Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Baronjutter posted:

We;re watching through battle star galactica against my will and I got super excited when I saw Prax.

That guy also had a major reocurring role in Continuum, he's a staple of SF TV filmed in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Who could get sick of Roger Cross.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Combat Pretzel posted:

You should be religiously hawking upcoming episode information over on iMDB some more.

I haven't been able to find anything about this, link?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Combat Pretzel posted:

Heh, at least one looked.

Was a joke. While I like the guy, I'd rather not see him in this show. His distinct voice and manner of speaking quickly evokes expectations to tone of a show. Then again, the character of Prax went better than expected, because Terry Chen does kinda the same for me, too.

Ha, well, you got me. Frankly I figure it's only a matter of time; cast to type he'll make a great protomolecule fancier at some point...

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I just thought it was blue because that's just what Cerenkov radiation really looks like, and it doesn't matter whether it's given off by reactors or revenants.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

double nine posted:

so what you're saying is that human-carrying rockets to mars will be akin to a submarine ... submerged in a swimming pool?

More like you have a room with a double metal wall with water piped in between. You wouldn't need it all the time, it's literally a solar storm shelter sort of deal.

Alehkhs posted:

I was expecting someone would post a video. I'm more a fan of the abrupt 0-to-blue ones though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb9i-toCcwg

hot

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I know there's a limit to the budget, but that quarry makes me feel a little dread and what a no-budget Expanse could become.

Look like Killjoys, I'm guessing.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
It's been a while since I've read the early books and short stories, but IIRC Protogen is specifically shown to have a corporate culture that strongly encourages voluntary elective neurosurgical procedures for key employees in order to improve their decisionmaking and maintain cross-functional team alignment on core organizational objectives.

You have to start taking the corporate Prozac because if you don't you might end up on basic again, and it does make all the bullshit in your life easier to deal with. The corporate Prozac makes you a sociopath, but you don't care, because now you're a sociopath.

It was true of all the scientists assigned to work on the protomolecule; stands to reason it applies to the security/PMC types as well.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
When I think of Belter apartments, I think Fifth Element. What is Lang Belta for "meat popsicle"?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Captain Splendid posted:

I see Lopez has been typecast as a Martian

Ad Astra

Cool! I was hoping he'd turn up in something else, he's good at being earnest and unsettling.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Azhais posted:

Only new person on the poster is Burn Gorman who has never been on B99 to my knowledge

I hope somebody lets him play a nice person someday.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Azhais posted:

There's always Pacific Rim

A nice person who isn't constantly miserable and crotchety

I will thank Torchwood for introducing me to math rock at least?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Dreylad posted:

hey cool I'm an idiot, I thought "camina" was some kind of belter slang for a younger woman or something not literally drummer's first name.

It was the super patronizing way he kept saying her name. It took me a while to figure that out too.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
This is why my dance party space station shall be known as the Center of Bass

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

TMMadman posted:

You should have gone with Base of Bass

Nah, that would be Space Nazis.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/rm35nr/ace-of-bases-secret-nazi-past

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

OB_Juan posted:

Wrong show, but you could call it a Bass Star

oh poo poo, that kinda wins

oontz oontz oontz BY YOUR COMMAND wubwubwub

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
youtube reactors are what we get instead of epstein drive

gently caress

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Rocksicles posted:

annoying as some of them are, they get a lot of views between them.

just wait til one of them shoots the Ring

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

The Expanse, Season 4: Little Hab on the Prairie

Home on the Lagrange

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

showbiz_liz posted:

Exactly. The history of humanity isn't mostly "look at these vast unclaimed riches... better distribute them equitably instead of free-for-all grabbing whatever I can possibly hold onto!" This ain't Star Trek.

And even Trek had the Ma'quis being forcibly resettled, admittedly because of Cardassian imperialism, but the Federation was hardly without blame in all that.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Baronjutter posted:

Federation: We strongly recommend not settling these planets, they're in a potentially disputed frontier region with a hostile power. Also we're a post scarcity utopia if you want to larp as frontier homesteaders we can set you up with a safer place to settle that won't have political implications in the future.

MAQUIS: gently caress you dad, we'll settle where we want but you better keep supporting us.

Cardassia: Hey cool we're also settling this area too and our colonies are a total intermixed jumbled mess.

*federation and cardassia go to war for some reason*

Federation: Ok settler-colonial larpers, to end this war we need reasonable borders and we've come up with a plan to minimize the border-gore but some people are going to have to move. Luckily this is a post-scarcity utopia so your material conditions will not be effected, in fact you can have more resources for your new colonies.

MAQUIS: These planets are SACRED CLAY, blood and soil, we will never move, we're independent, but also still demand military protection from the federation even if it means millions dying from war to protect our colonial interests. If you do not go to war and conquer the region to protect us we're going to renounce our federation citizenship!!!

Federation: Oh god please just move, any planet, take your pick, we'll give you industrial replicators, you can build the colony of your dreams, but we kinda warned you about these planets.

MAQUIS: No, now we're larping as freedom fighting anarchist rebels now despite literally nothing but our pride being at stake.

Federation: Fine, you're on your own, don't say we didn't warn you (again)

*dominion genocides all federation colonists in the region*

haha gently caress well yeah fair enough, I'm mostly thinking of Sisko nuking entire ecosystems to prove a point tbh

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

You like to do this alot in a sci fi tv show thread. Can you stop it? You don't need to signal over Star Trek lol

I hate to break it to you but science fiction is highly loving political, as is this show.

Tossing around the idea of genocide so casually normalizes it. You might not think it matters, but it adds up subconsciously over time, and changes how we think and respond to world events as individuals and, indeed as voters.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

The Clowner posted:

The cool thing about this show is that the characters are good and consistent and when they change their attitude/behavior/beliefs it's for a very legitimate reason, which I can't say for ~some~ shows and movies

*thousands of Hollywood execs' sneeze at once*

I wonder what James S. A. Corey collectively make of the Game of Thrones series, and what they would have done different. There's a pretty big connection there after all...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

GRRM gave them their start and the three are really good friends. IIRC, Ty used to be GRRM's editor, or the other way around...something like that.

Anywho, I believe they'd said before that they see the show as a chance to fix some things and that certain things that work in books don't translate to television, so that requires some finesse as well.

I refer more to the Dickbutte Picasso of Benioff and Weiss, not JSAC on GRRM.