Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Max posted:

Never mind the fact that if it were not for me, Annie would have been delivered to you, absque vita. With me, with us, she has life, and a chance to see her sister once again.

*pauses, getting the weird feeling that she’s being talked about*

(So so hype!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Survey sent! :peanut:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

*gives Kashuno two Tobbs costumes*

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Kashuno posted:

:wow: MMT killing people for the game even starts

Just to be clear, I love everyone :peanut:

Podima posted:

I'm speaking for myself here and not with my Mod Hat on - peramene has put a TON of time and effort into prepping for this game (flavor included), and will put a ton more into the actual running of the game. If you come in with a plan to just shitpost and gently caress around with blatant off-flavor stuff, you're doing her and the other players a disservice. I don't recommend going down that route!

...even Podima. :sadpeanut:

One of my favorite aspects of Myst (borrowed from other FRGs) that I'm pretty sure will be back in Riven was the encouragement to write out confessionals to document what we/our characters were thinking throughout the game. This process helped get me immersed in the game, and it made the post-game process like a million times funner because I got to see what other people were doing/thinking outside of my own sphere of knowledge. Reading the confessionals for me, even a year later, is like reading a good fiction book, except that I was in it.

For those who were in FS/N mafia:

quote:

me (re: Pod) -

I didn't even realize half the stuff I was feeling, but it all started pouring out. I'm concerned about the idea that we know there's a Wincon out there associated with making sure 2/3rds of the game dies, and how the way we're acting as a group makes me feel like we're being manipulated. Or, as they used to say back in the day, we're "being led around by scum". I mean, if you count all of the people that the group has deemed "evil" at some point (Rarity, Viva, DBD, AR, ANarc, Kash, bags) that have been killed, it feels to me like we should have had a solid team by now. I mean, right?

---

Pod (re: me) -

- If she tells me her plan and it's reasonable - I will probably Wound her.
- If she doesn't tell me her plan - she dies.
- If she tells me her plan and I feel she might be trying to hoodwink me - she dies.
- If I feel even the slightest bit paranoid that she could pull something ridiculous off - unfortunately (sorry Shelly) she has to die.

I can't tell people how to live their lives, but I can say that this game will probably be a ton funner if you let yourself get sucked in.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

50 pounds of bread posted:

Are you going to roleplay someone poking things through a chain link fence?

post/av combo

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Prince of Space posted:

Didn't the win condition of the original Myst game involve rejecting the false binary of the blue and red brothers and picking the green guy instead - their father? I never got that far in the original, to be honest. In Riven, I remember zooming in really close on this huge micro/telescope and destroying the universe. That and some scary tusked whalesharks...

What I'm getting at is that it's all an unfamiliar blur to me, and that sometimes people join Mafia-like games for the same reasons they play a Myst game: they want to poke at a puzzle until something good or something absolutely terrible happens.

Hi prince! Love your new avatar.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

curiousCat posted:

I saw Myst.
I saw everything.
I know who you are too, Carter.

You saw us on Myst?

curiousCat posted:

I am not a monster. Neither is Ammy.

Who is Ammy? Do they have another name?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

curiousCat posted:

After the fact. I just reviewed the logs.
All of them, Leanansidhe.

:sadpeanut: :sadpeanut: :sadpeanut:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

curiousCat posted:

After the fact. I just reviewed the logs.
All of them, Leanansidhe.

May I ask what conclusions you drew about me from the logs you read?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

curiousCat posted:

Someone I would like to meet very much.

I'm not promising or committing to anything yet, but for the sake of information-gathering.

If you and I were to hypothetically meet in person, would I or should I have any valid reason to fear for my safety?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

curiousCat posted:

I have no quarrel with you.

There me be one thing I am willing to say publicly that may be convincing to you, but I do not want to drop it without some assurance.

I...

Exactly what type of assurance are you looking for? Again, I can't promise anything, especially anything that involves others - but I'm willing to hear you out and have no desire to harm you if you have none to harm me.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Flying Leatherman posted:

Cat: why are you looking for me?

post/av combo :j:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

curiousCat posted:

I am no monster. I have no dog in this war.
An assurance that we would meet. And that you would help me speak with Verus Rettig.

If Verus were to meet you, would he be in any sort of danger?

Birdstrike posted:

Isn’t it all a bit strange how there were only 4 strangers but now there’s mechano-men and at the same time Leandhsidgfdghze magically shows up?

My arriving here doesn't have anything to do with any of that. I've been here, I just didn't feel comfortable posting here until I knew a bit more about Riven.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

curiousCat posted:

There me be one thing I am willing to say publicly that may be convincing to you, but I do not want to drop it without some assurance.

---

I am no monster. I have no dog in this war.
An assurance that we would meet. And that you would help me speak with Verus Rettig.

Will the thing that you can share publicly help us trust you?

If so, the best I can do is give my word that I'll try to make such a meeting happen. If you're not willing to share without an assurance, I understand and hope there are no hard feelings.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

curiousCat posted:

...I built the apparatus that powers the communicators from 233. It fell with me. Gehn stole it, and made modifications. Or someone did.

I appreciate this and will do my part - I'll be in touch later.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

GeneX posted:

Oh, and some stuff about getting Carter to kill Chell and how much he adores Lea, but it's mostly just him gloating.

I.... I'm not sure I know quite how to react to that.

Should our paths cross someday and you still have that diary, I would very much like to see it.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Yes?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

GeneX posted:

Lea hasn't acknowledged my desire to drop the journal off in her hands. Though I'm loathe to do it — because I think you're a rather miserable person — it might be best to just give it to you so you can make some sense of the more technical observations within. Should I run into you, it's yours to hold on to, if you'd like.

I apologize - I had lost track of things and forgotten to reply to this (i've been asleep).

I would like to be able to read that journal and would appreciate it if you could get it to me somehow. And if you could please lay off needling my sister? I know I can't force you to stop, but I'd appreciate it if you would? :ohdear:

GulagDolls posted:

what is a wish you desire, that i can grant

A linking book to Sa?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

GeneX posted:

Are you physically present on this Age, or is delivering the journal pretty much equivalent to, well, getting you out of whereever you are?

I'm physically present on this Age. I want to tell you where I'm going to be, but right now I'm concerned about your ability to co-exist around my sister, which kind of complicates things. :ohdear:

I really wish I could just trust you by default, but you've probably read about how that's turned out for me in the past.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

GulagDolls posted:

I don't have the power to make a magic book. How do you feel about tickets to...the big game

Where is the big game being played?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

GeneX posted:

I have no interest in hurting your sister, only learning her motives. I don’t intend to attack anyone, possibly excepting Saya if she is somehow even more animated in person.

I assume you’ll all be meeting Artemis, and I’m busy right now, but I’ll send an envoy with the journal at some point, instead, should you remain afraid.

Can you send an envoy to Kiston with the book and give it to my friend who will be there?

I'm sorry, but I'm not currently at the point where I can comfortably disclose where I'm going.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

GeneX posted:

My envoys are a bit tied up at the moment, unfortunately.

I don't think there's any immediate need for you to get your hands on the journal, so in...2 days? 2 days sounds about right.

In 2 days I'll be able to do the weird dead-drop thing. Might be tomorrow; I'll keep you posted.

I appreciate it!

Bifauxnen posted:

... oh wait, that's backwards.

:ohdearsass:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

I'm an open loving book to anyone who loving talks to me like a human being instead of concocting some elaborate fanfiction in their hosed up head

your face is the catastrophe

GeneX posted:

Your other insult was better.

May I request that you two don't engage each other for a little while? :ohdearsass:

I feel like the age collapsing is an "all hands on deck" situation and arguing isn't helping.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

curiousCat posted:

Two things:

I met Verus. Thank you for your help, Leanansidhe.

Also, ow.

I hope everything turned out ok!

Why "ow"? Are you alright?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

:psyboom:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Max posted:

Hey strangers why the radio silence?

That's my default setting!

Max posted:

I do know that Artemis' last bit of footage she reviewed had to do with Verus and what he did back during our expedition (he knows what I'm talking about.) Be aware of that.

He brought it up to us earlier. I...

I think people make mistakes, and it's hard for me to write people off entirely on the basis of those mistakes.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Natural 20 posted:

LC - 351 9 34 12 - 13 - 11 2 32 31 - 62 63 33 31 - 84 52 - 81 13 202 55 - 13 455 12. 111 33 121 45 - 84 86 85 12
AC - 7 - 52 - 153 16 17 51 - 11 23 23 51 - 54 31 - 14 72 101 31. 52 19 74 - 131 42 13 86

*somehow manages to look embarrassed despite not being in physical proximity*

I... I don't think I ever knew exactly how to decipher this. (:350:)

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Prince of Space posted:

Strangers, how can we reach you? There needs to be a degree of transparency across the isles, so that we all know what we should each be doing in these increasingly dangerous times.

I'm at the forge with my sister!

For what it's worth - you seem very nice and my gut says I can trust you, but I've been burned in the past and it's hard to forget that. I apologize if I seem standoffish, that's not my intent.

50 pounds of bread posted:

Can you blame them with all of the open secrecy the strangers have shown? I don't blame saya and her crew following harsha to 233. We are all from riven, you are not, we dont know the strangers intentions. The secrecy you shove right in our faces makes it easy to distrust.

I am here in an attempt to find a way to save or safely evacuate the people of Riven, and I mean no one here any harm.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

GeneX posted:

Okay, the strangers treating us like pawns is bad. Sometimes it feels (intentional or not) as though they act like we all just exist to the side, and they, the real people here, will solve everything themselves.

But so is treating them that way, yeah?

I'm not... I don't speak for anyone other than myself.

I apologize if my fear of opening up to someone I can't trust comes across as arrogance or standoffishness. :ohdear:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

sentimental snail posted:

the answer is always 1. Na3

*involuntarily twitches*

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

((Don't tell people that, my job is hard enough already :ohdear:))

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Max posted:

Annie,

The cave right by where Corn's body was is down in a dangerous Ravine, in 233. Being outside here is dangerous though, do you have the ability to make some environmental suits? Or your sister?

We're still in the brainstorming phase regarding what we're working on tonight, but that's definitely one of the priorities on the list. We'll let you know!

Tolly Totes posted:

How many of you were to start with? 20? There are 5 now? Who caused those deaths?

:sadpeanut:

I understand that tempers are high but... *pauses to consider her words carefully*

We all want the same thing, and I feel like we need to put aside our conflicts and recognize that if we don't stop the decay and/or find a way off Riven, nothing else matters. If people have grudges, this might be a wonderful time to bury the hatchet* and start over from scratch?

*((metaphorically, not literally :j:))

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

KhediveRex posted:

((Hallo there Riven Friends! I'm getting ready to spend the next two days on the road moving to a new state. It's all very exciting.

I'm not gonna be around much this weekend, I'll basically just be able to check in during the evenings. So, in advance, thanks to anyone who helps anyone else do anything, and best of luck to everyone. I'll see you all on Monday.))

((Have a good move / enjoy the roadtrip!))

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I just wrote a confessional about my failed attempt to crack the code, so there's that :eng99:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

I just wrote a confessional about my failed attempt to crack the code, so there's that :eng99:

errr diary entry. same diff.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Natural 20 posted:

I would be incredibly impressed if you managed to decode something I specifically tailored to one person.

:eng99:

Asiina posted:

Lea, I'm arranging a pickup on the way by to Rivenin.

Sounds good - to be clear, will you be taking our friend where she needs to go?

Prince of Space posted:

Sound fine by me! Thank you for orchestrating this. I shall be meeting with Kumbi in Enketon's Forge, then.

Hello Rhenn! If it's allright with you, I will be in the forge and would like to look over the notes with Kumbi as well?

I know I'm a stranger to this place and that we don't know each other too well, but I can give you my word that I mean no harm and am interested strictly in the name of science / finding a way to keep Riven stable.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Prince of Space posted:

You are - as they say - one of the "good ones," Leanansidhe. I would be glad to share Gehn's notes with you!

At the end of the day I will be handing what notes I can bring over to Kumbi, but I shall attempt to share the notes with you as well.

I don't know who "they" are but tell them I appreciate it! :)

It's possible we'll have Komp-Nikints at the forge as well, maybe use "give the notes to Komp or his closest representative"?

((I was misunderstanding something he was asking me last night and he said his internet access would be light today, hence my not being sure :ohdear:))

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

boo hoo hoo, my world is collapsing around me but I don't know how I can cope with the real threat which is some stranger I dont know not being NICE enough to THE ONE rear end in a top hat WHO WAS TRYING TO PISS HER OFF ON PURPOSE IN A PRETTY loving DISGUSTING WAY drat maybe Chell had a point

:ohdearsass:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I... *long pause*

If people could please allow my sister a bit of leeway in these trying times, I would personally appreciate it. :ohdearsass:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Natural 20 posted:

Take the letter I gave you and look at each word. Each word is given a number, so the first word is 1. Each letter within each word is then assigned a second number. So word 1 letter 1 would show as 11.

I tried that! Was 351 9 32 14 supposed to be "L(sister)we"?