posted:

Also like the Epstein drive they don't explain how it works. :v:
I believe the exact quote on how it works is "it works very well".

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

We do have that ability now, but doing that across the entire sky is practically impossible as evidenced by the fact that we notice an asteroid pass between the Earth and moon all the time: just usually not until after it has passed by.

An imaging system taking in the entire sky like that would be on the magnitude of a few billion satellites, all with Hubble-scale resolution. And even then, the MCRN could just plot courses so that the platforms never occlude a star visible from Earth, meaning you need even more satellites! If you can make that many bespoke imaging platforms, you are probably putting that budget into more ships, not cameras, and an active-radar cordon between Earth and Luna.

You should really read the article in the post you quoted, it covers everything you raised, and gives plausible answers on how the problems you're raising wouldn't be much of a problem in a setting like The Expanse's.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Also, the books make it very clear that Mars doesn't have a magnetic field, and that it's going to always be an issue for the planet.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Calling the Protomolecule a WMD is vastly understating how valuable it is. Yeah uncontained it causes horrifying havoc, and incredibly unethical experiments were conducted using it, but its potential seems nearly limitless and could reshape literally everything about Human life. Much like the Epstein drive which the show links directly to the PM, Naomi saw the big picture and knew that if the Belt didn't have access to it, they would likely be permanently relegated to the oppressed state they are currently in.

Put another way, aside from the Protogen group (and maybe the poor dissolving corpses of the crew of the Arboghast), nobody fully appreciates what the PM is, and what it could do. Mao's been selling the PM as a weapon to the closed-minded Inners to get the space he needs to build a new system order based not on the PM as a weapon, but as a base for everything.

Her betrayal of the crew's trust is a big deal, but from a political standpoint she's absolutely correct in making sure the Belt got it over ditching it into the Sun.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Counter-counter point: the Belt cannot survive without the Inners. Especially now that Ganymede is gone...

The Inners really can't survive without the Belt either, having leverage is better than remaining a colonial subjugated people, the problem is that there isn't an organization with legitimacy capable of unifying the Belters as a political unit currently. If Fred Johnson and Anderson Dawes find some kind of an accord, they might be able to make that happen, but obviously there's some issues with that.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Also Avasarala was a face of the UN on the newsfeeds, remember her propagandizing about Fred Johnson in previous seasons?

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Holden is even more pissy in the books? Yikes.

This is why I hope the show keeps going, because I'm not hugely excited about what I've heard about the books. This is expanse 1.5 and I don't want to go back to version 1.0. Hell I hope if there is a season 4 they take things in an even more different direction, just using the books as a basic inspiration and thinking "how can we make this better?"

The books are good in their own right, and there's far more background detail on the setting if that's something you're interested in.

Holden's still an insufferable prick most of the time, but him falling out with Naomi (in a period likely to be more or less skipped in the show given the time compression) has more to do with him becoming a jaded rear end in a top hat ala Miller than it has to do with him being the self-righteous dolt that's the core of his character generally.

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 17, 2018

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

I'm pretty sure Prax is a Belter by birth, and just moved to Ganymede from elsewhere in the outer planets, but I may be misremembering things.

Regardless, the term "the world" has meant different things in the course of our history, and even if you take a narrow view of its meaning, most people in the setting will spend their entire lives on the world they're born to, even Belters. Of the main Belter characters in our narrative only Naomi is a "space Belter", Miller was a city Belter, and after moving, Prax and Mei were both Ganymede Belters who likely would live their entire lives never going up the well.

It's easy to forget given the focus of the narrative, but people who live their lives on the float or under spin gravity are an incredibly small minority of Humanity, and most folks just stay home.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Children of a Dead Earth is basically KSP but with hard-scifi combat. It's far more realistic than the Expanse setting (no magic drives, having to deal with heat management), but there are a lot more similarities to the setting than say Mass Effect or X-wing.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

It'll be a crime if an OST with the Belter covers of modern pop songs doesn't get released.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

The Roci probably outclasses almost any civilian ship out there in terms of combat firepower (at least after the Protogen ships were destroyed), but she's nothing special in the context of the Martian or UN fleet. Remember the Tachi was one of several ships of her class stationed on the Donnager as a support vessel.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

xthnru posted:

Where the gently caress do I find the full version of Highway Star in Belta, I need that poo poo.

We still haven't gotten the Lang Belta version of the Black Keys song from the first episode so who knows.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Anderson Dawes did nothing wrong.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

But some random belters spaced Prax's friend so both sides are bad.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

pixaal posted:

I've always viewed the OPA as more a bunch of small companies, the leaders (C-levels) are going to stick around, but the lower members (employees) are going to move a bit, but mostly stick around. They don't want to join Big Corporate (Fred), but maybe they'll agree to go along with whatever plans they do have.

This is the most Inyalowda way to describe the OPA you could've possibly gone with.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Mao was one of the first people off world to see the results from Phoebe, and probably one of the only people to fully appreciate the potential of what they'd found there. Given his position as a major player in UN politics and MIC contracting he had the resources to set up and execute the plan we see in the early stages of kicking off in the first episode of the show. I read it as he's contracted the creation of his fleet and his plan well before the events in the show start. Remember that Avasarala is introduced interrogating (presumably) one of his agents who was smuggling stealth composites to build his fleet, and the OPA connection she assumes is a red herring.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Thank you Jules Pierre Mao for saving Misko and Marisko from cancellation.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

Pretty sure that's just a show thing to artificially create tension, I think it's mentioned in the books that there are controls in the armrests of all the crash couches because yeah, a bleeding-edge warship would be pretty drat useless if pulling a couple gees made the crew unable to fly it.

Yeah, the books have everyone in gimbaled crash couches all the time they're undergoing maneuvers, with controls you can use at very high Gs. The more egregious example of this specific concession for TV are the capital ships that have the command staff standing in the middle of a big naval ship style bridge during combat. Enjoy your broken ankles from the mag boots and your missing teeth when you slam your face into the tac display when your ship makes a lateral course correction.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

My favorite cheap prop is the spray painted micropipette as a space medical device.

Time for some space drugs!

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've added spoiler marks to your post, but you've basically just revealed to me that Drummer survives this season something I both didn't previously know and don't appreciate now knowing.

I think you're misreading what they're saying, us book readers have no idea where Drummer's story is going because her character in the show is very different than the one in the books in many very major ways and has incorporated elements of multiple different book characters, so nobody knows how her story's going to turn out.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Diogo was a prick, not a monster or a "bad guy" he was just on the side against our protagonists, and got merc'd cause he was a cocky teenager with an invincibility complex - hell even Ashford was giving him the business about discipline and the inventory before poo poo went off the rails.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

If you choose anything other than an OPA cell you get the wall airlock, sorry

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

TBF I'd probably have died on Ganymede if I were a belter.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Based on the audio logs of Apollo, their turds often ended up a little too free.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Do a front flip through space while popping out a pringle sleeve of dook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

It's a drat shame that they've never released any of the Belter covers of modern songs.