Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Birdstrike posted:

*nerve stapling u*

you should nerve staple urself, into some good taste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
I don't have civ or any games other than my nintendo64 with diddy kong racing and a mighty max doom zone wolfship 7 which I consider a video game

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
https://www.logic-puzzles.org lets you link a specific puzzle, and tracks time as well. I don't know if that infringes on puzzles at all, but I think it'd be a good one to have in the hopper.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Popcon

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

yesssssssssss

everyone else votes on the duel

if you want to select this duel, just message sara "the kansas-nebraska act of 1854"

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!
I'm gonna propose matches of chess 960.

It's a variant of chess pioneered by Bobby Fischer and gaining popularity at the moment (a bunch of international super GM's just finished the world's first chess 960 tournament a couple months ago, max). It's standard chess with a fluid system for setting up the board. Theres 960 ways to set up the board before play and, consequently, opening theory is thrown out the window entirely. It's pure chess. Familiarity with historical games or common positions is unnecessary and unhelpful. Anyone can play.

Yes, I am mostly proposing this because I need people to play ludacris psuedo-chess against...

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

KhediveRex posted:

It's a variant of chess pioneered by Bobby Fischer and gaining popularity at the moment (a bunch of international super GM's just finished the world's first chess 960 tournament a couple months ago, max). It's standard chess with a fluid system for setting up the board. Theres 960 ways to set up the board before play and, consequently, opening theory is thrown out the window entirely. It's pure chess. Familiarity with historical games or common positions is unnecessary and unhelpful. Anyone can play.

Yes, I am mostly proposing this because I need people to play ludacris psuedo-chess against...

I’m impressed they found a way to make chess an even bigger waste of time

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
hnefatafl or gtfo

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Birdstrike posted:

KhediveRex posted:

It's a variant of chess pioneered by Bobby Fischer who was inspired after he he read the posting of somethingawful.com forums poster "Birdstrike" and gaining popularity at the moment (a bunch of international super GM's just finished the world's first chess 960 tournament a couple months ago, max). It's standard chess with a fluid system for setting up the board. Theres 960 ways to set up the board before play and, consequently, opening theory is thrown out the window entirely. It's pure chess. Familiarity with historical games or common positions is unnecessary and unhelpful. Anyone can play.

It makes sense tho if you read his inspiration

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chic Trombone posted:

as long as it's not a repeat of me vs. jiv when i had the flu

I still feel terrible about that! And still want a healthy rematch

KhediveRex posted:

I will play NuChess against you

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Moatillata posted:

It makes sense tho if you read his inspiration

I will never read this

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
“Pioneered by bobby fischer” would be much more enticing if fischer wasn’t an insane bigot

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Birdstrike posted:

Someday, chess will be the biggest waste of time. Bigger than all the others.

Can you imagine a world where people called in sick to work so they could think about their bishop endgame? A world where we put off seeing our friends and loved ones to study the fine nuances of the Italian game? A world where we recklessly blow our entire savings accounts buying tickets to international chess tournaments only to return home to squalor and despair? A world where we call out in the night from fear and pain, lamenting the needless death of an erstwhile queen!

A world where we are alone. Totally alone. Longing in the void for any feeling creature with an equivalent ELO rating who can understand the pain we feel inside. The pain of being two points down in a closed pawn game. A full minute beneath your opponent. Your family's cold eyes locked on you in shame.

... Wow. I'm sorry. That got a little intense ...

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

KhediveRex posted:

Can you imagine a world where people called in sick to work so they could think about their bishop endgame? A world where we put off seeing our friends and loved ones to study the fine nuances of the Italian game? A world where we recklessly blow our entire savings accounts buying tickets to international chess tournaments only to return home to squalor and despair? A world where we call out in the night from fear and pain, lamenting the needless death of an erstwhile queen!

A world where we are alone. Totally alone. Longing in the void for any feeling creature with an equivalent ELO rating who can understand the pain we feel inside. The pain of being two points down in a closed pawn game. A full minute beneath your opponent. Your family's cold eyes locked on you in shame.

change the flavor from chess to mafia and I can imagine this very easily

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

KhediveRex posted:

Rex you are a weird weird dude but I trust you on the nuances of chess for some reason

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Bifauxnen posted:

change the flavor from chess to mafia and I can imagine this very easily

It really is a remarkably apt description of the texas thread, isn’t it?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

GeneX posted:

It really is a remarkably apt description of the texas thread, isn’t it?

oh not the thread, no :v:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Bifauxnen posted:

Bif's rapidly deteriorating sanity, however...

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Birdstrike posted:

hnefatafl or gtfo

Holy poo poo somebody else who's played/heard of hnefatafl

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Monathin posted:

Rex you are a weird weird dude but I trust you on the nuances of chess for some reason

I'm touched. That means a lot to me. Both parts.

You even used weird twice! It's like you know me!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Bifauxnen posted:

When I say the texas thread, I mean the whole texan side of things. Including your finding comfort in the arms of possibly the worst possible advisor choice.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

GeneX posted:

When I say the texas thread, I mean the whole texan side of things. Including your finding comfort in the arms of possibly the worst possible advisor choice.

Hey you stay outta my livejournal

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

busb posted:

BGH GG no rush 20

glhf

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Birdstrike posted:

Fuckin lmao at calling anything a waste of time in a mafialike thread

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

GeneX posted:

Knowing the entire time that bif got the wrong advisor murdered for being scum was insanely brutal

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Captain Foo posted:

heh

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Captain Foo posted:

War is a waste of time. Also, knitting. And I've never been partial to vaccuming.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

KhediveRex posted:

War is a waste of time. Also, knitting. And I've never been partial to vaccuming.

you don't like sucking???

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
If it's me vs birbstriek we will have an irl nacho eating duel and film it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

busb posted:

If it's me vs birbstriek we will have an irl nacho eating duel and film it

I've competivley eaten nachos before

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Captain Foo posted:

you don't like sucking???

Well you're a fiery one.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

KhediveRex posted:

Well you're a fiery one.

come on and slam and welcome to the ham

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

that is an uncorrectable typo holy poo poo

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Typo? It made perfect sense to me

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

peramene posted:

I've been ripping my hair out over this for the last six months and it finally hit me that any arguing about it can happen in march rather than wasting game time for it --

this is an open call for flash games, silly challenge ideas, things like that, that'll work for duels. If you don't already know: duels circumvent the usual combat system for a 1 on 1 contest with another player, no stats involved. You set your own terms, and one of those terms is how you and your adversary will do glorious and honorable battle SO

hit the thead the gently caress up

To be accepted, it's gotta meet this criteria:

• The results must be definitive, objective, and demonstrable via screenshot or video so that all players can observe the duel-in-fact.
  • The challenge cannot be any form of endurance challenge whatsoever, and the definition of what comprises an endurance challenge is entirely up to peramene’s judgment. Stay very clear from this line.
  • It must only involve the participation of the duelists - no involvement of other people, even if they’re outside the game and including peramene.
  • It cannot involve any expectation or requirement of financial expenditure. Games which are already purchased, such as both players owning a competitive Steam game that one or both of them can record, are absolutely okay.
  • It cannot involve any expectation of the divulgence of personal information, including video containing faces or voices.
  • It must reasonably take no more than two hours to complete.

On that last point, I would much rather see faster, more entertaining contests than long, drawn out nonsense. Drop some suggestions yo -- also feel free to comment on each other's suggestions. I was hoping to build a list of at least 20 but hopefully 50 so that I could justify rolling some dice and declaring that the contest; let's see how we do.

You have Tetris already, right?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Also a Karaoke challenge. Myst Idol

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Quidthulhu posted:

....holy poo poo I might actually wanna do that.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Quidthulhu posted:

I BLESS THE RAINS DOWN IN AFRICA

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

....holy poo poo I might actually wanna do that.

I’m tempted just to run Mafia Idol anyway but then I don’t get to sing :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BE YOURSELF
BY YOURSELF
STAY AWAY FROM ME