Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
crucial tips for beginners:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pfVGfWEUOw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Willie Tomg posted:

OH GOOD I was quietly pulling for this thread title :D

:riker: :respek: :madmax:

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

and download 19 gb :negative:

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

cliffdiver posted:

This Skittergate ain't gonna destroy itself, fellas.

Or actually it probably will idk.

it'll work BUT it will cost the lives of countless skaven as they scurry to fix it, much like fatshark employees this evening probably

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
lol first attempt at champion since launch spawned a horde, two ratling gunners, a chaos warrior patrol, a globadier, an assassin and a troll at the first barn on against the grain.

it did not go well and I took it a little personally tbh

bolt staff with heat sink feels absolutely ridiculously strong since the fix to huntsman and BH, heat sink is probably getting nerfed when the masses discover it

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Cowcaster posted:

coming from vermintide 1 where i used to run nightmare quickmatches relatively smoothly, trying to just get through a quickplay veteran mission so far today has been a shitshow. i hope it's just because the game is brand spanking new and not because i'm awful at it.

it's been a complete crapshoot on veteran for me today, some runs with lvl 5-8's went smooth as silk and then next game a bunch of lvl 25+ guys will run off in different directions and get killed by clanrats while cursing calling each other noobs on voice chat.

as long as you're not running off and getting killed or needlessly using healing supplies it's not you, it's them :kiddo:

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Willie Tomg posted:

yeah, things are a little fiesty and its bizarre to see in a game i really got attached to for its chill and welcoming community. i give the problem children a week for them to burn out on extrinsic progression and find something else to be mad at.

the really toxic ones have been a very loud but very small minority for me but they tend to stand out in ones memory more than the 5 games that were fun and everyone had a laugh despite wipes and mishaps

I do mostly play with friends during prime time though so maybe I narrowly avoid a lot of idiots that way?

A Bug posted:

If you right click while channeling the beam, you do a blast where the beam is targeted. It generates a fair bit of heat but functions as a nice sniper weapon in addition to the beam/shotgun options.

finally! since I couldn't figure out how to do it in the beta - and no wonder if it wasn't in, I swear I tried every mouse button - I just put beam staff in the same category as conflagration staff, but now with heat sink it'll probably even be good!

Martout fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 9, 2018

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Wait...you can blow up your beam? I had no idea and I played vermintide one. How does that work does it do a lot of damage? I’ve been using a bolt staff

it's actually probably better than bolt staff charged attack because it's hitscan and does about the same damage. we accidentally pulled a full stormvermin patrol on champion while split up 2 and 2 and I basically killed them all singlehandedly before they could get very many swings off.

I shudder to thing what my friendly fire damage is when playing heatsink sienna though :ohdear:

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

DaveKap posted:

I see this post, I see people replying to it, yet I have no idea what you're talking about despite maining fuego lady. How do you blow up your beam? What is that exactly?

1. hold down the beam mouse button
2. without releasing the beam button, press the other mouse button
3. apply liberally to specials and bosses

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

ZoninSilver posted:

Some of my favorite lines so far are absolutely the deadpan "really?" responses to using healing items at near full health and whiffing bombs entirely.

I did one of those irl when a slayer Bardin used a grenade on three clan rats right before skaven warlord boss.

Now that the masses are starting to unlock the level 12 classes slayer Bardin players have dethroned elf players as the worst by a country mile for me. No ranged option? gently caress it just charge in and never stop charging in.

Also when playing on champion and we're getting a swarm and Sienna is in the group and very obviously capable of covering an avenue of approach - let her. I'm standing there, to the side, melting slaves by the dozen and yet people will charge right into my fire to get a handful of kills while shouting about me burning their undeserving arses. Kruber mate, if you run in like that your arse deserves it.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Small and Blue posted:

The reason not to use them is if you are playing on Champion they do a ton of friendly fire damage and are so inaccurate you will hit your teammates all the time. Also an ironbreaker shooting at things with the pistols is an ironbreaker not controlling the enemy in melee.

A pubbie dwarf using the pistols is probably a worse thing to have on your champion team than an elf.

a lot of stuff that works wonders on Veteran are complete traps on Champion and I think the game would need an end of round stat for friendly fire damage with a red circle and preferably an insult in khazalid to go with it in addition to several weeks worth of behavior adjustment to get a lot of players to understand this

I would also be in favor of a stat for "unnecessary friendly fire damage taken" to name and shame people who run in front of me to kill two slaverats while I'm covering a corridor while they leave 2 other approaches uncovered because for a second no rats showed up that way (only to 5 seconds later be swarming our butts, naturally).

and for people to just generally get to and stay in good chokepoints during hordes to begin with I guess, and a large fries please.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Cowcaster posted:

just looking at the patch notes as someone who hasn't played the skittergate level yet, wow the skittergate level sounds like a hot mess

yeah don't bother playing it until they fix stuff, gotten to the final boss three times, bugged out or had otherwise weird poo poo happen that wiped us like falling through the map etc. three times fun fun fun

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Cowcaster posted:

the eternal hope is that they'd bring up the other staves to the beam staff's level than the other way around but that seems pretty unlikely. a fair nerf might be just swapping the bolt staff and beam explosions damage values, it's really weird that the one that has several drawbacks winds up also doing less damage than the one that has none of them.

I think the charged bolt pierces more enemies in a line or something and that's prob the reasoning behind the damage difference

the real problem is more about the Heat Sink trait and how crits work with the beam staff

for those not in the know it either crits or it doesn't per channel so once it starts critting it keeps critting for as long as you keep channeling which means it will melt everything it touches and also that you generate no heat whatsoever. this is WILDLY overpowered but also a known bug so it'll get fixed eventually.

now Heat Sink is just straight up too strong - get crit chance on the pieces that can get it and if you have a bolt or fireball staff you will crit often enough at high heat levels that you almost can't overheat as long as you have something to shoot at. Coupled with 100% venting on ult every 35 seconds or so at lvl 25 you can shoot everything forever and as much as I love doing it it really needs to be nerfed

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Vargs posted:

People absolutely go for the tomes/grimoires in veteran, and it is irritating to no end. Higher rarity gear doesn't really matter until you open enough boxes to reach power 300 stuff since you replace your junk so often. If you all die because some idiot took the second grim in a group that was struggling (and probably ran off all by himself to do it), you get no loot and have made no progress towards max power equipment where rarity is actually a worthwhile goal. Even in the short term, your next box will have lower power loot than it would have had if you succeeded originally, which probably would have been more valuable than that extra +2.8% damage vs berserkers you could've gotten on a blue instead of a green.

Guaran-loving-tee that if your party has 3 people below level 8 and they're all on death's door, you're gonna hear that grimoire sound cue. I might start rushing down grims myself solely to pick them up and destroy them.

gonna disagree a little bit here, you'll want to get a decent sized stash of green/blue/orange powders for rerolling stats and traits and every 100 item power level or so craft a desirable orange weapon imo - makes the road to power level 300 items from chests smoother and more fun

getting a heat sink staff on pyro sienna or a 20% attack speed for 5 seconds on crit for a crit focused melee class makes a world of difference

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
red crit as in red number on the target dummy? because those are just any time that number is over 4k crit or not

if not, why "red" crit?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Coolguye posted:

i swear to god

yeah it's so dumb and misleading and I just don't get it, granted I've never gotten exactly 4k (or 40) only 4075 at the closest I think, but 3975 deffo isn't red. thanks for explaining!

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Phlegmish posted:

I'm also wondering what the best way is to play low-level Kruber. Do you just clean up the trash? Even with a mace, which must count as a blunt weapon, I don't seem to be very effective against armored opponents. The shout is nice, but stamina takes years to recharge. I'm flailing around and I'm not super bad, but I feel like I'm missing something.

e: I also have a quick mechanics question, how does Power work? Does it just determine your overall Power level, or will weapons with higher Power actually hit harder?

mouse over your power level and the game tells you it affects damage, cleave and pushback

exactly HOW it affects these things though is all speculation and anecdote at the moment

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Coolguye posted:

since everyone is correcting me now i DID make an update post testing this junk after i got off work that evening, but apparently it's easier to find this post that's like 15 pages back but not the correction that's 10 pages back

the short version is that the BH pistol will if you do not have buckshot and are swole enough for the difficulty level, flaming skull might do it if you manage to catch spaghetti-o in the mouth through luck or merit (which you can't count on)

the shouts from kruber/saltzpyre and the foot knight's charge remain the only things with no IFs attached to them

*aims flaming skull RIGHT at mouth from 4m range*

*flaming skulls flies off to kill a berzerker to my right*

NAILED it!

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
man all I want is to roll up as ranger Bardin with a grudgeraker, turn off all ingame sound, blast E1M1 on full volume and shotgun rats like it's 1994 but instead they fix and buff the elf

for shame fatshark

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Ignite Memories posted:

Are you saying you can't do this currently?

I feel like Doom Dwarf is the only setup that DOES work for ranger

well yes but I want to crit when smoking up and to know what my talents do without trial and error

e:

fadam posted:

Well, I'm in a game right now and he's still just as unkillable so I guess it doesn't matter either way LOL

EDIT: What are you Kruber-heads taking for talents? Using a S+S I've been very happy with:

1.Max Health (best in slot imo)
2.Stam Regen. on Charged Attack(best in slot imo)
3.Humongous boost up to 5% on the defensive aura.
4.Temp HP on Kills. (best in slot imo)
5.100% stamina reduction on block after an ult.

Not sure about the last tier. Other than boss fights I feel like my ult is always off cooldown when I need it just from the CDR from damaging things, so idk how valuable 30% reduction is. I tried the attack boost one out but didn't notice a difference in my damage output, but I might have been in a weird breakpoint or something.

basically same though I don't always run S&S. infinite blocks for a few seconds on a relatively short cooldown is WAY too good to pass up imho and with Stam regen on charge attack and as much stamina on gear as possible you can blockshove all you want and with Off Balance weapon trait (use this!) you can disrupt annoying boss mechanics, shrug off their flailing combos and give your team mates a solid damage boost on top of it.

foot knight Kruber is really really good

Martout fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 15, 2018

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Coolguye posted:

so, a thing about that

i did pretty much exactly that, using 73 commendation chests that i had stored up. it took me from item level 200 to 243. this is uncommonly slow, and tenzarin got all the way to 300 by using similar resources a little differently:

this may just be bad overall luck on my part though, because i finally hit 300 after opening a total of 127 chests.

that's rngesus hating you, I went from 200 to 247 on 37 commendation chests, all opened in one go.

since it rolls +/- 10 the cumulative effect of good or lovely luck is very much significant

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Fuuka Ayase posted:

If one character is doing 'literally everything' as in literally literally, you need to step it up a difficulty level.

only times I've had this "problem" is when I've played a lvl 1 character with enough items to run veteran to level them fast. those times I feel like an appendix, just sort of there without a function, but it's honestly not as bad as some people in this thread make it out to be imo

then again I think a LOT of people itt are exaggerating their asses off and taking issue with the weirdest things constantly (someone took issue thinking kerillian and kruber are boning or something like wtf)

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
I think Hero Power -> damage might be less breakpointy in the beta patch?

I found some gear that let me go from 334 to 335 and 341 to 342 on the elf

On the second heavy attack swing headshot with a glaive the difference between both sets were 0,25. 61,75 - 62,00 and 62,5 - 62,75 respectively. Not claiming I understand it completely but I seem to recall needing way larger differences in HP than that to get different numbers on the dummy?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
killing rats feels so good especially now that my two fav weapons halberd and glaive don't whiff hits

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Ravenfood posted:

And since I just unlocked slayer, a good alternate melee weapon besides the dual axes is, what, something good for more crowd control since the axes are armor-piercing can-openers? So either of the hammers, or the two-handed axe?

triple axe loadout pro loadout

not sure how it fares at legend but I've been getting some good work done with 2h axe at champ on both IB and slayer

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Futaba Anzu posted:

is taal's blessing not supposed to stack with the trait that refunds a bullet on headshot?

it seems to work, I lose the arrow I fire and gain three so a net gain of two and head level shots into a horde give like 10

AndyElusive posted:

Can I get some pro tips on ways to effectively play Salty Zealot?

Also is it better to go with the falchion or flail? I feel like fal is better for WHC and BH.

now that all flail light attacks do some AP damage it's just straight up better than falchion I feel. dunno much about legend but on champ I just basically wade in swinging the flail charged -> light, charged -> light into hordes. against specials it kinda depends on whether you want to get in a few quick hits or go for a stagger smackdown. the flail is great at staggering on champ at higher heropower so smacking maulers and CWs around the head with heavy attacks can provide a lot of CC, it's also obviously amazing against shieldvermin.

get some practice with the flails attack patterns, how it combos with its push-attack etc. don't play too safe, honestly, it's a lot of fun to just go to town on hordes and patrols while feeling relatively safe because your temp health goes such a long way with your damage resistance.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
NoGoingBack20GBdownload

now that's a beta access code

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
game runs better, bots are hella better, red overcharge unchained hits like a truck, AoE hits (including fire sword swipe!) and dots show on target dummies but if you stand too close to the dummy no numbers appear at times it seems :shrug:

only played a few games but not encountered that many bugs or glitches, gunners not nearly as noclip shooty so far while blightstormer bullshit is most certainly still a thing

p. good patch so far

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Cowcaster posted:

oh i didn’t know that about the dummies. so does the unchained’s heat passive boost the damage over time too?

it does, the fire dot from the swipe lasts for two ticks each doing 2.75 damage at no heat, hero power 600, at red heat it does 4.5 per tick. The swipe itself goes from 850 to 1350. The dot from the second heavy attack does 2.75 per tick at no heat and 6.25 at red. Crits make the dots more powerful too it seems, the second heavy at red heat on a crit does 7.00 per tick instead.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Question for those on the beta patch, does it fix Huntsman krubers ult just wonking out your graphic settings?

it didn't for me just now but then it didn't always do it for me before the beta patch either :shrug:

Martout fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 4, 2018

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Magitek posted:

Well, the bad news is that the visual bug for Kruber's ult is still present.

The good news is that the other bug with his ult is also still present.

makes the howitzer blunderbuss ult of old look like a peashooter lmao

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Cowcaster posted:

you mind crunching the dagger numbers for me too? i’m curious if its aoe does less damage since you can spam it quicker, or if it does more damage because it’s “smaller amount of targets more damage”

didn't see this until now, sorry. iirc the dagger does the same damage except for the higher damage dot at high unchained heat levels on the second heavy. It seems the tradeoff for faster attacks is smaller aoe and that's it but I only tested it briefly last night and I'm not at home to double check so I could be mistaken!

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

The Duggler posted:

I'm never going to max out anyone because all the heroes are so cool and I want to play them all :(

that's how you max them all out tho so keep at it :)

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
oh also now that attack specific stuff works on dummies it's easy to tell the angle for shade backstabs - the talent that gives ammo seems to not work properly on dummies though

turns out the default is pretty generous, not done any calculations but it feels more like 120 deg than 90, and with the talent that widens it it's nearly 180 deg

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
so I got some notification about the kruber DLC and realized I haven't played this game in ages

what DLCs are good/necessary?
is my wonderful fiery aunt still amazing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
in terms of grouping I play mostly pubs because I have small children that regularly wake up once or twice each during the evening and force me to alt+f4 when playing multiplayer games and I don't want to mess up a more serious run for people who want a more serious group member

does the level cap increase from winds of magic matter much?