Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

COMRADES posted:

Yeah just a reminder though he didn't get in trouble for this at all and this conviction is about defrauding other rich people (who still made a boatload of money anyway).

That's the public story for why this is happening, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
It's still pretty clear that most people don't actually understand what he did and what effect it has and just believed the headline hot takes on it, and the jury also fell for it.

Still, he brought it on himself. If he had just hid behind his lawyers and shut the gently caress up like everyone else that does exactly what he does and worse he would have gotten off much lighter.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Weezy’s new poo poo is the work of a dying elf man whose once prominent magickal powers have turned his brains into goo. It’s depressing and you all are kin to the crowd mocking Joseph Merrick. Suck my balls.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's still pretty clear that most people don't actually understand what he did and what effect it has and just believed the headline hot takes on it, and the jury also fell for it.

Still, he brought it on himself. If he had just hid behind his lawyers and shut the gently caress up like everyone else that does exactly what he does and worse he would have gotten off much lighter.

Orange is the New Black®

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

The_end posted:

That is what you get for ripping off rich people. He should have stuck to taking poor people's money instead.

lmao

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Eat fresh!!!

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
The for-profit prison/judicial system strikes again. Chalk up another American behind bars.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

im sure he'll get out early for good behavior
He gets credit for the 6 months he's already served, but I saw another article saying even with good behavior, he's doing at least just under six years.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

He's being railroaded for something that they all do.

its a good start

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
No. Symbolic crucifixion without addressing failed policies is a farce at best.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
Glad to hear it, people like him deserve much worse.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Turns out being an arrogant smug bitch and doing fraud stuff has consequences

Whodathunk a terrible edgelord like this would be a baby back bitch and cry at his sentencing too

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

How do I get into pharma broing? I'm looking for a career change.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Tell that to pontius pilate

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Pawn 17 posted:

I thought he was using all his companies has a ponzi type scheme where he'd take money out of one to pay debts and hide losses of the other and so on? Are you saying he didn't lose a ton of money for people doing this?

The first part is true in that he lied about the value of businesses/funds to get investors, but he actually was competent in investing that money and ended up making profits for all of his investors.

http://fortune.com/2017/08/05/why-martin-shkreli-is-guilty-when-investors-didnt-lose/

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You have a good rundown on this one?

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Are people allowed to be pleased that this rear end in a top hat got his due while also still being angry that there are a bunch of other pieces of garbage out there doing the same thing

Or what

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
Shkreli ain't my motherfuckin' boy

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

WatermelonGun posted:

Tell that to pontius pilate

Christianity is a farce, at best.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

buddhanc posted:

Are people allowed to be pleased that this rear end in a top hat got his due while also still being angry that there are a bunch of other pieces of garbage out there doing the same thing

Or what

You're allowed to do anything you want. The problem is that he's a sacrificial lamb to make it appear that people like him are accountable, when in fact the only reason he was ever in the crosshairs is because he pissed off some Senators.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
rip sweet prince

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

You're allowed to do anything you want. The problem is that he's a sacrificial lamb to make it appear that people like him are accountable, when in fact the only reason he was ever in the crosshairs is because he pissed off some Senators.

So he did a bad thing and got in trouble and we are angry that other people are still doing bad things in the dark

So you basically just reiterated what I said

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Wonder how good he is at tossing salad.

I blame Disney
Sep 30, 2016

They know what they did
It was a lot of fun hanging out on Blab with pharmabro for the brief period of time that Blab was a thing ( https://medium.com/@shaanvp/blab-is-dead-long-live-blab-d2f72449ddb8 )

They should give him a laptop in jail so he can keep streaming his new life

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
I have absolute faith that the prison system will remould him into an honourable man

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

lol but seriously I posted:

I have absolute faith that the prison system will remould him into an honourable man

:same:

cnut
May 3, 2016

Sentence was too light, imo.

:thermidor:

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
there's always a chance he runs his mouth off to the wrong person and is beaten/stabbed to death

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tallgeese posted:

You have a good rundown on this one?

I'm mostly referring to the people who think he is going to jail for jacking up the price of the so-called aids medicine (which is not explicitly aids medicine) and that he prevented people who needed it from getting access to it. Look at the congressional hearing he had, it was a joke where they had no interest in hearing his side of things because he was a tremendously easy scapegoat because he likes to look like the bad guy.

If he hadn't made such a spectacle of himself and just explained things the way he does if you talk to him in private instead of trying to troll everyone he would have at worst gotten a lighter sentence and at best gotten off with a slap on the wrist. He was going out of his way to be the most unlikeable defendant in history.

Cumfartcocktails
Sep 18, 2010
All great leaders spent some time in jail. Mandela, MLK, Gandhi, and now my prince. He will return from this sentence ready to bring prosperity and liberty to us all.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Very much so. Every one of his investors ended up making profits, and some of them even defended him when the charges were first made. Without his amusing internet persona and high profile he probably wouldn't have been targeted for prosecution at all.

I'll take the right people getting hosed over for the wrong reasons over them not getting hosed over at all all day every day. That doesn't mean I don't want the rest of them to get what they deserve too.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I'm mostly referring to the people who think he is going to jail for jacking up the price of the so-called aids medicine (which is not explicitly aids medicine) and that he prevented people who needed it from getting access to it. Look at the congressional hearing he had, it was a joke where they had no interest in hearing his side of things because he was a tremendously easy scapegoat because he likes to look like the bad guy.

If he hadn't made such a spectacle of himself and just explained things the way he does if you talk to him in private instead of trying to troll everyone he would have at worst gotten a lighter sentence and at best gotten off with a slap on the wrist. He was going out of his way to be the most unlikeable defendant in history.

An incredible self-own to troll his way into a seven year sentence and a felony record because he thought it was fun to act like a oval office.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The_end posted:

That is what you get for ripping off rich people. He should have stuck to taking poor people's money instead.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

An incredible self-own to troll his way into a seven year sentence and a felony record because he thought it was fun to act like a oval office.

I can relate but he just didn't know where to stop. I talked to him one on one a few times and I and several other people tried to tell him to tone it down but being genuine just isn't his thing.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
something tells me hes gonna wish for medicine after getting acquainted with his cellmates

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

I can relate but he just didn't know where to stop. I talked to him one on one a few times and I and several other people tried to tell him to tone it down but being genuine just isn't his thing.

You tried to help the shameful drugs man?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I'm mostly referring to the people who think he is going to jail for jacking up the price of the so-called aids medicine (which is not explicitly aids medicine) and that he prevented people who needed it from getting access to it.

Didn't he send this stuff to individuals literally for free, and the price increase was only for insurance companies?

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Vargs posted:

Didn't he send this stuff to individuals literally for free, and the price increase was only for insurance companies?

Even if true, overcharging insurance companies for prescriptions royally fucks poo poo up for everyone.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Yeah, lovely dudes who crave attention and don't care how they get it usually do this kind of thing. Even junkies know that it's in their best interest to be polite in court, gently caress.

Weeping during sentencing after going out of his way to be the absolute maximum piece of human poo poo possible, lol. What a bitch.

• Locked thread