Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Hi, Games.

I want you to know that I know MMOHMO exists and has a thread about this. So does GBS ( I made that one, and i still need to update the OP., but I digress)

Did you know SWGEMU still exists? It's come a long way, jedi are in via the village system (no holocron grinding).

I want to head of a certain kind of person. The MMOHMO has a limited, very limited number of active posters and an even smaller base of lurkers, and I've attracted many fine fellows from GBS, but that thread has been waning after attracting many fine people. Even still, I've deemed it necessary to reach out here for new players. We find newcomers 3-4 times a week, but we need more. I've revived the old Goontown as the Caliphate Of Afgoonistan, we are a rank 3 town, which means after much pain, the city is not far from being a fully fledged city of commerce, fihtiing. more city features are on the way, but I we need more players, and this game deserves your time. It's like no other MMO ever made, as it runs the last publish before the CU/NGE upgrades that made it a pretty bad WoW clondam having a lot of fun bringing the goon presence on Basilisk back from near extinction. Many old buildings still stand, and you might be surprised to log on and find your stuff is still there, depending how much maintenance you paid in before quitting.

Here is where I copy/paste the gbs post, that will likely answer many questions you may have. Some info is outdated to us but the tl;dr is join our town, and guild, we'll hook you up wiht some starter kits, a swoop, a kit of armor, some starting credits, and maybe a tour of mos eisley and a demonstration of how the player society in this game is. We really would like to see you guys join us.

basic hitler posted:

Me and some goons have opted to play this game. We're doing quite well all told. I expected this to end in disaster but things are going well.

If you are already aware of SWGEmu, get yourself setup and join us here. We are a friendly bunch and happy to help even the dumbest questions, as this game has quite a curve.
https://discord.gg/aCZX5tm

If you want to join the guild or help us grow goontown, AKA the Caliphate of Afgoonistan. I am the current mayor, and Kazr is the current guild leader, although he has been absent lately, so i have taken control of guild affairs until her returns. A handful of us can invite but i'm the one loser with the most free time and i'm frequently not far from the guild hall due to managing the city and getting people set up. Goontown is starving for citizens and I'm starving votes to make it a useful player city. As it stands we are due to be upgraded to village in a day or two. Beyond that we need way more citizens, and I need votes because votes translate to politician exp which translates to me being able to place useful buildings like shuttles, garages, and clone centers. We're currently on dantooine.

I recently inherited a large house thats currently outside city limits, but the goon who owned it signed over millions of server-best or near-to-server best materials, and millions in credits. I have a crate of swoops and a great many means to help newbies or people who are making new characters/have limited in-game resources, as starting from scratch in this game is a ball-buster.

If you don't know about SWG, or SWGEMU, here's the essentials of Star Wars Galaxies' history and why the emu exists in the first place.

This game launched in the early aughts, after a rough beta where the players rightly pointed out the game was busted, it launched in a broken state. However, within a year of release the game was a fascinating and rapidly improving sandbox where the goal was less about being Luke Skywalker (although there is a path to being sith/jedi), and more about making your way in the star wars universe. It shut down some years ago, apparently in a bid to force all of the dwindling subscribers to play Bioware's way worse MMO and not confuse the market, as the sunset date was almost the exact same time as SW:TOR's launch. SWTOR is an interesting single player game if you love star wars poo poo, but it's nothing like Star Wars Galaxies, and is a themepark MMO to SWG's sandbox mmo.

The death of SWG wasn't a mournful event for many people, because after years of mis-managed development, mostly driven by Lucasarts foolishly forcing SOE to take the game away from its sandbox roots in a bid to get WoW-like subscriber numbers, Galaxies was more or less overhauled in two infamous overhauls called the Combat Upgrade and the NGE (New Game Enhancements). Together, this basically stapled on theme-part mmo gameplay and most people hated it.

SWGEmu aims to re-create the game at its technical peak, before the CU and NGE, using the final publish before those changes for its base. And it's almost there! Some features are missing, for example everything having to do with Jump To Lightspeed does not work. Jedis are finally in as well, using the final method of becoming a jedi, the Jedi Village. Instead of holocron hunting (holocrons are worthless except as house decorations), you earn badges, which make you force sensitive. Once you're sensitive enough, you can start the grindy path to becoming a sith or jedi, which is decided by your faction affiliation. Imperial players will unlock the sith path, and rebellion gets the jedi path.

It's worth noting that <GS> is an imperial guild and most of our members are neutral or imperial. Although none of us have any problem with people who want to be rebels, you'll have a hard time pvp'ing with us.

Here's why you should join us goons and <GS>
The short of it is this: If you like sandbox games, SWG at this point was the ultimate sandbox mmo. An entirely player driven economy like Eve Online, but with a game underneath that's actually fun to play.

This is a game where you can build a house, build a town, and just about every role is available to you, you can prospect for minerals, you can be an architect, you can become a renowned armor or weaponsmith. You can do whatever the hell you want, including picking a side in the rebellion. I'm currently neutral but I'll eventually be taking sides myself. If you get involved in PVP you can purchase military bases and other things. Bounty hunters can hunt down and kill jedi and sith for cash. Teras Kasi artists can become unmatched kung-fu masters who can wreck your poo poo, and marksmen can kill you before you even see them. There is a lot to do, and all kinds of roles from combat, to crafting, being a bio-engineer, or a combat medic capable of releasing horrifying diseases and poisons on the battlefield. Or if you're into basically being a stripper getting paid in tips, you can train to be a dancer while a friend trains to be a musician. You start out as a blank slate and you can do whatever you want in an entirely player driven economy.

This game has one of the most interesting crafting systems ever made. Not all crafting materials are made the same. Take something like steel, not only are there different kinds of steel, there are varying qualities. You'll frequently harvest garbage that's worthless, and if you craft with garbage materials, you get ineffective, inferior items as a result. Because of this, no two sets of armor, no two swords are ever completely identical. The game also allows you to craft and harvest resources on an industrial scale. You start out surveying and gathering on your lonesome, but when you begin finding valuable resources you'll find yourself planting automated harvesters of varying sizes, and suddenly you're putting down factories to produce the weapons, houses, and armor to sell in large quantities, as high-end goods and materials are always in high demand.

If you're interested, you need to find yourself a copy of Star Wars: Galaxies. There are legitimate ways, and there are illegitimate ways to do this. I cannot advocate piracy but personally I don't give a rats rear end how you get your copy as the people running the server can't prove it one way or the other. If you get in trouble or find yourself dealing with admins and devs, they may ask for proof of ownership, so if you do go the piracy route, dont talk about it and dont get in trouble. Don't be stupid. This isn't Eve Online and acting like a jackass easily gets the wrong kind of attention.

Now that you have a copy of SWG, install it. Then you need to go here and make an account: https://www.swgemu.com/forums/index.php

Then you need to download their launcher: http://launchpad2.net/setup.exe, which will then patch your game and allow you to do a few things and comes with a skill calculator and other handy things.

This server allows you to have 10 characters, and it allows you to multibox two at a time. This is handy, because there are several very useful and lucrative professions like entertainer that are very boring to play unless you enjoy roleplaying a jizz-wailer or a twi-lek stripper, you'll be using those characters to fund more interesting adventures.

I know this isn't usual GBS or games fare, but the MMO HMO gets very little traffic and So far the people this thread has attracted have been very laid back and fun people. Join us in discord and come have fun with us. Again, that discord link is https://discord.gg/aCZX5tm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
a billion years ago when i played this i felt like i had the impression that there wasnt really an end game, like it was killing a giant slug and then one person got a unique but worthless blaster diablo loot style or something. is that not the case/was i mistaken

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Verviticus posted:

a billion years ago when i played this i felt like i had the impression that there wasnt really an end game, like it was killing a giant slug and then one person got a unique but worthless blaster diablo loot style or something. is that not the case/was i mistaken

You can get a crafting material that makes guns stronger by killing a krayt dragon, that's about it. There's not like, cool boss fights with fun strategies or anything, it's very MMO 1.0.

• Locked thread