Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cowcaster posted:

the dagger is the way to go for me. the first charged strike is an aoe knockback you can fire off -> block -> fire off again to lock down crowds, and the second charged strike's stab actually does a pretty impressive chunk of damage against heads, and both come out a lot faster than the flaming sword's equivalent crowd control swings or getting to the third strike of the arming sword's combo for headshotting an armored dude.

i think some people in this thread swear by the mace but i absolutely loathe how the starter to both combos is an overhead, not having any sort of get out of my personal space attack available as a first swing is a deal breaker to me
Wait, there are two charged strikes?

Also chalk me up for hating the mace, I was doing much better with Flame-Sword. I'll give dagger a shot when I g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Cowcaster posted:

the dagger is the way to go for me. the first charged strike is an aoe knockback you can fire off -> block -> fire off again to lock down crowds, and the second charged strike's stab actually does a pretty impressive chunk of damage against heads, and both come out a lot faster than the flaming sword's equivalent crowd control swings or getting to the third strike of the arming sword's combo for headshotting an armored dude.

i think some people in this thread swear by the mace but i absolutely loathe how the starter to both combos is an overhead, not having any sort of get out of my personal space attack available as a first swing is a deal breaker to me

So I just got an decent dagger (for my low level) and I like it. But I'm not sure I understand what you mean first chargestrike to do an aoe knockback? Isn't there only hold Mouse1 which is the charged stab?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Do different characters jump differently? I was playing with this dwarf guy that knew where all the tomes and stuff were trying to follow, but apparently some require some complicated jumps. for whatever reason I couldn't make most of them, it felt like i kept rubberbanding off or just too big or something (playing as pyro), like out around on wood beams into a windmill. i used to be pretty good at jumps in goldsrc mod days, but I can't seem do make jump do much of anything in this. it also appears crouch-jumping isn't a thing since that didn't help either. Am I missing something obvious?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
hmm alright, I'll keep that in mind. in particular there was also one in the follow the bodies level where you have to jump on this awkward rock outcrop, then up on a beam, and for the life of me (ended up being literal) I could not make that jump after like 5 minutes and just kept rubberbanding off. I guess I'll maybe do a SP round and see if I can practice it some more and have it click.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
So for like those giant armored guys, are they actually immune to all range damage? Playing as Sienna with like a Fireball staff, it appears M1 attacks are blocked, but charged M2 fireballs still seem to do damage? Is that correct or are they immune to everything other than charged melee attacks/career skills?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

enraged_camel posted:

Man, dedicated servers can't come fast enough.

I almost feel like taking a break until then, because I get disconnected 1 out of 5 games and it's incredibly annoying.

If you have even 1 bud to play with, you can invite him/her to your game then start a Quick Match and you'll be the host. It'll eliminate that poo poo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Night10194 posted:

Discovering Unchained made me finally enjoy playing as Sienna. I know it isn't as powerful as Pyromancer for obvious reasons, but dancing around at the edge of exploding punching peoples' heads off is great.
What do you recommend for talents/weapons for Unchained?

I've currently 16 on Pyro, its fun but I also don't want to be spamming F/beamstaff all day. I quite like Bolt Staff and it seems pretty good. The other ones seem trash sadly

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Played like 8 Halescourge maps today and lost every single one, on Vet, usually around the falling buildings that loves to throw us Ogre/Troll spawns+hordes and everyone gets wiped. I've resigned I may never beat that map

Rabelais D posted:

The conflag staff is another really fun weapon to use, but the AOE does about as much damage as a toaster on medium heat, so it's a shame. Still viable however as the knockback is really good, you can spam it to stunlock hordes, and the left click attack actually does decent damage.
Yeah this game loves to throw Legendary Conflags at me like its candy and can't get a decent Bolt (or even Beam) ones, I think I'm up to about 5 of them and no other Legendary Staffs. I really like in theory, but alt fire is pretty loving terrible and eats up way too much Overcharge for almost tickling damage, and if I'm going to be left-clicking mostly instead I might as well just be Bolting it.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 19, 2018

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i have a now lvl 20 pyro and i just now discovered what venting overcharge means

lol...

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
So anyone have some tips on what to use to play and build out an effective Unchained? I'm still a noob vet so probably anything will do for the forseeabl, but trying something different than my dagger/bolt staff pyro felt significantly worse. What weapons and talents work best for Unchained?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
That also reminds me. Does Attack Speed effect how fast you can charge an melee attack or is it just spamming light attacks? Similarly, does it effect like attack speed of Bolt Staff spam and alt-fire staff charging (I think that's cast speed so it should be different? idk)

not that i can really tell the difference in like my +4% attack speed trinket to begin with probably.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Grondoth posted:

I wonder what the Mod Tools will be. With loot and experience tracked server side, will it be only UI stuff? I'd love to mess with the talents, but that probably won't be allowed.

yeah i'd have to wonder how they hope to do that. i'd guess its probably just custom map tools would be the most likely? i cant see mods really being popular if everything is serverside tracked, and then if you did do mod-based quick--matches it'd be a shitshow since you'd probably just have 1 or 2 mods that everyone would have to have the same set of mods installed, and still mostly dead playerpool. idk.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Kaddish posted:

If you never gamed the crit thing on the beam staff to begin with this is a fairly significant buff.
Yeah, I was using a Bolt staff for my almost entire time and late last night found a pretty ok Beam Staff with +% Crit for my 25 Pyro, and loving hated it. Temp HOC wasn't working and felt super erratic and could never vent on temp health since I couldn't rely on it.

I still think I may like Bolt staff more but having the crits fixed was a serious annoying issue so I'll go back to giving Beam a shot.

E: I also really hate the zoom-in FOV thing with beam, feelsbad after using Bolt staff and machinegunning heads for so long.

I'd really like to give Unchained a solid go but no idea what to do with them. Losing homing flaming-balls made me feel naked since you can just pop it whenever you hear an assassin is near and have it wipe it out behind many walls and cliffs.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 20, 2018

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Coolguye posted:

i'm an unabashed Unchained convert for 2 major reasons:
1) the practical amount of FF you run into is actually less if you're paying attention. flaming skull can knock a serious chunk of health off your allies on champ and insta-down them on legend, and there is not a single drat thing you can do about it because it's auto-aim. yes, the skull is fantastic against literally everything but there's nothing you can do to stop it from going rogue. at least with living bomb you have some agency by walking away from people you like.
2) it's just more fun. pyromancer for me ended up being insanely boring. i almost felt like a bot. beam things that are far away, shotgun things that are close, hit f when you're too hot, repeat. this loop will cover you for 85% of your play time, the other 15% being stupid junk like getting stabbed in the butt by something that spawned 2 seconds prior and losing half of your health.

Unchained still allows you to hit those buttons for when they are really needed, evaporating a horde and/or deleting a nerd, but you are encouraged and rewarded for mixing it up and riding the edge of your heat in melee. Try the dagger, it's already mean and just becomes absolutely vicious in the hands of an Unchained. You end up feeling like a serial killer because your little knife perpetrates an absurd amount of murder.

In terms of saving yourself from dong sniffers like gutter runners, just be careful with your living bomb attack. Dodge a lot (the knife has a really long dodge on it too, another benefit) and if you get a look at them coming in, hit your Living Bomb instead of trying to shove. You might get pounced but the impact from Living Bomb will knock them straight off. I've done this a dozen times in the last few days.

What do you recommend in terms of staffs and talents for Unchained? I've already been running Dagger/Bolt (probably soon to be Dagger/Beam) on Pyro. I guess probably the same thing it sounds like?

Xaris fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 20, 2018

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Coolguye posted:

dagger/beam. in terms of talents, the only one that i feel is unarguable is cooldown reduction on living bomb at level 25. try to pair this with a charm that gives you ~10% cooldown reduction so you start off close to half cooled off even after you hit f. it's a huge help. this goes beyond the fact that you just don't need the increased damage (it kills trash just fine as is) and the increased radius is more ff potential.

beyond that i feel like there's decent arguments for a lot of the talents. i prefer max health but max overcharge also has some sense to it. beyond that, i like reduced overcharge generated, temp health becomes real health on boss kill, and temp health on kills. flex to match your tastes though.

:tipshat: Thanks. Do Ogres and Trolls count as boss kills for the purpose of triggering Temp->Perm? The lvl 10 ones seem p lovely in general though. And is Temp Health on Kill the way to go ? I'd have thought Crits may be better especially when fighting bosses n poo poo where you may not have trash to pickup temp health kills, but maybe on Champ/Leg they still through enough trash during bosses to make it useful?

Xaris fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 20, 2018

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Coolguye posted:

monsters count, yes. i prefer temp health on kill because you will not be triggering as many crits as a pyro does - you are losing the increased crit chance on overcharge, after all.

the deceptive thing about the temp health in general is that since you are shunting 50% of your damage off into your overcharge, you typically have a fair bit of temp health hanging out if you're doing any substantial amount of murder. you can even vent aggressively and not bother it too much precisely because you are shunting even THAT damage over to your overcharge, which will bottom out really fast because you're venting.

also, the boss kill thing gets more helpful on champ/legend because of the 'clears wounds' portion of that skill. That basically means that it resets your downs, so if you're gray after being knocked around by a boss it'll not just make your temp health real it will clear your gray status too.
Yeah I just realized that about crits after the fact. If you arent going to care much about Crits, do you still want a Beam with Crit% and Heat Sink or are there better traits to aim for?

Thanks for the headsup on the boss thing, that soudns useful. I'm gunna give Unchained a shot when I get off work here later.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Coolguye posted:

it's still nice because when it triggers you can continue nuking nerds so in the interest of not spending a ton of resources on one specific class i'd say just use your same ol' beam staff and reconsider what's ideal when you're at 300 gear score and 500 scrap kicking around doing nothing.

yeah sure that's fair, i was just curious if something like Thermal Equalizer might be something a little more desirable (or Hunter? idk if that one is trash or not). I'm still finding items around 180-ish so I have a way to go before 300 and will prolly find plenty of poo poo that changes it up

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Uganda Loves Me posted:

If you crash or disconnect after a mission, you can miss out on the reward. If you leveled, that means you miss out on the blueprints you should have received. My Kruber is still missing his halberd blueprints because of this. In one game, we all had backend error 1342, but the host claims he still received his reward. It might affect the host differently.
:wow:

Hopefully they uh fix that soon

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Boy I’m itching for a game in this genre with the L4D versus mode. I think playing so much of that way back when has helped me a lot in this, because of my rampant paranoia looking for specials.

Mostly I want to punt some players off of cliffs.

L4D vs was cool but imo incredibly stressful and annoying to play as zombies. Except a few cheese pouncer spots. I generally stuck to humans (also felt stronger)

I’d think it’d be similar except well yeah player controlled blightstormer lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Lol never. I’m glad we have fatshark to pickup the slack.

Turtle rock probably could have stepped in l4ds shows after valve purchase but they decided to go ~~esports~~ and predictably flopped

Valve could literally print money if they did, seems incredibly loving stupid since they don’t even need to do much to slap a 3 on it (same as when they went 1 to 2 it was virtually the same game) but lol haven

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Fuuka Ayase posted:

I am almost certain this patch has a few stealth buffs for her.

why do you say that? fixed beam crits is actually a loving incredible buff and that was explicitly called out

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Zeruel posted:

I got an exotic trinket last night, which spreads the effect of any non healing potion I drink to a nearby ally, but I'm not sure if it works? Anyone else confirm or deny?

I got that one, idk I tried it once with afriend and didn't seem to work but I figured I just noobed it up. It had otherwise terrible +5% to skaven/armored rolls so I junked it. Plus I'm often more often than not carrying a Grim so those Potions last 50% longer/spread don't seem that useful.

What traits do people like to find on Charms and Trinkets? Seems like Home Brew (chance to not consume healing) and Sharpnel (takes increased damage after being hit) seem like the best ones to get in general? Currently using Explosive Ordnance since I dont want to waste rerolls yet, seems to be OK though not sure I really notice its radius being bigger since its already p large to begin with.

All the Necklace ones seem really good, tho I have a kind of lovely rolled one with self-healing and I dont think I really like it.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 21, 2018

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SirDrone posted:

Is it just me or are chaos spawn tentacle horrors the most difficult boss type to deal with.

They're real bad if your team doesnt have a stagger ult or realize you can use bombs to stop his eating attack. DONT WASTE YOUR BOMBSAAAAAAAAAAAA

Stormfiend feels like a joke and we always seem to beat it with minimal damage.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Anyways I tool Coolguy's advice and started playing Unchained. It's p fun and feels way more tanky which is good, but I think I'm still stuck in "ranged" mindset and don't get up and dagger people enough yet opting to sit and beam but its nice not instantly dying if something gets behind me still. Also it's hard to judge how much getting hit will generate overcharge/also remember that getting hit by a boss spawn will pop me into overcharge death and stupidly died a few times.

still would recommend it over pyro just from a fun-factor and a little easier to carry people since you can tank and block more.

the only thing I wish is you could use your ult to clear out overcharge if you have it up when you get put into deathmode. but that's mostly because Im a loving idiot.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 21, 2018

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

ImPureAwesome posted:

The hardest boss is the one that spawns in a hallway
yeah location is the most important part.

luv 2 fight troll/chaos spawns on the falling cliffs on halescourge near the grim

o well there went half our team into the valley of death

also I learned spawns willl follow you to the end of the map even if you think you're safe--there is no running . I was playing a righteous stand as a new lvl1 dwarf with bots just dicking around seeing if i could, and a chaos spawns at the very start and I'm like eh no and just ran for the elevator in the circular room thinking it'd just despawn. I felt safe for like a few minutes then boom, it jumped into the barracks so I ran and let the bots die again and nope, kept coming. It will climb every place imaginable and keep coming even even to the end. I guess that makes sense since otherwise people would just ignore them.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 21, 2018

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Onkel Hedwig posted:

I think boss fights in general are the least fun aspect of the game.
I like them when the location is right and adds a lot to the game. fighting Roger on the platforms of Screaming Bell is p fun and its also wide open and lots of spots to run. Fighting Troll in Hunger in the Dark on the wide open troll grounds is also good. Fighting the boss spawn by the barn door level is also fun.

When its in a loving canyon or Halescourge cliffs, or barracks, or around the market and getting stuck on everything it's really miserable.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Lunethex posted:

I shouldn't have to use Stealth solely as some way to save a teammate who shouldn't have gone down in the first place. If my abilities were useful they probably would not have ended up in that situation. Same thing with Ranger Smoke Bomb which might as well not exist. No reason to pick up a teammate because it doesn't solve the problem of enemies being around them or anything incoming that will just wreck them as soon as they get back up.

Yeah I just started a Dwarf holy moly that smoke bomb is really bad. Seems half the time they still aggro though it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Whats the point in doing deeds? Reward seems the same as what you'd get with a 3-tome/2 grim game. Is it just for the challenge?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
What do Reds even do anyways? Sounds like they're basically Primal Ancient items from Diablo, which is they're exactly the same as Ancients but just have highest roll stats all the time?

Xaris fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 22, 2018

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ciaphas posted:

Was sour as heck in discord the first few games of this but it is growing on me a little, though I'm still confused as hell by a lot of mechanics

Anyone recommend any youtubes or whatever i can watch/read while I'm bored at work tomorrow?
idk but i'll always play with my 'pos buddy and I can show you some ropes and we can dick around and chop up rats later when i get off work. it's really not hard but theres some unintuitive things like make sure to block a lot, shove and stab, and that you can block while reviving another person, and what tomes/grimoires do, and what to do when fighting a boss spawn.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Coolguye posted:

a point where a weapon just suddenly starts doing more damage/pushing harder/cleaving more. it isn't a point by point smooth progression, it just gets an entire chunk of bonus damage/etc all at once

Is there a list somewhere?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

fadam posted:

Dang it is crazy how much of a god beam staff Pyro is compared to any of the Saltz or Kruber classes. I'm bummed I'm not going to get to play with it for very long before they nerf it.
depends on how they nerf it

but alternatively, play unchained and get good with not clutching the beam (entirely anyways, still very much so). it's more fun and interactive. Also Bolt Staff is pretty drat good too

I would hope Conflagration and Fireball staffs see some buffs tho

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ravenfood posted:

I just tried this on vet and I'm pretty drat sure that Unchained's explosion will not stagger them.
That's unfortunate, I never actually had a chance to try it but I hoped it would

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

NeurosisHead posted:

I feel like the new elf is pyromancer. 6 pub champ games tonight, every single one was torpedo'ed by a 30 pyromancer who never let go of W or would go out of their way to attack every chaos and stormvermin patrol. Also got kicked from two different groups for having the temerity to suggest "we might not need the 2nd grim, we've been having a pretty rough time" before the pyromancer could completely sabotage things.
pick it up then junk it "on accident whoops meant to throw my bomb!"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Duck and Cover posted:

It's rad when games stop being about having fun.

this was Payday 2 a few weeks into it. fun at launch then people would just bomb rush the loving stupid jewelry store or whatever over and over and over and over and over like.. what

taht said i havent found v2 to be anywhere near that and people have been ok at worst and p decent usually

Xaris fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Mar 25, 2018

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
I swear I dread getting a pub Kruber than anything else and seems like recent infestation of them like mad like the last several days. Almost every single one is loving stupid, sits way too long just fighting some chaos trash and ends up losing half the health all the time to some armored guys they decided to fight off way in the back or something.

It almost seems like younger-brother-playing-your-account bad. Otherwise I've had pretty good pub experiences

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
So I decided to take a Sienna break and started playing Drakepistol Dwarf (lvl17), he's a lot of fun and it owns like never dying. But is it just me or does M2 on the pistols loving suck? It seems to do decent stagger, but no real damage unlike M1. What weapon pairs best to take out armored guys? I like having the Shield but not sure if its necessary. I like the feel of 1H hammer against regular guys but 1H axe seems to chop into armor better.

Also for the Lvl 15 talent, it seems like no brainer for 13s Gromril Armour right, or is that 10 temp health actually better?

I'm not close to 25, but is there also a best choice there? I'd guess 15-s Impenetrable since the taunt seems pretty wonky though I could see the pros of having bosses taunt on you if that actually works?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Coolguye posted:

i think at least a decent part of the pistols's current meme status is a holdover from VT1, when they were pretty much the best weapon bardin could bring if you rolled with targeteer. targeteer made them quite accurate and there was no such thing as ranged dropoff in VT1 so you actively could pop heads with it from an impressive distance away. couple that with the fact that it's alt fire did some serious work and it never used ammo and it was a hell of a weapon.

now, of course, targeteer isn't in the game even in spirit, ranged dropoff is a BIG thing, and the alt fire caps out at meh.

They're fun and satisfying to use though :(

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

AggressivelyStupid posted:

get scrounger(or whatever the crit gives you ammo trait is) on your grudgeraker, buttstroke a horde for all your ammo back

its really not hard

:tipshat: I gave Grudge a try when some people said not to use pistols and I found it hot garbage because I would literally have no ammo for it almost all the time and run out at opportune times, I couldn't imagine people were recommending it over Pistols which at least you can rely on to always shoot. I'll try to roll a Scrounger trait on it and maybe I'll fall more in love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
People are finicky but usual adapt after a day or two. old saying as far back as HL mods where people would be upset over changes--"pros adapt; noobs die".

just load up er fix and let people go at it and tweak from there.

alternatively, you never fix or nerf anything then go onto the Payday 2 / Dungeon Defenders solution which is just have poo poo continue to slide up that power-curve and throw in ~INSANITY~ modes and then another XXX DOOMDEATH mode when that isn't enough, of course you'll have to pay for the DLC