Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NowonSA posted:

I don't really get liking one show and not the other, but that may just be that I can't picture not liking either one of these fine television programs.
These two are the only scifi things my wife can stand. I keep trying to force her to watch Star Trek with me because I'm a psychopathic nerd, but The Expanse + Firefly she actually kind of gets.

All Firefly hatred I've seen is dumb, it was a funny show with fantastic characters and cast and great style. It's a great complimentary companion piece to The Expanse, in a similar niche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mu Zeta posted:

I found the wisecracking unbearable and at least half the episodes are just bad or mediocre. It's a good track record considering most first seasons of scifi shows are terrible, but I don't understand how it built a huge fandom. It was all based on the huge potential IMO.
I'm not gonna try and convince you to like it, if it's not your thing, then it's not your thing. What I mean is the attempts to convince people it's Objectively Bad and Problematic because something Whedon something Nerds something.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blind Rasputin posted:

Was this show given just truckloads of cash for their effects budget? Because that first scene of all those ships above planets, especially the Martian atmosphere’s refraction. So good.
I hated it. The Expanse‘s realness comes from things being confusing and having HARD SCI-FI NO SOUND IN SPACE tattooed on its forehead. This one looked like Star Wars, and not the „everything is rusty“ parts

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Would have been a better metaphor for Holden's constant, impotent rage
against the machine

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Get through episode 4
Yeah that was it for me. I started watching this show twice on recommendations by really good friends I usually trust, but it never worked. But then one day, a third attempt, I just let it run through 4 episodes, not really paying attention while, I forgot, cleaning up my room, and there's a long scene in episode 4 that made me hit pause halfway through, rewatch it immediately while paying attention this time, and then I binged all of it starting on that day.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Repost from a few pages back

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Chrisjen Cursing is not only the best part of this show, but the best part of my life.

Blind Rasputin posted:

I dunno man, people forget. In college I worked for a hotline that would call up parents of missing kids and just remind them that their kid was still missing. Sometimes it had been years and I’d just have to say, “ma’am this is Jeff I’m calling on behalf of remembering missing kids organization and I’d like to remind you that your kid is still missing.”
I don't get it. Why would anyone do that? Why remind the parents of the tragedy?

Do they have to do trigger warnings now?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In some sense it speaks well of this series that I'm annoyed by the fact they don't have AI controlling all combat manoeuvres: it means many of the dumber things scifi tropes are avoided.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NTRabbit posted:

I too am annoyed that we didn't get to see the Secretary, Undersecretary, and the defense staff jawing about the sportsball results for 30 minutes while the railgun shells reached their targets, and another 30 minutes while the missile made the return flight. How dare the writers compress time from the perspective of the viewer for dramatic effect. After they refused to hire all of the active centres in the NBA and WNBA to play the parts of belters, this is the last straw.
Don't be silly. That could have been played quite well.

The very idea is fascinating: "We know that in 30 minutes, a lot of our people will be dead. We can go for evacuation now, that means many of the dead will be trampled to death by their own relatives and everyone will die in panic and have plenty of time to get on Future Youtube and make accusatory videos about it just before they inevitably die, or we can just sit here and gulp and they will all burn up in a fraction of a second."

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

logikv9 posted:

it still blows my mind the destructive capacity Mars had over Earth with those platforms
The general idea is anything at the wrong end of a gravity well is in permanent danger of falling rocks. The nukes may be there in part to be more selective, not more destructive ...

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

drewhead posted:

Both of those things are traveling towards you at the speed of C form the source which for practical intents is the same location as the round . So yea, technically I concede the point. Whatever fraction less than C that the round is actually traveling would be some delta difference of warning right?. I just took their description of being indistinguishable at face value. If one can't distinguish between those two speeds then can one really perceive between flash and boom?
I'm fairly sure the books or the series never claim railgun shots are at a speed indistinguishable from C.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Taintrunner posted:

Apparently there is a huge controversy on tumblr/Twitter where everyone is mad at the white writers for making everyone mad at Naomi and the actress had to go on Twitter and say she pushed to make everyone’s reaction harsher considering she gave a WMD to anarchists. Which is really weird since this is like the most diverse show on television, and probably the most diverse science fiction show of all time. Bleh.

Elias_Maluco posted:

lol

The Expanse really is very sensible and diverse , but people will always find something to be mad about
Isn't the dynamic rather: exactly because a show is diverse, i.e., trying to appeal to the demographics that care for diversity, it is particularly vulnerable to attacks from that front?

Which is why Trump is not harmed by having a cabinet of old white dudes, but Clinton would be grilled harshly for not having enough black appointees, regardless of how many it were.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

counterfeitsaint posted:

The tumblr/Twitter loving love making GBS threads on diverse shows for some reason. Hell, just look at the first few pages of this thread for the same garbage.
I think I proposed a good explanation for that upthread: if you try for a diverse show, you signal you are open to demands from the demo that criticizes you for lack of diversity. Duck dynasty will never have that problem, because their viewers don’t care about that criticism and people who do are not watching duck dynasty.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Revolutionary War was also rather low on the "active disdain for the individuals making up the other side" part right? Everyone understood it was mostly about political and economic stuff, not that the other side was subhuman scum worthy of extermination, or the culmination of a centuries-long hatred between two groups.

And this is not about a restricted war, it's about weapons of mass destruction that inherently cannot be scaled below a "genocide" setting.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kanine posted:

I mean I'm not surprised by this tho. The show/book is written for a primarily liberal american audience who would interpret anyone who says anything explicitly leftist (god forbid anarchist) as a irredeemably evil

Modedit: Spoilers

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 22, 2018

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

StashAugustine posted:

im trying to determine exactly how close to 1:1 the overlap is between opa sympathizers and cspam posters
I think just about everyone is an OPA sympathiser to some degree. But some also cheer on genocide on a hitherto unknown scale and other abhorrent things.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toast Museum posted:

Paper cup??? Look at Mr. Moneybags over here. Folks on Basic are using biodegradable, technically edible cups that start falling apart if you let them sit for too long.
I love how much of the comedic lifting here is done by the "technically": a clearly underrated word!

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Firefly was quite enjoyable, and very progressive and adult in many ways.

People wishing their fav tv show be renewed may be wasting their time, but are not actually bad.

I'm sad The Expanse was cancelled :(

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AlternateAccount posted:

Sometimes they are, tho
I'm sure there's some guy killed a puppy once and also wrote fan letters to get As The World Turns back on the air, sure.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Highway Star was a perfect choice for this, although I probably would have preferred the original.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Avasarala is going to be able to speak in season four the way she does in the books gently caress yeah. :allears:
On one hand, tens of thousands of warehouse workers treated like serfs. On the other hand, this.

:thunk:

I'll call it even, for now. Slight edge for Bezos, maybe.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dahbadu posted:

I honestly feel belter society/culture is pretty realistic given human nature and their situation. When you're at the bottom rung of the ladder that determines your value as a person based off of what you don't have (wealth), you have no control, no future, live in a state of constant anxiety/stress and you could die at any moment -- chances are you're not going to turn into an enlightened individual or paragon of humanity. You're going to be broken, dysfunctional and fighting over scraps.
This should be an obvious point - it is simply cultural determinism spelled out - but I never see it made explicitly.

Thus, Phi230 role playing a 17 year old who has read just read Zinn and maybe some Chomsky who is role playing a 17 year old space serf is excused because that's simply what breathing lithium-polluted air in the strontium mines does to your brains.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TimWinter posted:

Lol no you idiot

tooterfish posted:

get off your high horse you loving twatmonkey?
I too get super angry about spaceships

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The look on his face when he doesn't find the object is easily worth any money that's been put into manned space missions so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

sebmojo posted:

I think if you don't like it after the donnager escape it might not be for you
That one really did it for me.