Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

I can't believe we didn't think to cast the DK Crew as Matlock, since he is a detective attorney and has the theme song that would probably best work as a David Wise track.

On that note, where the hell is the Matlock/Ace Attorney crossover?? And Donkey Kong is the client.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's odd that Diddy never adds a couple of parting shots to all this boss punching. I guess they can't count on him being there, but it'd be nice to get some acknowledgement all the same.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Glazius posted:

It's odd that Diddy never adds a couple of parting shots to all this boss punching. I guess they can't count on him being there, but it'd be nice to get some acknowledgement all the same.

In one player, Diddy is almost entirely there as extra hits and some jetpack usage. He doesn't really have a role or activity outside of that. He gets more active in two players, since the second player controls Diddy entirely autonomously and at the same time as Donkey. This makes the platforming a little bit harder since now you're dealing with two players and collapsing platforms that don't wait. That being said, if the second player hits the barrels/bosses, Diddy will go to town. There's just not a way to play as only Diddy.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

The Thread was destroyed,
but hey, what can you do?

Donkey Kong is gonna send you back to the stone ages in this episode!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'd say the minecart egg was more Buster Keaton than Three Stooges. I mean, that level was basically the back half of The General.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...wait, a technology zone? This is DK's island, why has it got technology?

...Funky, have you been running an outsourced labor camp to feed your car stereo habit? Have you been running several outsourced labor camps?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Glazius posted:

...wait, a technology zone? This is DK's island, why has it got technology?

...Funky, have you been running an outsourced labor camp to feed your car stereo habit? Have you been running several outsourced labor camps?
But...DKC1 already had factory levels...

K. Rool's factories (probably), admittedly. I guess Donkey Kong just didn't clean them up because he's lazy (I think that's canon).

I always wanted to play this game ever since I got a Wii (I buy my consoles late, so it had already been out for a few years), but never found a cheap used copy, and eventually my Wii, my TV and me ended up in different countries. Fortunately, it got re-released on 3DS, so I got that. However, I'm not super happy with the game. I don't know if it's just that the port is kinda bad, but mostly, the controls feel a little...off for me. It's hard to describe, it's like Donkey is just a liiiittle bit too clunky, it takes just a millisecond too long to turn around, to start rolling, to be able to roll-jump with full momentum after you start the roll; you have to be somewhat deliberate in your button presses, like start a roll -> tiny delay -> push the jump button, otherwise he won't roll-jump, but do a dinky normal-rear end pathetic jump if you just hammer the roll and then the jump button. This has killed me so many times. I wanted to do the time trials in the earlier levels at least, but it seems completely impossible to me with that kind of imprecision. Am I being weird about this? Usually, after playing a platformer a while (and I did reach the final boss, just couldn't be assed to beat it yet) I get used to its idiosynchrasies, but something never completely clicked between me and this game.

Apart from that, it's just lovely. I really enjoy how they hide their secrets, they setpieces are amazing, the music and atmosphere rule, I just wish the platforming was smoother.

Oh! And chart me up as someone who does think the bosses take too long. This last one really frustrated me, because he has three distinct phases and each phase adds two attacks, and you basically have to get hit at least once by them to understand what's going on (ducking under the fire breath, his fake-out shell instant-close, even the first "this time he stumbles backwards instead of opening the shell!"), and I am pretty bad at consistency, so I usually also get killed by that hit, or at least lose Diddy and suddenly it's far harder, and then I die. And then you have to redo the first two phases again. If you do it perfectly, it's not that long, but his constant animations of screaming in anger, charging up slowly, taking his sweet time to fall over backwards, opening up another level of the fight etc. just add up and it gets super grating after at minimum the third time you have to do it.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

Oh! And chart me up as someone who does think the bosses take too long. This last one really frustrated me

Yeah, this one can really take a while the first time, I'm still not quite sure how the instant shell close is supposed to work. Because I think it only closes instantly if you try to jump directly on it, but if you jump over him it won't suddenly close on you. But I'm not quiet sure. I think i get what you're saying about the controls, but I like the way you have to roll into the jump instead of hitting roll then jump instantly, it just

Simply Simon posted:

you have to be somewhat deliberate in your button presses, like start a roll -> tiny delay -> push the jump button, otherwise he won't roll-jump

I think I get what you're saying about the controls, but I like the way you have to roll into the jump instead of hitting roll then jump instantly, it makes a lot more sense to me rolling into a longer jump, but maybe that's just because I played a lot of Jak and Daxter growing up! But yeah I recommend playing the Wii version over the 3DS, or maybe trying out Tropical Freeze if you have a WiiU or Switch!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I do (since recently) have a Switch, and was eyeing Tropical Freeze. I think even with my general control issues I'll get it just for the spectacle.

...I'll still play it on a small screen because I don't have a TV here (a big reason for why I got the Switch right now instead of waiting like another two years for a possible price drop, haha). But that really wasn't what kept holding me down, I just wanted to FLY and it didn't let me :D.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

I do (since recently) have a Switch, and was eyeing Tropical Freeze. I think even with my general control issues I'll get it just for the spectacle.

...I'll still play it on a small screen because I don't have a TV here (a big reason for why I got the Switch right now instead of waiting like another two years for a possible price drop, haha). But that really wasn't what kept holding me down, I just wanted to FLY and it didn't let me :D.

Funky Kong will take you everywhere you wanna go

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Simply Simon posted:

Tropical Freeze was good enough when I played it on my Wii U that I am thinking of also getting it for Switch too, if that helps.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Donkey Kong visits the Amazon warehouse!

The concept art for the factory is one of my favorites, I love the implementation of old Nintendo systems into it's design!

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Nothing hotter than a monkey in a tie!

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

That was a bit... anticlimatic.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

NHO posted:

That was a bit... anticlimatic.

He dropped the freaking moon on the bad guys head. What more do you want?

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

More than nine hits and two stages of not that visually impressive final boss.

Well, hope Temples give us Second Ending.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

I had the crew back at the lab cobble together our descriptions and it seems like this is the guy we're after

But seriously thank you so much to AwrySquare for this fantasic fan art

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

TheJayOfSpade posted:

I had the crew back at the lab cobble together our descriptions and it seems like this is the guy we're after

But seriously thank you so much to AwrySquare for this fantasic fan art
Bananalchemy: the science of understanding, deconstructing, and reconstructing Bananas. However, it is not an all-powerful art. It is impossible to create kicking rad shoes out of nothing. If one wishes to obtain heelies, something of equal value must be given. This is the law of equivalent soapchange; the basis of all bananalchemy. In accordance to this law, there is a taboo among apechemists. Giant handmutation is strictly forbidden. for what could equal the value of opposable thumbs?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

READY STEADY GORILLA

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Every time I look at this picture I find something new to love, like Diddy's Heelys.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I don't even remember most of these levels. I don't think DKCR is a bad game but the original DKC trilogy was a lot more memorable.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

DoubleCakes posted:

I don't even remember most of these levels. I don't think DKCR is a bad game but the original DKC trilogy was a lot more memorable.

DKC2 has the uncanny ability to make even a carnival seem boring

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Huh, the ending cutscene actually changes if Diddy's still with you when you beat the final boss.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Thanks everyone for enjoying the LP, you've all been great!

So for collecting all the puzzle pieces in the temple instead of getting concept art we get neat dioramas of the worlds. These are just pictures of them, but they're still pretty cool, especially if you wanna see Diddy try to shoot anything and everything!

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Here's the concept art we get for beating the game

And the art we get for beating the golden temple

I really love these designs and I wish more of them got used in the game!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for all the Donks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

TheJayOfSpade posted:

I really love these designs and I wish more of them got used in the game!

Yeah, I like this slightly less cartoony verson of Donkey Kong. It actually reminds me a little of the Wonder Boy relaunch art style.

• Locked thread