Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
My exposure to Elizabeth Mitchell isn't the best, but IMO it's the first time I see her in a role where she feels natural. Everything before, there was always some weird vibe to her act.

Also, the gratuitous cussing generally helps the natural feel. I loved the bit with Mao. "...motherfucker!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Took me until this episode to notice that the fleet admiral was Yao Fei in Arrow. Heh.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

I guess we've got faster than light rail guns and missiles now :cripes:
No we don't. Time in the show is compressed.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Y'all just like being loving assholes, huh?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Sounds like someone doesn't have sufficient trust in the LORD to me.
That was actually the plot point.

Shouldn't be surprising, considering there's people that refuse to wear a seat belt because of Lord Almighty.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I've read SpoilerTV and am glad that at least two key things should still make it into this season: The ring station seems to be going up in episode 7, and since there's 10 episodes, we hopefully get the guy splatting against the bulkhead.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Netflix isn't streaming it at all over in the US, or just delayed by a few months?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

US netflix doesn't have it, its available on amazon/itunes to buy as soon as it comes out and goes free on prime a few months before the next season
Kinda doesn't make sense that iTunes has it, if Amazon has ostensibly exclusive US rights.

Question is more what time limit there is on these contract. If either US and/or international exclusivity runs out at a closer point in time, I could see either party springing for it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Svaha posted:

What I'm getting at, is that while Amazon may have streaming rights they don't seem to have exclusive streaming rights in the US.
Yeah this. I'm wondering that one of the reasons it doesn't stream on Netflix US is because Alcon went shopping to Amazon first, and Netflix is being like "Eh, so long they stream it, we won't."

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That reddit thread sure likes premature ejaculation or something? "Amazon on the verge of acceptance" what?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If Amazon doesn't spring for it, it'd be weird. Netflix figured out that their core audience likes scifi and is tailoring upcoming content to that. The audience is probably largely the same for Prime Video, so you'd figure Amazon has to do something similar. Assuming content rights aren't too hosed up, it's something on a silver platter, also considering the good will that comes with it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Jesus, with that barrage of replies, I figured something was announced. What a cock tease.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Why are actors running around on the Amazon campus, and there's still nothing to announce? :mad:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

How does that work? It still requires you to have their box? I'd figure sci-fi nerds and privacy freaks have a lot of overlap, and therefore the viewership isn't representative.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

TTerrible posted:

The Culture is going to translate as well to a TV series as Dark Tower did to a movie.
Best make "Excession" into a series instead. Lots of ships ranting and conspiring.

tooterfish posted:

Consider Phlebas isn't too out there, probably the most adaptable one. It's a pretty standard adventure story at heart.
Last I remember, the book opens with the protagonist trapped in a hole being shat on. That'll make for nice TV.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Heh, the bad audio makes it feel kinda cinematic.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

OctaMurk posted:

The Rocinante also uses CAD mice for piloting
Well, the model in question is actually called SpaceMouse, so it's well suited.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Two things about the ring were fun: One that the portal is one sided (at least portrayed so in the show), and that Maneo's part of the ship, that dipped into the event horizon, started to glow dissipating heat. Same for the missile.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah, but the protomolecule has previously demonstrated that it gives no shits about laws of conservation.
Uh, it does? They went into it when they tailed Eros. Thermodynamics still applied, and the heat it was generating matched what would be needed to move that asteroid.

--e:f,b

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Face blindness is an actual thing. But I guess that's too controversial now, too, or what?

This has been going on for ages in any TV IV thread. There's regularly goons mixing up actors that just have just barely gender, skin and hair color in common and nothing else.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Welp. Time to abandon thread.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's a really good stunt. You know it's fake though. He fell faster than gravity.
They probably sped up the falling bit in editing, given the ship started accelerating.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

"Oh yeah, it's all to drat obvious, you dimwits! Y'all suck at watching TV! Oh by the way, I read the books, but nevermind that ."

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, I watched the broadcast for a change, and that censoring was loving hilarious.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I liked the non-chalance of discussing the spacing after the fact.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Amos is a mechanic, so practical thinking is a skill of his.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

At least they showed the inside of the Behemoth briefly this episode.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yea that. It isn't much, but could have (re)used more often. With what going on and on about how huge their new battleship is, practically everything happened on the cramped bridge only. The scene where Naomi was fixing some poo poo, when Ashford creeped up, could have used that backdrop.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Svaha posted:

The initial spin is probably too much for the motors. I figure they just spin it up with the thrusters, then when It gets at sufficient speed the motors kick in to keep it spinning. Keep in mind that the motors and however it's connected to the ship are the only friction here.
Using motors isn't an option, because the non-spinny bits aren't anchored anywhere. You're going to go into action reaction business, and each part builds up spin relatively to its mass vs the other.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I always wondered why that Joseph Seed character in Farcry 5 seemed so familiar. Turns out it's Lopez from the Donnager.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Holy poo poo, man... This is going to be tiresome, if that keeps up until season 4.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

MA-Horus posted:

Never saw the original Stargate movie or any of the TV shows? That's ok because there's a REBOOT of Stargate coming to theaters! Directed by the one and only Roland Emmerich!

RIP Stargate.
Really? I thought that was shitcanned.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

etalian posted:

US has the same message, I hope it will be on Amazon Prime video in October.
Does PrimeVideo support 5.1 audio streaming to the PC yet?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hope it doesn't take too long of the season.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Any particular reason why plane seats aren't just pointing the other way? I'd figure smashing with your back into a seat would be preferable to the seatbelt janking onto your abdomen.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 12, 2018

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Is there a knife aficionado convention today, or what's with all this edginess?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Phi230 posted:

That's the whole point of the first trilogy, no? That things are stagnant and rveryone is gonna tear themselves apart to keep things the same?
Kinda reminds me of that dumbass pseudo-profound motto of the place I work at. Goes something like this (translated): "A lot needs to change for everything to stay as it is."

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Not sure what it is with the licensing, but Amazon EU still isn't streaming any season.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Not surprisingly, because profits and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

These stupid science bitches couldn't even make space more securer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BNjJutK_4A
I suppose that's where Pacific Rim drew the inspiration for its science duo.