Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I hope Adam Savage comes back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Crazycryodude posted:

I don't give a poo poo how many "diverse" characters a show has just for the sake of diversity. I do give a poo poo when they make an explicitly Nigerian character into a Norwegian for some indiscernible reason. Ade has all of five minutes of screen time, it's not like they needed to find an actress that could work on the show long-term and had to make a concession to casting constraints. I'm sure there were dozens of black actresses that were just as available and happy to work for one portion of one episode as the generic blond white girl they went with.

It's not like the casting choice for a minor character ruined the show or anything, I'm obviously still watching and still like it, but I think it was a dumb and bad decision that I can see no real justification for.

Replace your post with "Wow, they have a black character and then kill her within five minutes. What a *thing from TV tropes*."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's a reason why shows tend to have a thread for the show and another thread for the show that includes book spoilers.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Or just don't be an rear end, and keep book discussion to the book thread.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't really get what those dudes were. Were they normal people in fancy suits? Seemed weird that the guys hand was cut off and then the suit healed over it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

bloom posted:

I kinda wish they had gone the book route with it. In those she doesn't take the armor off, she stands there and uses it to brace herself against the g-forces. No idea if that's remotely realistic but it did make the armor seem even more badass.

Maybe it would have looked silly on screen and that's why they changed it.

That would have had the problem where either no one is flying that ship, or someone has to get left behind.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

bloom posted:

This may blow your mind, but the black bars are called "spoiler tags". They are called that because they are used to tag spoilers. If you have a mental condition that forces you to compulsively mouse over every one of these tags, maybe the problem is at your end?

This may blow your mind, but the other thread is called "the book spoiler thread". It is called that because it is used for posting book spoilers. If you have a mental condition that forces you to compulsively post book spoilers in the non book thread, maybe the problem is at your end?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The very end of the second season was Bobbie getting her power armor out of the transport and killing dudes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

bloom posted:

Not intending to talk about her character in any detail, was just remarking that going by her first appearance I like her.

Concerning Amos' and Prax's scene during the battle, shouldn't those suits have an air supply built into them? Far as I could tell they're the standard Roci spacesuits. Maybe I missed it being explained but I was a bit confused as to why they had to be hooked up to the ship's air supply like that. Should probably rewatch the series because it owns to see if that was a thing in the earlier seasons.

The suits probably use chemical filters, and those would be limited. Hooking up to the ship's air supply would be free air. Amos disconnected his hose at the helmet, and Prax's hose disconnected at the wall. Perhaps there is a failsafe built into the helmet end that will seal off when a hose is disconnected, but for some reason the same isn't built into the other side. So when Amos disconnects, his suit starts providing air. When Prax disconnects, his suit thinks it is getting air from the ship. Even then, it should still have sensors that detect that the pressure dropped rapidly and it needs to do something to keep Prax alive. Aside from catastrophic failure, there's no way Prax would have run out of air like that in a real life situation.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

bloom posted:

To clarify this part does make sense, it's just weird that a disconnect would have such a catastrophic effect. Seems to me like the ship should be keeping the suits' tanks filled up so if someone needs to disconnect during maneuvers(bound to happen on a warship) they have a full tank of air to work with.

The tools being loose was enough tension for that scene imho so the air thing felt unnecessary.

I think the scene was needed for that Amos tool catch. Catching a tool in front of his own face would be impressive, but not as impressive as catching it in front of Prax's face. Maybe they could have accomplished that if the seats were right next to each other, but Amos making his way across the room added action to an already tense scene.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
As long as Syfy doesn't pull an Adult Swim and kill a very popular TV series and then absolutely refuse to sell the rights to anyone.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Holden gets stuck on one thing and refuses to entertain anything else.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

lol Which episode was this? I definitely must have missed.

Mao's ship had pretty paintins on it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

etalian posted:

It was great when he got dunked on at Tycho station.

I liked when they got there and just assumed they'd get to keep their ship as if they were some A-Team special forces whatever out to save the solar system. Not enough people say "You're just a bunch of lovely rock hoppers who lucked into a fancy ship." I feel like that's going to come up now that they don't have much in the way of weapons left anymore. They stole a cop car and now it's out of gas and they don't want to go back to normal.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They could probably just reconfigure the current one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Turn the Roci into an A-10 and put a big ol fuckin rail gun right on the front.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They probably don't need pickets or scouts or anything. The point of a picket is to find out if the enemy is marching towards you. Carrier groups have planes in the air to see if there are other ships coming towards them. if you're in space, you can see literally forever. Anything a scout can see will be just as easily seen by the main ship.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
No way in hell is anyone going to do business with Tycho Station ever again if they take the Mormon's money, build a ship, steal it, abandon it, and then "salvage" it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I hope they go into how the people of Earth react to it. From their perspective, Mars launched a first strike against Earth. They have no idea that the UN fired rail guns against the Mars platforms. It would be interesting to see how the secretary general or whoever tries to explain that it's not a big deal and they aren't going to retaliate by leveling Mars.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I hope the last scene of this show is someone on a science station around Neptune trying to radio back to Earth and there's nothing because Earth and Mars nuked each other back to the stone age.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Kassad posted:

It's fun to wonder how many people might be living in Antarctica, if they managed to make the moon hospitable enough for a billion people.

What would they do? I assume the people on the moon extract helium or minerals or whatever. What do they do in Antarctica?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I can't wait for that video to get leaked. Errinwright is hosed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did they just raid the killjoys set for minor characters in this episode?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Idk who the white guy was but man he looked familiar

The lady was the new nerd they got. The white guy was the rich guy with connections.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So what exactly was that? Was the protomolecule analyzing the efficiency/effectiveness of the human body? The kid said something about distance and bandwidth, and redundant sensory inputs or something. I assume it was talking about the eyes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They can send messages to nobodies and no one will look into it. If they send a message to the leader of the UN, the UN might look into who it came from and what direction it came from.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

spiderbyte posted:

I wish they were able to show more of a range of graivities than zero-g and 1g, but I understand that is really really difficult due to budget reasons.

They have before. When Miller poured a drink in the first season, he held the glass further out because the liquid wouldn't fall as fast.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know about the show, but in general, an interstellar ship would accelerate at 1G or around there until the halfway point. Then it would turn around and then decelerate at 1G.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Crazycryodude posted:

Are you sure you don't mean interplanetary? Because that is indeed how ships travel between planets in the Expanse thanks to the magical bullshit drive that lets them afford constant acceleration. But I think it's literally physically impossible using anything even vaguely within the current understanding of physics to do that at interstellar distances.

How the hell are you going to carry the reaction mass to constantly accelerate at a full g the entire way? Also my quick back of the envelope math says that's literally impossible because you're gonna be hitting c in about a year or so of constant 1g acceleration so if you're trying to go a dozen light years you're just wasting fuel and time after hitting 0.999c in the first year loving with physics and tacking on extra mass rather than speed.

Sorry, not accelerating at 1G. Just accelerating the whole time. The method I saw was to use an Ion drive powered by a laser beam being fired from a station in solar orbit.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Don't Mormons get their own planet when they die? What if the Nauvoo shows up at some random dead Mormon's planet? That would be annoying.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why does this thread still have a poo poo post tag?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I want to see an episode open where some ship is on its way to an asteroid to mine it or whatever and then gets peppered by a bunch of bullets from like 10 years ago.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, but it usually gets changed after the OP says "Oh poo poo, I forgot to change the tag"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Amos bangs Avaserala.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Between this show and Barry, it must be "insane episode" week. That was crazy and I can't wait for next Wednesday. I understand why they did it, but I hate when lovely people pull the "once a lovely thing happened me, that's my excuse for being lovely now" pity party.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Everyone is getting more lax with language now. There are no rules for cable, they just have to please the sponsors. If the sponsors don't care about swear words, then we'll get swears.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess that shoots the "they are shooting season 3 and 4 at the same time" thing in the rear end. Netflix would be stupid to not pick this up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If Syfy was only broadcasting it, is the show really even cancelled? Netflix is already paying for international distribution, they would probably just have to pay a bit more to also stream it in the US.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Amazon has also been on a sci-fi tear, so they could be just as likely to pick it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Rah! posted:

youtube has The Expanse too, but i have no idea how all this rights stuff works. But it seems like amazon doesn't have exclusive rights?

anyways gently caress these loving idiots for cancelling one of the best fuckin shows ever :argh:

Maybe Amazon has exclusive rights to have it be "free" or something as in they are allowed to just throw it up on their paid service. But Youtube and iTunes or whatever are allowed to sell the show like Best Buy would sell blurays.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I've been wondering this about Fox for years but I guess they're just too big or something? I don't know much about the TV business.

Because Fox is the only company willing to take a shot on these niche shows in the first place. Other channels throw up some safe multicam sitcom where a bunch of 30 somethings live in two apartments across from each other. Or a fat funny guy is married to an attractive woman and they live in a house where the family room/front door/stairs are on the left, and the kitchen/back door is on the right. Fox takes a chance on these wacky single camera shows that don't appeal to the masses. Unfortunately, they also dump them just as easily.