Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they're at worst as bad as the mag safe connector wrt debris causing sparks + fires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

removing MagSafe might be the worst mistake Apple has made ever

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shaggar posted:

generally speaking theres no connecting them wrong. they're reversible and in some cases for power only ones, they're rotating connectors

i meant in that you're relying on whatever chinese manufacturer and QA to make them right

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Boiled Water posted:

i meant in that you're relying on whatever chinese manufacturer and QA to make them right

Mate what do you think every single electronic product in the world is right now?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

that's pretty racist

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

NEED MORE MILK posted:

nah it was a bad design that set things on fire.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

NEED MORE MILK posted:

You are forgetting the butterfly key keyboard

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dang, I guess jingo FUD is all the American mainstream retail brands have left these days...

I superglued the little nibs into a refurb Nexus 10 that I got for $100 and a Shenzen special rugged phone (that amusingly had a bad listing in whatever IMEI database so Google and my telco thought I was using some old 2G phone) that I also got for $100. The cables would have been poo poo exactly like Shaggar says if I wasn't willing to glue them in. Also, after about a year of use I had to re-glue the gold sheath on the plug because it had come loose and I did have to clean some metal filings off of the magnets one time, but idk if those were from the connectors or from some other source because I do sometimes file metal in the same locale where I am charging my poo poo. However, being able to easily find the cable in the dark and snap it in place one handed without really thinking about it is really convenient compared to fiddling with a micro USB connection.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 20, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NEED MORE MILK posted:

giving you a posting station is the worst mistake apple has made ever

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If i upgrade my 1st gen iphone will AT&T let me keep $20 unlimited data

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Don Lapre posted:

If i upgrade my 1st gen iphone will AT&T let me keep $20 unlimited data

is the at&t store amber and black or something and you're confused?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

giving you a posting station is the worst mistake apple has made ever

:thunk:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Mate what do you think every single electronic product in the world is right now?

everything is made in china but some things have very finicky QA and other things don't

Shaggar posted:

that's pretty racist

no one doubts Chinese manufacturing prowess

they doubt Chinese business culture, and the safety or verisimilitude of knockoffs made by the lowest bidder. that is a reasonable fear

pram
Jun 10, 2001
shagger making a bad faith argument :wth:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

im partial to the IEC 309 twistloks, like 560P7W

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

everything is made in china but some things have very finicky QA and other things don't

no one doubts Chinese manufacturing prowess

they doubt Chinese business culture, and the safety or verisimilitude of knockoffs made by the lowest bidder. that is a reasonable fear

its absolutely racist to assume because its Chinese it will be inferior when it would be just as likely to be inferior if it was American made. its fud spread by dongle makers like apple who don't want you buying superior, cheaper cables from better manufacturers.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

y’all should read poorly made in china instead of china daily

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

pram posted:

shagger making a bad faith argument :wth:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

its absolutely racist to assume because its Chinese it will be inferior when it would be just as likely to be inferior if it was American made. its fud spread by dongle makers like apple who don't want you buying superior, cheaper cables from better manufacturers.

1. all apple dongles, every drat one, is made in china. 100%. but apple cares about whether their customers houses burn down due to faulty power supplies. (their wall warts are really very impressive inside!)

2. it's not a race thing

china is a one-party state marked by endemic corruption. the court systems do not function for any foreign party, or any suit with a particularly well-connected defendant. it is routine for unscrupulous dealers to contaminate the domestic food supply, to say nothing of consumer goods made for export

in the united states, if you burn your customers houses down, you get sued, and possibly prosecuted. in china, if your products burn american houses down, nobody notices or cares

a key quibble: nothing from china with a UL symbol can be trusted, because UL has no ability to enforce their trademark in china.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Boiled Water posted:

y’all should read poorly made in china instead of china daily

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

think of it this way: it's not the ceiling that is different, but the floor.

china has built supercomputers, launched people into space (my favorite onion article btw), builds their own fighter jets, etc. and nearly every little bit of electronics you've ever bought was made in part in china. the country is perfectly capable of working to a very high standard, and their best work is at least approaching if not equal to the best work done in the western world.

the difference is that the worst work coming out of china is so much worse than the worst stuff here. i'd say this is partially due to an extreme attitude of Caveat Emptor in chinese business culture, and partially due to a severe lack of regulation and enforcement of the regs that do exist. if an american restaurant was caught skimming oil out of the sewers to re-use in their deep fryers, it would be national news for months and people would be going to prison left and right. an american company that made a set of jackstands from melted down zinc carburetors would not be allowed to put that product on sale, and if they faked the certification standards, again, people would be going to jail.

in chinese business, whether because of apathy or cultural inertia or corruption, you can generally always find someone who's willing to sell you a hammer for 390 dollars per 1000-units, shrugging and doing whatever they have to do to meet that price point. it will be cheap, and it will be lovely, but americans seem to really struggle with "you get what you pay for," for some reason.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

in chinese business, whether because of apathy or cultural inertia or corruption, you can generally always find someone who's willing to sell you a hammer for 390 dollars per 1000-units, shrugging and doing whatever they have to do to meet that price point. it will be cheap, and it will be lovely, but americans seem to really struggle with "you get what you pay for," for some reason.

you don't always get what you pay for, but you never get what you didn't pay for.

if someone quotes you an impossible price, don't suddenly expect the impossible

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
remember china is the country whose citizens fly across an ocean to buy infant formula in another country, because they cannot trust the formula found on their store shelves

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

1. all apple dongles, every drat one, is made in china. 100%. but apple cares about whether their customers houses burn down due to faulty power supplies. (their wall warts are really very impressive inside!)

2. it's not a race thing

china is a one-party state marked by endemic corruption. the court systems do not function for any foreign party, or any suit with a particularly well-connected defendant. it is routine for unscrupulous dealers to contaminate the domestic food supply, to say nothing of consumer goods made for export

in the united states, if you burn your customers houses down, you get sued, and possibly prosecuted. in china, if your products burn american houses down, nobody notices or cares

a key quibble: nothing from china with a UL symbol can be trusted, because UL has no ability to enforce their trademark in china.

Sagebrush posted:

think of it this way: it's not the ceiling that is different, but the floor.

china has built supercomputers, launched people into space (my favorite onion article btw), builds their own fighter jets, etc. and nearly every little bit of electronics you've ever bought was made in part in china. the country is perfectly capable of working to a very high standard, and their best work is at least approaching if not equal to the best work done in the western world.

the difference is that the worst work coming out of china is so much worse than the worst stuff here. i'd say this is partially due to an extreme attitude of Caveat Emptor in chinese business culture, and partially due to a severe lack of regulation and enforcement of the regs that do exist. if an american restaurant was caught skimming oil out of the sewers to re-use in their deep fryers, it would be national news for months and people would be going to prison left and right. an american company that made a set of jackstands from melted down zinc carburetors would not be allowed to put that product on sale, and if they faked the certification standards, again, people would be going to jail.

I award you 143 Shaggar points and Sagebrush sadly I must award you 277 Shaggar points. Please try to keep your score as low as possible while posting in yospos.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Salt Fish posted:

I award you 143 Shaggar points and Sagebrush sadly I must award you 277 Shaggar points. Please try to keep your score as low as possible while posting in yospos.

i don't think you understand what yospos is for

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Ok 143 shaggar points AND 2 'pissing off salt fish' points. You want to keep going? Tough guy??

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah I paid ten bucks a pop for those magsafe cables. I also buy Chinese rugged phones for reasonable prices. They don't have the ridiculous overengineered SoC horsepower that is so in vogue in the US cellular market because I guess people need 4GB of RAM on an octocore blah blah blah for their Candy Crush? However, for something that I use for emergency communications and the occasional map they do the job for a reasonable price. The problem is that what I want is not available from the mainstream American market because the American business community has gone full retard. Don't even get me started on the region locked LTE radios. That's not even to mention the goddamn bundled apps.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 23, 2018

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

I also buy Chinese rugged phones for reasonable prices. They don't have the ridiculous overengineered SoC horsepower that is so in vogue in the US cellular market because I guess people need 4GB of RAM on an octocore blah blah blah for their Candy Crush? However, for something that I use for emergency communications and the occasional map they do the job for a reasonable price. The problem is that what I want is not available from the mainstream American market because the American business community has gone full retard. Don't even get me started on the region locked LTE radios. That's not even to mention the goddamn bundled apps.

source ur quotes

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
So you believe that the Samsung Galaxy S9+ is worth paying $800 for?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

So you believe that the Samsung Galaxy S9+ is worth paying $800 for?

nobody in yospos thinks a knockoff is worth $800

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

no sarnsung is trash and the anroid ecosystem doesn’t inspire confidence. I use an Apple iPhone SE which is absolutely worth it’s cost

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

get a normal phone and a rugged case instead of some weirdo rugged phone that sends your info to China

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
lolk because your iPhone wasn't made in the factory next door

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

lol k, no name China android phones are basically the same as iPhones, cause they are both made in China. software is irrelevant and Qualcomm is somehow not a piece of poo poo. the phones that have been repeatedly found to be insecure and call home are actually fine, because it’s cheaper, and there’s no difference between trusting no-name corporations with razor thin margins (who are not obliged to care about our laws in the same way) and Apple

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah. I'll trust the commies before the profiteering gluttons any day of the week. /derail

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

2. it's not a race thing

apples power supplies have burnt their customers devices and this is why they no longer make magsafe cables.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
apple cables are also prone to cracking and fraying

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im honestly shocked that the stupid lightning to 3.5 dongle i use every day isnt dead af yet. i figured it would have fragged out in a week

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

if you want good you can make it in China

if you want bad you can make it in China

if you want your customers’ things to burst into flames, you can design it in California and get it manufactured in China

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
hell yeah connector chat

• Locked thread