Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the show has 3 non euro women as lead characters. I wouldn't sweat the loss of one character who disappears almost immediately.

https://twitter.com/Mi55Tipper/status/968563413206126592

edit: thinking back to the post I made where I said that Frankie Adams wasn't large enough. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
might be a good idea. there's one little twist that we're probably going to see this season that I'm really looking forward to, wanna see the thread's reaction and it would be a shame if it were spoiled.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
yeah, the Martians killed him and Diogo was thereby radicalized and became an OPA militant.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
they smuggled her armor onto the ship she and Avasarala were on and she used it to beat up JP Mao's goons.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
yeah, the armor has to be compact enough that it can be used in ship to ship actions. I seem to remember a larger armor suit from the book (which gets owned by protoman) but it's not in the show, for budget reasons I suppose.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
China runs the world!

but there are no Chinese people around for some reason mumble mumble.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
farthest out settlement is at Titania, Uranus.

https://twitter.com/ExpanseSYFY/status/977319086932746242

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Thom12255 posted:

Is there an article somewhere which explains how they manage to do all the zero-g scenes?

I don't have an in depth explanation but you can see some of it in this video, lots of wirework and cg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm09qi0vGcc&t=98s

that ep 1 scene with Julie Mao, they had her with her hair covered up and replaced with cg hair later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3zQyV6HzIE&t=67s

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 31, 2018

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
if you really just want the Dead Space style proto molecule stuff, that's never going to show up, so keep that in mind.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I just know Drummer is going to be a much bigger part of the show because she's been showing up at all the season 3 public events that the cast have been attending.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I read the season 3 and 4 filmed together thing somewhere but recently I've seen talk from people working on the show which seemed to contradict that... so I dunno.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
yeah, unmanned drone swarms are more useful than manned star wars style fighter ships. easier to throw a hundred unmanned potentially dangerous drones at them than same number of manned vessels containing people who have to be trained.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Collateral posted:

There is a space manoeuvre in the Startide Rising, where the dolphins dump a load of water in their wake for a flotilla of chasing galactic fanatics to run into at near c.

I really enjoyed 5 of the uplift books, The Uplift War is as good an example of Planetary Romance that you will find. Brightness Reef (is it just the first half?) is as bad as TUW is good but it is worth slogging through as the two after that are A grade for multiple :ohdear: galaxy spanning grand space opera. I must dig out my copies for a reread...

Phoneposting.

I wish he'd write another one of those. lots of stuff hinted at in the later books that never got resolved.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I just want her to read me a bedtime story.

https://twitter.com/AndrewRotilio/status/991823108486000640

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Snowman Crossing posted:

Every time I look at the episode list and see the final episode of the season "It reaches out" I get super geeked because I know what's coming and I'm excited to see how it translates to the screen.

me too. but that's like the midpoint of the season unless they've changed something.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
probably soy. textured vegetable protein, yum yum.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Gamera crush Tokyo to dust!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
lol

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
fuuuuuuuuck yooooooou.

netflix better pick this up.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

zeal posted:

i'd watch a multi-season show about miller space copping on Ceres

take a drink every time someone gets thrown out an airlock.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Elentor posted:

Is there a good place in the books to pick up from where we're leaving?

we still don't know for sure where they will stop. the last episode is named after the third book though. and the fourth book, to honest, I kind of doubt they would have really covered it in depth at all.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
yeah, there are a lot of distinctive groups which comprise the OPA and they don't necessarily all get along or agree about politics. the show sort of glosses over that fact. the main thing uniting them is that they all think the Inners treat Belters like poo poo.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I could see Bezos casting himself in it, but the guy he'd play hasn't made an appearance yet.

perfect I.S.H.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
5 hours. lol

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

withak posted:

I would buy one of those MCRN coffee mugs.

the brand/model is called "Emsa City Cup." you used to be able to get them on amazon but they're only selling silver cups now. I got a blue one, team UN.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
you can apply a decal/stencil yourself.

or you can pay a huge markup and have some etsy person do it for you.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/566737...HMaAlVGEALw_wcB

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
toot toot

https://twitter.com/airadsworldwide/status/996474285689524224

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
same. no cable. fakk yu syfy.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

Speaking with that accent is lower class. Miller thinks he's better than he is and speaks with an educated accent, like an Earther. Miller speaks like a Belter now and then when trying to build rapport. Prax does it once too in the show.

"STAY AWAY FROM TE OWKWA!"

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
tfw your show gets renewed because a billionaire personally likes it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

AwkwardKnob posted:

Can we just talk about that giant gently caress-off squid ship thing that emerged from Venus instead of the renewal deal? Just for a minute?

Because whoa.

you ain't seen nuthin yet pal.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Baronjutter posted:

I'm not one to give much of a poo poo about spoilers, but a huge surprise is ruined here.

yeah, don't watch it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I'm almost certain we'll get some Amos flashbacks at some point.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
:stoked:

thanks I.S.H.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
they 3d print their clothes.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

TimWinter posted:

why would Julie Mao tele-incept Miller? Didn't she not know him at all, and he was just some cop on Ceres who was tangentially related to her? Even if the protomolecule has some ulterior, not-just-eat-everything motive, why would it give a poo poo about a corrupt cop on a backwater asteroid?

I always assumed that was just a case of a PI becoming obsessed with the person he was investigating. seeing someone who isn't really there because he was spending all his time thinking about her.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
"blind" guy has the visual part of his brain hooked up to his camera drones, like Jared Leto in Blade Runner. he isn't disabled, he's post-human.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Baronjutter posted:

Elias Toufexis is a Canadian actor.
He is most recognized for his voice-acting in the Deus Ex video game series.
The actor is a friend of Cas Anvar and he recommended to do motion capture when the need arose. It was an easy sell keeping Elias "in the family" since he had motion capture experience and he performed the earlier role of Kenzo, the spy for Davila Aerospatiale

Holy poo poo he actually didn't ask for this, and I'm glad he's still connected to the show.

https://twitter.com/ExpanseVFX/status/996930466174267393

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

Bobbie is not in this book, but she was with the fleet in the last episode so presumably they're rolling her into the story somehow because it works better for TV. Avasarala also is not in the third book but again, I'm sure they'll fit her in somehow.

yeah, the books have long stretches where some characters don't show up at all, but since characters like Bobbie and Ava are such fan favorites, I can't imagine that they will leave them out for too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

BlackJosh posted:

Miller's brain?

yeah, it picked his brain apart at a molecular level, it knows everything he knew.