Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Eiba posted:

I'm not happy to see this level of drama on the Rocinante again. It makes sense given the plot and characters and honestly doesn't seem that forced given the situation they were all in... but it's just not as fun to watch as people getting along, with the intra-crew conflict being friendly (or even heated) sniping about what approach to take. Bobbie/Avasarala/Cotyar/Bulkhead boy were a more fun crew to spend time with this episode.

Same.

I liked that they didn't shorten the burn time for the missiles, and allowed space combat to be too far away to see both ships at once. (Unlike the scene over Ganymede--although arguably what we were seeing there was a tactical display somewhere and not to size or time scale)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

RIP This Dead Gay Show.

Frankie Adams is a loving treasure though.

It is now a national scriptwriting emergency to produce a good role for a giant Samoan boxer lady.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

AwkwardKnob posted:

Squid ship did basically look like Eros with tentacles grafted onto it. I thought it was cool how the protosoldier stopped coming after the Marine when "The Work" was finished and kind of looked up into the sky.

Did everyone die when the exploration ship was taken apart into a million pieces or are they stashed somewhere? I can't remember, but that would be kind of sad.

It's possible their dead-rear end bodies are being dissolved/crushed on Venus, but the protomolecule doesn't strike me as the sort to waste valuable raw material like that.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

crazysim posted:

It really, really stretches the belief that a ship, something that requires constant maintenance all over the place no matter what medium it traverses like water or the vacuum of space, has not discovered the protomolecule infestation in the few months. Even stuff that's neglected, someone needs to at least look at it.

Oh, let me tell you a story.

A guided missile destroyer, USS Barney, was in drydock for a major overhaul. There's a strange interplay between shipyard workers and ship crews--to complicated to detail, but I'll just say they're very separate worlds--and in the varying semi-autonomous shops of the yard.
In Barney's engine room, there's a large water filter-y device called an ion exchanger. It's basically a big can filled with resin beads. One of the things being done in the ship's overhaul was changing those beads out for a fresh set. So, Step One, dump out all the old resin. Unfortunately, Step One happened at the end of a shift, so the shop workers left, with a wet pile of crap the consistency of couscous, two feet high and six across, lying in the bilges of the engine room. The next shipyard shift came on, and another shop has the job of painting the engineroom. So they come through with sprayguns, see the big pile of crap on the deck, and give precisely zero fucks. Slather right over that mound of beads for two coats of red lead paint.
The next day, the machinery shop comes back, gives another total of zero fucks about the mysterious tumor grown in the bottom of the engine room under their work space, and finishes the ion exchanger job. Dozens of shipyard workers and Barney's engineering crew go about their business.
USS Barney gets its overhaul signed off and leaves the yard. Over the next few years, sailors keep painting over the mound, walling it off with more layers of paint.

And that's how likely it is that a little speck of of goo wedged under deckplates in a reactor compartment not normally manned is still there six months later.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I forgot about all the different crews that don't communicate with each other, and layers of bureaucracy, on the Rocci.

Roci has half the crew she's supposed to.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Penguin in a parka
I know, I know
it's really serious

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

I guess I ought to watch that movie at some point eh

If that scene in Apollo 13 where the dudes in Houston dump out a bunch of parts onto a table and say "We've got to connect this to this, using only these," was your favorite part of the movie, then The Martian is definitely a must-see.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Clarissa flew into the side of the Roci holding a breaching charge. How Anna got in I don't know.

It wasn't a breaching charge, it was an inflatable emergency airlock. There was an establishing scene to show those were a thing that exists.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The Expanse, Season 4: Not Cool, Burn Gorman!

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yikes, the German dub is loving atrocious. I'm switching back and forth on S1E5 for giggles. They all sound like overly stressed even when they're not, Miller sounds like a weasel instead of a jaded rear end, Alex like a blow-hard, and so on. Then there's little things, like when Amos' leg gets realigned. Instead of the scream fading into a laughter, it goes into some whimpering. Like what.

--edit: Jesus, the Anubis thing was turned into Miller not sure whether it's pronounced the German or English way.
--edit: And there's nearly no Belter creole. I'm surprised they didn't go with Bavarian or some poo poo.

I'm surprised that Alex didn't wind up Bavarian.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Someone's live-reacting to The Expanse? <sets thread to Best Thread>

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

now that you've finished season one you can watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivej0OW7WZk

I must protest that Avasarala is not portrayed by a Persian.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

They could also make improvised centrifuges. Take two stretchers, tie them together, twirl them around. Do something besides "these people are already dead, nothing we can do."

In a triage situation, that might not be as easy a decision as that.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The story was always intended to span the gap between "humanity has rockets and has colonized the Solar System" near-future settings and "humanity has several galaxy-spanning cultures" far-future settings. Because somehow, no one talks about that part except in brief exposition.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Chalks posted:

I think the idea is that it would have built the gate and the race that built it would have colonised our solar system for themselves. What it probably wouldn't have done is given a poo poo about what happened to its creators, or made the investigator, if it wasn't for the sentience it picked up. While trying to build the gate, it picked up the tools to achieve much more and has enough awareness to realise that it needs to expand beyond its original design.

It's a pretty cool rogue AI concept, rather than the standard "kill everyone" thing that tends to happen when all powerful AIs accidentally become concious in most sci-fi settings.

TBF it's still "kill everything," but because it wants to turn us into infrastructure than because it irrationally hates life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Zartosht posted:

I'm the random Mass Effect and Blade Runner merch mixed in.

edit:

Nevermind, I'm actually whatever this is.

I'm the word "the" applied before a ship name, like a barbarian might use: