Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I got an image from twitter you might wanna use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

rewatching season 1, what was Jules-Pierre Mao planning to do with the stealth ships? Before the protomolecule became his obsession. Was he planning to build a private space empire with his own military?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Hey, drummer's back!

Is there a human presence near saturn? Obviously it's mentioned that they found the protomolecule within saturn's gravity well, but are there settlements on Titan or Enceladus, or is that too distant for the expanse's interplanetary travel?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

would an object that has to endure many acceleration/deceleration burns and changes in momentum not have to be at least somewhat sturdy to not fall apart from stresses?

Maybe Holden's got internal power armor?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

if she ever actually meets anderson dawes whatever station they're on is not going to survive.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it has the advantage that now there is visual language that says that this ship is unique in its design, as a "more money than god" design should be.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

was/is it explained why the Razorback doesn't have/Avasarala doesn't get injected with juice for high-g manoeuvres?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

must have missed it. sorry

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it's a shame cgi modeling is expensive because I'd dig a show where the crew have to buy/steal a new ship each season because of increasingly violent finales.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

NowonSA posted:

I've made my peace with not seeing my precious space dogfights, but I really want to see a proper missile spam exchange with literally 100 missiles coming from each side, minimum.

you got half of one, with the nukes launched at Eros in season 2.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

has the nauvoo been accelerating away from tycho station this entire time? Because that might become unpleasant, especially for belters.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

NmareBfly posted:

Eros was moving, it was just doing a regular trajectory towards earth - the Nauvoo shot was intended as a crazy plan to deflect it away. Eros only threw inertia in the trash can when The Nauvoo got close. If Eros hadn't cheated the plan may well have worked.

I'm pretty sure they launched the Nauvoo towards Eros to purge the system from the protomolecule. It was only after the Nauvoo was on an intercept course that Eros decided to crash on Earth's couch. That's what the whole dialogue signals anyway:

quote:

Miller: Guys? What the hell just happened? The Nauvoo just missed! How the hell did it change course?
Amos:What the gently caress?
Holden: The Nauvoo didn't ... move. Eros did.

my point is: Eros orbits the sun, Miller et al want to punch the rock into the Sun before the protomolecule builts whatever or someone breaches containment, Eros GM-hacks its way out of the Nauvoo's path and sets course for Earth.

double nine fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 23, 2018

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

I think you guys are bad at reading: it was moving in the sense that every asteroid is moving, thats what he said. That also what I meant when I said it wanst moving (I forgot that literally everything in space is moving)

We are all agreeing that it was just when the nauvoo was about to hit it that it started moving in an unnatural way
Just so we're clear, I read the bolded below as meaning that according to NmareBfly, Eros was already on a collision path with Earth when the Nauvoo plan was executed, which was not what happened in the show. If I misunderstood NmareBfly, I apologise for the derail/circle argument.

NmareBfly posted:

Eros was moving, it was just doing a regular trajectory towards earth - the Nauvoo shot was intended as a crazy plan to deflect it away. Eros only threw inertia in the trash can when The Nauvoo got close. If Eros hadn't cheated the plan may well have worked.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So when Fred Johnson made his salvage request to Drummer, she immediately made the assumption that he/the OPA would convert the Nauvoo into a warship. What if they converted it into a station - a habitat with near-earth gravity and all the creature comforts that a rich organized religion could request, commandeered by the OPA. Wouldn't be a bad propaganda stunt, imo.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

in a cold/lukewarm-war the USSR mars certainly would interpret this a first strike and retaliate accordingly, Errinwright's one of those people who don't consider this possible, since he is on the side of Righteousnesstm

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm assuming that mars has IPBMs in surface silos like earth has, and ironically they might stay their hand because Buenos Aires was pulverized.

Or mars might not, we'll see next episode.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it's time to get ceres' (population) back to earth!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

but why have a doomsday weapon and not tell everyone about it?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Solkanar512 posted:

The look on Bobby's face was priceless.

she went through a bunch of different varieties of snickering as Avasarala tested her new dancing shoes and it was hilarious.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the evil scientist doctor also plays the sycophant evil commander in Killjoys, and he's just as sophisticated/posh & evil here. Guy's got a niche is what I'm saying.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wow the wiki says the moon's got a population of a cool billion.

pfft, lightweights.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so explain a little mars' whole "ocean" plan, because from what I remember mars doesn't have the atmospheric pressure nor the temperature to keep water. So is the idea to continually haul ice to offset the loss of water dissipating into space?

e: or would it be a "domed" ocean?

double nine fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 4, 2018

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

liberal, I'll grant but there's no version of neoliberalism that I know of that would approve of a concept like "basic".

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

*extremely third worldist voice* only because of the exploitation of the Belt

shut it Naomi.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the question is whether (this) belter food is horrendous or whether Naomi is a bad cook.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

well, that will hinge on the coming and inevitable power struggle between Dawes and Johnson, because Johnson I think has a limited conscience and Dawes is ruthless.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

drewhead posted:

It's the rapid succession of :
This is the Tachi
You're James Holden
That's a Recon Marine
That's the UN 3rd in command

that was really neat. Poor Martian sailor wouldn't of been surprised if the Easter Bunny stepped out next from behind the bulkhead.

i mean there is alien goo in the cargo hold, that'd give him a neat shock.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Highly technical Nauvoo diagram.

a bit confused about this system - surely in order to keep G-forces to a level where your crops and human organs don't poo poo the bed, while also ensuring the boat arrives within the lifespan of the station/ship, it would have to do long, continuous burns. How does this long period of forward thrust interact with the centrifugal force of the spinning habitat?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I don't know what the limitations are for railguns in this universe, but I'd say it has sufficient mass/open space to fill up that they should be able to turn it into a giant Novalith Cannon

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The lack of streaming income probably didn't help, and I assume the audience is pretty prone to torrenting or streaming.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

welp, time to order some books, I guess.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so book chat, is there a point after which the writing goes to poo poo, like certain other nerd series have done in the past, if so what book is a good stopping point?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Myron posted:

I'm getting my hopes up for nothing and it's not gonna come back, right?
:argh:

e: :argh: :argh:

I'm considering the show gone until further notice, it's much less painful that way. now excuse me while I :f5: this thread incessantly

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it's really weird to me how we're both at "maybe hail mary but this show can be saved, if we can get a deal with amazon" and "totally canceled, start destruction today". Is it that expensive to keep the sets around for another week?

I know time is money and opportunity costs rule the business but the contradiction is striking.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

nah, pessimism is "something is happening, it won't work."

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

this corporate fog of war obscuring what's happening is more frustrating than the cloud cover on Venus!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

he does have the ability to wallhack so that's nice

(prax closes the airlock behind him, close-up of his face with the closed door in the background, suddenly amos is there). I'm nitpicking, I know.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

The world as it is is basically cyberpunk actualized so it's not a huge stretch anyway

except in cyberpunk I'm a badass, able to exist outside the law. Why am I an office drone instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

is the surprise lasagna? I bet it's lasagna.