Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
SEASON 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
my name is ade.....nygaard

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ATP_Power posted:

I'm just worried that Diogo is going to take up the slingshot club life as a break from being an OPA rumbler.

diogo crush rear end to dust

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
spoiler: there are books

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

AirborneNinja posted:

I cannot wait for them to hit some of the later scenes to let Bobbi be the biggest baddass.

Yeah her Power Armor scene in S2 was a huge letdown

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't even remember a power armor scene. Are those space suits meant to be the power armor?

highlighting my point that the show has failed power armor

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Regenerating suits is something nobody else has. I think the Protogen suits look dumb as hell, and they shouldn't have made them regenerate for no reason in one scene

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The regenerating suit was a throwaway thing to signal that these guys were serious business and it doesn't mean anything

Protogen knows basically nothing about the PM and the PM doesn't have any practical applications, that's kind of the point of playing god with something you don't understand. They don't know what it does which is why they did Eros. The mad scientist only is able to make Protomolecule Monsters which can't be controlled anyway.

Stealth Ship plating is something Mars already has but was stolen by Protogen.

There is no PM "drive." The ship drives that the stealth ship used were made in secret by Bush Naval Yards at Earth and then stolen by Protogen, which is why their drive signature was unknown and unregistered. The PM is magic and made Eros move through magic, protogen didn't make "PM Propulsion"

Protogen had 0 control over the Eros situation and that was made extremely clear by the show. They just basically threw a virus in a petri dish to see what would happen.

Self-sealing suits is a technology that is common in the books, in the same way that self-sealing tires work in real life. But self-regenerating suits is not.

Regardless, the PM was always viewed as a bioweapon by Mao and Errinwright and only Dresden was dreaming of practical applications, but the supposed practical applications of the PM were still only dreams.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think the confusion is because they did a really bad job at explaining what stuff us and why its important, but not out of incompetence, but because they're really trying to extend the Protomolecule conspiracy/mystery as far as they can

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The season premiers today my dudes

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Eiba posted:

He did what now? What made you think he did that?

Oh I love the weird TVIV theories

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Haters leave

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Elias_Maluco posted:

I loved season 2 except for the fact it ended so abruptly, I always felt it was missing an episode or two

Last episode felt like the missing one from season 2 for me, and it would have been a much better season 2 finale:

- Sadavir consummates his betrayal by dennouncing Chrisjen to the president
- Chrisjen flees with Bobbie
- Roci crew decides on their new mission
- the war is declared

A perfect moment to end a season, imho

They did this in S2 as well. Juliemolecule and Miller in episode 5 was like S1 finale

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
For the record the crash couches on Razorback are standard on every ship in the books. I assume either budget or whatever us why they aren't in the show

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Slashrat posted:

Didn't Errinwright say that he had a martian ship coming in to pick up the protomonster from Ganymede destroyed? Was that the trigger for the space battle perhaps or am I misremembering and it referred to a ship that was lost elsewhere?

That was like after the Roci landed and 5 episodes after the battle

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Syzygy Stardust posted:

These are two different incidents several episodes apart.

TVIV in a nutshell

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
They better loving change the name back to Rocinante

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

I liked when they got there and just assumed they'd get to keep their ship as if they were some A-Team special forces whatever out to save the solar system. Not enough people say "You're just a bunch of lovely rock hoppers who lucked into a fancy ship." I feel like that's going to come up now that they don't have much in the way of weapons left anymore. They stole a cop car and now it's out of gas and they don't want to go back to normal.

legitimate salvage

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
In the books the Roci is basically backed by the OPA/is OPA muscle but in the show they injected a bunch of needless friction and drama between the Roci and Frohnson

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

NmareBfly posted:

Eros was moving, it was just doing a regular trajectory towards earth - the Nauvoo shot was intended as a crazy plan to deflect it away. Eros only threw inertia in the trash can when The Nauvoo got close. If Eros hadn't cheated the plan may well have worked.

No it was not moving and the plan to knock Eros into the sun wa s to destroy the PM. Then Eros moved

Bad at watching

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Please god Wednesday come so we have something else to post qbout

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

StashAugustine posted:

I'm from Buenos Aires, and I say kill em all!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ATP_Power posted:

There's a lot in the show especially that doesn't make sense if you look too closely at it from a hard sci-fi perspective. The notion that the missile platforms could be hidden, and once found, be "lost" if they move makes no sense, same for the Roci somehow being able to "lose" the tracking of the UN or Mars, and then be compromised (except to the person they're communicating with) if they took or sent a tightbeam transmission.

Stealth in space aside from some very niche cases doesn't exist, and the idea of railgun platforms on Earth being able to snipe the Martian platforms without any warning is also complete nonsense if you're being 100% grounded in reality.

That said, it'd be really boring TV to be completely realistic, so I'm fine with their bizzaro space world where things aren't perfectly accurate if it's generally consistent within its own rules.

Nobody uses optical telescopes to track ships because they fell out of popularity after Transponders were standard. Going dark is as easy as turning your transponder off and not receiving or sending any emissions

however if somebody knows where to look with ladar/optical then well you cant get around that

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 26, 2018

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Chard posted:

Yeah, it seemed to do a last-second shotgun blast, which is not something railguns are 'traditionally' supposed to do in this universe. They just check pieces of tungsten very, very Fast. I suppose we can chalk it up to Earth's most hoighty-toighty MIC weapons getting to stretch their legs

who says you can't make special warheads designed to be fired by railgun

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I just want them to wrap up book 2 poo poo already and move on to the good stuff

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

R-Type posted:

Don't forget, they lost Deimos last season, the bits of that coming down on colony domes isn't going to be a time of joy

Deimos' remains formed a feint ring, orbits don't work like that

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
30 billion people live on earth and they melted the ice caps.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Blackchamber posted:

Thanos was right.

Nah Malthus was a dumb bitch and so are people who buy into overpopulation rhetoric

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Episode 8 is called It Reaches Out

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Terraforming Mars is STILL stupid as gently caress, because it doesn't have a magnetic dynamo and any atmo you give it will just be blown off by the sun.

They created one, see the aurora in the intro

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Mars is fascist, Earth is neoliberal, belt is a soup of left thought

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

double nine posted:

liberal, I'll grant but there's no version of neoliberalism that I know of that would approve of a concept like "basic".

Its not perfect but I always viewed it as neoliberalism with basic out of necessity to prevent genocide or revolution

Like it's got the signifiers:

Ultra individualism

Primacy of corporation

Government as mere management

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

zeal posted:

i've never read the books, where is the martian economy supposed to lie on the free market - command economy spectrum

the only corporations i recall from the show seemed to be earth-based

Mars is kind of like a mixed economy but it's the duty of individuals and private enterprise to be subservient to the state and to work to strengthen the state

The entire society is mass mobilized for war and terraforming, if you don't fit in you're a useless eater

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Like wrt to Earth, merely having money is a signifier of privilege and ppl get shocked when you use money for stuff

I found that analogous to neoliberalism's social tendency for people to save money for it's own sake and not to use it for material needs/luxuries

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

He wasn't, because the Earth clearly produces enough resources for a decent standard of living, but the allocation of those resources are concentrated in the hands of the wealthy

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

They have before. When Miller poured a drink in the first season, he held the glass further out because the liquid wouldn't fall as fast.

wasn't that because of the coriolis effect though

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ersatz posted:

Yeah, violent revolution always works out for the best, and has never once gone horrifically wrong for everyone involved.

Yeah America sucks

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I'm helping

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
lol I love that every scene having blue lighting is causing crazy theories that the protomolecule is literally everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

pictured; Dr. Strickland with the protomolecule