Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does anyone else think the blightstormer sounds like saltspyre having a violent orgasm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Phlegmish posted:

It was a hosed up thing to brag about in the first place, made all the more horrifying by the fact that it's played for laughs. That particular voice clip also seems to get triggered all the time.

If they're finally giving Kerillian some capacity for introspection or character growth, that's good, but it's too little, too late.

Yeah, I really dont like the Kerillian character at all. I know they tried to make her like the sassy outsider, but in this game she is just straight up obnoxious and unlikeable.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does anyone else think the blightstormer sounds like saltspyre having a violent orgasm

No, but I will now, thanks a lot you filthy raki

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://twitter.com/mcnostrilcom/status/1232100690727723008

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Friend was telling me I should get back into Vermintide for the DLC.

Got to listen in over discord as he fell through the world twice and instantly died from a 5 foot fall all within a hour of playing.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

there's also beastmen who spawn right on top of you in tight spots, then charge you from point blank range on cataclysm. super fun

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

My DRG friend got it so we installed it to play with him and it usually takes 1-3 runs before we all get fed up and go back to DRG haha still a good break from digging fatigue.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A quiet drink is back up and playing.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What exactly does the winds of magic expansion unlock for Vermintide by the way? weapons, a couple beastmen themed maps and the (maybe still awful?) winds of magic 100 queues, saw some mention of it unlocking new traits or talents but did they walk that back?

Just wondering how much I'm missing out on when I load up with friends and what going between 30 and 35 gets you.

Also noticed there is a cosmetic cash shop in this game now and a 5$ pig hat.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
you get weapons, the beastmen map, the weaves

everything else was free patch stuff

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What exactly does the winds of magic expansion unlock for Vermintide by the way? weapons, a couple beastmen themed maps and the (maybe still awful?) winds of magic 100 queues, saw some mention of it unlocking new traits or talents but did they walk that back?

Just wondering how much I'm missing out on when I load up with friends and what going between 30 and 35 gets you.

Also noticed there is a cosmetic cash shop in this game now and a 5$ pig hat.

I’m shocked the store isn’t open for XBone. On my end it’s an alright (for Fatshark) DLC. I got one big map and some beasties. The DLC weapons range from cool (Satlz bill hook and Sienna flail) to ok (other people love the spear but I like others better) back to god mode (throwing axe with awesome Thor resummon) to meh (I want to like the elf’s shield and spear but it sucks in crowds). The beast men are annoying at higher games but the DLC did bring in fresh blood. I do wish a level 2 guy wouldn’t join Champ and above and at least try the lower difficulty like most of us did. Seen a ton of pubbie rage quitting when a bunch of spear men murder your health from far away. I try and tell them Veteran is totally respectable all the way to your 20s and you don’t HAVE to double grim it every time when you are new. Some of the new blood are cool though.

Bardin’s throwing axes are so much fun. The flamethrower/drake gun feels like it got nerfed: though still excellent at FF damage. Best TK weapon are the throwing axes. Sorry elf <not really sorry>. I’m glad the newbies respect the tradition of playing the elf horribly. By Grungi, I hates elves.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

I've been playing a decent bit of Slayer lately just because I felt like I was relying too much on Ironbreaker's ability to ignore a hit every little bit to keep from taking chip damage and wanted to break myself of that habit.

My group of friends has just started transitioning to Champion and I'm sort-of at a loss for what weapon combo to take though. I've been loving the dual hammers for crowd control and general purpose, and want to keep something around to deal with armored enemies easier and maybe bosses but I'm not sure.

2-handed hammer has been my favorite weapon in the game for a while just because it's good at everything, though not the singular best option at any one thing.

Dual Axes helps mulch bosses but it doesn't seem to kill normal skaven any faster than the dual hammers, and I'm not sure if my group actually needs the extra damage against bosses, along with...

The throwing axes are great for murdering specials without getting close, but needing to switch to them can be tricky when I'm already in combat with stuff. I've noticed that I seem to do more damage to the random bosses than with anything else save dual axes by staying close enough that I can pick them up as I'm throwing them, but it's kinda clunky to manage.

Mostly it seems like the throwing axes are my best option to pair with the dual hammers, but it leaves me feeling like I'm not contributing as much as I could in some situations.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

ArchRanger posted:

My group of friends has just started transitioning to Champion and I'm sort-of at a loss for what weapon combo to take though. I've been loving the dual hammers for crowd control and general purpose, and want to keep something around to deal with armored enemies easier and maybe bosses but I'm not sure.

I admit I haven’t played much in the past couple of months, but when I was there were a couple popular setups depending on what talent you took:

Bonus to 1h weapons - Dual hammers for hordes and 1h axe for armor/bosses.
Bonus to 2h weapons - 2h hammer for hordes and pickaxe for armor/bosses.

IIRC the pickaxe deals more damage the longer you charge it, which synergizes well with your attack speed boost.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

is this game good yet? failing that, is anyone playing the first game?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

In this vein, I own Vermintide 2 and given the current state of the world will probably have some free time coming up...is the expansion worth grabbing? I literally only play this for the social aspect of bullshit with people while killing rats so...is the goon community still in existence? Im guessing i need the expansion to even play with anyone at this point

e: I'm like a level 20 slayer am I even capable of playing any expansion levels?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Waroduce posted:

In this vein, I own Vermintide 2 and given the current state of the world will probably have some free time coming up...is the expansion worth grabbing? I literally only play this for the social aspect of bullshit with people while killing rats so...is the goon community still in existence? Im guessing i need the expansion to even play with anyone at this point

e: I'm like a level 20 slayer am I even capable of playing any expansion levels?

the expansion levels are not inherently harder than the base game levels. if you play with someone who owns an expansion, and they're hosting, you can play the levels they own without owning the expansion yourself.

all buying the expansions get you is: more weapons (which are admittedly nice), the new maps/beastman if you host (not necessary if you play with friends), and the winds of magic mode (which i didn't touch because none of my friends bought the expansion lmao)

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Some of the new weapons are fun

The beastmen make for a bit more variety in foes.

Winds of Magic weaves were DOA due to it's incredibly badly thought out level gating.

Some of the cosmetics are nice.

Not worth paying full price for, but at a decent discount and if you felt like throwing Fatshark a few bucks if (like I have) you've spent a couple of hundred hours playing. Then go ahead.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

Somebody asks that every couple of months. I should really just save my response somewhere.

Vermintide 2 is good, but tends to get worse the longer you engage with it and what is particulary insidious is it may take a couple hundred hours of enjoyable play before you hit the jank and it's debatable whether that's a problem or not.

I can recommend Vermintide 2 on this: it's more of the same from one, plus more. More variety, more items, etc. It's the same arcadey-yet-surprisingly deep visceral melee combat. The feeling of saving a match from certain doom or perfectly defeating a wave while taking zero damage is still insanely good. No other game has ever quite pulled it off for my money. DRG is good but doesn't have a melee focus.

However.

The following issues will arise after many hours of play and whether you shrug and move past it or become another wailing forum specter is up to you.

*Opacity. You never know how well you are doing. +10% damage? 10% of what? How much hp does a rat have? Who knows! There are turbonerds who have mined this data of course but it's stupid that you have to.

*Linear progression. The game has a bunch of fiddly modifiers that don't much change how you actually play. Yes a fast melee weapon benefits from more crit - so what? Why roll over and over again for the obviously best modifiers on weapons? Features like stagger chance or crit chance should be intrinsic weapon properties and there should be dozens, perhaps hundreds of item traits that modify how you play, rather than invisible number go up. Same for talents, though some of these are more guilty than others.

*Jank. Champion is the sweet spot for me; beyond which the engine and netcode starts glitching and cheating. You can bowl a perfect game on champ; less so on Legendary and Cata where enemies frequently teleport or glitch out or whatever. Once you can sleepwalk Champ you're approaching the end.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 26, 2020

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I've been a Vermintide 2 casual for a long time (~80 hours over many months) and still enjoy firing it up and working towards leveling all the classes to 20. Haven't bought any expansions or even tried Drachenfel yet, but still not tired of it because, as Mendrian mentions above, it just hits this sweet spot of actiony melee combat that can't be found elsewhere. I'm not even all that good at it because even on veteran I have trouble clearing hordes without getting random damage from odd directions, so I probably have many hours to play before I'm bored at Champion.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Paolomania posted:

I've been a Vermintide 2 casual for a long time (~80 hours over many months) and still enjoy firing it up and working towards leveling all the classes to 20. Haven't bought any expansions or even tried Drachenfel yet, but still not tired of it because, as Mendrian mentions above, it just hits this sweet spot of actiony melee combat that can't be found elsewhere. I'm not even all that good at it because even on veteran I have trouble clearing hordes without getting random damage from odd directions, so I probably have many hours to play before I'm bored at Champion.

The wise man on the mountain looks down at you and nods.

"Hold block you idiot. Just loving block, goddamnit."

I'm kidding, of course.

For me the most common source of chip damage was from not blocking frequently enough, failing to notice audio cues when enemies are about to hit me, getting caught up in click spam that prevented me from blocking, failing to dodge occasionally, and never turning around (you should be constantly turning around, and then back, and then around).

I really noticed this when I picked up the rapier because on the rapier you basically never need to stop blocking so I went, ooooooh I have been a goddamnit idiot.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Also the sound cues to tell you to block have been periodically broken and then supposedly fixed but then broken again for like 80% of the game's life so it's hardly your fault if a rat spawns behind you and then stabs you undetectably.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It actually is really good advice to block whenever you can, at least whenever you're not moving forward. Say one of your teammates is getting a tome or grim and you're just standing around, it's a good reflex to hold down the block button. The game sprinkles non-horde enemies throughout the map, you're pulling some sort of aggro almost everywhere, and you're not always going to see or hear the enemies coming in time (even with sound cues working correctly).
Same thing when a horde is dying down, that's a chaotic moment and you might inadvertently get hit by one of the few enemies remaining because you thought there were none left. Look around holding down block before you continue moving forward.

On that note, I use the Chat Block mod to make sure my character is blocking whenever I'm typing.

Here are my mods in general:

First two are framework, the latter four are handy QoL improvements.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
just failed the drachenfels boss 6 times in a row on champion/legend with 6 different crews.

whats the key to this fight?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

just failed the drachenfels boss 6 times in a row on champion/legend with 6 different crews.

Doing it on Veteran.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Yolomon Wayne posted:

spear & shield elf

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Don't stand on the fiery bits.

I like the remix of the old drachenfels map and I had some traumatic flashbacks to vt1 when we dropped down into the gauntlet tunnel at the end. That said, fatshark please stop making giant maze maps.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

That said, fatshark please stop making giant maze maps.

People were the real rats all along

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Don't stand on the fiery bits.

I like the remix of the old drachenfels map and I had some traumatic flashbacks to vt1 when we dropped down into the gauntlet tunnel at the end. That said, fatshark please stop making giant maze maps.

sooner or later i end up being knocked into aoe, bodyblocked in aoe, rezzed in aoe, and dead.
Map is insta-leave for me now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The AOE expands first and then contracts. Shoot him as expands, close in for melee as it contracts.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Dipping my toes into Champion and got Screaming Bell as IB. This is the best game of my entire VT2 life, the other players kept dying but I would always pull through with 10 hp and dance around enemies to rez them. I felt hope was lost when I was the last one standing and had to rescue my team while fighting a bile troll with full health, but I kited that motherfucker across town and saved everyone so we could bring it down.

Even during the final fight when the 3 others died again and I was fighting the horde of rats while avoiding a giant blight wizard AOE, I saved everyone and we were set to win right as the rat ogre was about to die.

Except the one time I get downed, the elf decided she didn't wanna play anymore mid-fight and just stood there during the boss and remained standing there as she was the last to get pulverized. I was so close... So close... :negative:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Shame about the ending, but runs like that are what makes this game so good, adrenaline pumping and it's just go time.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The runs which are near disasters you juuusstt pull back from the edge of, are the most fun I find.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Oh, it was definitely the most fun I've had in the game so far, ending or no. I wasn't even that salty about it because it gave me such a good time. I'm hoping to have more games like that in the future now that I'm stepping into the harder difficulties.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
What do levels after 30 mean? Also I started this game during double xp weekend and now leveling is hell. :(

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Artificer posted:

What do levels after 30 mean? Also I started this game during double xp weekend and now leveling is hell. :(

Levels after 30 just give you more commendation chests.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
35 is where your Hero Power maxes out though, right?

Passburger
May 4, 2013
So I've got a 80% off coupon for this horrible game that we all love to hate but somehow still play. If someone wants it, let me know before the 21ist.

Aaaaand it's gone!

Passburger fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 12, 2020

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

35 is where your Hero Power maxes out though, right?

yep

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I myself have an 80% coupon for Space Hulk: Deathwing, if anyone wants it. I guess it's a Warhammer-themed sale.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
I just picked this game up and am having a blast duo-ing it with a friend (and two bots). On another char I'm leveling alone (as in: not co-op with my friend) and did some PUG's. Is the player base on PS4 so abysmally low? There are at any time only like 20 games I can choose from and some don't seem to connect. I tried a veteran level with just the bots and it went fine. Is that still viable for champion and above (or even the harder veteran levels) or do you need actual teammates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mosch
Jul 30, 2013
Fatshark is now selling an 8€ hat for charity without specifying the charity. I mean, it's an honorable thing to do, but 8€ for a skull chastity belt and they're giving the profit to... someone probably? Seems like a very fatshark move.