Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
How the gently caress did you not mention 2nd best accent holder in the show Drummer (1st being Krisjen)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It's on the Wall of Welwallas. :colbert:

I'd imagine Miller's reputation rehabilitated now. Particularly with Diogo (presumably) sharing his story.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

There are still things about the character dynamics that bug me a lot about this show. Holden is a total rear end in a top hat for seemingly no reason other than to create drama and just comes off as unsympathetic. In general it feels like there's a lot of unnecessary backstabbing going around that could be solved by just talking to one another, which strikes me as a writing problem rather than something that adds to the characters.

As an example, the whole dilemma of whether or not to save the Razorback. It immediately struck me how much more satisfying it would've been to actually show the scene where Prax says they should help them rather than cut away after Holden says "gently caress no", and then have the whole situation be resolved when we see them 5 minutes later where they to spend time recapping what happened off-camera. Also the whole time I just wanted Alex to say "we can do both, you idiot".

It's ultimately not that big a deal, but it keeps the show from being as great as it could be, I think.

Just so it's not an empty-quote: Dear god I hope Holden dies. He was a decent character once, but now it's dragging the show way down. Side bonus that it would satisfy all those people who want this to be even more like Game of Thrones re: plot armor.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Compared to a lot of shows the Expanse isn't that expensive to make. It looks expensive, but compared to even something like American Gods is relatively cheap.

I'm not gonna disagree with you, but a Fuller show maaaay not be the best example to compare it to...

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Totally unrelated to recent thread topics, a while back some people were asking for clarification on the incidents that set the plot into motion, back with phoebe station and Julie Mao and all that jazz. I've recently started a re-watch, and I'm now at episode 9, and I'm reminded that this starts with a 10 minute re-cap from Julie's perspective. Anyone who'd like a refresher should watch that.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Monglo posted:

I'm tired of characters in fiction that are similar to Ashford becoming antagonists because they feel they are good men making hard choices. I hope Ashford goes a different path. He has been presented as more or less a good person who wants good for his people. It's be cool that when the inevitable conflict with him arises, he makes the "right" choice.

This is basically exactly what passed through my mind every time Ashford was on screen. I don't like this post-GoT philosophy in prestige TV that no good/ok status quo can survive for longer than 2 minutes. I get that some conflict is necessary for good story-telling, but we were in a situation where an intriguing plot device was already present: the loving ring that nobody understands. People could be calming down, maybe even working together for once.

Nope. OPA power struggle has to happen, UN ship has to be blown up, Martian ship must be hunting down the Roci, which is now entirely cornered. It'd be cool if Ashford was a good guy, as the one Nice Thing allowed to happen.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

John Wilkes Booth posted:

I was watching the movie Source Code the other day and noticed a couple of Expanse actors were in it. Cas Anvar (Alex) played the hapless businessman that Jake Gyllenhaal beats up.

And the belter protestor from season 1 is in the film too:

I mentioned it once in S2 thread, this is the one mention in S3: there's this older really hard sci-fi series called ReGenesis that involves a lot of actors from this show (who seem to almost all be Martians for some reason). You've got Martian diplomat that got played by Krisjen in S1, you've got Donnager 2nd in command (main role), you've got Bobbie's superior officer until he died at Ganymede, you've got Bobbie'r "chaplain" who she beat the crap out of on Earth (main role). Oh and also UNN science officer reporting to Errinwright from Arboghast. Some others too I'm sure...

Dancer
May 23, 2011
The point of the lawsuit is they have to give the ship back. If they lose the lawsuit and refuse to leave the ship, then there are suddenly a lot of ports where they're no longer welcome.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

bloom posted:

Miniguns aren't really a weapon for carefully measured responses. It's kinda impressive they all let out just 5 shots.

Also:

What the martians have is more than just a silly spammy mini-gun. When assaulting the station on Io, Bobbie identified 4 targets, and fired a tiny 2/3 bullet burst in each of them in quick succession. It's a perfectly reasonable and flexible weapon in the hands of a reasonable person (so... yeah, not necessarily a marine).

Unrelated, the legal status of the Rocinante does actually still bug me slightly. Krisjen knows by now what god-damned heroes Holden and crew have been, and how hard could it have been to add a little rider in some negotiations with Mars that says "Oh btw, Holden gets to keep his boat"?

Dancer
May 23, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Well I think we at least have two certainties here. 1: We get more seasons. 2: Alcon doesn't have to self-censor anything because the show won't end up on broadcast television anymore, which means they could write the Avasarala everyone wants.

At this point I'll settle with any Avasarala at all :(.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I mean, any other issues notwithstanding, I imagine Earther dick is best dick. Kinda like whiskey.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Well, depends how granular we go. Every non-Bobbie Martian marine is, in fact, the worst.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Svaha posted:

People keep saying this. There have been some non sucking Martians:

Avarserala's Martian ambassador buddy who she betrayed
The captain of the Donnager did the right thing in the end.
Bobbies commander at the start of season 2 was a pretty level headed dude
Samuel Epstein was a very sympathetic character
The Admiral of the Martian fleet during the Io incident had her head screwed on right
Alex's son

The problem is that the majority of Martians we meet in the show are soldiers, and being inflexible assholes is sort of an occupational hazard among the military. Apparently, next season will be showing us more of Mars, so here's hoping that gets rectified somewhat.

I mean, that is specifically why I said marines :v: .

Yeah, both Donnager commanding officers were great (and the one you didn't mention was arguably "better"). And the Fleet Admiral was indeed also great.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

[*]The Captain of that Martian ship at Io went very much against the grain. Probably exiled from Mars after the battle...

I mean, that person basically single-handedly declared a truce, that apparently all other Martian ships respected. I'd say she was probably an admiral.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Phi230 posted:

I really like these takes because it really shows what kind of people you are

"Diogo was radicalized by an extremist"

Never mind he was the subject of intentional poverty or literal violence

The status quo the belt is subjected to apparently isn't extreme

Also lol at the comparison between alt righters and Diogo. The key difference is that Diogo is part of an oppressed minority and the alt right isn't. ISIS and the alt right are fighting for superiority, not equality.

No wonder belters resort to armed struggle if inners have your attitude - using violence to oppress a group then gaslight them as the bad guys

God forbid you ever fight back against a person with a boot on your neck but I guess comfort is more important than justice to some people

Yes, poor Diogo, victim of the institutional violence symbolized by... Drummer and Naomi and Holden.

The context in which we're discussing is 99% belter. If this was and inner v. belter conflict, your points here would be relevant. Given his history, it is indeed no wonder DIogo resorted to violence, but his violence at this point isn't directed at those with the boot on his neck. Within the context of belters, calling Diogo alt-right isn't that crazy.

Also there's the loving smug glee with which he does it. "Yeah, look at me, I'm a big boy Lt. in a uniform"

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Phi230 posted:

so like they point out in the show that it would take 7 months to get from the center of the dandelion sky to the ring at its edge

The 7 month period was with a massively decreased speed limit. With the "normal" limit it's something like a few days.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

Not all science fiction is about realism, nor should it be. That's not "lazy writing", it's prioritizing different things to best serve what the work in question is going for.

The Expanse emphasizes realism in the way it does because it's about extrapolating current politics and economics into the future, and showing how concepts like colonialism and capitalism interact with technology and the realities of space travel. It still cheats like hell to do so, with magic technology like the Epstein drive and stealth technology and spinning up asteroids not being particularly realistic, but necessary for the story it's telling.

What's the problem with the asteroids? Would they break apart?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Unrelated, have we seen the PM in the Sol system do anything since the ring left Venus? We have a hunch that the glob of PM on the Roci is intentionally inert to maintain the Miller line of communication, but it's possible that with "the work" complete, the PM doesn't have a reason to keep expanding and multiplying. Maybe we can have one nice thing in this world.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
A complex system that is programmed to achieve certain goals can very well act and follow logic similar to humans. We're all aware that we're anthropomorphising the pm by discussing it this way, but we're doing it because otherwise it would cost us many more words and we're trying to be brief.

As for the "separate entities" bit... are you actually sure about that? I am fairly certain I remember multiple bits of protomolecule, separated by a very long distance (light-seconds, if not minutes) doing things at the exact same time, allowing characters to deduce... something.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Wait, I did misread something you said ring station, not ring.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
So there won't be new expanse for a while, let's do that fun thing where we reminisce about our favourite scenes.

S3 had a bunch of cool poo poo, but it was severely lacking Krisjen in the latter half, and I always come back to this one. Avasarala4lyf <3 .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU5w0dieQzo

Dancer
May 23, 2011
The Expanse board game (which is surprisingly good, given that it's based on a franchise like this) is from a Wizkids, a fairly small fish in the board games world.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Barreft posted:

Probably posted pages ago but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPad4m3Lq78

e: 34 mins in is fun

Of all the actors out of character, seeing Diogo must be the weirdest. After watching him in the show it's almost hard viewing him as not a childish simpleton.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Groetgaffel posted:

Me too, in all of the right ways. :heysexy:

I've not read the books yet, so I could be wrong, but I got the feeling that Micky is just shorthand slang, like you'd use "brits" instead of "the British". Duster would be the derogatory term.

I get that this might label me at "bad at watching TV", but my impression was exactly the other way around. I thought I heard Martians (Marines even) referring to each other as Dusters. Mickies I remember exclusively used by people currently in conflict with Martians.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Lol ProtoGen threw 75% of their fleet down the drain to blow up the Donnager.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Normy posted:

Does Naomi have a thing about carrying guns?

She has a thing about not killing people.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
The numbers are generally a bit inflated. Like, let's say we get Earth's pop to 30 billion without total and utter collapse, Mars' is supposedly 9 billion, and that's just lol.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
That ship that jettisoned all Inners called Ganymede natives "belters", so I guess anything outside the belt counts too.

And it's also nominally called the "outer planets alliance". This should logically include the... outer planets :v: .

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Is that thing from Homeworld?

Dancer
May 23, 2011

CainsDescendant posted:

Cool well glad we got our opinions of Joss Whedon sorted. What do you guys think about anime

Sorry, I'm not really into pokemon

Dancer
May 23, 2011

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

But yeah the whole show get's better and better with each episode pretty much.

I'm going to disagree with this person, I found latter S1 not that great, for reasons I which would involve spoilers to bring up.

But! I do agree that the show is generally on an upward trend, and S3 was best season. Press on, noble soldier (and please keep poasting)!

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I'm disappointed that you keep mentioning so many things and people, but not Her Royal Highness and also my bff Chrisjen.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
He already has, I cheered when he got smashed by an elevator :v: .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

clown shoes posted:

I'm free right now.