Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
THere is a line in the Hostile Hospital that I wish was kept in when Klaus first gets the idea to disguise himself and Sunny - "We don't have to fool Olaf - we just have to fool everyone else!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Boris Galerkin posted:

I binged through season 1 to watch season 2 but I’m a few episodes into season 2 and I don’t think this type of show if for me.

I hate how utterly incompetent everyone is. It was “cute” the first few episodes but holy poo poo does it get old. The whole “we need to write our characters stupid as all ever living gently caress in order to progress the story” thing is the most idiotic theme ever.

I literally can not stand the Poes. For me they embody pretty much everything about American culture that I just wish would die off. The wife with her stupid story scoops representing the awful media we actually have today in real life, and the husband being so utterly incompetent yet is one of those people who truly believe they are gods gift to X. I’m sure there’s a an actual psychological phrase for this but I don’t remember it. Literally I wish the Poes would just die in a fire in the show because they serve absolutely no purpose.

e: Like how is it not obvious by now that two old lady twins and a guy with a hook for a hand == Olaf is here? How are this secret society so bad at their job? What the hell even is this secret society? It’s been 1 season and 6(?) episodes and I know the exact same amount of things as I did in season 1 episode 1. I also don’t know who NPH is except for “the suit guy on how I met your mother” so him being the famous actor on the show doesn’t mean anything to me.

The Poe's are intentionally clueless, but almost everyone else is varying levels of competency. Heck there's a number of people in this season who are highly competent and still lose out because they think the wrong things or make the wrong plans. Count Olaf is generally competent and fails due to getting ahead of himself so on and so forth.

Heck, it's very likely Uncle Monty knew about Stefano being a disguise, and just didn't act in time or in the right way to stop his own death. Just as an example.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
as a non book reader the end of episode 5 was just pure :tviv:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Lord_Magmar posted:

The Poe's are intentionally clueless, but almost everyone else is varying levels of competency. Heck there's a number of people in this season who are highly competent and still lose out because they think the wrong things or make the wrong plans. Count Olaf is generally competent and fails due to getting ahead of himself so on and so forth.

Heck, it's very likely Uncle Monty knew about Stefano being a disguise, and just didn't act in time or in the right way to stop his own death. Just as an example.

He explicitly states his incorrect assumption - he thinks Stefano is a rival trying to steal his discovery, so has no idea he's actually genuinely trying to kill him.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

One of the things I really like about this show is how a lot of the locations the Beaudelaires visit give the impression they used to be thriving and pleasant. E.g. The Mill, (S2 locations:) the Village and the Carnival. But now it's like the world is falling into various states of ruin and misery because of short-sighted adults and/or secret society machinations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Personally, the saddest loss in this adaptation isn't the wonderful art style, or the strange little bits of postmodern experimental writing the books occasionally had, but the changes they've made to Lemony as a character. He's far more of an unreliable narrator in the books -- as a literary narrator he's an effete Eeyeor, the kind of person who considers cold soup to be as depressing as being eaten alive by leeches. He's likeable and earnest, but he's also self-important, obsessive and pedantic. Everything he writes is filtered through this constantly miserable perspective and so becomes impossible to take literally -- and that's before we get to fact that the story he's telling is educated guesswork shot through with missing, anecdotal or otherwise unreliable evidence.

Lemony as the host of the series feels a great deal more solid, and so we're encouraged to think of the story as more literally true -- a feeling enhanced by the various cutaways to material that would be outside the novel's scope, which suggests that what we're seeing is what "actually" happened. And so you end up losing a lot of the book's ambiguity, and -- to me -- a lot of their flavour.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I hate how utterly incompetent everyone is. It was “cute” the first few episodes but holy poo poo does it get old. The whole “we need to write our characters stupid as all ever living gently caress in order to progress the story” thing is the most idiotic theme ever.

I think you're putting the cart before the horse here; the character's aren't incompetent in order to push the story forward, the story is about the characters being incompetent.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

BioEnchanted posted:

He explicitly states his incorrect assumption - he thinks Stefano is a rival trying to steal his discovery, so has no idea he's actually genuinely trying to kill him.

I meant that he’s double bluffing and knows Stefano is Olaf but is claiming the other thing so that he can buy time to get backup or otherwise outplay Olaf. It just doesn’t work. Or the thing you said.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Roach Warehouse posted:

One of the things I really like about this show is how a lot of the locations the Beaudelaires visit give the impression they used to be thriving and pleasant. E.g. The Mill, (S2 locations:) the Village and the Carnival. But now it's like the world is falling into various states of ruin and misery because of short-sighted adults and/or secret society machinations.

As I understand it, this is a common theme throughout gothic literature, which is what the series bases itself on.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Very Dark Souls.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Waffleman_ posted:

I bet you heard your notification bells ringing! The spring season is almost here, and that means new TV! Count on Netflix to bring you the good stuff. The service is proud to bring Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events back for a second season! On March 30, the show will be covering the next five books in the acclaimed series. Go alert your friends and they'll be ringing your doorbell for a viewing party soon!

O. Lucafont
Reporting for Visually Fresh Drama

The world is quiet here.

oh goddammit, I *just* noticed what you did here.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Personally, the saddest loss in this adaptation isn't the wonderful art style, or the strange little bits of postmodern experimental writing the books occasionally had, but the changes they've made to Lemony as a character. He's far more of an unreliable narrator in the books -- as a literary narrator he's an effete Eeyeor, the kind of person who considers cold soup to be as depressing as being eaten alive by leeches. He's likeable and earnest, but he's also self-important, obsessive and pedantic. Everything he writes is filtered through this constantly miserable perspective and so becomes impossible to take literally -- and that's before we get to fact that the story he's telling is educated guesswork shot through with missing, anecdotal or otherwise unreliable evidence.

I've had a hard time putting into words why I don't like this portrayal of Snicket- but that's absolutely spot on.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I love how the show uses the changes from the books and Netflix winks to keep up the tension for book readers. It was so easy for me to believe that Jacques Snicket might live to help the Baudelaires because why waste Nathan Filion on four episodes, or that Madame Lulu might live after having a season-long plot about her VFD education. But they still die. They did a great job this year of ramping up the bleakness.

S3 book prediction: Mr. Poe explicitly says "I am not leaving this hotel" and then we see a burnt up bowler hat wash up on the Island

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mameluke posted:

I love how the show uses the changes from the books and Netflix winks to keep up the tension for book readers.

Yeah, it was sort of them building on the Quagmire fakeout in season 1.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I thought the series so far has been a pretty accurate approximation of my experience with the book series, or at least as much as a TV show could manage. For some reason, I scoured the Unauthorized Autobiography cover to cover before even opening The Bad Beginning, and as a result, every time I recognized something in the Autobiography, stopped and compared the texts to try to find out what was really going on behind the scenes, which turns out was pretty similar to the show. I developed a sort of, what’s the word for a hopeful paranoia. Every new minor character, suspicious sound, or unassuming chest of drawers could be a secret agent in disguise invisibly helping by slipping the children peppermints or shuffling around departure times. The cork board in the opening credits is essentially how I read the books the first time through. It’s a little less exciting to just watch it presented to you rather than figuring it out yourself, but it was still fun to see these suspicions come to light.

I could see how it might ruin someone’s idea of the lonesome, dismal isolation if that’s what you get out of the series, but it was never really that to me. In fact, it really highlights the disappointment of the latter half of the series when you find out that all these good, purposed people are fallible as anyone, no matter how noble and well-read they are. Plus, in spite of the series’ title, it was always pretty fortunate that, given the absolutely dire circumstances the children were constantly in, they kept making it out through the skin of their teeth. That they had a little help along the way sort of looped around to making more sense, even if the help was goofy and cartoonish.

I want to add to the discussion about how infuriatingly unhelpful the Poe’s, and really any of the adults are in the series, and say that I love it. One of the really difficult and stressful parts of childhood is being powerless to a situation, and unable to articulate the problem to someone with the power to help. The great part about this series is that it takes the blame off the kids and shifts it to the adults for failing to engage. It’s really frustrating to an adult, but as a kid, you’re like, “Yeah, that’s about right.”

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life
Someone called Esme "White Tahani" and I've spent days in awe of the accuracy of the comparison.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TrekBek posted:

Someone called Esme "White Tahani" and I've spent days in awe of the accuracy of the comparison.

oh my god that's who she kept reminding me of, that is absolutely it

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

TrekBek posted:

I'd never felt offended on behalf of a fictional character before until i read your post, but also, you're right.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I liked the second season a lot better than the first. I think it helps that I don’t quite remember the books past the first few very well. I spent most of the first season hemming and hawing over changes they made, whereas I couldn’t remember exactly what happened in the books for this one so I wasn’t sure if I was remembering it right or not. I wish I hadn’t checked IMDB mid-episode to figure out who played Madame Lulu because I totally forgot who she was in the books and would actually had been completely surprised by the reveal. Oh well!

BioEnchanted posted:

THere is a line in the Hostile Hospital that I wish was kept in when Klaus first gets the idea to disguise himself and Sunny - "We don't have to fool Olaf - we just have to fool everyone else!"

They kinda hit on that when Klaus and Olaf bump into each other in disguise—they both immediately know who the other person is, but they can’t do anything because it would immediately give away their own disguise.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Why did they use a take of Esme's actress flubbing a line in episode 4? Is she meant to be drunk?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Which scene? Otherwise I'd say "because Esme's not a very good actress herself"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mameluke posted:

Which scene? Otherwise I'd say "because Esme's not a very good actress herself"

The bit where she's talking to the Baudelaire's about 10 minutes in.

You're probably right though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've read all the books and I think it just comes down to whether the TV show captures what you loved about the books, or misses it. For me it's nigh-on perfect as an adaptation, including Warburton. BUT. I read the books AFTER I'd watched season one. So maybe I wasn't as alert to changes as I would have been if I'd grown up with them. Certainly every time Watership Down gets adapted, I get mad about some stupid little thing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

fractalairduct posted:

oh goddammit, I *just* noticed what you did here.

:twisted:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mameluke posted:

"because Esme's not a very good actress herself"

what the gently caress

unless you mean the character of Esme?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

precision posted:

what the gently caress

unless you mean the character of Esme?

That is what he meant

Though I went and watched that scene and I'm still not sure what line she supposedly messed up.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

How dare you accuse Esme Gigi Genevieve Squalor of being a bad actress? Her acting coach is both talented and handsome.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

cptn_dr posted:

How dare you accuse Esme Gigi Genevieve Squalor (the city's sixth most important financial advisor) of being a bad actress? Her acting coach is both talented and handsome.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

cptn_dr posted:

How dare you accuse Esme Gigi Genevieve Squalor of being a bad actress? Her acting coach is both talented and handsome.

She was runner-up in the "Most Likely To Be Banksy" contest!

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

This show is pretty frustrating to watch, as the adults are soooo stupid that it doesn't even make sense. Like the other poster said, the villain's schemes rely on every adult being unbelievably stupid in order to work and that's just not fun to watch.

Not to mention that NPH is simply unlikable in this show. There is virtually nothing entertaining about Olaf, almost all of his characters are extremely annoying/unlikeable. Esp Stefano and that "scatting detective" *shudders*

The only times I actually enjoyed watching him were his coach Genghis character and his song about the carnival of freaks. Those were the ONLY times his characters were entertaining at all.

And humor is interjected at the most awkward times. Like they make jokes in situations where they are about to do something extremely dark or disturbing and it's just like "are you really expecting the audience to laugh right now?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

DrunkPanda posted:

And humor is interjected at the most awkward times. Like they make jokes in situations where they are about to do something extremely dark or disturbing and it's just like "are you really expecting the audience to laugh right now?"

:thejoke:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DrunkPanda posted:

They are, and I do

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DrunkPanda posted:

This show is pretty frustrating to watch, as the adults are soooo stupid that it doesn't even make sense. Like the other poster said, the villain's schemes rely on every adult being unbelievably stupid in order to work and that's just not fun to watch.

Not to mention that NPH is simply unlikable in this show. There is virtually nothing entertaining about Olaf, almost all of his characters are extremely annoying/unlikeable. Esp Stefano and that "scatting detective" *shudders*

The only times I actually enjoyed watching him were his coach Genghis character and his song about the carnival of freaks. Those were the ONLY times his characters were entertaining at all.

april fool's was two entire days ago my dude

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrunkPanda posted:

This show is pretty frustrating to watch, as the adults are soooo stupid that it doesn't even make sense. Like the other poster said, the villain's schemes rely on every adult being unbelievably stupid in order to work and that's just not fun to watch.[...]

ASoUE is satire, a word which here means “exaggerates and enhances to the point of ridiculousness, which some people find amusing”.

It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, I’ll readily admit. If you’re looking for a series where people act logically, the bad guy is an anti villain with redeemable qualities, and there will be answers to all your questions with a satisfying ending... well, as the theme song clearly and repeatedly states:

Look away.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So why exactly does Olaf want the kids fortunes when his not-girlfriend is mega rich and would give him everything? I think she even said this herself at some point in one of the episodes.

Who is this Beatrice person that the start of each episode writes to?

What’s so special about a tea pot?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You definitely have enough clues to figure the second one out at this point, and take some guesses about the third (though it's a SUGAR BOWL).

As for the first, it's not really just about being rich for Olaf, it's about getting what he thinks he deserves, while also hurting those he thinks have wronged him.

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life
Olaf is a bitter ex.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I still haven’t made it through the first episode of S2 because I can’t stand Carmelita. They did such a good job of making her hateable I end up switching to something else. This weekend I’ll grit my teeth and get through it.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I still haven’t made it through the first episode of S2 because I can’t stand Carmelita. They did such a good job of making her hateable I end up switching to something else. This weekend I’ll grit my teeth and get through it.

What!? Carmelita is the loving best

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah there's something very latter-day Tim Burton about the show's style.

Barry Sonnenfeld has a very distinct style and his influence is all over the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

So why exactly does Olaf want the kids fortunes when his not-girlfriend is mega rich and would give him everything? I think she even said this herself at some point in one of the episodes.

Who is this Beatrice person that the start of each episode writes to?

What’s so special about a tea pot?

he doesnt just want a fortune, he wants the baudelaire and quagmire fortunes

• Locked thread