Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

So why exactly does Olaf want the kids fortunes when his not-girlfriend is mega rich and would give him everything? I think she even said this herself at some point in one of the episodes.

Who is this Beatrice person that the start of each episode writes to?

What’s so special about a tea pot?

Beatrice is a VFD member who Snickett was in love with, and died some time ago. All the show has revealed so far is that:
Esme blames her for the theft of the sugar bowl
Count Olaf tried to push her off a balcony at the VFD HQ.
She once received/delivered some poison darts at the opera
She wrote Snicket a hundred page letter explaining very precisely why she couldn't marry him.

I think that's all the clues so far.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

What!? Carmelita is the loving best

Carmelita is the worst, which is why she's the best. The cake-sniffing scene is one of my favourite gags in the whole show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Boris Galerkin posted:

So why exactly does Olaf want the kids fortunes when his not-girlfriend is mega rich and would give him everything? I think she even said this herself at some point in one of the episodes.

Who is this Beatrice person that the start of each episode writes to?

What’s so special about a tea pot?

The books do answer all these questions, but they're all in the last few books, which is what the next (and final) season will cover. For the time being though, you're supposed to speculate and wonder. There's not a whole lot of speculation going on in this thread because we're mostly all bookreaders who already know the answers.

[Edit: though I've always been of the opinion that the series (book and show) outwardly mocks those looking for answers and explanations because there never will be an answer that completely satisfies you. Extensive knowledge and understanding of any subject only inspires more questions and further study.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 4, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Only a Cakesniffer would have read the books! (i'm a total cakesniffer by this definition...)

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

lelandjs posted:

[Edit: though I've always been of the opinion that the series (book and show) outwardly mocks those looking for answers and explanations because there never will be an answer that completely satisfies you. Extensive knowledge and understanding of any subject only inspires more questions and further study.]

Yeeaahhh the ? still haunts me

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

A. Beaverhausen posted:

The Unauthorized Autobiography offering some answers and explanations but creating a million more questions bugged the crap out of me as a kid. I would spend hours pouring over that book trying to figure out exactly who the people in the transcript were, looking for hidden Sebald codes, trying to determine if the captions below the images were true or a joke, etc, etc...

I pulled it out of the basement a few days ago to look at it again and I wasn't really any better off (though some stuff made more sense at least).

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

I do feel sorry for the actress playing Carmelita. She’s basically doomed to the Joffrey Baratheon curse of a very talented actor doing a great job playing a complete poo poo.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

I do feel sorry for the actress playing Carmelita. She’s basically doomed to the Joffrey Baratheon curse of a very talented actor doing a great job playing a complete poo poo.

Post-Potter, Tom Felton's only done slightly worse for himself than Daniel Radcliffe, and arguably better than Emma Watson or Rupert Grint.

Really it depends on how good the actor's talent is is after being pigeonholed in a douchebag role.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

A. Beaverhausen posted:

You should read All the Wrong Questions then, as that entire series exists primarily to conclusively (and bafflingly) wrap up that loose end.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Timby posted:

Barry Sonnenfeld has a very distinct style and his influence is all over the show.

Absolutely. I get constant Addams Family vibes from the show and that's part of why I dig it so much.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sonnenfeld was originally going to direct the movie adaptation, but left the project due to budget concerns.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

lelandjs posted:

The books do answer all these questions, but they're all in the last few books, which is what the next (and final) season will cover. For the time being though, you're supposed to speculate and wonder. There's not a whole lot of speculation going on in this thread because we're mostly all bookreaders who already know the answers.

Can someone just spoil it for me?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can someone just spoil it for me?

Fine, but fair warning: you probably aren't going to be happy with the answers... massive series spoilers ahoy

1. Olaf wants revenge on the members of VFD that he split away from, and specifically the Baudelaires because they are suspected of killing his parents with poison darts. For him, revenge is stealing their immense fortunes and leaving their children penniless and/or dead, since that's what happened to him
2. Beatrice is the Baudelaires' mother; she was engaged to be married to Lemony but he had to fake his death and go into hiding because Olaf framed him for arson. After Lemony vanished, Beatrice fell in love with and married the Baudelaire's father.
3. The sugar bowl itself isn't important, it's what's believed to be hidden inside it that matters. It's not explicitly stated in the series, but most believe that it used to hold the seeds to a specially designed apple/horseradish hybrid that's the only thing that can prevent people from falling victim to a specific strain of fungus that turns people into zombies. By the time that the series takes place, though, the sugar bowl has probably had its contents removed, making it nothing more than a MacGuffin.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 4, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A. Beaverhausen posted:

What!? Carmelita is the loving best

Someone needs to cast that girl in a Shirley Temple biopic stat.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

lelandjs posted:

Fine, but fair warning: you probably aren't going to be happy with the answers... [b]massive series spoilers ahoy[/b
3. The sugar bowl itself isn't important, it's what's believed to be hidden inside it that matters. It's not explicitly stated in the series, but most believe that it used to hold the seeds to a specially designed apple/horseradish hybrid that's the only thing that can prevent people from falling victim to a specific strain of fungus that turns people into zombies. By the time that the series takes place, though, the sugar bowl has probably had its contents removed, making it nothing more than a MacGuffin.

Re: 3: Esme thinks the sugar bowl contains something else though. Sugar bowls are a standard part of the VFD's spy kits, as they contain hidden microphones and recording devices. She's desperate to get this specific bowl back because it contains, it is implied, a recording that incriminates her in the crimes that Lemony Snicket has been been falsely accused of. Hence her desperation to get it back. Again, ironically, the bowl probably no longer contains that evidence either.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Thanks for those. Olaf’s motives actually make sense now knowing that. I’m sure I could have waited but the entire time I was thinking that he must have some kind of personal vendetta against these people, and I thought maybe Beatrice was his ex girlfriend that he never got over or something, just cause as Esme said she was already filthy rich and him by association.

About your 3rd point, zombies? Really? Like literal braaaains zombies? Or is it just a nickname for whatever disease has caused every single adult person to be mentally retarded in the medical sense? That would explain so much about how stupid and incompetent everybody is to be honest.

About Madam Lulu, why didn’t Olaf know about Madam Lulu as being just a spy office if Olaf was also a part of VFD?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On that last point I always assumed that some of the outposts were set up post-schism

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

About your 3rd point, zombies? Really? Like literal braaaains zombies? Or is it just a nickname for whatever disease has caused every single adult person to be mentally retarded in the medical sense? That would explain so much about how stupid and incompetent everybody is to be honest.

I don't remember this plot point incredibly well, but I think the other poster mispoke when they mentioned zombies. It's a highly infectious biological weapon, isn't it? A violently fungal demise, if you will. People who get infected just grow mushroom caps throughout their bodies and die horribly. Whatever the exact effects of the medusiod mycellium, it's definitively not responsible for everyone being thick. That's just what happens when you live in a society that doesn't value libraries or education, which is a recurring theme throughout the series.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

lelandjs posted:

1. Olaf wants revenge on the members of VFD that he split away from, and specifically the Baudelaires because they are suspected of killing his parents with poison darts. For him, revenge is stealing their immense fortunes and leaving their children penniless and/or dead, since that's what happened to him

Related to this, there's a moment when Olaf first speaks with Madame Lulu where she references poison darts. If Olivia knows about the darts, I wonder how she was able to still believe in VFD being a noble and honest organization.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Captain_Person posted:

Related to this, there's a moment when Olaf first speaks with Madame Lulu where she references poison darts. If Olivia knows about the darts, I wonder how she was able to still believe in VFD being a noble and honest organization.

Presumably because she was inducted by the square jawed and noble Jacques Snicket, King of the Hinterland Frontier. I mean, I'd believe it if I were her.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Captain_Person posted:

Book spoilers:

Why did VFD kill Olaf’s parents?

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

cptn_dr posted:

Presumably because she was inducted by the square jawed and noble Jacques Snicket, King of the Hinterland Frontier. I mean, I'd believe it if I were her.

S2E6 It's that taxi drivin', tower climbin', quickly dyin' Jacques Snicket

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Maybe it's because I read both sets of books very close to each other but I've always thought that the ? was almost certainly the same as the leviathan from the Illuminatus! series of books. Both series are all about secret societies and conspiracy theories that kind of end up going up their own rear end while at war with each other , though I've never found any one, single thing to prove that the one influenced the other. Maybe there are more indicators of influence in All The Wrong Questions.

Edit: My favorite reference to a book plot point in the show that hasn't been explained in the show yet is when Olaf tells Jacques that Jacques never approved of his romantic relationships.

Paladin fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 5, 2018

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

S2Ep6: Man, I could've sworn the jail escape was a lot weirder in the book. Something about using the bread as a sponge as they poured the water on the bench to weaken the mortar.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

S2Ep6: Man, I could've sworn the jail escape was a lot weirder in the book. Something about using the bread as a sponge as they poured the water on the bench to weaken the mortar.

You are correct. The bench smashing was the last step once they'd dissolved it a bit.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Goddamn, what is this paperboy's route?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Amazing. Duh.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

RareAcumen posted:

I remember reading this as a jailbreak solution somewhere but I also felt certain this was one of the books of the series I'd never read before and now my mind is breaking.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ohtsam posted:

I remember reading this as a jailbreak solution somewhere but I also felt certain this was one of the books of the series I'd never read before and now my mind is breaking.

Regy Rusty already said that was how they did it in the book. Although I also remember it taking them like all night to do too but I'm certainly not against the way they changed it. Really, I just bring things up because hoo boy was it a while since I read those books and I wanna contribute to the conversation because my memory sucks. Like, I know I read books all throughout school but damned if I can remember anything besides Harry Potter, Eragon and Redwall.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

So Geraldine Julienne just doesn't exist in this continuity?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

fractalairduct posted:

So Geraldine Julienne just doesn't exist in this continuity?

Yeah they rolled her, Poe's wife, and Poe's sister Eleanora into one character. It makes sense for the show but I miss the amazing name Geraldine Julienne.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Boris Galerkin posted:

Book spoilers:

Why did VFD kill Olaf’s parents?

Major Book Spoilers: We never find out, but the deaths are implied to have been unnecessary and avoidable if not outright malicious in their intent.

A big theme of the later books is that no one can know all the answers and that even the answers you do uncover are often incomplete and deeply unsatisfying. We want there to be some kind of easy, understandable explanation that justifies all this misery, but there is none.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 7, 2018

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

I always like seeing the Barry Sonnenfeld cameos in the episodes.

I don't remember all of them from season two but there's

Hostile Hospital: The medical chart of the head for the surgery

Carnivorous Carnival: An image of "Barry the Pinhead"
Him as the Ringleader in the lions illustration
Obviously, him as Ike.

I know there are others in this season but I really can't remember them right now. Can anyone else recall any of the others? I think there may be a picture of him in Esme's apartment but I'm not sure. I might be mixing that up with Justice Strauss's Library in Season 1.

Conal Cochran fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 7, 2018

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
He’s the guy on the phone with Mr Poe in episode 1 I think.

Numbuh 212
Feb 19, 2013

Roach Warehouse posted:

S2E6 It's that taxi drivin', tower climbin', quickly dyin' Jacques Snicket

I see you and I appreciate this!

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

A really good running gag. Guy's got some sick bike tricks.

s2e1: I loved how they portrayed the Advanced Computer too!

Also, I feel dumb for overlooking it, but what's this Spice Girls reference?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

SerialKilldeer posted:

Also, I feel dumb for overlooking it, but what's this Spice Girls reference?

I'll tell you what I want. What I really, really want.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah they rolled her, Poe's wife, and Poe's sister Eleanora into one character. It makes sense for the show but I miss the amazing name Geraldine Julienne.

It's a shame, I really liked Eleanora's fate of having her own paper weaponised against her in the Unauthorized Autobiography; plus we haven't really seen anyone on the villainous side of the schism who isn't associated with Olaf.

It's the same problem caused by (S2E9) making Madame Lulu unambiguously good, rather than neutral. It makes the scope of VFD seem much smaller.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Open Source Idiom posted:

Re: 3: Esme thinks the sugar bowl contains something else though. Sugar bowls are a standard part of the VFD's spy kits, as they contain hidden microphones and recording devices. She's desperate to get this specific bowl back because it contains, it is implied, a recording that incriminates her in the crimes that Lemony Snicket has been been falsely accused of. Hence her desperation to get it back. Again, ironically, the bowl probably no longer contains that evidence either.

And the horseradish-apple idea makes little sense because

a) normal horseradish (or wasabi) kills the mushrooms just as efficiently, and there's no indication that it's hard to find. There are even horseradish apples available at Prufrock. (Belated edit: this wasn't in the books, just the show, but it strikes me as evidence against horseradish being the answer here.) I think the apples were created as a way to have a secret supply of horseradish on hand without it being obvious to enemies.

b) everything else about the sugar bowl points toward it containing crucial documents or other evidence (perhaps the poison darts? with Baudelaire parent fingerprints/ DNA on them?) though the nature of this is unclear. There are/were presumably many sugar bowls with different important evidence inside floating around, due to VFD's use of them.

SerialKilldeer fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 9, 2018

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Almost finished with this season now. Honestly I think it's a real shame that The Austere Academy couldn't have ended season 1 instead of opening season 2. I always felt like the ending of book 5 was the real turning point - where the series when from from 'slightly repetitive nonsense costume funtimes' to 'increasingly nightmarish mystery series also with some costume funtimes' and the show's really leaned into that - so it feels a bit odd to have the end of the first 'part' of the series at the beginning of this one.

I think splitting seasons 2 and 3 after book 9 makes a lot of sense though, since after that point the kids are mostly alone and in 'get poo poo done' mode and everything becomes a lot more focused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I haven't read the books, but I really do like the series. Wish we didn't have to wait a year for the last episodes.

Niel Patrick Harris does such a good job acting as someone that is a bad actor.

• Locked thread