Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/hNbiuut.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/1DmVQ29.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/1xBmpW7.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/7OoFQYH.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/3lka5oT.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/eHb5cMS.gifv

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Vermintide is: FPS; hobby-grade coop campaign; genre-blended, multi-rat cooperative e-sports; meta-growth, choice + epic Warhammer Heroes!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

everyone in vermintide is an ugly old person and that owns

Except new kruber who apparently de-aged his beard straight from grey to brown in between games

so how’d that happen

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hard the weirdest bug on the forest level from the phase 3 beta, a second troll spawned not far after a first one, except it was stuck endlessly running against a tree and mzbundifund could not see it at all

we beat it down to the point where it regenerated, which it did without stopping running against the tree, and then its health just stopped going down anymore so we left it and went to the end. Except there was this random green junk in front of the dropdown blocking us from actually crossing and finishing the level, which we can only guess was due to the troll somehow. we had to quit

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

So okay yeah the career voices are just tangled all up.

Buddy who's not played Kruber virtually at all, so he'd just be Mercenary was hosting, I was Huntsman and when I went into my ambush I got the SIR KRUBER HA-HAAAA~ Foot Knight callout.

Saltzpyre was referring to medical supplies as bombs, and said that the dwarves were loyal allies after being healed by kruber

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/0fSkhDW.gifv

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

only if you play as the elf, will you not have to play with the elf

a cruel equation

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah I played over a hundred hours of L4D2 with one friend letting two randoms join in, and I have extremely few bad memories of them. Much like vermintide, it has a sweet spot difficulty (advanced = nightmare) where it's a challenge but good players can win almost every game if they work together, and a difficulty above that (expert = cataclysm) where it's really not much fun regardless of your ability to do it

In both cases, I found that the players who settled into playing that sweet spot difficulty for fun long after the game came out were generally really reliable and chill to play with

It's going to level out a lot in vermintide 2 within a month or two, but I suspect the usual experience and attitude of randoms will not be as good as it was for nightmare/advanced--it really depends how power level/talent crap ends up leveling out, which is impossible to say given how often the balance is changing

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 9, 2018

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

happyhippy posted:

I play with 3 others on our own chat channel and we don't public play. Last night one dropped out and we forgot to set it to private.
So we had a random guy join and during the run he kept randomly saying quotes from The Room but with the game names in a half decent Tommy impression.
'Oh hai Skaven. How is your sex life?' and 'I did not hit her, its bullshit, I did not hit her, I DID NOT!' when he had to be revived.
Made the night for us.

how do I get this guy to join my games

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

How the gently caress do you even reliably avoid the snot wall anyway

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bot PSA on the act 2 boss level: Do not run on the platform around the structure where you get the first grimoire. The bots will hit a spot where they fall and hang off the ledge, but immediately fall right back if you help them up. Rats didn't attack them so we were straight up down two players. This happened on our first time seeing the level.

so we just did the whole thing with two players :black101:

fckin pincushion

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

What difficulty? Gear kinda doesn't doesn't matter outside of having all orange items.

what

gear dramatically matters for damage, targets hit and stagger which are basically all of the defining features of a weapon

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If it was against the grain then that's available from hte start. The first level of each act can be played from the start, and it unlocks the next mission in that act

We could have just gotten lucky or our Destiny Number got big enough or whatever, but we found act 2 the easiest by far (also the only one with an end boss that is both reasonable and doesn't take 6 minutes to kill) so try starting with that

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Difficulty is still pitchy as gently caress so it's hard to say what is the easiest until you've done everything a few times, like the hardest thing we've actually done was the donkey kong country minecart level because it spawned spaghetti-o, a horde, and multiple specials simultaneously in the dark and if we hadn't gotten bigger numbers from playing the beta by that point we 100% would have wiped--I can only assume that's not a guaranteed thing

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

they did some really fucky poo poo to boss health in general. After moving up to veteran I used trueflight volley on bosses a few times and wasn't quite sure it actually moved the health bar anymore (if it did, it was all of a pixel). Still kills specials fine so I know the problem isn't it just doing that little damage. something's wrong.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

i think it’s the battle wizard that says fire walk with me but your callouts are determined by what the host has set as their character’s class which if they haven’t touched sienna is battle wizard. i may be making that up entirely but i remember it being an issue with bardin’s slayer too

fair, but apparently it was a thing in vermintide 1 and no one mentioned it then either!

After the beam staff no longer became absurdly OP (and after they added FF to the blast) it was pretty much necessary to redeem the thing, but I still rarely saw the staff used at that point

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jimbot posted:

They really need to tone down the Bile Troll's vomit. It's range and duration is way too long.

How do you even dodge it, I am dodging perpendicular the instant I see it's about to happen and it doesn't matter. how far away I am also makes no distance

the only time I dodged it was when I accidentally dodged diagonally toward the troll which is ??????

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It's pretty heavily telegraphed, no? He does a retching windup and freezes in one direction. I generally just strive to circle strafe him and as soon as I see him stop rotating towards someone I make sure I'm out of the way.

Yes and dodging perpendicular the moment I see it is doing nothing

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Ah I don't do an actual dodge, I walk normally around him. The dodge is kind of wonky for moving large distances like that.

So how do you not get hit when he spits at you

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Any tips for the boss in Halescourge? I can't ever dodge his acid attacks. And by dodge I mean using any kind of movement, potion of speed or otherwise, trying to not get hit by them.

I would also like to know if there's literally any way to reliably dodge the snot wall

It only seems dodgeable if you are extremely far away with enough space to slip between two parts of it, because at short and medium range you can't do that and he just dark souls 2-style turntables toward you so there seems to be no physical way to actually avoid it if he targets you after telporting even slightly close to you

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The AI director is definitely more idiotic now--while I can't forget that the first game was willing to end a dungeons run by spawning two gutters and two packmasters simultaneously and they each grabbed a player before anyone could react, I can count the number of times stupid poo poo like that happened after 480 hours on one hand

Things like that have already happened multiple times, most often in combination with bosses, and they removed all the good boss killing options without actually fixing the situations that make them necessary :thumbsup:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Using choke points to avoid getting surrounded is basically vermintide 101, it makes the game half as difficult but it’s a very complicated idea for some people who would rather run outside for no reason and take four times as much damage as anyone else

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

Playing with pubbies for the most part since I got the game and it's been a pretty fun experience thus far. I've tried all the beginning classes out in a couple of games each and I've gravitated towards Saltzpyre as my main I guess. I really dig how fast he is on the attack and how his strong swing is a stab, poo poo just feels natural.

Some pub games seem to devolve into a big 4 player Vermintide 5000 race though, like who can blaze through the mission as fast as possible. Which results in everyone getting spread out, some Assassin Rat or a Hook Rat taking people down, resulting in some major backtracking and then because of the general way everyone is playing, we get trampled by whatever boss rat shows up.

My only other complaint is that I wish killing the fat Nurgle wizard was more satisfying. That son of a bitch is a real motherfucker and when you finally kill him he just disappears in a puff of green sparkles. Lemme stick my sword through his face, for Sigmars sake.

There’s no gore effects on any specials now and it makes me sad

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It's a bit disappointing that harder missions don't give better rewards in any capacity, was it like that in vermintide 1 too?

You could do the long rear end skittergate mission, get through 4 or 5 boss fights, somehow carry 2 grimoires though to the end from the start, deal with the bugs throughout the mission and 30 to 45 minutes later you'll get the same exp/chest reward as running against the grain for the hundredth time in 15 minutes.

Would be nice if there was a exp bonus for harder missions or special crates that have a higher chance for heroic deeds.

How was patch support for vermintide 1 after launch? was it clear after awhile they were working on the sequel instead?

It was extremely good overall and the point where fatshark weirdly disappeared actually happened when they were making the console versions, not vermintide 2, which was in between drachenfels and karak azgaraz. it’s safe to say that karak azgaraz, stromdorf and death on the reik were all made during development of the sequel and all of those are awesome, so it’s safe to expect support for awhile. although I expect they crunched a lot to get this release out when they did and it’s still really buggy since they never open beta tested half of the maps, so I would not expect actual content additions for some time

To answer your first question I’m not entirely sure it’s intended for missions to vary in difficulty as wildly as they do, but they never did a thing to make Dungeons any less of a miserable kick in the crotch so maybe it is

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I’d be happier if they didn’t show up at all because goofy rat bros are cool and awesome while muscle men are boring as poo poo

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Willie Tomg posted:

I'll grant that was a particular showcase area to demonstrate the footman's abliity to solo carry with 200IQ play, but its not like the game isn't a frenzied run from chokepoint to chokepoint and strong melee control falls off, ever. In my view there aren't really any good options in the wide open, because you're in the wide open and with this game's specials that's a terrible thing.

If nothing else it comes into its own on Legendary, because no way are you gonna get every elite before it closes with you.

This is the truth. If the level isn’t made out of choke points then you find them and move to them. getting surrounded when you have any way to avoid it is a mistake, and ranged weapons alone do not keep you from getting surrounded with the number of enemies you have to contend with. Funneling enemies and controlling them with melee is the great equalizer. I have yet to see anything in the new game that changes that fact, although it’s possible something or other fundamentally changes on legend that suddenly makes this not the best strategy anymore

but legend sounds like a loving miserable experience so I don’t much care as long as this still works on champion

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

huntsman kruber needs a special rework, but bizarrely he might actually be better at archery then the elf

he gets, as far as I can tell, the same weapon as her longbow, so you can headshot specials and also penetrate and kill a few rats in one shot. And his talents give ammo back on headshots, with a weapon trait also doing the same if you need leeway. He won't melt people with a cold stare of his single eye like bounty hunter and isn't aggressively reliable as he is as SIR KRUBER, but he might be that one character who can just keep the ranged weapon equip the whole run.

No, his longbow is actually quite different than elf’s. Its base accuracy is lower, it slows you down substantially more when you shoot, aiming takes way longer and actually stops you dead if you aim all the way, and it gets less accurate when aimed instead of more (or maybe it just stays the same and the crosshairs widen equal to how much the screen zooms in)

In return the thing hits like a freight train

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Coolguye posted:

it does not hit substantially harder for it to be relevant beyond bosses, though. kerillian's longbow can still one shot most elite units on its strong attack (presuming suitably high hero power) and is otherwise better than kruber's longbow in every measurable way.

combine the fact that waystalker's active is orders of magnitude better than the huntsman's and the longbow is simply not a persuasive argument to use the lumberjack.

Yeah, and the thing is really drat hard to use anyway because its combination of slowing you down + preventing you from switching to melee for pretty much a full second after you shoot means it’s really likely to make you get hit if you try to do any kind of clutch snipes with it in the middle of a fight

I’m having better results for sniping by just taking the handgun with the lumberjack’s 20% faster reload, but the handgun has a pile of issues of its own in this game

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

Ugh, the game just will not match me into a fresh run. I did 4 levels just now, each shorter than the last, culminating in this one.

Easy loot sure, but I want to play the drat game.

Hell of a damage taken stat, though...what’s your secret

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I see very little reason to use most shields over the 2h hammer in this game, their most important quality from 1 was ruined so you don't get much in return for their very bad killing power while the 2h hammer still CCs nearly as well as it used to, without sacrificing the ability to kill for ol' kruber

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lt_Tofu posted:

You do realize you can accomplish the same thing by alternating your first heavy attack with a push. The push resets the heavy attack combo. Toss in some light attacks after the push. Very easy rhythm to maintain.

Stamina regens slower in this game so this will rapidly run you out of stamina, making it unsustainable unless there is a way to stack that much regen (but the 30% from mercenary talent still wasn't nearly enough when I tried)

maybe this is the hidden value of the handmaiden that secretly makes it the best class...

Firstborn posted:

What is the shield thing from rats I that you are talking about? I didn't play it.

Shield charge attacks were all shield bashes that could be infinitely chained, and the sword & shield and axe & shield's charge attacks came out about three times as fast which meant they could batter back an entire horde in a choke point. shield bashes only damage 1 target but they make a "bubble" that is guaranteed to stagger all other targets around that one, and do not recoil on stormvermin, so this is hands down the best CC in the game unless you really need a bit more sweep in a single attack.

it did have the problem with the mace & shield and hammer & shield being strictly worse than the others, which was never fixed. The other two shields were incredible team weapons though, and on nightmare weren't even that useless at killing if needed.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

that map is buggy as poo poo

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

:smugwizard: Bombs and gobbos, now that's a good mix!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What they really have to do is make it so the beam staff has a % chance to crit on every tick instead of the entire channel being a crit, it's absurdly powerful to have the entire beam crit for the entire duration especially when combined with heatsink to do it forever and health on crit to fill up your healthbar with temp health forever, only weakness is getting flanked by a straggler your team isn't watching for you.

How did the beam staff work in V1? did it have a % chance to crit every tick or the entire channel?

Crits don’t exist

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah the righteous stand church is unbelievably dark for me, before I turned my gamma way up in the closed test it was practically like fighting in the dark in dungeons.

also please let us turn off whatever effect blinds me when I charge a fireball

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Kaedric posted:

(his right click is 'move forward', don't ask me why)

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lamp oil is fantastic though