Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Well, filled out my form and *then* read the rules. Looking forward to blindly stumbling my way through all of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Can you give some past examples, such as what egg game actually was?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

https://www.logic-puzzles.org lets you link a specific puzzle, and tracks time as well. I don't know if that infringes on puzzles at all, but I think it'd be a good one to have in the hopper.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Birdstrike posted:

hnefatafl or gtfo

Holy poo poo somebody else who's played/heard of hnefatafl

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Meinberg posted:

Homestuck Trivia Quizzes via Sporcle or QWOP. Duels and violence are bad and should feel bad.

GIRP could make for a good duel.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

sniper4625 posted:

Moiety and some dupes have incorrect opinions about the current justice system, and are currently attempting to raid the area.

That's an interesting way to frame things.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

That's an interesting way to frame things.

Given, y'know, that you walked up and attacked me out of nowhere.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

sniper4625 posted:

Maybe everyone in Varban just settle down and we can get to the bottom of this without any need to restort to further assault and bamboozlery.

(Also whoops I accidentally quote-edited to add a thing above and have already fessed up to the GM, who has indicated I should post this mea culpa explanatory note.)

I have no objections to this.

And sniper, you really should check on these things before taking a single source on their word. I had informed Carter I would be sticking around.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I can confirm it.

I can also confirm that apparently, Wildlanders are violent assholes.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

50 pounds of bread posted:

Okay, is wildlander a racial slur or...

Third faction kind of thing, apparently. They attacked both sides indiscriminately, and lost an envoy in the process when the Loyalists retaliated. That is not a name that we made up.

sniper4625 posted:

One of the Wildlander Envoys attempting to free the prisoners was killed in the struggle.

Okay, you're going to have to clarify here--I was under the impression that you initiated combat. Did you show up and get attacked? Is that what happened? Or are you just framing it that way to look good.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

50 pounds of bread posted:

Are wildlanders NPC's or players?

I thought NPCs, but judging by

xiw posted:

You started the fight and killed Dakris and now you're saying 'but YOU stop attacking'

I assume they're pkayers.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Situation as I understand it: after Carter left, I stayed behind to take a look around and see if there was anything noteworthy in the area. Suddenly, before I have a chance to do so, I'm set upon by Sniper. The initiation of combat was the first time I was aware of wildlanders being in the atea.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

xiw posted:

Sniper, I'll leave if you let the wilderlanders go. Now that I can see the masks you and Hats are wearing things are clearer - I don't want to get into your civil war.

I'd be a bit more sympathetic if you hadn't, in the course of your frankly ill-conceived plan, stabbed me.

Regardless, I have no wish to be part of this conflict, and I will be withdrawing at this time. However, as compensation for the injury you have inflicted upon me, I am going to ask that you--and your kin--do not harm or hinder my cousin Baza at any point from this day forward. I believe this should be more than fair, yes?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

sniper4625 posted:

Hats if you wouldn't mind identifying your own party, I can be sure to not engage you as you withdraw.

It's an open secret at this point. Moiety.

I mean, it sounds like someone died there recently, so maybe it's not too bad, altogether.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

That second bit was regarding the beach, quote didn't happen right.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Alright, there's obviously a lot of tension right now. I know nobody needs to be told that. There's too many deep-seated disagreements and conflicts for that not to be the case. And with how little space we've got left to us, that there is (regrettably) going to be violence involved, though I would urge people to consider duels for conflict resolution, though that won't hold up forever.

Can we at least have a general agreement, unenforceable though it may be, that if there's going to be fighting, that it at least be fighting for something? I am not happy that I was caught up in fighting that I had no stake in, and less happy that I was injured in the process, but I can understand that Sniper felt it was his duty to prevent a prison break by any means necessary, just as Xiw felt responsible to free Rabo. There is purpose there.

But pure vengeance, or worse, violence for the sake of what somebody might do, will accomplish nothing but bathing the islands in blood in a self-consuming cycle. Perhaps it is inevitable, given the situation, but we need not submit to it immediately. Mordiceius, I urge you to reconsider your course of action.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

An envoy has died in the course of the fighring.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Sniper, I think people would have been a little more amenable to your case if you hadn't immediately resorted to lethal force.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Krysmphoenix posted:

I was under the impression that third party witnesses (that is, other than sniper and the player who's Envoy was killed) had sniper attacking first.

I admit I could be mistaken.

Does anyone have evidence or testimony of who attacked first?

Sniper your testimony has been received already.

I'm the 3rd party in question, and as far as I am aware, it was Sniper that initiated hostilities. He also seems to be the one claiming to have damage me, after I made it clear that I didn't intend to attack.

I would add that I've been in the area since before the communicator grid went online (as others, including Carter, can confirm), and I was not aware of any plan to free Rabo (who was asking everyone to free him). Given that xiw wouldn't have had to coordinate with anyone, I'm honestly confused as to how Sniper heard about what was going on, although he clearly did, unless it was an excuse he came up with ahead of time and a gigantic coincidence that it actually happened).

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Okay, I couldn't remember if he was there. Still, perhaps I am simply dense, but I didn't pick up on the fact that there would be an actual attempt made. His phrasing lead me to believe he was acting on prior intelligence received as opposed to reacting to something he witnessed, particularly given that he implicated me when I had nothing to do with it.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

While I'm not longer in the area, I can confirm that as I left, I saw Sniper shoot and kill a retreating Wildlander.

Also, I must announce, with some sadness, that Gosper has passed away. Earthblood sprang up beneath the feet of Ulam, one of my envoys, and Gosper heroically knocked him out of the way, saving his life. Unfortunately, he then succumbed to the earthblood. It is a terrifying sight I'll not soon forget.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Kashuno posted:

Gosper is a player character?

My envoy

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Another check-in from Gehn's lab--I hope my cousins are all safe.

I looked through Gehn's notes about the state of Riven, and it's, uh, not great. All of the usual suspects are listed--earthquakes, whatever's driving the animals mad, earthblood, steam vents, magma, so on and so forth. But he also writes about something called "Black Decay". So... if you think you come across whatever that is, avoid it, and tell everyone else about it. It's distinct from what we've encountered so far, if Gehn's anything to go by.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

You're in the lab?

Sorry, I should restate that--I'm on 233, where Gehn has kind of another lab. My bad.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

This is rather late, but as a general announcement--I'm going to be heading into the jungle on Rivenin to try and deal with the decay there. Unless I'm extremely off the mark, the animals that have been going crazy lately are a symptom of that decay, and if we cull the numbers of the... infected, I suppose, that should help to alleviate matters. Furthermore, while I'm not about to try the meat of something that's been touched by decay, that influence might... emphasis on might mean that the hides are more resilient. We're going to need safety equipment if we're going to be interacting with decay regularly, and I think any materials we can gather will be worthwhile.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

peramene posted:

The Kaywinnet Lee Miller Memorial Protocols have been suspended.

Shiiiiiiiit.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Teland posted:

To clarify, I was thinking if there's a material present in this age which is capable of withstanding forces that are strong enough to probably kill us all, it could be useful to know about. Did anyone recognize what the door was made out of? Does the area outside the door (without opening it) seem safe?

I think that's less about the door being super durable, and more about it being fixed in place so it doesn't get pulled in.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

This is Conway, reporting in from Allapon. It's not horribly decay-ridden right now, which is nice, but we're going to have some problems in the future. I'm going to have to start a ways back, though, to sum up what I've been doing, because I know I'm not the most talkative.

After leaving the early conflict at the prison, I went to Allapon, where Gosper was killed by a sudden upwelling of Earthblood. This loss is pretty much what cemented this as my long term project. At Harsha's request, I was part of the initial group that went to 233, where I didn't do much that was noteworthy--I found out about the Black Decay like a day before it hit Rivenin, but that was it. I did help with the hunt in the jungle (personally I think the traditional hunting methods are crap, but I went along with them), and I used the hides from that hunt to make some safety equipment, and yesterday I was finally able to return to Allapon to look into Gosper's death.

Specifically, I went to the spot he died and started digging until I found something interesting--specifically, it was a big metal pipe, which had been overpressurized and exploded as a result. Said pipe was full of Earthblood. So given that this was at the cliffs, and we've had reports of this system from the temple, I have to assume it stretches through the entire island. Left unchecked, this is only going to get worse.

So we know why it's popping up all over the place on Allapon, but we still don't have any idea where it's actually coming from. I think it's either some kind of... runoff? Some byproduct some some sort of industrial thing, or it's some kind of natural occurrence--probably from the Star Fissure--that's leaking into Allapon, and is leaking harder now for some reason. I'm going to keep looking into this, but it's going to take me some time to figure out what to do next. Does anyone have anything we could use to try and map the pipes without digging them all out?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Does anyone in the Forge crew have any ideas about ways to track pipes without digging it all up? It sounds like the pipes at the Temple would've originally connected to Rivenin. We're going to need to figure out some way to map it.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

tithin posted:

Conway, Bark, Nurtis

My preference for the coming turns is to get on with helping to solve our mutual survival problem and I would like to join Yeka to do this.

I am a little disturbed by the thoughts that Tero is dead, and that he may have been murdered by one of the Ferezen and tried to pin it on us, his family, who I believe are beyond reproach.

One of us should investigate his death and find the guilty party.

What are your next steps?

I'm going to continue to investigate the Earthblood Pipes. While I agree that Teri's death should be investigated, my own ability to do so is approximately nil. I'm terrible at remembering people, or knowing who said what.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

KhediveRex posted:

Yacht Club is already tackling this question and we will have results to share tomorrow.

Sorry, are you saying you'll have results on the extent of the pipes, or results on finding a way to map them?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

hey conway, brah

what were your orders going into the night of tero's death?

I was at the jungle, crafting the gloves that I'm now using to safely handle Earthblood. Ulam, my envoy, was at the Rivenin village, scouting (he would've been helping with the cleansing efforts, but it was already under control).

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Testing, tesing... Hello everyone, this is Conway, reporting in from the Perch on Allapon! Ulam and I are alive and well, Olero is alive but less well (he had a very close call with an earthblood eruption). We've also got (unconfirmed) reports of a bunch of people dead in the Temple, which I'm really not sure what to make of, because that space is supposed to be protected. All told, it's pretty empty around here. It'll be a real pain to clean up, but obviously it isn't a priority compared to the weird stuff going on elsewhere. And it looks like the bridge to Rivenin is back up? Not sure about that.

I got caught up with making sure that Olero didn't die, so I don't have much in the way of personal results to report. I did make another small step on a long-term project, which I'm going to have to ask for some help on because otherwise this is going to take me forever, so...

Could everyone who's been in (or witnessed) battle please share a map of the battlefield? It's purely a hunch, and it could easily come to nothing, but I feel like there's some significance to the layout of the battlegrounds. I really don't have much to show for it yet, but I'm also really lacking in data. If you want to share it in public, that's great, if you want to arrange a trade of information in private that's fine too.

And some things I'd like addressed...

Yacht Club, do you have any results on tracking the pipes? I'm still not sure if you were mapping them or devising a way to do so, but either way I'd like to hear what you got on this.

Union members, what did you get from the popular vote?

Does anyone know what happened to sever 233's connection to Varban?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Let's learn a little more than "actual nothing" about what's on the other side before we start evacuation.

Also, it's interesting to me that the investigation of the hole on 233 revealed Earthblood in... wherever that is. It suggests that it's not something sourced from Riven that's been exacerbated by decay, but more like something that might be flooding into our age.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

busb posted:

:siren: Attn: Conway :siren:

it comes to this.

In my investigations i have found several facts out about the murder of poor sweet Tero with a Clan Gavo poison dart.
I hereby challenge you to a duel!

If I win, you must publicly tell the truth to the thread if you were responsible for Tero's death, and if you were you must surrender yourself to the Orb for imprisonment.
Should you win, you may take all of my envoys, permanently.

I Challenge you to a game of Roundball, in honour of Tero's name (https://fumbbl.com/ - Free online Bloodbowl.)
Each player will play with a new starting team.
As the challengee you may pick the race of my starting team first, and then i will pick yours.

If you do not accept this duel, i will take it as a tacit admission of guilt.

J'ACCUSE

I accept, with a small adjustment to the terms--
Should you win, the stakes remain the same.
Should I win (this is not going to happen, but I can dream), I may take all of your envoys permanently... and I must publicly tell the truth to the thread as to whether I was responsible for Tero's death. And yes, if guilty, I must surrender myself to the Orb for imprisonment.

I don't want this doubt clouding the air any longer than necessary.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I mean, I'm fine with how things worked out, being on the winning side and all, and I wasn't a particularly involved participant anways.

But to have seen so much bloodshed, to see so many good people die for what they believed in, to see the war settled as, essentially, a complete afterthought to a personal grudge is... well, my feelings on it are complicated, even as someone who benefits. To be on the losing side, and see all that hard work casually thrown away... I think that to dismiss that frustration as illegitimate is dangerously flippant.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

To be clear, I don't share the grudge against the Strangers that many seem to harbor. You have your own agendas, yes, but I daresay that goes for most everyone. That is simply human nature, whatever your native Age. And ultimately, I would be happy if the civil war to end here, anticlimactic thoigh it may be.

But I do ask that you try to consider the feelings of my fellow Riven'i and Rivenese. You may find them misguided and misinformed. But the feelings themselves are quite real, and will not be easily dismissed.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Meinberg posted:

Fair enough, fair enough. I'm giving a stink-eye at the people who told you to keep the information about the wahrks a secret, though. The biggest stink-eye.

Can you share what your idea is?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Tolly Totes posted:

I would like to meet with some strangers at some point, I think we might have more to offer each other than I first thought.

I’ll go clean up the Perch I guess. With my envoys I have 5. I need 1 more to clean the Perch. What are your numbers on Allapon.

I can contribute the last person. And there's three, maybe four people (envoys unknown) on Allapon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I know that a dart with my clan's markings were why I was under suspicion, but I have to confess I'm confused as to why Tero would do that.