Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Seven. Guess how many cats they have.

Trick question! Only the narrator was going to St. Ives!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
The Chris McCandless thing reminds me of a post I saw on imgur one time.

A young girl was on a school trip (or something) to Chicago and she decided to rent an inflatable raft and just paddle herself out to the middle of loving Lake Michigan and admire the Chicago skyline and read her book... and post about how magical it all is on imgur, naturally. Another imgur person saw it and took her kayak out there to rescue her dumb rear end because the sun was setting and she was a mile out and couldn't paddle herself back in. Could have been bullshit, though.

Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

It’s illegal to carry a gun in any federal facility even if you are a police officer.

The security guard had the legal right to detain him :shrug:

Someone link that video of the open carry rear end in a top hat walking into a police station with a rifle on a shoulder harness

he didnt get shot because being white is a goddamn superpower

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Human Tornada posted:

The Chris McCandless thing reminds me of a post I saw on imgur one time.

A young girl was on a school trip (or something) to Chicago and she decided to rent an inflatable raft and just paddle herself out to the middle of loving Lake Michigan and admire the Chicago skyline and read her book... and post about how magical it all is on imgur, naturally. Another imgur person saw it and took her kayak out there to rescue her dumb rear end because the sun was setting and she was a mile out and couldn't paddle herself back in. Could have been bullshit, though.

Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Just recently some loving knob on a jet ski tried to get to Isle Royale in Lake Superior from Grand Portage, about 20 miles. Got lost in some fog and ended up in the middle of largest lake in the world with no gas. If he didn't have a phone on him he would've died, no doubt. Lake Superior is not a friendly lake.

Edit: here's a link to a news story.
https://www.twincities.com/2019/07/16/man-rescued-isle-royale-jet-ski-lake-superior/

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
People don't tend to realize just how loving big lakes can be until they get out into the middle one. Even little ones can be deceptively huge.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

ToxicSlurpee posted:

People don't tend to realize just how loving big lakes can be until they get out into the middle one. Even little ones can be deceptively huge.

It's true. You can easily lose sight of the shore out there. And I'm not too familiar with other big lakes, but I know that on sunny summer days way up on the North Shore of Superior, a thick, heavy fog can just appear out of nowhere. One minute you're admiring the beautiful view, the next you can't see more than 100 feet in any direction. It's not really a secret either, so I gotta imagine this guy had no idea what he was doing.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

he is from alexandria, virginia which is a literal bog where if you end up on the water it is approximately 6 inches to the closest shore

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I rented a tiny motorboat on Lake Minnewanka up here, they said we had a full tank of gas and believed them, were given a time frame of how long it will last. We didn't have a full tank. We ran out in the middle of the lake and all we had was a single emergency paddle which doesn't do much to move a boat with 3 adults in it.

We ended up rescued and rowed back after a different person also ran out of gas even farther out, who had reception and was able to call the boathouse.

They told us when we returned that the other lady saw us being rescued first and called back FURIOUS. How does she know we didn't call? She didn't. It was really funny.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

gschmidl posted:

Good. loving hats "worth" tens of thousands are the one thing stupider than bitcoin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaOgZwk9rN8

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

oh dope posted:

It's true. You can easily lose sight of the shore out there. And I'm not too familiar with other big lakes, but I know that on sunny summer days way up on the North Shore of Superior, a thick, heavy fog can just appear out of nowhere. One minute you're admiring the beautiful view, the next you can't see more than 100 feet in any direction. It's not really a secret either, so I gotta imagine this guy had no idea what he was doing.

Lake Superior is no loving joke. I've backpacked isle royale and it takes 40 min by seaplane to get there form michigan. It's bigger than places called "seas."

I also once camped on manitou island in lake Michigan and on one of the days we had a steady 30mph wind all day and the waves were like the ocean.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

People surf on the Great Lakes sometimes.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMHCW1RIqBk

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Khaled has the mind of a child, and the heart of a dipshit.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

oh dope posted:

Lake Superior is not a friendly lake.

Gordon Lightfoot tried to warn us.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

LifeSunDeath posted:

Khaled has the mind of a child, and the heart of a dipshit.

His performance on Hot Ones tells you all you need to know about him as a person. It was truly shameful.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
I'm a 911 operator. Not a week ago we dispatched a helicopter because 2 men went canooing at night with a case of beer but neither paddles nor life jackets.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Owling Howl posted:

I'm a 911 operator. Not a week ago we dispatched a helicopter because 2 men went canooing at night with a case of beer but neither paddles nor life jackets.

Were they up Schitt Creek, by chance?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bird in a Blender posted:

People surf on the Great Lakes sometimes.

I had someone, from California, tell me that if they didn't know Lake Michigan was a lake, they would have thought it was the ocean.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If people can't sustain on rabbit-meat for protein then that means the movie Us makes even less sense /pedantic

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Gordon Lightfoot tried to warn us.

So'd Stan Rogers.

(I know it's Huron here, not Superior, it's still a huge lake)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If people can't sustain on rabbit-meat for protein then that means the movie Us makes even less sense /pedantic

The problem is too much protein, and not enough fat. Rabbit is very lean, and humans need fat in their diet.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

iospace posted:

I had someone, from California, tell me that if they didn't know Lake Michigan was a lake, they would have thought it was the ocean.

As a Cali coast boy that has vacationed in Milwaukee my first thought on seeing Lake Michigan was - "How often do stupid tourists die out there?"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tony Snark posted:

As a Cali coast boy that has vacationed in Milwaukee my first thought on seeing Lake Michigan was - "How often do stupid tourists die out there?"

Most people are used to tiny lakes that you can easily see all shores at all times.

Or what kicked off this derail:v:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I was born in Australia and I know for a fact that one step to getting citizenship (outside of being a beer-drinking white-supremacist) is being offered a live-rabbit from the interviewer, and then twisting it's head off with your bare hands.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Tony Snark posted:

vacationed in Milwaukee

Right thread.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bobby Digital posted:

Right thread.

No that would be "Vacationed in Cleveland".

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

I’m from California and I think of lakes as things that I can see the far shore from when standing on the shore. The Great Lakes and similar lakes blow my mind with their size.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I’m from California and I think of lakes as things that I can see the far shore from when standing on the shore. The Great Lakes and similar lakes blow my mind with their size.

Same.

It’s like looking out at the ocean but not? It’s a really weird feeling.

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

Randaconda posted:

The problem is too much protein, and not enough fat. Rabbit is very lean, and humans need fat in their diet.

Eat the brain!

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
There's still enough time to die in such a way that Gordon Lightfoot writes a song about you. That is still an attainable life goal.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.lakesuperior.com/the-lake/lake-superior/how-big-is-lake-superior/

It's just barely shorter to drive from Boston to Washington D.C. than the same distance on the long end of Lake Superior.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Daughter of woman who popularized "gender reveal" cakes and parties identifies as non-binary.

To her credit, the mother is taking this as inspiration to rethink her preconceptions on gender.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Going to Cedar Point is fun because it’s on a small, very shallow island on Lake Erie. At night the parking lot looks like it’s surrounded by a black void.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Daughter of woman who popularized "gender reveal" cakes and parties identifies as non-binary.

To her credit, the mother is taking this as inspiration to rethink her preconceptions on gender.

She seems like a cool mom, handling it in the best way, wheres the schad?

*edit* you loving ninja edited that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

oh dope posted:

Just recently some loving knob on a jet ski tried to get to Isle Royale in Lake Superior from Grand Portage, about 20 miles. Got lost in some fog and ended up in the middle of largest lake in the world with no gas. If he didn't have a phone on him he would've died, no doubt. Lake Superior is not a friendly lake.

Edit: here's a link to a news story.
https://www.twincities.com/2019/07/16/man-rescued-isle-royale-jet-ski-lake-superior/

That's the dumbest thing ever. Just look at the water on the North Shore when you're there. It is not to be trusted. Huge swells. Superior is not to be trusted. Swim out a few hundred feet and then you'll realize you're in an inland sea and nothing makes sense any more. It all seems nice until you pass the break water. Suddenly you have 10 foot swells on a windless day because of waves from the ore boats. My brother and I nearly drowned from the wake from an ore boat over the horizon. The water was glass until the swells hit. It was a bitch to get back to shore. We were getting tumbled. That was around the Temperance River (Tofte). 10 minutes later it was glass again.

Now you want to haul rear end to Isle Royale on a mid-life crisis machine? Good luck with that.

It's all fun and games until someone loses a penis.