Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Playing with pubbies for the most part since I got the game and it's been a pretty fun experience thus far. I've tried all the beginning classes out in a couple of games each and I've gravitated towards Saltzpyre as my main I guess. I really dig how fast he is on the attack and how his strong swing is a stab, poo poo just feels natural.

Some pub games seem to devolve into a big 4 player Vermintide 5000 race though, like who can blaze through the mission as fast as possible. Which results in everyone getting spread out, some Assassin Rat or a Hook Rat taking people down, resulting in some major backtracking and then because of the general way everyone is playing, we get trampled by whatever boss rat shows up.

My only other complaint is that I wish killing the fat Nurgle wizard was more satisfying. That son of a bitch is a real motherfucker and when you finally kill him he just disappears in a puff of green sparkles. Lemme stick my sword through his face, for Sigmars sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Skypie posted:

I've had the opposite experience, amusingly, where pubbies will grind the mission to a halt in order to get a grimoire or tome, regardless of how bumpy the ride has been so far.

Listen, everyone has been downed twice and we desperately need to escape the manor, please stop tagging the last tome and run away

I've had pub games like this too, at first I wasn't even loving sure what the hell they were doing because I didn't know about grimoires or tomes or any of that poo poo, so I was following them around while they scoured for the books. Then I'd get lost, then a hook rat would come for me to take me back to the slave pits.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Digirat posted:

There’s no gore effects on any specials now and it makes me sad

It doesn't need to be much. Just let me, I don't know, lop his drat head off.

After being taken for a swirlie a few times by his bloated rear end it's anticlimactic when you finally catch him and he just poofs.

Because I'm so new to the game I wasn't even sure if he actually died a few times until I started to pay attention to the kill ticker in the corner of the screen or listening to the dialog exchange between the heroes.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

so for melee headshots, if my cursor is pointed at a head when i swing, it should connect, right? or if a rat's head is positioned within the sweep on a weapon strike, will it snag that headshot? I feel like the weapon animations are often disconnected from the result.

I dunno man, when I practice the rapier on the dummy at the hub castle if that dummies head is bobbing from a previous strike I need to be pretty accurate with my timing to poke it again while it's in motion. Same thing when I'm firing my brace of pistols at it. Seems like the hitbox is exactly where the head is, I don't know if this is shaped different with Skaven than with humans but it kind of seems like it so maybe that contributes to that snagging headshot feel?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

A vampire count, tomb king, lizardman and a Brettonian walk into a Ubersreik tavern...

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

The elf is a wood elf not a high elf.

Not sure what class it is that makes her look like a loving hunched over Skaven, but I kept thinking she was rat until I got used to her silhouette. I don't recognize elf unless they're tall and haughty.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Meridian posted:

Bardin is the poo poo.

What this game needs is Greenskins.

I was just thinking yesterday night how that would be pretty amazing to add Greenskins to the game. That or have them join in on the Skaven and Nurgle fun for the inevitable Vermintide III.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

A very good idea for a new character I think: a Bretonnian wizard woman. You get a Bretonnian, but it's more different and interesting than a Knight (who'd just be some kind of Kruber with a bit of Slayer Bardin). She's not just a second Sienna either because they use different magic so you could have like lightning and wind and stuff.

Like a Grail Damsel? That would be cool. The three sub classes could be Prophetess, Priestess and Enchantress.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

UberJew posted:

could have that too but plenty of bretonnian women pretend to be male so they can get in on the Knightly Quest Action

Wight King: "NO BRETONNIAN MAN CAN DEFEAT ME"

Grail Knight: "So about that..."

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Is there a good wiki or guide that explains what all the weapon traits are? Like there's obvious ones but what do weapons with crowd control do for example? Also what is considered a monster?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

7c Nickel posted:

Beamstaff is stupid.

I played a game of recruit where I literally just followed behind a Sienna all game while she beamed everything to death. At one point I just resigned to being a mild distraction for bosses and gutter and hookrats

It was probably the most unfun the game has ever been so far, but I'm sure it was a BLAST for the Sienna player.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Is there some way to control the Elven Spear so you can decide when to do a trust as opposed to a swing?

It seems kind of lovely that it just comes out as one or the other in circumstances when you'd want a specific attack with it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Stanley Pain posted:

It cycles slash/stab if all you're doing is charged attacks. If you're throwing in light attacks I find the next charged attack will almost always be a stab.

So you just sort of have to keep track of the kind of attack you last did if you have any hope of using the spear effectively?

I might just stick to the glaive in that case. :(

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

the push strike is always a swing and is pretty good!

Cool. So if I'm understanding the way the spear works, a follow up attack after the push strike should come out as a stab?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Koldenblue posted:

Is there a lore reason that the stormvermin carries a tiny rat around on its back? It looks neat, but all that the tiny rat seems to do is wiggle around and provide a second weakpoint to hit.

That little rat grafted to their back are the brains of the otherwise incredibly dumb Stormfiend combo. The combination of the brain rat and the rat ogre allow the Stormfiend to use weapons like the warpfire thrower and actually think somewhat better on its own without a pack master around.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

explosivo posted:

My one friend is needlessly invested in the post-game stats screen and noticed that the numbers are not always consistent when players compare them. He keeps saying "this game needs a lot of work still" and then only cites the fact that the end game stats aren't accurate as the reasoning for this. Is this a known thing that will be fixed so I can tell him to shut the gently caress up about it already?

Man your friends sound terrible to play this game with.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I recommend joining the goon Discord, and while I have yet to actually do it myself, find groups there to kill rats with instead.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It would be cool to see Team Scores for things like Total Kills, Specials Killed, Elites Killed. Then for each hero you would want "Final Blows" or "Solo Kills" for individual kills.

Along with Damage Done stats it would be cool to have a "Healing Done" score. Either for yourself or to others.

Maybe some general "Weapon Accuracy" stat would be cool.

Obviously there should be one for "Damage Blocked" or "Damage Absorbed", too.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Playing as Iron Bardin with double drakefire pistols is rad as gently caress and has so far been my favorite ranged weapon. You're like a tiny Sienna. It also frees up pretty much all the ammo drops for Satlz, Kruger and Kerillian.

Speaking of Drakefire, the flamethrower seems kind of...underpowered? Fire damage over time seems kind of weak, even against hordes of slave rats.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

WE'RE THE UBERSREIK FIVE! ER..FOUR! ...IT DOESN'T MATTAH!

Magitek posted:

It's really great against hordes, but that's it. Considering there's at least a dozen different weapons which are of similar effectiveness in that situation, it's just not good enough.

rap music posted:

DoT makes little sense in a game where 99% of the monsters die instantly to direct damage

Ya, it should send slave rats and dudes into a fleeing frenzy when they get lit up by it. As it is, it just sort of toasts them a little bit.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Blunt Instrument posted:

What are you even talking about, it absolutely incinerates everything

Am I not using it right? I point the part that shoots flames at ratties and rotfolk and press the mouse button. Then it spews flame at whatever I'm pointing at and my heat meter goes up,

But...things just don't die quickly to it for some reason? If anything it just seems to set them on fire and make them angry. Then everyone else has to finish them off because they don't actually seem to die from the fire. Maybe it's the level I'm at or the weapon is too low level or the proper illusions are lacking?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The weapon I'm asking about is the Drakegun. It fires a burst of flame with the M1 and from what I can gather, when you press M2 you sort of hold it outwards more and you can release longer clouds of fire. It's never a steady stream like a flame thrower or anything like that.

It's probably too low level, but I'm running Vet difficulty missions and right now even with a Blue rank weapon (whatever rank that is) it feels like I'm just sort of lightly toasting everything instead of melting them with infernos of death.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Just wanted to 100% check you’re doing this right. Hold down M2 and you’ll see your heat meter start to rise. There is a maximum. The longer you let it grow, the longer the flamethrower will last. When you want to fire, start holding M1 down. Do not let go of either of these buttons. You should now be spewing forth flames for a long period of time and wrecking hordes.

:aaa:

I did not know this and I'll give this a try asap.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Welp, turns out that holding down M2 before firing the Drakegun makes a HUGE loving difference! Thanks Real Cool Catfish!

Is there practically any point to even using M1 by itself?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Who's the number one ranked competitive Vermintide 2 player in the eSports world and what's their Twitch channel? I wish this game had global rankings.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Does FatShark know about the Chaos Spawn bug where it endlessly holds onto you and never lets go? A random group I was running vet with yesterday had this happen to the sole surviving Saltz player until the rest of us all died on the ground. poo poo was hosed up but kind of funny.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Derp. Guess I should learn to read.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I wonder if they'll nail the bug where your mouse curser shows up on screen while you're in a mission.

Usually pressing escape to bring up the menu and then exiting it quickly gets rid of that one though so it's a real minor issue.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Tom Gorman posted:

So, you learn something new about this game every day.

I had no idea that Rush Intervention was ACTUALLY a thing, and count me as one of the people that thought it was all in my head. When a team leaves you behind, or you run ahead, the game actually does intentionally spawn poo poo that is meant to gently caress you over, specials, hordes.

code:
rush_intervention = {
			loneliness_value_for_ambush_horde = 25,
			delay_between_interventions = 30,
			chance_of_ambush_horde = 0.25,
			loneliness_value_for_special = 15,
			distance_until_next_intervention = 30,
			breeds = {
				"skaven_pack_master",
				"skaven_gutter_runner"
			}
		}
	},
This is something that apparently existed in VT1, but really more people need to know about this. I had no idea.

STICK TOGETHER

Go figure.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Nothing quite as annoying as making it 3/4 of the way through a mission and getting disconnected with no option to rejoin the sesh you got disconnected from.

Welp, I didn't want to play all night anyway.

(yes I did).

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I can't wait for the mod that will turn Markus Kruber into a Stormcast Eternal.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Yes.

Also I would like a mod that turns Bardin into a Squat.

Scrunt will also do.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So there's a glitch that insta-kills you if the game thinks you've fallen down a hole or something because of lag?

I was rolling through the SpineManglr level and just destroying the hell out of ratties with a full health Kruber. Then out of nowhere I straight up died from nothing.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Someone explain how to play Handmaiden properly. Anytime I do I just regret not going Waystalker instead.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I have no idea what you dudes are talking about.

Game is good and is lots of fun to play.

Sorry you don't enjoy killing rats.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

During Empire in Flames my rando vet team was picked off one after the other by the evilest hook rat.

First it hooked Sienna and dragged her off the map just as I turned around to try and save her, while our Kruber kept hacking away at slaverats.

I get mobbed from behind by ratties and while I'm in the moshpit I got hooked and dragged past the invisible wall. My limp carcass should have been a warning to the Kruber and the IB to start paying attention to the hooker instead of the slave rats.

IB doesn't seem to care so he gets hooked while the Kruber kept doing his thing. I chime in that he should do something about the rat with the stick.

Nope, while he's lipping me off and trying to school me on the ways of the Foot Knight he gets hooked.

:boom:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

What's better? Critical Hits granting temporary health or Kills granting temporary health?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

CapitanGarlic posted:

So I have this thing where, like, I'm forty hours into the game, havin' fun, getting all my characters (except Kerillian because I have standards) leveled up, and I just

don't give a poo poo where tomes and grimoires are

I understand folks wanting to get them, and if we get them on a run hey great, but I just cannot for the life of me cannot remember where they're at and honestly don't give a drat.

Eventually you're going to remember some of them. Like, I don't actively try to memorize where they are but even I know where a handful are located, especially the really easy ones like the tombs on Righteous Stand.

And I know how to get like, one Grimoire on Into the Nest.

But yeah, for the most part I don't bother with them unless the majority of the party decides they want to give it a shot. Extra XP is always nice when you're trying to get all your trait unlocks.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

You're better off finishing the level as quickly as possible because that already gets you 625 exp.

For real? I joked about this being a thing because everyone in pub games usually seem like they're all racing for first place in the Old World's Worst Foot Race, but if this is actually a thing why isn't it tabulated in the score screens somewhere?

Or is that what Renalds Gift actually is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Skypie posted:

Skittergate isn't quite as bad since they've cleaned up a lot of the bugs, but it's still kind of a slog. Boss missions need to give something extra and Skittergate should probably reward double boxes or something.

What bugs happen on Skittlegate?

And I agree that the reward for completeing it should be somewhat higher than other missions, which would lead to everyone constantly grinding it but right now the XP you get just doesn't feel equal to the work required to finish it.

The RNG gift should at least be more on average.