Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Really hope they avoid the weird issue from season...2? or was it back in S1? where some of the direct-to-video vendors accidentally got the TV edits. (Speaking specifically to cussin' and straight up cut content, don't care about terrible TV sex scenes.)

And put me down on the list of book readers excited to see how they continue remixing and tweaking the material from the books.

EDIT: page 1 :toot: over a decade on this dumb website and I finally made it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Fister Roboto posted:

Here's a better idea: don't get upset about properly tagged spoilers.

Or just read the dang books.

I'm a book reader, and I heartily recommend the books to anyone enjoying the show – but I can absolutely understand wanting to experience the story as told via the TV series w/o jumping ahead into the books, plus the desire to discuss the show without having one's mouse cursor wander through a spoilery minefield.

There is a distinct thread in the other subforum for a reason. Bookmarking and following both isn't exactly difficult, especially for someone who's capable of reading entire books :v:

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

NTRabbit posted:

The show is already on Netflix basically everywhere that isn't the US, and to the annoyance of everyone there's like a 6 month delay between US and RoW air dates, I can see them buying it from SyFy if they decide to cancel it

BTW, since this stuff comes up a lot, I thought I'd post a couple tweets/threads by Ty Franck (he's behind the authors' shared pen name Twitter account; Daniel has his own under his own name) re: the whole SyFy vs Netflix, US vs RoW, etc situation (click through for rest of thread/s):

https://twitter.com/JamesSACorey/status/986718037704232960

https://twitter.com/JamesSACorey/status/986718766426816512

He posts more (around that same time, IIRC) that I couldn't find.

The crux seems to be that Alcon, the studio, can only afford to create the show with the licensing fees they get from SyFy (i.e. those fees are some large percentage of the cost of production) and SyFy won't license without an exclusivity agreement re: distribution.

That exclusivity agreement is what prevents simultaneous worldwide distribution (despite SyFy not existing outside the US...:doh: ) and is what must be negotiated around by the VOD services like iTunes and Amazon (IIRC they agree to give SyFy some percentage of their cut in trade for morning-after distribution.)

tl;dr as has already been stated in this thread, SyFy is kind of stupid and they suck and basically capitalism is bullshit.

Re: Avasarala fuckery, I think it's just because it airs in a different time slot this season? Can't find that tweet either. I can confirm it's gloriously uncensored via Amazon Video.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

double nine posted:

So when Fred Johnson made his salvage request to Drummer, she immediately made the assumption that he/the OPA would convert the Nauvoo into a warship. What if they converted it into a station - a habitat with near-earth gravity and all the creature comforts that a rich organized religion could request, commandeered by the OPA. Wouldn't be a bad propaganda stunt, imo.

This is actually how the showrunners are planning the not-yet-announced tie-in to Babylon 5. Turns out, the Mormons' version of Jesus and God the Father were actually Vorlons, the protomolecule was created by the Shadows, and the Nauvoo will eventually become the first of the Babylon stations. I have no idea how the Minbari fit into this...

Realtalk, it's already been established in the setting that the difference between "station" and "extremely large and slow ship" isn't a big one, eg Tycho has moved around a few times in its history. I don't remember if Tycho has any weaponry though. Either way it stands to reason that regardless of how mobile and/or armed an OPA-captured Nauvoo is, it'd be a huge win in terms of OPA-controlled usable close-to-planetary-G living/growing/etc space. Forget how large it is compared to Tycho or Ceres but it's decidedly nontrivial.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Super interesting (and disturbingly in-depth - but don't worry, it's pretty skimmable and broken into sections and the worst of the math is behind hyperlinks to spreadsheets) breakdown/theorycrafting as to exactly why SyFy canceled the show: https://destroythecomics.com/nerd-tv-shows/quantifying-the-expanse-cancellation-diving-into-the-numbers-syfy-the-future-at-amazon/

As someone who enjoys knowing how various types of metaphorical sausage is made, I found it an engaging look at what goes into making shows like this, how it appears to compare to others in the same vein, the fact that it was likely still the best-rated/best-liked show on the network, how thin the profit margins probably were, etc.

Doesn't ultimately change the story we already know (SyFy only having first-run linear distribution rights meant the show needed to have literal gangbusters viewership to give the channel what it wanted) but worth reading anyways IMHO.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

latinotwink1997 posted:

When they spun up the drum, why would the things floating inside be pulled towards the edge in that initial shot? It doesn’t seem like those would be affected, only the things inside the actual structure of the drum.

Typically when you see folks positing about the behavior of O'Neill cylinders like the Behemoth, the idea is the interior of the drum is pressurized with regular-ish atmosphere. Air's not a vacuum, so it will be dragged to some degree by the movement of the inner surface (otherwise, for example, folks standing on the "ground" would constantly be feeling a wind of the same speed as the rotation).

Whether this effect would be enough to move items around like in that VFX shot (especially that quickly after the start of rotation) I have no idea.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Tarquinn posted:

Wha... what does that mean?

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/741904787361300481

(If that tweet itself isn't sufficient to clear it up, the first few hits on Google for "milkshake duck" should.)

Combined with Youtube specifically, I assume it just refers to how an awful lot of popular "YouTubers™" turn out to be of poor character.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Solenna posted:

ETA: with some of the other big popular sci-fi and fantasy TV that I've watched lately being Westworld and Game of Thrones it's also really nice to watch a show where nobody threatens to rape any of the leads on screen. And I'm a little sad how relieved I am about it.

This is one of my favorite things about the authors, they have an apparently rare talent for being cynical/realistic without veering too far into gritty for grit's sake which is sadly just so drat widespread these days. For example, Daniel Abraham's solo work The Dagger & The Coin series (highly recommended!) has similar properties.

Also I have a bad habit of posting choice bits from SA threads as Twitter "OH" (overheard), did so for the above quote, and Daniel actually saw it and replied!

https://twitter.com/AbrahamHanover/status/1025168396026032128

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's canon that he's an rear end man
Thought that was Diogo tho, the only ogling we see Maneo doing is of some mammaries.

sebmojo posted:

That kind of happened tho
:aaaaa:

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Eiba posted:

And if it makes you feel better they've already said they will be featuring plots for characters who weren't in Cibola Burns, so we're not going to be getting exclusively Cibola Burns material anyway.
psst it's Cibola Burn, no 's'. Cibola Burns is Mr Burns' second cousin from The Simpsons.

Also, yea, have more faith in the writing team, folks! They've already shown they're real good at modifying, compressing, remixing and dropping parts of the source material that either straight up weren't great, or which don't adapt to TV well. The only worries I have about S4 are generic, "what if the new studio means cuts to parts of the budget or weird controlling changes to the script" type stuff.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Svaha posted:

It's when a show has pretensions of being a deadly serious space science show but then gets all lazy and draws on all the dog-eared tropes that were designed to make filming cheap TV easier back in the 60s, that I lose interest. There's no excuse for that, other than a lack of imagination.
Can you elaborate on these? I'm sure they'll be obvious in hindsight but besides "aliens == humans in masks" and "artificial gravity" I'm not turning up much else offhand.

Also seconding Planetes (read or watch, it's both a manga and an anime) – super good, both as "real life in space?" and simply enjoyable fiction regardless of setting.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Svaha posted:

The main problem is a general lack of recognition of actual current science in favor of narrative simplicity/ giving the audience what it expects. This leads to most depictions of space in media to be incredibly derivative.
Totally, and I'm well aware of most of the bits you and Eej bring up. I'm specifically curious which are derived specifically from:

quote:

tropes that were designed to make filming cheap TV easier back in the 60s
Microgravity, clearly hard to film; non-bipedal aliens, hard to design/construct/puppetize; but like, sleek ships? That's less of a cost saving thing and just a failure of imagination or appeal to laypersons' aesthetics, right? (Which, most of the rest also fall under, IMO).

Windows on spaceships, I'm wondering if that's because it's easier to film interior + SPACE WINDOWS than to have a large quantity of exterior shots, which would otherwise be kinda required to express movement/location. Total guess though; I know more about filmmaking than the average rando but still not much.

Most of the "space loving sucks/is slow/wants to kill you" bits seem to fall under "realism is often no fun at all to watch / requires tedious exposition" – which I know even our beloved Expanse duo and other scifi contemporaries struggle with at times. I wonder how much of their willingness to go for it anyways, vs eg ST:TOS shoveling it all under the rug, is due to expecting a higher level of science knowledge out of the audience these days vs the 60s.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Svaha posted:

I suppose, for me, the consternation is more general than that. TV and movies are awash in tropes. A lot of them are there to facilitate the narrative, some are dangerously misleading (Usually medical tropes like "We've got to remove the bullet!" or "we have to jump-start his heart!") Most of them serve no discernible purpose at all. They are just there because it worked that way before, and that's the convention now, i guess. <shrug> It makes for a lot of boring derivative scifi.
100% agree! I just fixated on the cost-saving aspect so was surprised to see things veer into general "ugh, tropes" territory. But yes: ugh, tropes. Vastly prefer creative works which treat their audience as intelligent folks and put in the work (and to be fair, it is work, which is why it's not commonly done) to avoid (or occasionally subvert) tropes.

I do wonder if this is why I read a lot more scifi than I watch these days; as you noted, the written stuff has kept pace (& puts in the work) while the visual seems happy, on average, to stick with old reliable.

quote:

Firefly
I'm never sure whether to be sad, or relieved, that I can't rewatch Firefly anymore because I want to punch the screen every time Adam "GamerGate" Baldwin shows up. I didn't hate the Whedon-ness of the show though, or the fact that it leaned on the space-frontier-is-cowboys trope - that trope is good fun in moderation.

quote:

Alfred Bester
This is the second time recently that Bester has come up, and each time, my brain just thinks of the namesake Walter Koenig B5 character instead of the original author. Like, he's an evil government telepath who also writes foundational scifi in his spare time :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Apparently Amazon have just renewed for season 5 :dance:

Yup!!! https://twitter.com/AbrahamHanover/status/1155152256410374145