Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Toast Museum posted:

I'd say Abraham and Franck are more consistent writers, I think. Their quality is steady, but I can't think offhand of any passage in The Expanse where the prose really stood out to me.

This is how I feel. They're workhorses; they're great at moving the plot from A to B and actually releasing books on time, but the prose is just serviceable and the dialogue is frustrating at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

NTRabbit posted:

I've shared my newly acquired Prime with him and it's just one monolithic account.

You can get separate profiles if you set up a Prime Household, but that might be more hassle than it's worth if you just want to share Prime Video with a friend.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

All I know about space elevators comes from cursory googling after I read KSR's Mars trilogy, but IIRC the main obstacle to building one right now is that there is no known material that is both light enough and strong enough to support one. It would also be one of the most expensive undertakings in human history while we still haven't found a way to reverse (and pay for) climate change, so it'd be a major case of putting the cart before the horse.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Shoving all of Abaddon's Gate into the back half of the 3rd season was definitely the right idea. I hope they stick to half-a-season-per-book for the rest of the series. Not only does it match the books' breakneck pace, but it means they're more likely to finish the story instead of petering out and getting canceled before season 9.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

quote:

“We’re actually taking a character that we did not include in an earlier season for the show that’s in the book for that season,” Franck teased. “Because we didn’t use them, we suddenly realized that they were still available, so now we’re pulling that character into this season.”

“It’s the first time that we’ve pulled anybody from the past,” Abraham added.

“The book readers will be very excited when this character shows up, because they think we forgot about them,” Franck said.

I have no idea who this could be although I did sort of speedread my way through the first four books.

VVV: Ah yeah that's a good bet. Between the books and the show Bull, Ashford, Pa and Drummer have all sort of coalesced in my brain.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 21, 2019

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Friendly reminder that everyone should read Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson! :eng101:

gently caress yes. Also pick up KSR's Mars trilogy if you want to see a more grounded take on 150+ years of Martian colonization.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I wonder if they'll find a way to work Clarissa Mao into this season. Aside from Bobbie and Avasarala she's probably the most important character that gets sidelined in Cibola Burn.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burn_Gorman

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Mars all the way. .38g with solid ground beneath your feet sounds like a dream. .1g in a spinning tin can sounds like a nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

All of the books are currently on sale in the Kindle and Google stores (probably others too). Now's a good time to get caught up before season 4 and book 9.