Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
This is for Wednesday's comic, but it's a nice touch that Ally combs down Pasqualo's hair the same way she combs down Aurora's errant hairs in It Hurts!! :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Aw geez, I used to do that to myself a lot as a teenager too, poor Pasq :smith:
That said I'm so glad that Obtusangelo is a universal constant, that punchline was incredible

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Oh no Pasq's hair is turning paler when she's sad again.
Also the crying laughing thing is super real I'm still amazed at how this dumb comic about poop jokes is one of the most realistic portrayals of teenage depression I've ever seen.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
By jove I had missed how much these comics could just casually throw me for a complete loop :allears:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
To be fair Larry's still probably better-adjusted than Ryo at this point.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
That's a pretty great final line

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Me too, I so love these dorks :allears:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
This comic is really incredibly powerful in its portrayal of depression and self-loathing, to a degree that I have rarely seen. It's not its main draw by any stretch but that's because it doesn't overdo it and makes the times where it does show up incredibly powerful, a lot like what it's like when you do have depression. So many lesser works just make it permeate the entirety of the story and the reality is that it is there but it only comes out to you in small moments where you relent and let it fully form, often when you least suspect it. For as much as this dumb comic is about dong jokes it's one of the most artful depictions of depression I've ever seen, and the fact that it's unbelievably funny actually serves that instead of detracting from it.

tl;dr comic real fuckin' good, in a lot of ways. That's how you can tell it's art, it works on many levels (I am frankly only being half-facetious here)

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I like Pasqualo's outfit, that is a bomb-rear end jacket

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I was always one of those kids who got antsy when comic characters never got canon voices so this pleases me greatly

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Pasq going to have to introduce Patience to Sailor Moon so she can recognize cousins when she sees them

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
This comic is going in a really surrealist direction and it's really throwing me off balance :stare:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I really want Kim's mug

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
http://gobolatula.com/pfm/comic/049-betty-crockers-sweet-butt/
Marlon really was more suited to civilian life than post-apocalyptic, just not for the reasons you would expect.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

T-man posted:

i wish there was a titty fairy that gave everyone the exact right amount of boobery they wanted

don't want boob? no boob for you. want big boob? big boobs 4u. want small boob? smol b0bs for you

(I also wish for a body hair fairy, a genitals fairy, a clothing fairy, and iunno a height fairy)

Also I reread It Hurts and I think it legitimately works well as a piece of trans fiction death of the author motherfuckers

Yeah, something about works that star cyborgs tend to work really well for that kinda stuff, especially if they actually like their new bodies (which, distressingly rare). Then again I read Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne as a trans narrative so I might be a little weighted towards that.

Also poor Pasq shares my bad habit of having really strong emotions when she meets people who wrote things that resonate with you.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 29, 2019

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
KATIE NO :ohdear:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
It's kinda wild that a webcomic that liberally used the word "human being" early on ended up cultivating such a significant LGBTQ fanbase come to think of it.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Hell, I'd wear it.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I just think "Oh eat a dick Pinkie Pie" is a really good line

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 12, 2019

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I'm glad Gob is still dropping in occasional Friendship is Magic references every now and again frankly, at the risk of exposing myself. Gives the comic that real endearing Terminally Online quality

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
oh noooo :ohdear:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
OH NOOOOOOO :ohdear:

e: I've been in a psych ward before, it is very much Not Good. Poor Allison.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 18, 2019

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I love my precious trans lesbian daughter Pasqualo

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Straight up did a double take at the fourth panel there. Also Gob this comic lacks the ":3" tag and this is a grievous error

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Oh no Charlotte is me on every date I've ever been on, disaster is inevitable :ohdear:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Oof yeah that was like, the complete opposite of PFM

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Yeah, being a giant sadbrain trans person that was all really close to home. But it was good, cathartic: some of the best fiction I've read in a while. Abysmal font but otherwise great.

I like good webcomics, y'all. Now I can officially say there are two. :unsmith:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

T-man posted:

Oh God, did I forget to content warning that comic? Sorry y'all.

(Fresh Meat is the author's new work cw: suicide, forced hospitialization)

Oh you just HAD to traumatize me further, didn't you?

Also I forgot that the comic explicitly referenced Charlotte's Web at the start. This has troubling implications.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Yeah this is pretty true to the whole disaster gay teen dating experience. I was straight up Charlotte up until my early twenties.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Yeah I remember that part of dating as a teen too :smith:

drat it Gob stop making me feel emotions!

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
https://twitter.com/gobolatula/status/1140432941828325376

Looks like Gob's working on some of his side comics for fun during the hiatus

e: and yeah the majority of the pages are supposed to be like that

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 18, 2019

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Two things: one is that there is a guest comic today
https://twitter.com/gobolatula/status/1145682694279274496

However on another much more :kimchi: note, somehow both Gob and his wife follow me on twitter and I mentioned I was going through a serious rough patch (dealing with depression, getting super sick and also dealing with some alcohol withdrawal symptoms) and he actually reached out to me and completely unprovoked drew this for me
https://twitter.com/Atkinson72R/status/1145431693165121536
Just, super nice guy. I like him a lot.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Yeah I binged that one in an afternoon for the sake of catharsis during a bad depressive episode and I sent it to my brother saying "yo this pretty much encapsulates the poo poo I've gone through" because I just wanted someone close to me to know who wouldn't institutionalize me. He responded a few days later, I can pretty much describe his reaction as :stare:
Most :sadfan: comics tend to be overwrought and melodramatic but you can tell this one comes from a place of, I don't know, survived pain? Like the wound is healed and it's meditating on the scar and not shying away from both the meltdowns and the quiet moments of pain, while most others tend to focus on one or the other. It also doesn't shy away from real life snapping into focus (like when they took the wrong highway) or the little moments of alleviation and fun that can break depression for a small while (like breaking into the house).

In conclusion it's a hard read but a good one, and I've always liked hard reads now and again.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 3, 2019

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
New thead title: Please Forgive Me!!!- come for the fart jokes, stay for the depression!

(This is actually a terrible thread title don't really change it)

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I need Pasq's shirt right this goddamn minute and not just because I've been putting off laundry

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
One of these days I need to figure out how to make an "Out of context It Hurts!!/Please Forgive Me!!!" bot because these comics have some magnificent panels.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
It's like welcoming back an old friend :unsmith:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
The last panel is a metaphor for when I realized I was mtf trans

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 1, 2019

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I love the joke that Trisssh has to bundle up to insane amounts. Also that Patience has just gotten used to carrying people on her shoulders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
The depression comix are what gives this comic its soul, but I really am glad that they're used sparingly (it's going to be my first Christmas alone this year so this comic was a bit of a punch to the gut :smith: )