Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I bet you heard your notification bells ringing! The spring season is almost here, and that means new TV! Count on Netflix to bring you the good stuff. The service is proud to bring Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events back for a second season! On March 30, the show will be covering the next five books in the acclaimed series. Go alert your friends and they'll be ringing your doorbell for a viewing party soon!

O. Lucafont
Reporting for Visually Fresh Drama

The world is quiet here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, based on the children's book series of the same name, follows the adventures of the three orphaned Baudelaire children as they dart from guardian to guardian, enduring terrible trials and outwitting an evil count out for their fortune, while getting to the bottom of the mystery behind their parents' death.

Consisting of 13 books and a few world-building supplements, the second season of the Netflix Original Series is adapting books 5 through 9, consisting of The Austere Academy, The Ersatz Elevator, The Vile Village, The Hostile Hospital, and The Carnivorous Carnival.

Along the way, they will encounter:

• Valedictorians fearing detention
  • Vertically falling deaths
  • A village of foul devotees
  • Virtually few dentists
  • Various freaks and daredevils

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psbdT3kS8mY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0QIw3Sb4nA

Violet Baudelaire, the eldest. (Melissa Weissman) Inventive, a word which here means "able to create and build any contraption needed to succeed."
Klaus Baudelaire, the middle (Louis Hynes) Well-read, a phrase which here means "able to read the contents of an entire library in one or two weeks."
Sunny Baudelaire, the youngest (Presley Smith, voices Tara Strong) Sharp, a word which here means "possessing a pointed tooth for self defense."

Mr. Arthur Poe, the banker in charge of the Baudelaire estate. (K. Todd Freeman) Oblivious, a word which here means "unaware that the Baudelaires' lives are constantly in danger."

Count Olaf, a man after the Baudelaire fortune. (Neil Patrick Harris) Cunning, a word which here means "a vile man who cannot be trusted and who must be stopped at any cost."

Lemony Snicket, the author. (Patrick Warburton) Our narrator, a word which here means "a man who has given up everything to relay the terrible story of three orphans."

SPOILER RULES

quote:

OK, here's what we're going to try as a test. Some people are not happy with the go-wild aspect of the Netflix threads so we're going to try a different approach. If you have general thoughts on the show that's fine. If you are doing specific reactions to episodes they will go into labeled spoiler tags with the episode you are on or have completed for the first 72 hours. If you haven't gotten to that episode then don't click on the spoiler. This is just a trial for Daredevil and if it doesn't work we'll just go back to the old way from now on. And now an example post:

So far the show is good. I enjoy this show so far through episode 10. It is a fine television program.

1x10
The thing that happens in this episode certainly happened. And how it tied back into what they were saying in episode 3 was definitely a cool thing. I think the villain that appeared in this episode and did the villainy thing was bad. He should be punched by the Daredevil and have to go to jail.

The 1x10 is just the episode you're up to. You can write all about episode four if you want, but if you let something slip that came out later and you forget and it maybe happened in episode six that's why you still put episode 10 and not episode 4. Get it? Hope it works. And if not sorry!

Also, please avoid book spoilers for books past the first four.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 8, 2018

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Woah I got scooped

This season's gonna own

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
this is gonna be so fuckin good

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
But will they incorrectly explain the difference between literally and figuratively this time?

Tbh I did _not_ feel the first season of this at all, particularly The Wide Window. (Alfre Woodard is a great actress, but she's struggled hard as Aunt Josephine, and the episode dragged badly, though the first season was plagued by basic structural problems in general.)

I'm hopeful though, partially because I trust the production crew to improve, partially because I really liked The Reptile Room, and mostly because Lucy Punch rules.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Personally I thought season 1 was almost everything I ever could've hoped for. The trailers for 2 look even better. What a long month this will be.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Have they ever explained why they split up each book into two episodes instead of just making each episode two hours long?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Probably because a viewer binging the series is more likely to go "Just one more episode" more often if the just one more episode is an hour long as opposed to two.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I'm really excited for Season 2, Season 1 was about as perfect an adaptation as I could imagine, particularly being able to do more with the characters, and I hope Season 2 continues that trend, especially with how amazing Olaf's troupe were in Season 1.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, I was not expecting this show would be something that I can’t wait for. Gonna binge the hell out of this when it drops. The cast and visuals are fantastic.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm rewatching season 1 and I forgot that Count Olaf refers to the movie theater as a "godforsaken nickelodeon." Lol.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Behind the scenes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8ruD045ybs

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

God I love the set design on this show.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

One more day of happiness.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Season one was had such a vast fidelity difference from the vile first dramatization, and made binging it for a very fun day.

Can't wait to binge the second over the weekend too.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is that Trent from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Finished my rewatch of season 1, and man, that ending song was kinda super appropriate for January 2017.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

S2 Episode 1:
Starting out with a Pony Party joke. A bad good beginning.

Episode 4: While I still think it was a mistake not casting Paul F Tompkins and Paget Brewster as Jerome and Esme, casting White Tahani was definitely a stroke of genius. Nathan Fillion was great as Jacques, too (Commenting on casting)

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Mar 30, 2018

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

S2E1: I liked the joke about the passage of time between seasons.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

S2E3: "saw 20 minutes of a very confusing movie about zombies"

I love all the inane yet intricate callbacks

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Did the new librarian character ever get a name? I didn't catch one. Only finished episode 2 so far.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Episode 3 answered my question and let me just say: oh poo poo

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

One thing I do like about this season is that the acting feels a lot more natural, especially NPH, who I felt was too NPH AS Count Olaf instead of melting into the character, now he feels more like Count Olaf. Carmalita is perfect casting too.

2X02 "Those who can't do, teach is SUCH a savage line, holy poo poo"

Solaris Knight fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 30, 2018

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I finished and they went and made it more tragic than the books those jerks.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Regy Rusty posted:

I finished and they went and made it more tragic than the books those jerks.

I'm only halfway through but the moment with 2x04 Lemony and Jacques in the car together was heartbreaking.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I've just started and 2x01 Holy poo poo, referencing the alternate cover of The Unauthorized Autobiography is a deep loving cut

2x02 Holy poo poo Nathan Fillion as Jacques Snicket.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 31, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Episode 3 answered my question and let me just say: oh poo poo

Holy poo poo

E: General Larry is the best addition to this adaptation, I swear.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 31, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Only watched the first episode but my God it's even better than I feared.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Oh man, I'm 100% here for Roger Bart doing a full-on Richard Kind impression as Vice-Principal Nero.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I completely forgot Nathan Fillion was in this season!

Half way through and this is awesome

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

caligulamprey posted:

Oh man, I'm 100% here for Roger Bart doing a full-on Richard Kind impression as Vice-Principal Nero.

At first I legit thought it was Dan Aykroyd

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

2X05 Officer Luciana should not look as good as she does, Esme's been a delight all season :allears:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
The Shirley Jackson joke was good as hell (ep 5)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

exmarx posted:

The Shirley Jackson joke was good as hell (ep 5)

I completely lost it it was amazing

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm really into this season, after not feeling most of last season at all.

Lucy Punch knocked it out of the park.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

At first I legit thought it was Dan Aykroyd

Took me forever and then I recognized him as Curtis, the front desk guy at the hotel from the ninth season of How I Met Your Mother.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm really into this season, after not feeling most of last season at all.

Lucy Punch knocked it out of the park.

Lucy Punch is someone I never heard of but she's a treasure, and she has excellent chemistry with NPH

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

So apparently there is an actual answer to what's in the sugar bowl. Maybe he's pulling a leg, but he seems to be being fairly straightforward. I only read through the books a couple times as a kid- were there any decent theories out there as to what was in it?

It's always a bummer how unsatisfying this show can be when it's living up to it's name :( – RIP Nathan Fillion.

I still love this show. Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

EatinCake posted:

So apparently there is an actual answer to what's in the sugar bowl. Maybe he's pulling a leg, but he seems to be being fairly straightforward. I only read through the books a couple times as a kid- were there any decent theories out there as to what was in it?

Speculation involving possible book spoilers re the Sugar Bowl: I always thought it was horseradish, put there by Beatrice, but it also feels like it might not be that simple. But on the other hand, the series did always enjoy being anticlimactic and unexpected, so it might actually just be that simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

Speculation involving possible book spoilers re the Sugar Bowl: I always thought it was horseradish, put there by Beatrice, but it also feels like it might not be that simple. But on the other hand, the series did always enjoy being anticlimactic and unexpected, so it might actually just be that simple.

Ah yeah, here's a reddit thread on it. Seems legit.

• Locked thread