Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I honestly don't get the sheer murder-fantasy hated some people have for Holden. Yes, he's annoying, but that's his character, and I think his actor is doing a really good job portraying someone whose parents might as well have named him after the Catcher in the Rye character, for all his irritating ideological and behavioral tendencies.

I mean, we pretty much wouldn't have the series without his character doing what he did, it'd just be following a crooked cop traveling to a dead end asteroid, where he died, then said asteroid flew into Earth, killing everyone on the planet, and Mars throws a party while the Belters realize they can't even play Mars off of Earth anymore, so they're just straight up slaves to the rusters now.

I think the show just hasn't progressed far enough for all fans to realize that every person in power thinks Holden is at best a naive do-gooder idiot, but the good news is that Chrisjen has just come aboard the ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't remember Mars proper ever showing up in the books except the novella about Bobbie and her family.

There's the part where (major book spoilers) Alex decided to use some time off to see his wife one last time, which he realizes was a bad idea after she basically calls him a loving rear end in a top hat. The description above as an endless series of malls or airports connected together pretty much squares with my memory of it - the only big thing was how empty they were, because a whole generation of martians is no longer staying home to terraform but rather seeking out other already-habitable worlds through the gates and the dream of Mars is dying.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol i saw an interview with frankie adams where she's like "Yeah they don't have any knowledge of Polynesians over there, they're like 'Woah who's this amazonian goddess?' and it's like, you do realize there are thousands of us in the south Pacific"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I mean, he's already sacrificed one real kid to ~The Project~ so someone else's shouldn't be a problem.

https://twitter.com/abrahamhanover/status/994389413579735042?s=21

Edit: HOLY poo poo HOLY poo poo :tviv:

oh jesus are we getting this plot now

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Svaha posted:

So no one has answered this yet. Does amazon have exclusive streaming rights rights in the US?

Like, can you guys go check if the show is available on google play and Itunes? If Amazon doesn't have exclusive streaming rights that changes things a lot.

you can buy this week's episode on both right now

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

MizPiz posted:

One thing I am concerned about them finding a new distributor are the potential influences they'll have on the show. It seemed like the show got away with more than what most other ones can, especially one with the sort of budget the Expanse has.

unless a major non-cable TV network picks them up - which seems unlikely - I can't imagine them ending up with more restrictions than syfy gave them

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

zeal posted:

one martian missile managed to kill 2 million people the last time those systems were put to the test

this is very nitpicky obviously but: those broke into dozens of smaller warheads seemingly specifically to defy planetary defenses, and a single warhead got through. I think fred's are basically traditional single explosion ones

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

No. I was shocked that he got shot though. The guy was standing in a loving airlock. The door even closed, but Amos was just on the wrong side of it. Who puts someone in an airlock to execute them and then doesn't vent their rear end? They specifically said they depressurized the shuttlebay on the other side earlier in the episode.

frankly given that he was experimenting on children, i assumed amos was going to drop the gun and beat the guy to death

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

man david strathairn is an extremely good choice for this role and i'm very excited to see the rest of this season

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

bloom posted:

I didn't get any gay panic vibes out of the creepy camera man. He comes on to Amos once as a way to further his agenda, and again in this episode to cover for his sabotage. Seems to me the scene would play out exactly the same if the character was a woman.

if anything one of the notable things about those two scenes was Amos' reactions - far from gay panic, more like strangely guarded. that actor does a lot of characterization with such small moments, considering he's the guy that does the most crazy poo poo regularly.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

logikv9 posted:

be happy that amos didn't go with plan B, sending back their corpses with the words "WE DIDNT DO IT" carved into the flesh

that was Plan A, instead amos decided to be good and give them space suits and everything

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phi230 posted:

Yippie kai yay mister falcon

I'll give you a flipper... and you give me my phone call.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Morphix posted:

I smoked some fine reefer and it got me thinking,

Don't blame weed for whatever this post is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Already the showrunners have said they need to be careful not over doing things now that there's no limits. Avasarala's swearing will not suddenly become overused to the point that the viewer is numb to it. There will not suddenly be gratuitous scenes of nudity and hard core sex scenes. The gore and violence will not become a live action Rick and Morty.

she needs to swear more in order to set up the various beats from the book where people outright say "Avasarala didn't even say gently caress once.. this must be serious"