Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

The Thread was destroyed,
but hey, what can you do?

Thanks to my sister for the banner art!

Donkey Kong has been one of the most recognizable video game characters since his inception as the titular character in the 1981 arcade game Donkey Kong. He was a large cartoony gorilla, something that drew attention to the cabinet. He was an icon, one of the early symbols of the medium. The only problem was that Donkey Kong was such a large and detailed character, at the time it was impossible to make a game where you could play as him. His rival Mario had moved on to greener pastures, but ol' DK was stuck in the past. There was a ten year drought of games featuring the big ape, until 1994 when Donkey Kong's arcade debut was remade for Game Boy and later that year Donkey Kong was given a starring role and his own Country to boot!

British developer Rareware was given the reigns for the arcade golden boy and they managed to produce 3 of the most successful games for the Super Nintendo with the Donkey Kong Country trilogy. The games were praised for their cutting edge graphics and soundtracks; as well as introducing an entire new cast to the Donkey Kong universe. Rare was made the goto team for Donkey Kong games up until the Gamecube era when they were bought by Microsoft. Donkey Kong still appeared in games, and even had a few of his own such as Jungle Beat and King of Swing, but fans clambered for a new “true” Donkey Kong game.

Retro Studios is a studio based in Texas. Even as a relatively inexperienced team they did what Nintendo themselves had no idea how to do and brought Metroid back, and in 3D. They seemed like miracle workers, nearly single handedly turning Samus Aran into one of gaming biggest icons after years of silence from the series. They seemed like the perfect team to resurrect the 800-pound gorilla in the room for a second time. (I think they did a pretty good job)

I'm TheJayOfSpade and Donkey Kong Country Returns (and its sequel Tropical Freeze) are two of my favorite platformers. I'll be playing through the first game solo and getting 100% (this means collecting everything in all the levels, no time trials). Joining me on commentary are notorious monkey lovers ChorpSaway and FutureFriend.

TheJayOfSpade fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

TheJayOfSpade fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 10, 2018

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

There's a hack that allows you to play with a Classic Controller, which I wholly recommend.

I don't really mind the motion controls, but yeah the Classic Controller is the way to play this game. It's a shame that it's not coming to the Switch, because I'm sure it'd play great on the Pro Controller

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Glazius posted:

Of the uses for the Wii remote, "flail violently to punch the snot out of something" is surely one of the most appropriate.

Second place goes to Mad World where you shake the Wiimote to shoot a man a bunch

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Grab your coconut scented sun screen! It's time to hit the beach!

Here's all the extra art we unlocked in this episode:

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Donkey and Diddy are learning all about their ancestors in this episode of Donkey Kong Country Returns!

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Cranky made a ton of money thanks to his keen business sense

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

MellowMushroom posted:

I'm enjoying this lp a lot. I played DKCR with a friend and remember it fondly. I was wondering though, do you think Tropical Freeze was better than Country Returns?

I think Tropical Freeze is a better game, but Returns is no slouch. I'm real disappointed it's not getting a rerelease for Switch along with TF

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Hold onto your butts! It's a minecart spectacular!

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Unfortunately there won't be a Donkey Kong episode tomorrow. Because of Easter we weren't able to record anything. I might stream to my Youtube channel before work tomorrow, but that won't be Donkey Kong, so I won't put it in the thread.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

This video is more fun than a dang ol' monkey in a tree!

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Thank you Donkey Kong for being my straight edge hero

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Donkey Kong is gonna send you back to the stone ages in this episode!

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

Oh! And chart me up as someone who does think the bosses take too long. This last one really frustrated me

Yeah, this one can really take a while the first time, I'm still not quite sure how the instant shell close is supposed to work. Because I think it only closes instantly if you try to jump directly on it, but if you jump over him it won't suddenly close on you. But I'm not quiet sure. I think i get what you're saying about the controls, but I like the way you have to roll into the jump instead of hitting roll then jump instantly, it just

Simply Simon posted:

you have to be somewhat deliberate in your button presses, like start a roll -> tiny delay -> push the jump button, otherwise he won't roll-jump

I think I get what you're saying about the controls, but I like the way you have to roll into the jump instead of hitting roll then jump instantly, it makes a lot more sense to me rolling into a longer jump, but maybe that's just because I played a lot of Jak and Daxter growing up! But yeah I recommend playing the Wii version over the 3DS, or maybe trying out Tropical Freeze if you have a WiiU or Switch!

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

I do (since recently) have a Switch, and was eyeing Tropical Freeze. I think even with my general control issues I'll get it just for the spectacle.

...I'll still play it on a small screen because I don't have a TV here (a big reason for why I got the Switch right now instead of waiting like another two years for a possible price drop, haha). But that really wasn't what kept holding me down, I just wanted to FLY and it didn't let me :D.

Funky Kong will take you everywhere you wanna go

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Donkey Kong visits the Amazon warehouse!

The concept art for the factory is one of my favorites, I love the implementation of old Nintendo systems into it's design!

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Nothing hotter than a monkey in a tie!

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

I had the crew back at the lab cobble together our descriptions and it seems like this is the guy we're after

But seriously thank you so much to AwrySquare for this fantasic fan art

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

DoubleCakes posted:

I don't even remember most of these levels. I don't think DKCR is a bad game but the original DKC trilogy was a lot more memorable.

DKC2 has the uncanny ability to make even a carnival seem boring

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Thanks everyone for enjoying the LP, you've all been great!

So for collecting all the puzzle pieces in the temple instead of getting concept art we get neat dioramas of the worlds. These are just pictures of them, but they're still pretty cool, especially if you wanna see Diddy try to shoot anything and everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Here's the concept art we get for beating the game

And the art we get for beating the golden temple

I really love these designs and I wish more of them got used in the game!

• Locked thread