Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
What attracted me to the show was that its basically good people doing the best they can figure in a really complex situation with no right answer. Nobody's slighted over getting or not getting a crown. Nobody decides to kill folk and deal meth because they got upset about an argument 25 years ago. There's no Diet Anton Chigurrh with bullshit plot armor magic powers to create a sense of threat. There's no creepy slimy psychic wizard hurting folks because something-something-Homo-Superior. It's just a bunch of people trying to make it through the working week, and the drama that comes from that.

And now its over because syfy is a glorified money laundering operation and amazon and netflix can't stop pissing on each others' leg.

godDAMMIT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
^^^ same

Holden's like "Hey, Naomi, thanks for talking me down from my crazy bullshit. I really value having someone around to tell me things I don't want to hear because that's when I need to hear it"

and immediately when I saw that, a constellation of things I had trouble articulating how much I hated about Mad Men snapped into focus.

loving syfy, man...

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
well at least we can have more timeless, definitely-gonna-age-well moments like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bgMCNXzNtE

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
goes into the tv forum

"uh, ever hear of a book? lol"

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

I can't believe Syfy sees this poo poo and says "Nah, we don't need that show."

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Khablam posted:

Nielsen ratings are the same random sampling with the box/diary stuff they've always done.
Sadly, you watching the show does nothing for the ratings.

:capitalism:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Isn't there a digital system that the streaming services look at, even though advertisers only use Nielsen?

In any event:
https://twitter.com/abrahamhanover/status/996899170601418753?s=21

So if you're going to watch anyways :shrug:

The streaming services know what you're watching. That's why they're streaming services. It is far more difficult for them to NOT know what a given account is watching, when, than it is for them to know that.

Broadcast advertisers go through an imperfect 3rd party to collect a partial sample of an audience and a broadcast network canceled this show because it wasn't making Breaking Bad numbers on Hump Day.

again: :capitalism:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Baloogan posted:

givin a gently caress when it aint your turn to give a gently caress

...is kinda also the entire plot of this show, too, when you think about it.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

was that good btw?

this literally plays as the kids fly off to the big climactic kaiju boss fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oavMtUWDBTM

i'm not joking.

i didn't have particularly strong feelings about the first one either way, but the absence of del toro helming from the first to the second was palpable

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

zeal posted:

i always liked the martian interrogator

That was the scene where I transitioned from "huh, this is a pretty neat genre entry, lets see what happens next" to "holy fuckin poo poo this show has BALLS" and that the followup is one of the more horrifying depictions of space combat just slam dunked it.

It's such a great repudiation of the 24-style torturefest. Pain isn't in it when pressing someone for info. Empathy and remembering stuff is.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
People are gonna squee about a lot that happened.

Can we get a moment--just a moment--to appreciate the guy who steps in on his brother's girl, and walks in on the Dear John VLOG wearing a banana hammock to say whats up? Just suspending completely for a second the idea that Belters are tallish skinny waifs and going straight for the FCC safe dickcentric cuckoldry sight gag? Because that whole story sequence was a hilarious departure in tone, and that particular bit was the cherry on top.

e;

Cojawfee posted:

Am I supposed to know who Melba is, or is this just setting her up as a character?

I could swear I've seen someone who looks just like her.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 24, 2018

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Collateral posted:

What Ashford was doing, was using Naomi's reputation for being an associate of 'the saviour,' and Drummer's inexperience of command to undermine her authority. She was going to space the supplier, he appealed to Naomi's morality to prevent it. Then immediately afterwards, when Drummer was off balance, interrupted her and issued his instructions using her authority. It also has the effect of recruiting/pressing the black market into his service, because he saved them from spacing and having their markets shut down.

Drummer should have sent him to clean the drive coils with a wet rag, showing him who was the boss, then beat the tar out of the dealer and supplier. Unfortunately she froze and became passive.

He really doesn't care one hoot for the rule of law, but he does know that Drummer is hot headed and will take the law into her own hands. So using rule of law as a wedge between Drummer and her closest ally is his tactic to isolate and undermine Drummer's authority. I fully expect him to try and oust her, no doubt he will use the same supplier in some nefarious scheme, perhaps to (attempt to?) assassinate her, then space him, without a trial. For the sake of irony and the look on Naomi's face.

Hopefully Drummer gets wise and spaces Ashford when he makes his move. :commissar:

Once Ashford interrupted with "...and they'll be put on our special prison barge" I was like, ah, yep, that's all he wanted. That was the only thing Ashford showed zero flex on. Everything leading up to that was bookeeping to get socially connected problem children on the Nauvoo segretated onto the Black Sky Ideology Hotel that Diego also went to before reintroducing them back into the OPA navy, on the Nauvoo or elsewhere.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Well. That all escalated quickly. I mean, that really got outta hand.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Seeing how people outside the group--Prax, Miller, the doc crew--react to the problem solving processes of the Roci Posse is one of the great joys of this show.

are your plans ALWAYS this vague? "this is about average"

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
i contend if creepy camera guy were creeping on say Naomi it'd be far, far, far far far far worse a look, and independent of the particular orientations expressed Amos' reaction pretty clearly characterizes both the director's and camera op's advances as weird, clumsy, scummy and lovely even by the standards of a Baltimore rentboy.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

My favorite thing about this episode is that what pissed Holden off the most was the hat.

literally. every. single. person. miller comes into contact with--as a detective or as a... whatever? echo? investigator? tool? everyone hates that hat and comments on it at the soonest opportunity. its great.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Toast Museum posted:

I need to re-watch season 1; when does Miller see Julie? I remember it happening a lot less on the show, but I don't remember the details.

After he saw her in person for the first time... in one of the Blue Falcon's bathrooms.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

When he sees Julie it's filmed the same way they do it on Lost when people are having freaky visions. I think it's meant to be jarring and not just a dude thinking things through.

I read it mostly as trauma and not necessarily a communication from the protomolecule. Which, I think, is kind of informing the protomolecule's approach to Holden to be honest. "oh you guys see visions of dead folks in times of duress? okay. lets try some visions of the Notably Dead, then"

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

VagueRant posted:

Great work, America.

listen, back in the day we were fuckin' EXCELLENT at making media that the rest of the world wanted to see.

but to put it in the words of another show that was excellent because the creators could defy FCC censorship guidelines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvXMtdmm2S4&t=15s

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, no, that's not true at all. Like just two weeks ago someone posted their speculation, and they were right about a few things, so people freaked out about them being a secret book reader and got a mod to edit their post (thus ironically spoiling it for them).

This whole thread is loving stupid, just keep it locked except on Wednesday.

no man, its really up in the air what the big circle is that swallows matter and as yet we don't know what happens to it, but the MillerThing repeatedly describes as a "room" with its clearly metaphorical and workable-yet-imperfect understanding of MeatSpeech and practical linguistic concepts. maybe its a big teevee screen. it could be anything, this insanely unique shimmering ring which is not a visual concept that is being deployed on purpose in a piece of media in order to craft associations.

I HAve Not Read The Books, But it seems like theres a lotta self proclaimed "fans" of the sci fi genre who have apparently discovered it two weeks ago or something. i am insanely super-stoked for what is almost certainly a tectonic heel turn in tone and just because its a little tropey doesn't mean its less effective.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I Have Not Read The Books, But while bookreaders being coy about spoilers is kind of a shitbird maneuver there's a line in turn where stupid oblivious viewers who do not understand immensely obvious visual signifiers hold good faith discussion hostage in six-day increments.

Surprise is OH WOAH RANDOM and its why Lost and latter-day BSG are garbage. Suspense is signposting what's going to happen and then fulfilling that happening in ways that subvert established relationships and The Expanse is insanely, preposterously good at this in a way that a not-quite-entire handful of shows have done before ever. Be a better viewer, and deserve the credit The Expanse is giving us. IMO.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 5, 2018

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Aexo posted:

If ProtoMiller isn't within Holden and there's a visible distortion when the ring activates, why isn't there a trace of when ProtoMiller is projected to Holden or are they just not looking for the communication like they did when they were finding out where the kids were. I guess it could have reached out to the PM on the ship and the PM on the ship is the one doing the work now.

Considering they can't get their weapons online or communicate and they say the transmission was coming from within the ship, they're going to know it's one of the two new people that did it. I have half a mind that it's someone within the OPA that orchestrated it all to show the inners that they can make the tough calls.

The ring activating is the trigger for Miller's appearance, the PM on the ship is apparently the vector for its appearance implied by the intercutting, and we don't know how else the PM is reaching out 113 times a second. Which is probably why the PM went "gently caress it, plan B, hallucination time, lets set boundary conditions for one person at a time--may as well start with the most incorrigibly sentimental dude in the solar system who helms a spacecraft--and see if THAT works."

The second paragraph will likely be the subject of much musing amongst the Roci Posse when everyone overcomes their colossal panic attacks.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The Behemoth really is the biggest piece of poo poo. Maybe it's time to consider that the belters are poo poo at shipbuilding and all those mormons would have died horribly if they went on their journey on The Spruce Goose.

You have to admit though its pretty well built for the purpose of slowly trundling through an area :haw:

somebody please make a loop and/or randomizer of miller gish galloping holden with sciences man was not meant to know. stick a funnel in my mouth and give me miller chattering on in metaphor forever

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Kaedric posted:

Another great scene was showing the obvious growing respect and understanding between Amos and Holden. Instead of it being a huge dramatic event that Amos 'went rogue' or whatever, Holden is just like 'hey gimme a heads up' and Amos was like 'you got it, I'm sorry'. Holy poo poo that's how real life works. People TALK and problems are SOLVED.

The strength of this show is forgoing Grand Overarching Narrative (gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you, jj abrams and westworld) in favor of sympathetic characters doing things for clearly elucidated reasons and coming into conflict with each other because of it. You can obviously have large background mysteries and high stakes and grittiness, but holy smokes I can't remember the last time a dramatic show didn't lean on a Walter White or a Ramsay Bolton acting like a savage for no reason other than because it was in the script.

Even freakin' Jules-Pierre Mao and the PM division salvage a degree of sympathy because it turns out all that semi-mystical babbling about human destiny and sacrifice was, in retrospect, if anything: too modest by half

still guillotine the lot, though. imo

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Its almost certainly a case of staring too long into the abyss, but you kinda get a taste for absurd american broadcast censorship, especially when its clear the editors and actors in ADR sessions find it as silly as anyone else who doesn't believe the world was created in exactly six days.

My favorite is the TNT version of The Matrix:

"How about this deal: I give you the flipper"

*shakes fist at agent smith*

"...and you give me my phone call."

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

It's weird because they (Alcon) appear to be self censoring since Syfy doesn't censor shows anymore. It's a self-own by The Expanse.

Pure CYA measure. While enforcement is different on cable than on broadcast, and the odd cuss might slide, profanity is still technically prohibited on nonpremium cable so for a character saying "gently caress" a few times in a row a canadian production company probably decided against rolling the dice with the Donald Trump FCC when even a single letter from a single concerned mom would be impetus for a few hundred thousand in fines

Phenotype posted:

did these assholes actually print out that giant black block of ink so the amazon studios logo could be in white? that thing has to be wet to the touch even through a computer screen.

big companies do NOT forget around with brand identities. putting a black stroke around the white text would have the lawyers and graphics design folk killing each other to break alcon's knees.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 14, 2018

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
this episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx_fKg2Cn48

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

timp posted:

EDIT: Then again, that would mean Avasarala would be dead and it doesn't seem like they would do that. I'm conflicted. Can somebody please come in here and teach me how to watch TV right? What the gently caress did we just see??

I don't think that was what was happening literally, right now. that was a lot of straight-up psychedelic imagery and here's my read of that chaotic nonsense:

holden realized on a protomolecule induced level that just like miller was saying while they were flying through a tunnel the size of south dakota: all existence and experience was an incomplete picture of an ineffable entirety. he then saw an entire field of rings across the field of... fuckin... ringspace? ringborder? that edge? and some of them were fritzing out and some of the buggy ones were disappearing, or sometimes they stabilized, or sometimes they vanished entirely for no reason. then a blue ray shot through one of the rings and into a yellow star. like our sun, kinda star. and turned it into protomolecule. then everything exploded into light.

and holden might be really hosed up or he might just have seen Universal Stakes Koyannisqatsi and now has to walk away with that, by the way sorry about flaying the martian officer alive and yeah, holy poo poo everyone's inertia-paste because they specifically mentioned things in ships don't get affected by the slow-field OH MY GOD NAOMI PLEASE NO WHAT THE gently caress holy loving poo poo what is this story even

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Everyone with a cross word to say about Bobby Draper committed high treason in the Spaceman Weremacht, so its probably worth it to the Martian brass to just quietly reinstate a freakin NCO and maybe give her elite unit a preferential look when one of her main adversarial contacts whilst out of pocket jumps at a fuckin' namomachine death star looking loving thing at the geometric center of we're still not sure where the gently caress we are, actually. Even a police state can make an exception for that once a metal jellyfish jumps out of Venus and makes a hole to ImpossibleVille. i can see even the most grimdark space fascist going like "y'know what? gently caress it. one thing at a time here"

e; so i don't quad post: this was initially marketed as Game of Thrones in Space, but that's so loving small. if i'm reading the psychedelic montage right: this is motherfuckin' GRRM taking a heel turn into Arthur C. Clarke. its just an Arthur C. Clarke story barging in on everything like "YO IM SORRY, WERE YOU HAVING PERSONAL PROBLEMS? poo poo. THATS TOO BAD MAN ANYWAY HERES THE LIFECYCLE OF THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE IF YOU WERE INTERESTED. IM GONNA KILL YOU BTW. PEACE"

ee; the hook for this show isn't Game of Thrones in Space. It's Historical Materialist's Childhood's End. i 100% understand why they didn't go for that, but holy poo poo they're teasing the latter and its so much better

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 14, 2018

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Holden dropped 17 996 km⁄hr in like three seconds.

I’m not clear on exactly how good their g tolerance drugs are, but at 10 g it would take 51 seconds to lose that speed.

im beginning to think this show uses cinematic abbreviation of natural laws in the NotMakeSenseZone in order to not step on the flow of the action

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
*checks watch*

six days, seven and a half hours....

*taps foot quicker and quicker and quicker*

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Chalks posted:

Blowing up stars seems like a pretty weird purpose for something like this. I feel like there either must be more to it (like destroying systems and closing gates to try to defeat or flee from some great threat that eventually destroyed them) or it's not what it seems at all and it's not destroying stars.

So y'know how the protomolecule really loves growing around nuclear power sources?

Y'know how often the Roci Posse talked about shooting the PM into the sun, but never actually did?

I'm thinking that was a pretty good decision, in retrospect, given what we saw in the Trippy Zone.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Blackchamber posted:

Is a drive plume hotter than the sun? I mean the Roci cooked a pm monster in its plume, so maybe the heat kills it before it whatever you think it would do to the sun?

The implication is "drives" are just controlled nuclear explosions, so... comparable? Is my guess. That's also a lot of force physically blasting apart the hybrid. What the plume didn't have a lot of is mass. Protomolecule looooves co-opting mass, and seems to have a very literalist behavior in terms of treating matter as just another expression of energy (E=mc2 remember!), what with Raw Protomolecule for lack of a better word, as opposed to the hybrid creatures, being able to convert inertialess acceleration to heat and all, atop of breaking apart and mixing and reforming consciousness and biology with almost contemptuous ease.

And I can't think of anything with more mass OR energy in the solar system than the sun.

and that was not a medium size star turning into a blue giant. blue giants are BIIIIIIIIIGGGGGG. that was a medium size star--like ours--turning into a Big loving PM Ball. and that was the end of the vision.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
is it 9 o'clock yet?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

tooterfish posted:

Isn't it always?

somewhere, surely. but not where it counts!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
it checks the clock one-hundred thirteen times a second, but the show isn't on so it makes the post, the post is bad, the post doesn't work so it makes the post over and over until it finds the episode that wasn't there this morning.

when i exceed my boundary conditions it sixes me.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

logikv9 posted:

you're definitely right because there's no way she (or anybody else) could do it themselves, but i thought it was just badass that she did it at all.

untethered in space, and not even in real space either, is scary. to do it on your first outing in space is wow

a scene i thought reinforced this a lot was naomi being absolutely stone-cold confident in dealing with a spontaneously combusting ship (vent the motherfucker, no O2 no fire and you beltalowda) and then being utterly fuckin' terrified of WeirdSpace, because for the first time in a long time Naomi is really uncomfortable merely stepping outside a spaceship.

and then anna's like "to heck with it, none can judge me but God" and dives backwards into hell

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Expanse is precursor to Dune

Yes.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
this show is great and i don't know why more shows don't have lots of good guys acting smart, becuase it turns out a drama can be really "gritty" and everyone can still be more or less cool with each other and not just loving each other up because it's in the script. except for clarissa. get your poo poo together, clarissa. god dammit. i mean that. because if He exists, He's watching you right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

Hey Google, plot me a course to the Rocinante

yeah, i feel if its functionality in a Kerbal Space Program mod then it's probably plausible tech to have on a vac-suit in the year 2394 or whatever